Galveston......never again!!

Desertbelle

Linking like that will not work (as others have said).

Yet, it was easy enough for me to find.

For those of you looking:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2287220&highlight=just+off+liberty

Linking like that will not work (as others have said).

Yet, it was easy enough for me to find.

For those of you looking:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2287220&highlight=just+off+liberty

Way easier, however that link goes to a web version of the sight vs the app version. Maybe it's when you quote an actual post that you stay within the phone app environment.

Thanks, the review was quite nice

Way easier, however that link goes to a web version of the sight vs the app version. Maybe it's when you quote an actual post that you stay within the phone app environment.

Thanks, the review was quite nice

The link is from Cruise Critic UK version. :)

I clicked on the posters link in the RC forum that was posted and did a search with the title and that's what came up. Is poster posting a link that goes to the UK forum? Although I'm not really sure why it matters where the review is located. It's still the posters view that cruised from there. :confused: The point the poster was trying to make was that there is a positive review coming from a cruiser (no matter where they are from or what board) that states they had a good experience cruising out of Galveston...which happens to be what this entire thread is about. :p

Just so people don't have to worry about following a link....

Embarkation: I was definitely worried about the unfinished terminal in Galveston and arriving early to find long lines and cramped space inside a temporary tent. We parked at 81st Dolphin Parking (highly recommend them) and took the shuttle to the terminal. We arrived at 11:00am (something I had read to absolutely NOT do if we wanted to avoid lines). The luggage drop-off was easy to find and was long, but moved quickly (approx. 10 min.) We went inside the old terminal to pass through security (no line) and immediately walked up to the check-in desk (we are Platinum members, but there was no line for any level of cruisers). We completed the whole process and were on the ship by 11:30.

WE always use porters when we can find them, another great suite perk, was on last cruise we were 1st off and they was a army of porters waiting for us, we had luggage and were outside waiting for our ride before 9am. Only people before us were the people that carried there own bags.

I do agree that Galveston is a challenging port for anyone that has to fly - it's just not flyer friendly. If we had to fly there, I don't think we would cruise from there either.

I never understand why people post this. It is actually a shorter distance from Hobby to Galveston than from Orlando to Port Canaveral. What is so difficult? Yes, Intercontinental to Galveston is farther, but it still isn't that bad.

Edited by zdcatc12
Error in content

I never understand why people post this. It is actually a shorter distance from Hobby to Galveston than from Orlando to Port Canaveral. What is so difficult? Yes, Intercontinental to Galveston is farther, but it still isn't that bad.

because there aren't the transportation options between the airports and the port in Galveston. and what there is is expensive.

only one rental car company on the island, and it closes at 1 on Sundays. (and coming off the ship there are never enough cars on the lot to cover the reservations until others coming down from Houston drive in and drop them off, plus waiting for the turnover(clean the car, etc)

furthermore the area around the port gate is CONGESTED and a PITA to negotiate even WITH the army of traffic cops directing. even MORE fun on a Dickens weekend(last week) or a helluva rain storm( yesterday)

don't get me wrong, we will continue to sail out of Galveston as long as we live in San Antonio, but we also drive to Houston the night before and stay at his sisters before leaving by 0800 to make the one hour drive to the parking lot off site. but for flyers it really is NOT all that friendly/easy/inexpensive.

Shorter distance, longer more difficult trip. And Intercontinental is a nightmare to Galveston. And what's up with that designation anyway. Intercontinental?

Shorter distance, longer more difficult trip. And Intercontinental is a nightmare to Galveston. And what's up with that designation anyway. Intercontinental?

Intercontinental sounded good when the airport opened in 1969 - this was the time of the moon shots, etc., and NASA was down the road.

because there aren't the transportation options between the airports and the port in Galveston. and what there is is expensive.

only one rental car company on the island, and it closes at 1 on Sundays. (and coming off the ship there are never enough cars on the lot to cover the reservations until others coming down from Houston drive in and drop them off, plus waiting for the turnover(clean the car, etc)

furthermore the area around the port gate is CONGESTED and a PITA to negotiate even WITH the army of traffic cops directing. even MORE fun on a Dickens weekend(last week) or a helluva rain storm( yesterday)

don't get me wrong, we will continue to sail out of Galveston as long as we live in San Antonio, but we also drive to Houston the night before and stay at his sisters before leaving by 0800 to make the one hour drive to the parking lot off site. but for flyers it really is NOT all that friendly/easy/inexpensive.

Add to this the hotels on the island that want a two night minimum stay on the weekend.

Add to this the hotels on the island that want a two night minimum stay on the weekend.

I find this a little strange have cruised out of here several times, in April 2014 had no problem getting Hilton for 1 night before cruise for about 120, this April they wanted about 300 and a 2 night stay, so we stayed in a nice place by Hobby.

I find this a little strange have cruised out of here several times, in April 2014 had no problem getting Hilton for 1 night before cruise for about 120, this April they wanted about 300 and a 2 night stay, so we stayed in a nice place by Hobby.

You know the story of the goose that laid the golden egg. ;)

Galveston is major tourist destination,

with two convention centers

and 32 miles of beach

and with lots to do .

Supply and demand being dictated by its assets

seasons , many huge festivals, special events, day trippers , snow birds, spring breaks and summer.

Galveston is not just a cruise port for passengers in and out.

You really are missing something by not staying awhile.

Come and enjoy !

We always cruise and stay awhile .

And never say never again

regardless of port and the struggle .

Life is an positive adventure folks with the right attitude.

Edited by ssb

You're right it is longer--by 5 minutes--however, there are tolls on the way to Port Canaveral that will take up at least that much time unless you have a SunPass. I don't know how 2 miles to I-45, and then straight to the pier is more difficult than stopping for tolls, but if you say so.... Intercontinental isn't a nightmare, just a longer distance.

You're right it is longer--by 5 minutes--however, there are tolls on the way to Port Canaveral that will take up at least that much time unless you have a SunPass. I don't know how 2 miles to I-45, and then straight to the pier is more difficult than stopping for tolls, but if you say so.... Intercontinental isn't a nightmare, just a longer distance.

There is one light between the Orlando Airport and Terminal 1 in PC. Tolls are $2.

Debarkation always sucks in Galveston. I just learned to accept it and wait. Nothing else you can really do. We just mentally prepare ourselves for a long morning. We don't rush one bit (since we drive in) and it saves us a ton of stress.

After the new terminal is finished, maybe it'll get better.

I'm starting to like that some think Galveston sucks for cruising. There'll either be more room for those fellow Texans or the ship doesn't fill as fast and therefore lower rates. Either way it's a win/win if Galveston is your home port! :)

But condisering the price has increased to a 112% level from the time I booked the Feb 14th cruise, I'm thinking the ship fills. Every cruise.

Liberty out of Galveston is doing just fine.

I'm starting to like that some think Galveston sucks for cruising. There'll either be more room for those fellow Texans or the ship doesn't fill as fast and therefore lower rates. Either way it's a win/win if Galveston is your home port! :)

But condisering the price has increased to a 112% level from the time I booked the Feb 14th cruise, I'm thinking the ship fills. Every cruise.

Liberty out of Galveston is doing just fine.

112% might be on the low side for increases

Debarkation always sucks in Galveston. I just learned to accept it and wait. Nothing else you can really do. We just mentally prepare ourselves for a long morning. We don't rush one bit (since we drive in) and it saves us a ton of stress.

After the new terminal is finished, maybe it'll get better.

Not sure when you went, but we got back on the 10th and it took about 10 minutes from the time we got off of the ship until we were outside the terminal.

It took much longer to get on Liberty in Jersey (no priority check in or boarding )

than off the ship in Galveston on repositioning .

Our disembarkation in Galveston was no longer than 10 minutes from staging to curb .

We did not self ,

had leisurely breakfast , back to cabin , then to staging area , # called , walked out , picked out bags , thru Immigrations , disembarkation was a breeze between 5 and 10 minutes total!

Edited by ssb

There is one light between the Orlando Airport and Terminal 1 in PC. Tolls are $2.

Between Galveston and both airports has many routes without tolls , and the lights comments is insignificant and petty. Freeways are next to airports and no lights impede traffic once on freeways at all, until you are by terminals in Galveston.