Splendor drydock

lisajm

We are mid ship on deck 2 and Andy is out steward. We were offered (and accepted) twice a day cabin service.

For the record, we were not able to dock in Costa Maya today AND we have a medical emergency, so we are headed back to Cozumel. I don't think they will allow us off there, probably just dropping off the medical emergency.

Did they say why they couldn't dock at Costa Maya? wind? weather? or medical emergency took priority?

Did they say why they couldn't dock at Costa Maya? wind? weather? or medical emergency took priority?

I just read on John H's FB page (from someone griping about it) that it was for high winds... but there was a Celebrity ship there that docked fine. (So they were very unhappy)

Thanks for the update FLSteve!! Me and my sisters are on the April 3rd cruise with xoWendyxo and are trusting that there won't be any issues. As for the Costa Maya situation, I understand, that happened to us on a Disney cruise. But honestly, Costa Maya reminded me of a ghost town, I didn't like the isolation. It's like the cruise ship industry created that port but never finished it. It felt very strange to me, very strange...

As for the regular menu, I'm excited to try the "Didja Eva..." menu! I'm also excited to have gluten free bread, rolls, pizza and GF CHOCOLATE LAVA CAKE!!!

By the way we had an electrical issue on the ship at 5am. A couple of cabins had smoke in them from what was called a short circuit in an electrical panel. They made multiple announcements in everyone ones cabins at 5am. Closed watertight doors, explained the situation, told people affected not to go back to cabins. AC currently out on decks 1 & 2 as of noon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Is the air fixed now? We get on the ship tommorrow and we are on deck 2 ugh

The AC was fine by later that day. As for Costa Maya, the captain said it was strong currents and winds of 30knots. There were 2 ships in port already but they were smaller and we had to go around them to dock. Can't blame them on that, it's a rocky bottom port too. We had morning service only. We got towel animals in the morning, nothing in the evening. They would leave the next day's fun times in the little "mailbox" outside the door. One morning our daughter slept in and they told us to call when we wanted the service done. Was a bit of a pain not having evening service, especially if you took showers in the afternoon.

I can live with once a day cabin service as long as we are able to flag down our cabin steward and ask for extra towels in the evening. Does anyone know if that is permitted?

Not questioning the safety factor and the captains call not to dock. But when we were aboard the Sunshine docking at Grand Turk it took our ship 30 min. to an hour extra to dock (high winds). But took the Splendor 3 or more hours! That day also they had a medical emergency aboard then as well. Interesting.

Edited by kindatravelsavy19

Since the Splendor was not originally built for Carnival, I do not think it has the same maneuvering ability as the other Carnival ships. I talked to Kevin (Cruise Director) about our missed stop and he said that is why they usually don't schedule the Splendor for Costa Maya (too many times missed). It usually does a stop in Grand Cayman instead.

Since the Splendor was not originally built for Carnival, I do not think it has the same maneuvering ability as the other Carnival ships. I talked to Kevin (Cruise Director) about our missed stop and he said that is why they usually don't schedule the Splendor for Costa Maya (too many times missed). It usually does a stop in Grand Cayman instead.

The ships generally don't care what shape the funnel is.

Oh no were the winds high or 10mph? This makes me a bit nervous. Couple weeks before I sail. That sounds weird if the other ship docked. Seems like they would be on the same page.

We were on the NCL Dawn that same day and we were able to dock in Costa Maya as did the HAL Veendam. Yes it was VERY windy but 2 out of 3 ships were able to dock. Veendam did have some difficulty though and had to circle a few times before they made it to the pier.

We saw the ambulance at the pier and wondered which ship it was waiting for. I'm surprised they didn't let Carnival attempt to dock first so they could get the passenger off the ship.

I've seen it miss Grand Cayman a couple times too the past couple months. We're on Splendor in 3 weeks for our first ever cruise and Grand Cayman is my most anticipated port. I cant wait to swim with the stingrays and see the sea turtle farm. Belize is my second most anticipated port for the cave tubing. I hope our cruise goes smoothly and we're able to make all ports.

I know Cozumel and Mahogany bay are hardly ever missed because of where they dock, they both are on the protected side of the island from wind and waves.

This information obviously is not readily available for comparison, but would it be accurate to say that the Splendor poses a greater risk for missed ports than other ships?

We select our cruises exclusively based on ports...it would be a huge bummer to spend 3 (or more) of 7 days of our vacation at sea on the Splendor. I understand there are no guarantees with an unpredictable ocean and nature, but if the risk is measurably different on the Splendor, we'd definitely change our booking.

This information obviously is not readily available for comparison, but would it be accurate to say that the Splendor poses a greater risk for missed ports than other ships?

We select our cruises exclusively based on ports...it would be a huge bummer to spend 3 (or more) of 7 days of our vacation at sea on the Splendor. I understand there are no guarantees with an unpredictable ocean and nature, but if the risk is measurably different on the Splendor, we'd definitely change our booking.

Tender ports are missed when the weather dictates it for safety. The harbor master makes the decision, not the captain.

The policy is you can 100% have both.

I saw that on John Heald's Facebook page this morning -- a post where he said that last week. IIRC, he said that if a cabin steward tells your otherwise, then he/she is confused and you should speak to Guest Services.

I wish I had seen his post before our cruise on the Splendor last week because we clearly and specifically asked our cabin steward if we could have both and he emphatically told us that it was not an option -- we had to choose morning or evening. I wish I would have known to ask about it at Guest Services.

I have to say, I heard a bit of grumbling about this on the Splendor last week ("Why did the gratuities stay the same if we're only getting half the service?")

I saw that on John Heald's Facebook page this morning -- a post where he said that last week. IIRC, he said that if a cabin steward tells your otherwise, then he/she is confused and you should speak to Guest Services.

I wish I had seen his post before our cruise on the Splendor last week because we clearly and specifically asked our cabin steward if we could have both and he emphatically told us that it was not an option -- we had to choose morning or evening. I wish I would have known to ask about it at Guest Services.

I have to say, I heard a bit of grumbling about this on the Splendor last week ("Why did the gratuities stay the same if we're only getting half the service?")

suggest you send an email to icare@carnival.com with your booking number and tell them what happened so they can correct the issue.

I would agree, I can think of no mechanical reason why the Splendor is any different than other ships in approaching a pier. Have sailed her 4 times and side thruster's worked each and every time. Sometimes it is the weather....

I would agree, I can think of no mechanical reason why the Splendor is any different than other ships in approaching a pier. Have sailed her 4 times and side thruster's worked each and every time. Sometimes it is the weather....

It is my understanding that the mechanical and propulsion on the Splendor is different from most of the Carnival fleet, which many times makes it difficult for it to maneuver, however, I may be wrong.

We were at Costa Maya first, I saw the Dawn and Veendam coming into port when we were already there. My thought process is that we had a scheduled appt. with the pilot early, which resulted in an aborted attempt to dock. THEN he had to go bring in the Dawn and Veendam, since they were scheduled next. By the time those 2 ships were docked it was around 10 AM and the only spot left was the inside slot, which would have been the most difficult space to maneuver into. Again, these are just my observations, but after 55 cruises and having a son who is a Chief in the Coast Guard I am pretty well versed in port operations.

It is my understanding that the mechanical and propulsion on the Splendor is different from most of the Carnival fleet, which many times makes it difficult for it to maneuver, however, I may be wrong.

We were at Costa Maya first, I saw the Dawn and Veendam coming into port when we were already there. My thought process is that we had a scheduled appt. with the pilot early, which resulted in an aborted attempt to dock. THEN he had to go bring in the Dawn and Veendam, since they were scheduled next. By the time those 2 ships were docked it was around 10 AM and the only spot left was the inside slot, which would have been the most difficult space to maneuver into. Again, these are just my observations, but after 55 cruises and having a son who is a Chief in the Coast Guard I am pretty well versed in port operations.

Not that I am doubting you but how so (the propulsion differences)?

Edited by jimbo5544