Does Carnival?

CrazieNCruisingGypsy2

We want to fly in a day early for our cruise. I am wondering if when booking through Carnival do they help you out with this? We HAVE to book through The Carnival Promotions department because we won the cruise. We live close to Amarillo TX and in order to fly to Miami you have to fly through Houston or Dallas. The only flights I see now from Amarillo to Miami get there at 2pm. To me that's cutting it a little TOO close so we want to go in the day before. I don't mind paying if they aren't going to pick that part up from what we won. We are already gonna pay for my 7 year old to go with us.

Just to confirm. As I understand it, you won a cruise (yea for you) and you also won round trip air?

Yes, Carnival does have a "Fly Aweigh" program where you can book cruises and AIR travel. Their program flies you in on the day of the cruise UNLESS you live on the west coast (and sailing from the east coast), then they'll fly you in a day early.

For you, you want to arrive a day early. They have a program for this also. You will have to pay an Air Deveation fee which is around $25 (probably per person) PLUS any additional costs to the airfare.

klfrodo is correct in the description of the program, however the deviation fee is now $50 per person plus increased air costs. Also, you have to make this request at least 45 days before the cruise.

I think that AA has flights from Amarillo to Miami arriving at ~12:45 on Saturdays (you did not mention which cruise and date, so this may not apply to you).

We are thinking of going on February 5th. We can choose between the Victory or the Triumph. Right now we think we are going to choose the Victory. The cruise we won is for 2 people, 7 days out of Miami. And yes, it does include Airfare, it also includes gratuities and transfers to/from airport/terminal. The extra cost to fly in a day early is not bad considering we won everything else. Plus we are taking our little boy and we have to pay for him. We had been saving up for a cruise next year and this sure made it a LOT cheaper for us!

lrskill, small world...we too are from Amarillo! And this summer...we cruised out of Miami...and obviously...flew from Amarillo. We however, have never won a cruise...you don't even know how sweet that is!!! We have always covered all of our own expenses. I do think that it is advisable to fly in a day ahead of time. The first time we cruised...we flew in the day of...and we made it just fine...however, the stress of that day...we could have done without!!! Yet, when the cruise company themselves is handling your airfare...I believe they make extra consessions for you..to get you on the ship....where as if you book your own flights...you are sort of on your own! Anyhow...write back if you want more info from another local from Amarillo. We can share what we've learned. AND, you are going to have a blast no matter what!!!

The hotel is not included, and as an experienced traveler, I'd advise that you book your own hotel. Why? Because the hotel you may book through Carnival is charged by the person (i.e., $99/pp). Depending on the hotel, it is usually *MUCH* cheaper to reserve it yourself. I.E., for 3 guests, you'd pay $300 through Carnival (if that was the price), but you can get a cheaper and nice room for much less than that. Even after you paid for a taxi or shuttle from hotel to port, you still generally come out quite a bit cheaper than booking hotel through Carnival.

Leslie, the 50 pp is just to pick your own flights on the days you want. Hotel is extra. (Unless you are doing a pre-cruise package through Carnival, then the hotel is included and they don't charge the airdeviation fee, but as Jimbug said, be aware the price for the pre-cruise pckg is per person). If the airfare for the just the deviated flights you want is higher than what Carnival pays for their seats, you also pay that overage extra. Transfers to hotel and back to airport or port in the morning are extra. (Carnival transfers are only to and from ship and airport on embark/debark day). If you find a hotel near the airport with free airport shuttle you can go back to the airport and pick up the Carnival transfer, but it might be simpler to just pay for the taxi to the port, depending on where you chooose your hotel. There is the American flight leaving around 7 am that arrives in Miami at 12:45 on 2/5.

FWIW, I usually plan my own flights and arrive the day before a cruise just to be safe and eliminate me obsessing and worrying. But you could get decent flight arrangements on the same day, too, so you have to choose which option is best for you and your family and look at the costs and benefits.

Hey Maxax! It's good to hear from a Local! I won my cruise through United Supermarket's Million Dollar Sweepstakes, and boy, am I stoked! It's a VERY sweet package! I wouldn't have to pay for anything but incidentels if we weren't taking my little boy!

Now, onto the leaving the day of/before...

With a flight getting in at 12:45, how close is the pier? I'm mostly worried about weather, since we're thinking of going in February. Flying American we have to change planes at DFW. Flying Continental we change planes in Houston. I'm also worried about delays! :( If we fly the day before does anybody know any good hotels close to the pier? Right now, I don't even know WHERE the pier except that it's close to the water! :) I don't mind paying for my own hotel, it's just goes with the price of winning...

Hey lrskill! Hi from Amarillo!!! I'm sure we could talk at much greater length later...I'm sort of on the run right now...so I'll make this a little brief.

We cruised out of Miami in June (just a few months ago)...and that was not our first cruise. Anyhow...so its all still very fresh in our minds...DW and I. We flew American...they tend to have a few more options than Continental....plus, we specifically chose the 777 that American flies back and fourth between Miami and Dallas. Nice BIG plane, TV's, lots of room, the works...anyhow...we flew in the day before...which really takes some of the heat off! But you can totally do it all the day of. As far as distance from the airport to the pier...its not that far...maybe a 10-15 minute drive. The concern is just weather or flight delays for any reason.

As for hotels...Oh, sure...there are LOTS of options in downtown Miami...which is VERY close to the pier. We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Downtown...which we booked through Priceline...and really got a good deal. No where in the realm of $100/pp. In fact...we weren't even close to a $100 total! This hotel is pretty nice...and very close to the pier...like a 5 minute ride by cab the next morning. The only downside to this hotel is...you really can't see the pier from your room...and at a lot of the downtown hotels...you can SEE the pier...which also means...you can get up in the morning and watch your ship sail in...or the night before you can watch ships sail out....and that is pretty neat.....it will just make it harder and harder for you to sleep the night before though...just gets the blood a boiling a bit!!! Anyhow...like I said...gotta run...but I'll check back a bit later in the evening!

Oh...and winning what you did...is fantastic...and will save you guys A LOT!!!! However, I don't know how much you know about cruising...but start planning on some other "incidentals". Things such as...alcholic drinks, cokes, shore excursions, photographs, specialty dinning.....all of which those is totally at your descretion...you can do all or nothing....nothing costs nothing...but trust me...you are there...make the most of it...and do some of the extras...plus, you've already gotten such a huge head start with all the free stuff!!!

Maxax -- this will actually be our third cruise, so though not an expert on cruises we're not novices either. Our other two cruises have been out of Galveston. We are going to use the money we had saved up to go on a cruise next year to spend on our 'incidentals'. DH has already told me "Don't buy so many pictures!” Sometimes you just can't resist! We usually buy the Fun Fountain card so that we can drink all the pops we want. As for alcohol...we usually just only drink 2 or 3 drinks a piece.

I'm not sure what all we are going to do in the ports but I do know I want to go snorkeling. DS is 7 and he thinks he wants to go snorkeling too! But must of what I see shows and age limit of 12, so we'll see. If we don't go snorkeling I want to do the 'beach thing'.

I'm still thinking we'll fly the day before and see how Carnival handles that...I would like to try to see part of Miami too! I'll see if they'll just let me book that part on my own!

We're going this Friday to apply for Passports! I'm just TOO excited...and I haven't even booked the cruise yet!

Well lrskill....I guess I should pay a little more attention to your signature block...shoot...you listed a couple of previous cruises! So you ought to be an old hat at this....I admit...at first I thought this was going to be your first cruise?!?! Sorry!!! Anyhow...you guys are very lucky....we would love to win a cruise! GO United huh!!!!

As for Miami...that was sort of our thing too....as in we wanted to see some of Miami also...(we have done other cruises where we just fly into town, got on the ship and away we went)...but this summer we spent a day before and a day after in Miami....(which actually those kind of turn into two days and one night before and...the same thing after. We stayed downtown close the pier before the cruise...but after we stayed in Miami Beach...Balcony room....top floor...over looking the ocean! So like you said, we spent some time running around Miami...even got a rental car for the last two days! Went to places like, Bayside Market Place, Miami Metro Zoo, South Beach, Miami Beach, etc. etc. a lot of typical tourist spots...but shoot...that's what we were!

Anyhow...again...small world. Never thought I'd bump into another Amarillo cruiser on this web site...but then again...if you're a cruiser...what other web site would you go to?!?!

Maxax - not a big deal. I'm lucky if I can get through the entire post much less read the sign off!

We would stay an extra two days if we could, but with DS going we have to get him back in School ASAP. Also, DH works out of town and he'll have to fly back to his job site. I, on the other hand, could sacrifice and take the next week and spend in Miami...if they would let me! But seriously, I'll have to go back to work too! But a Vacation after your vacation??? SWEET!

Finding a hotel that looks out at the Pier sounds just too cool! This may be my only time to go to Miami!

Yes, I agree a hotel over looking the pier would be the most ideal setting...at least before the cruise, and there are several around there....there's a Holiday Inn that is very close to the ships...probably the closest of all the hotels to the pier, and there is a Doubletree that has some great views of the pier along with the Intercontinental...but prices vary. Like I said, we did the Priceline thing...and they typically have around 4 different hotels that they constantly book in that area...one being the Doubletree and another the Hyatt where we stayed. But you know with Priceline...you do sorta have to roll the dice. We weren't directly overlooking the pier...but we were overlooking the Bay with a great view of ships all night long from our balcony. And Hey, I understand about getting back to work, and school...my DW is a teacher in Amarillo...AISD....5th Grade....we are totally slaves to the school year!!! Me...I can take off whenever....but not the DW....therefore...we are kind of relegated to cruising at the PEAK times of the year! We really appreciate those inflated summer rates?!?!?:eek:

If Carnival makes all of the air and ground transfers for you, then Carnival will hold the ship for late passengers or if it is going to be to long time then they will make other arrangements for you to catch up with the ship. That is the only advantage to paying Carnivals over priced (most of the time) airfares.

With that said, I would still come in a day early just so I could relax before getting onto the ship, getting on the ships sometime can be stressful enough. It is nice not to have a early morning ride to the airport and a long flight added on to embarkation.

Paul

The Cool thing about the "Fly Aweigh" Program is that if you fly in a day earily, where ever carnival puts you over night, they have a Registration desk, meaning they will check you in at the hotel the next morning, then bus you from there to the terminal around noon time. The Airport hotels they put you up in are very nice.

Jimbug is correct about booking on your own will save you quite a bit, but with the "Fly Aweigh" program, they pick you up at the airport, bus you to the hotel, check you in at the hotel meaning you get to skip the checkin lines at the terminal, bus you back after the cruise. Very organized and no stress.

I wouldn't mind using Carnival to book the hotel pre-cruise but at $100/pp?? Plus $50/pp?? plus any increase in Airfare?? That would be at least at $150/pp for 3 people?? I think we'll come in the day before and just rent a car or get a cab to/from airport/terminal.

Maxax, I'm glad I'm not STUCK paying premium prices! I could go on this one in the summer but I never know if I can get off then. I have to give them a 30 day notice on what I won, and if I can get off in the summer I usually know the day before! I work for a local refinery in Borger (bet you can figure out who that is!) and I have to schedule my vacation with 7 other people!

Wow, lrskill....that's brutal on your vacation arrangements?!?! 30 days in advance and coordinating with 7 people...you make me feel lucky in that regard!

I think you are right...I think I would book my own hotel, and do the cab thing. We did the cab thing from the airport to our hotel...which was down by the pier...I think it was about $20-25. Then after that...we just took cabs around downtown Miami...usually a $5-10 trip depending on how far we went...and then the next day to the pier...I think it was only around $10....might have even been $8. If I was you...I'd start researching downtown Miami hotels. Oh...and hey, have you checked out the Port of Miami Web Cam?!?! You probably already have...but if you haven't...check it out...its one of the best cams in operation! I watched our last ship....RCI's Navigator of the Seas...come and go from the port...probably a dozen times...whilst waiting our trip!

Hmmm, and yes, I think I know where you work?!?! You might know where I work too....its the place where when you say you're going to nuke something...you are NOT talking about the microwave!

I just reread my post...lrskill...sounds sort of like I meant you needed 30 days for vacation...that wasn't correct. Anyhow...its just the sudden notice and coordination of your vacation that would be a little tough. I can usually pull of just about anything where I work....but with my wife being a teacher...like I said....we are very limited. We believe very firmly...that the Teacher needs to be there everyday!

Anyhow...I think I need to start reading what I type...and just go a little slower!

Maxax - with your 'subtle' hint, I've figured out where you work! Between where you work and where I work, I think they could make the Panhandle of Texas disappear (if not more!). DH just started a new job in August (in IL) and doesn't get vacation until Feb. So I know I can't go before then...I'm actually looking at going on February 5th. And I actually get 4 weeks of vacation every year...don't get more until I hit 20 years! (in 5 years). We usually start scheduling our vacations in November for the next year...it's tough but you get used to it!

Was it hard seeing what you wanted to see and using the cab? If we were to rent a car then we would have to figure out how to get it back to the rental agency. The Hyatt sounds nice (isn't that where you said you stayed?), but I wanta look over the port (if the price is right!) if not, Oh Well! Where do you see the Port of Miami cam at??? Oh, I've got to see that! I used to watch the Elation go in and out all the time before our last cruise!

This is just too cool...talking to another local! Having kids in school (I actually have a 12 yo DD too!) I understand your wife needing to be there! I just don't wanta pay the price for a summer cruise! And with the way Hurricane seasons have been going the last couple of years!

It is pretty neat meeting another local!!! I'm headed off to work right now...so my time is very limited...I'll write more tonight.

Here is the link to the Miami web cam...I know...its LONG. You can also find it through Kroooz-cams...(another web site)...click on it and save it! You can zoom the camera...and move it up and down the pier....the Carnival ships are down the pier to the right...in the picture.

Talk to you soon.

http://live6.truelook.com/face/newface.jsp?func=live&name=/ecodb/wachovia&overlay=default&skin=default&useapplet=false&time=1106176647258&width=640&height=480&quality=65&catalogname=catalog&preset=Miami_Herald/PLAY__________/Cruise+Port+ship+docks

Well...back from work...time to settle in for Survivor! As for getting around Miami by cab...well...the part of getting a cab is very easy...they are EVERYWHERE. We originally...just planned on doing everything by cab...(remember we had days before and after the cruise in Miami)...anyhow...before the cruise we just took a cab to our downtown hotel...(The Hyatt Regency - downtown...there are two...you want the downtown one)...anyhow...like I said that was $20-25. After that we just went down to the Bayside Market Place...which is right there in downtown...its a popular tourist spot...and its close to all the hotels...it was like maybe a $7 ride there...but also...another $7+tip...to get back. We ate at Bubba Gump's Shrimp company...(tourist spot...sure)...but really good food...and this is where we bought our first souvineer glasses of the trip. Anyhow...there are lots of shops there...and a big Marina...I mean..you are right there at the cruise port...that's where you are. Other than this though...we didn't do much before...just back to the hotel...and spent the entire evening outside on our balcony...watching the water...getting ready for the cruise....next day...cabbed it to the pier...with tip...probably $10. Long story short though...with just those few short trips...you can see how we did rack up...$50 worth of cab rides fast...and so when we got back...we did rent a car...because we drove around a lot more then...and doing everything that we did in a cab..would have really added up...especially the 20 mile or so drive it is to the Zoo. The rental car places though...are a NIGHTMARE...location couldn't be WORSE!!! The are near-ish...the airport...inter-mixed...in a mess of highways, construction, detours....its NOT real easy!!! Seriously...for an out of towner...they are challenging...we took a cab to find them...and then drove on our own from there....but it was interesting returning the car!!! I guess it just all depends on how much of Miami you are wanting to see...a few short trips...downtown from the airport, Bayside...or even to South or Miami Beaches...might be the easiest and NOT direly most expensive...if you just took cabs...but I'd budget at least $100...maybe $150 to be sure...if you are doing the taxi thing to and from the airport.

Hotel-wise...I have heard all sorts of positives and negatives about almost all the hotels around the area. We really liked the Hyatt though...we had no problems and thought it was pretty nice...and got it via Priceline. Total cost..$50-60. Room was worth every penny!

Well this has been a "Post" full! Talk to ya later!

You're a Survivor Junkie too?? :eek: Oh, man, ME TOO! It is a small world. I didn't get to see it tonight but I have it (and all the other episodes) recorded on my DVR (don't ya just love DISH!) I had to go pick the DH up at the airport.

Sounds like renting a car would be the pits...don't think we'll try that...DH just told me tonight he's gonna try to get his company to pay for his flight to Miami (they pay to fly him home every 3 weeks!) That will make the price of our cruise even that much cheaper! :) I was just telling him what you said about the Hyatt and the price you got for it! Looks like we'll be checking into that!

I'm would like to go to Miami Beach, I don't know that I'll ever get back there! I'm just ready to go! If I could leave tomorrow, I'd be happy! But, oh, well, I'll wait until February!

Well...its off to work again! Here's my only knock on Miami Beach...(cause its a really nice place)...but after you've been to St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Cozumel, Cancun, The Caymans...etc. etc....Miami Beach all of a sudden...doesn't look as good!

Archived