Does Carnival?

CrazieNCruisingGypsy2

Oh...BTW....Rockwell Rd. to Borger...what were thinking?!?!

We weren't! So after 2 1/2 years of driving back and forth we moved back to Borger!

I heard someone else say they liked Carnival of RCCL. I also know someone that has gone on two Norweigan cruises (one Alaskan and one Carribean) and she HATED it BOTH times! So that's one I'll NEVER take! I wanted to try RCCL out of Galveston because they were going to the Florida Keyes. But with the Conquest being in Galveston now, I'll probably try that one after this next cruise! I think it would be cool! Sounds like it's a good ship! There is also someone I know at work that got his cruise canceled because of Carnival using their ships for FEMA. He's not too happy! He had gotten a good price on the cruise and even though he got his money refunded, he can't get a discount or anything similar to what he was going to get on the Elation. To go on the Conquest it was gonna cost him another two or three thousand dollars! I couldn't believe Carnival wouldn't discount it for him! He had booked his cruise a year ago and was pretty upset...he keeps asking me if I'll give him the one I won! The answer: NO!

As for talking on here...my DH tells me I'd talk to a brick wall if it would respond! He likes to read the stuff on here, but he makes me do all the 'talking'!

Hey Leslie,

As for our cruises...believe it or not...we have always booked directly through the cruise lines themselves. We just go on line...pick out the ship...and what room(s) we think we want...that they still show available...and then just call them up directly and book the thing. And like I said earlier...we always just book our own flights direct too. A couple of years ago...we had some free airline tickets...that we did some more traveling with...and one of those we did our Conquest cruise with.....and this is sort of a long story...but believe it or not (again)....we were in a plane crash. Southwest airlines...a 737...we crashed landing in a bad storm in AMARILLO!!! We were very lucky...it wasn't THAT bad...in that no one was really hurt...but we sure tore up a good airplane! Anyhow...we got a small fistfull of free tickets from Southwest for the ordeal. We were flying back home from Las Vegas when it happened. Anyhow...we ended up going back to Vegas (again)...and took a cruise...and a couple of other things....but those free tickets are long gone now!

As for Carnival vs. RCCL....we had alway heard lots of people saying that RCCL was a notch above Carnival...and we really liked Carnival...but so we thought we had to see for ourselves...so we spent probably an extra grand on top of what the same cruise on Carnival would have cost us...and we did RCCL this summer. It was neat definitely...and in some ways...YES, they were better than Carnival...mostly in the vein of customer service....RCCL really went out of their way...just a bit more than Carnival...but NOT ENOUGH more to be worth another grand...and we liked the food on Carnival better! To each his own of course...but trust me....our next cruise will be back with Carnival!

I actually think I remember that crash! That's big news when something like that happens around here! I can't believe you weren't scared to fly after that...but if it wasn't 'too bad' and you're living to tell about?? It's cool they comped you like that...though I don't know if I'd want to be in a plane crash to receive the comps!

We've signed the DH for all the Frequent Flyer programs that are available because of him traveling so much with his company HOPING to get some free tickets! Before we only flew about once a year, now he's flying every 3 weeks and some in between. The only one we didn't get him signed up for is United. Now if he would just stay on the same airline he'd probably have 1 or 2 free tickets! But he keeps jumping around!

I had talk to another person who had been on both RCCL and Carnival and he said the same thing you did, RCCL was good but not good enough for the extra money he spent.

Don't forget Survivor tonight! I finally got to watch the last episode! So, I'm ready to watch it tonight!

Oh...I watched Survivor! Sorry...just getting back to this post. With you husband flying that much...eventually...it will add up to something!

And as for the plane crash and afraid to fly. Not really, we got over that pretty quick...but I will tell ya that the first couple of times flying...after the accident...were definitely a bit more tense! I have probably flown 30+ times....maybe even more...since then.

Well...Friday!!! That means weekend to me!

Waahoo! It's the weekend, except I have to clean house! And mow the lawn one more time before winter! OOOOOHHHHHHHH, I hate thinking of that stuff...I'd rather be cruising...

I imagine it would be a little tense the first few times flying after the wreck. I know people that won't fly now just because of 9/11! I've only flown once since then but I didn't think it was any big deal. I prefer the extra security, unfortunately not everybody does! I also like watching that show Airline on A&E. You ever see it? It's interesting how some people can act!

Now, I have another question, how exactly does priceline work? I looked at it yesterday, but because I wasn't ready to book anything I didn't get very far. Are you 'bidding' on a room? Is there a chance you won't get it? I've never used priceline, so I don't know.

Hey Leslie!

First off...I'm impressed...I couldn't get my wife to mow the lawn...to save my life!!!

As for Airline...Oh, yes...I've seen it....I watch WAY too much TV!!! And I agree...it is amazing how some people act!!!

Ah...Priceline!!! It really can be a good deal! It has its qerks though....so if you will...bare with me...and I will try to explain this in explicit detail. I will say however, that we have only used Priceline a few times...so I can't claim to be this Priceline "Super-user"...someone else might come along and give you more information...(and in fact...I know there are a few new options out there...in the Priceline system...that I have never used...that MIGHT be a good thing....but bottom line...we just use it straight up...like it was originally set up for).

Okay...here's the deal. Priceline is in little bit of a way...gambling....and YOU GET WHAT YOU GET - THERE'S NO CRYING IN PRICELINE!!!

Okay...so here's how it goes:

Go to Priceline.com

Click on the Hotels tab...(they also have flights, vacations, cars, etc...and it works the same for all...but I assume you are thinking about a hotel).

Type in your location...Miami.

Next it will ask you to pick an area of Miami...and it even offers a nice little map...showing you the locations of the areas to choose from. It also tells you to pick at least two areas....I really don't think you HAVE to do that....I have chosen just one...before. Because I either want something in that location....or not at all. So you pick an area....Downtown Miami is the closest to the pier and where we stayed before the cruise...after the cruise...we booked another priceline hotel...but staying on Miami Beach. (The beach of course...is more expensive). Okay so you pick you area.

Next...pick the quality of hotel that you want...typcially for most people...I'd pick at least 3-star! That's what we typically shoot for...3-star or better...and these are all pretty nice. (Priceline has their own rating system for their hotels....but they are pretty accurite.)

Okay...next is where it starts getting more interesting. NAME YOUR PRICE. Now you just type in...WHAT you think you would be willing to pay for a 3-star or better hotel...in downtown Miami. Would you pay $75/night....or $100....or $150....or $50?!?! Its up to you....name your price....and then....you gamble...or roll the dice that is! Cause what happens at this point is....Priceline contracts with a lot of hotels....and in downtown Miami (I'm just using this as an example...we could be talking about South Beach as well...cause they have hotels there too). But so...Priceline may have 4 or 5 pretty nice hotels in downtown Miami that they contract with...and depending upon the time of year, and how busy some of these hotels are....say, normally they are a $150/night hotel...but they know that in February...they are never more than 65% full....well...that's a lot of $150/night rooms....going totally to waste....so that hotel...contracts with priceline...and says, "Well...Hey, if you can book these rooms....we'll offer 20 rooms for $75/night....and...maybe 10 rooms for $60/night"....or something to that effect. Maybe...they only say..."we're normally pretty booked in February...so...we'll just offer 15 rooms total....at $100/night....cause its better than our rooms just sitting empty." Okay...long story short...like I said...they may have 3 or 4 or 5 of these hotels...waiting in the wings...waiting for your bid...and the gambling part is....that you DON'T KNOW....WHICH hotels these are....OR, if anyone of them will accept your price!

So...you put in your price...and I think you also...have to put in your basic information...(not sure if a credit card gets involved yet...but that does come in sometime around here)....but then you roll the dice. Now then trust me....if you type in $20...for a 3-star hotel...in downtown Miami....There's about a 99% chance...your bid...will NOT be accepted. You put in $100 for that same level of room....and there's probably about a 95% chance...that some hotel...WILL accept that. The real gambling part here is....YOU DON'T KNOW WHICH HOTEL...UNTIL YOU BID HAS BEEN ACCEPTED...AND THEN ITS A DONE DEAL. You cannot back out...that's it...that's the hotel you got...PERIOD!!! I think it is literally charged to your credit card...right then and there...at that time....its a done deal...and what you get is a voucher to print off....and that's what you use to check into...and pay...for your room. Now then the only true saving grace here...is that IF YOU JUST TOTALLY HATE THE HOTEL THAT YOU GOT....then maybe hopefully....you didn't pay so much for it...that it won't just kill you to say...."blank that....I'm not staying there...and I'll just eat that $65." Cause you've paid for it....and you always have the option of NOT showing up there. Anyhow...normally though...you will be very happy with what you get....IF your bid is accepted. You might type in $60/night....and then the system goes off...and thinks for a minute...and then comes back..and the response back to you is...."Sorry, no one accepted your bid." This part kind of sucks...because...Priceline doesn't want you just sitting there...typing in incremental bids by the dollar over and over and over...until you get something...so as a result...once you put in an amount....and it comes back rejected...no matter what that amount was....you basically have to wait...3 days...before you can bid again!!! Yes, you are on hold...for 3 days!!!! (Now there are a couple of ways to bid around this....and maybe some other people might tell you more info here)....but basically...you can just wait three days...and come back...type in all the same information...same area, same quality level of hotel...and this time...say up your bid by $10 bucks...and see what happens....you may get rejected again....(back to another holding pattern....or you may get accepted). Whew....okay....that's it in a nutshell.

There are a few web sites out there...where you can go to chat boards...and see where people are talking about WHAT hotels...they have been getting through priceline...and what their typical winning bids are...but for example....in downtown...Miami....they have 4 or 5....all nice hotels...in the 3-star range....and if you bid...$60....I bet you get one...pretty easy! You could perhaps....get away with even cheaper...$40?!?! If you want to stay at Miami or South Beach....you can do the same thing...but $40-60/night...isn't going to cut it there....probably take more like...$100+. After our cruise....we stayed ON THE BEACH...in Miami Beach....I got the hotel...in the summer...for $90/night. It wasn't a bad place...but when we got their....our room had no view....so....we went back down to the desk...and asked if they had something better....with a balcony...overlooking the ocean....and for like a $25 upgrade...that I just paid right there...extra...on top of what we paid on priceline...they put us on the VERY top floor...with a balcony....looking directly over the ocean. NOT BAD!!!! Awesome in fact. For what...$115....tell me where else you are going to book a top floor, balcony room, overlooking the ocean...in Miami beach...in JUNE....for $115/night! That's pretty good! Okay...have I beat this dead horse enough! Ask away if you have more questions...I'm sure you probably will!

Yes, I mow the lawn. I even weed eat! I have my own gas weed eater and for my 15 yr anniversary with my company I'm going to get a gas grass blower! Oh, and for my last wedding anniversary we went and bought a new self propelled lawn mower! It's a Craftsman and I'm pretty proud of it! I have to be pretty independent because he's not home all the time!

Priceline doesn't sound as bad as what I thought it was going to be. So you find out pretty quick they accept or don't accept? But if you choose a 3 star hotel, you should get a pretty good one? It's not going to be like a dump or anything? I think we're going to try to book all that when he's home in two weeks.

I've been trying to figure out what airline Carnival will put us on to get to Miami. I'm also already buying cruise clothes! I figure it will be hard in January to try to buy shorts and summer clothes!

Hope you have a good weekend and can get you 'honey-do's' done! Oh, and I'm like you, I watch to much TV too! I just love reality shows!

WOW!!! Boy Leslie...you've got the yard work down...but I can see how you need to be independant in that manner! I have the same kind of yard tools...except my mower is not self-propelled...but I am a guy! However, this last year...we moved, again....(I do it to myself)...but anyhow...we bought a bigger home with a bigger yard....and this summer its been killing me! Next summer...I am going to invest in a riding lawn mower.

Priceline....yes, you find out immediately whether or not you got a hotel....you know it does one of those...."processing" sort of things...while you sit there and stare at the screen...then all of a sudden...."bing"...you either get a "congradulations - you just got the such and such hotel"...or you get the, "sorry, no one has accepted your bid" thingy.....its all instantaneous....for the most part. Trust me....you really do feel like you have just pulled the arm on a slot machine...or rolled the dice or something...as you sit there for those few moments...waiting to see what happens.....And yes though....3 star or better....are pretty darned nice. Have you looked at any of the Miami hotels?!?! Here is where we stayed before the cruise:

http://miamiregency.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

And here is where we stayed after:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/fourpoints/search/hotel_detail.html?propertyID=862

Both were 3-star rated. The Hyatt was nicer and newer...the Sheraton was on the beach. Both were totally acceptable...except the Sheraton had the worst elevators....well...I mean....no one died or anything...but they were very slow, old, and rickety.

Don't let me influence you though...go to something like hotels.com....and surf through all the hotels in Miami....check out their discounted prices....which aren't bad....and then keep Priceline in the back of your head.

Everytime we do Priceline...the wife and I sit here at the computer...we get to the moment of truth...to roll the dice....and we both wince a little and go, "AND SHE ROLLS....AND ITS.....ITS.....A.....A.....WINNER!!!!" So far we have not been disappointed....maybe we didn't get our first choice...but we have never been disappointed with what we got...and we have saved some real money doing it. 5 years ago...we stayed at a Doubletree...right across the street from Universal Studios....for $35/night....it was an extremely nice, vallet parking only....kind of hotel....and we pricelined it for $35/night!

You not influencing me, but 'knowing' someone that has stayed in a hotel sure helps! I hate looking for a place to stay, having never been there! We booked rooms last year to go to the NASCAR race in Texas. Hotels.com said it was only like 23 miles away from the races...Well, it was probably 23 miles away IF you FLEW! Boy was that fun trying to go back and forth too! And the traffic was AWFUL! Then it was VERY HARD to find! It just helps getting someone’s input! I'm going to keep my figures crossed we can get the Hyatt! That looks like where I want to stay!

And as for the yard work, I'd rather mow the yard than clean house! But that's just me! And I hate COOKING! And we probably would have gotten a riding lawn mower if our yard was larger, but it's not real small it's just not large enough to justify a riding lawn mower.

Leslie, Leslie....when you go to a NASCAR race...you just have to stay AT THE TRACK!!!! We've been to the Texas race probably 6 times now...we always just camp out at the track. We've also done the same thing at Talledega...twice. We are NASCAR freaks too!!!

Reality TV, Cruises, NASCAR....Texas?!?! Good Grief...have we met?!?!

Ah...the Hyatt...it really was a nice hotel...like I said...totally got that on priceline...in all honesty though that was my number two choice....my number one choice...which was also coming up on priceline...in the 3-star category...for around the same price...was the Doubletree Biscayne Bay. Check it out here:

http://www.doubletree.com/en/dt/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=MIABSDT

This was my number one choice...because YOU CAN see the cruise ships from this hotel. Both this one and the Hyatt have balconies though....and the wife and I really like that. Anyhow...I was going to be happy with either. We got the Hyatt...it is VERY close to the pier...but like I said...the view of the pier is blocked by other tall buildings...but you can sit out on the balcony and watch the ocean, the bay, and other ships go sailing by all night long...waiting for your trip!

I have never had a yard large enough to justify a riding lawn mower...until now!!! Trust me...you know when that is...after you push mow the entire thing...and it blisters your hands...and knocks the life out of you. You go, "You've got to be kidding me....but I need a riding lawn mower!!!"

I know, I know! You should stay at the camp grounds...my sister has season tickets and she stays in the camp grounds every year! We didn't get our tickets until about 2 weeks before the race, so we were kinda in a bind to find a place to stay...and my sister didn't have enough room for 4 more people! They already had 5 people staying with them! We did try to go early, just ended up not being EARLY enough on Sunday! I loved it! I wanta go back! You've got to go to Talladega??? HOW COOL IS THAT! And I have to tell you I'm a Dale Jr. Fan...and yes I know he's not doing well this year...but you have to stay faithful! You are watching the race tonight, aren't you?? (I know STUPID QUESTION!) My sister got to go to Daytona in 2004, when Jr. won (and, yes, she's a DJ fan too!) She said it was cool but that Texas is a nicer race track...oh, and she's trying to sell her tickets for the November race...her DS is getting married in Hawaii the week after the races and she's not going to get to go...Her tickets are on the front stretch Turn 1.

Sounds like if we haven't met, we should! I'll have to tell the DH how much we have in common! There are a bunch of people that I work with that don't like cruising, NASCAR or Reality TV...they just don't know what their missing! I just wish they would do a Reality show about a cruise ship??? I think that could be interesting!

I think I'm definitely going to use priceline, maybe I'll get lucky and in February they'll have room at the Double Tree. I really don't care where I get to stay...I just wish it would hurry up and get here. I feel like since I won this trip time is going SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWW

!

I keep meaning to ask you if you and your DW have children? DH and I have a son (7 yo) together, then he has 2 daughters (14 & 11) from a previous marriage (they live in WA State), and I have a daughter (12) from a previous marriage (she actually lives with her dad in Borger).

Good Grief...the similarities are frightening!!! We too are huge Earnhardt fans....used to be Sr....and now obviously Jr. We were at Texas...when Jr. won his first Busch Race...and then we were there again...when he won his first Cup race! Both Texas and Talledega are very cool....they are actually similar...but plate racing is a bit more hectic! We were at Talledega the year the Gordon blew out a right front tire...going into Turn 3...and he took out the entire field!!!! I think that was 1997....not sure...it was a little while back!

I know what you mean about time moving so slow....that can be a killer!!! But....try your best to take your time....cause it will soon enough...be here...and then be gone!!! No time moves faster...than a week on a ship!!!

Children...actually no, we don't have any kids....by anyone...anywhere! We are DINKs!!! Dual Income No Kids!!! Not that we don't like kids...cause we do...and we have several nieces and nephews....it just turns out that it wasn't in the cards for us.

You know what the prettiest picture I've ever seen come out of a NASCAR race?? Jeff Gordon HITTING the wall! I can't stand him OR Jimmie Johnson!

About kids, I'll tell you, we've been blessed. We offer to share our son all the time! No, really, he's a good kid. He's in 2nd grade and makes straight A's. He thinks if he doesn't make a 100 on a paper he's not done well! He's my over achiever!

I wish I had all the money I've spent on kids! DH and I both pay child support. Unfortunately, we don't see his kids.

My DD on the other had I have standard visitation with. (There's a long story goes with why her dad has her instead of me, and no it doesn't involve Drugs, it has more to do with Money and the way CPS is so messed up!) She's a good kid too. We enjoy our time together, and she's growing up WAY TOO FAST!

I had a baby girl born without a brain, so I really do appreciate my kids!

I'm mad, now! :mad: I just switched to channel 4 and the race isn't on! It's a football game! ARGH!

I really want to make sure we enjoy this trip as much as possible. I get on here and try to find out as much as I possible can. I really wish I had found this board before our 1st cruise, but, oh, well, I have it now!

We're checking this board way too much today! You can tell how much I have going on...huh?!?! I imagine though....that pretty soon the DW is going to want me to take her somewhere for dinner....we don't cook! That's another product of no kids!

Sounds like you guys have a great family though...and sorry to hear about your one daughter!

I haven't looked for the race yet...but will soon....and sure I will watch some tonight...but you know what...with Jr. out of it....I'm not that interested in how the season ends!!! BTW...we hate Gordon too!!!

You know...right before our last cruise....I spent a good amount of time on this board and other web sites....I read up a bunch....I research little known facts....I wrote myself a paper on stuff. And when we finally got on the ship....all that stuff pretty much went out the window! Now then....that's not to say that if I were cruising again next month...that sure...I'd totally be doing the same thing all over again...(especially when it comes to excursions)...but as far as life on the ship goes....once we get their....it becomes a minute by minute thing...as far as what do we want to do next.

You know though....talking to you...has really been putting me in the mood to book something else!!! Must maintain control!!! Momma needs a new dinning room table!!!

Sorry, I haven't been reading the boards today! I was being the good DIL and went to see MIL and FIL! The only good thing about it was getting to go shopping for more cruise clothes! Now I've found my outfit for formal nights! I just didn't get it yet; want DH to approve it first! (That's not very independent of me is it?!)

Yes, the race was AWFUL! NASCAR should do something about it, but they won't!

The only thing I hate about Sunday is I have to go to work tomorrow! YUCK! Hope you had a great weekend!

Oh, and did you change your Avatar? I hadn't noticed it before if you haven't!

You know...I never get to approve of my DW's outfits...they just sort of show up!!! As for formal nights....myself...I just do the suit thing....but we actually really enjoy those evenings....NOT that we are super formal people...but it is nice from time to time...to dress up...and go out!

Oh...as for my avatar...yes...I was just playing around yesterday....and tada...I got a new avatar....in fact...I didn't even have one before. I do, however, love those movies....even as "out there" as they got...I'm still a big Matrix fan!

Well...like you said....off to work!!!

work!!!

You realize that's a four letter word don't you!!! I think they should make Weekends 5 days and workdays 2 days! I think that would make me a LOT happier!

Did your wife take a lot of shoes with her on your cruises? My DH is telling me I'm not going to be able to take ALL the shoes that I want to take! I really don't think that's fair! He says I should only take 2 pair, a pair of tennis shoes and a pair of Dress Shoes!

On your other cruises did ever have a balcony? I'm hoping for a an AFT balcony, but I'm also *hoping* for a possible upgrade and that would be EVEN SWEETER! We've only had Ocean Views in the past. We always got good upgrades to get them, so we've been lucky so far. I know we'll at least be in a category 8A.

You know....my wife is actually pretty good about the shoe thing....but...still....she is a girl...so she definitely takes more than two pair! I have never really given her any grief on this subject...its never really been that big of a deal....but I would say that she probably takes 4-5 pair on a cruise....shoot...I myself...will take maybe....4 pairs....I mean...you have to have tennis shoes, you need formal shoes, you need sandals, I usually bring a pair of boots (not cowboy...more like hiking)....but that's 4 pairs right there...if you count the sandals! Wife does at least the same...but she has a different formal pair for each dress ya know!

As for balconies....actually...that's all we've ever stayed in....never done anything less.....also never had a suite or anything...but usually stay in an 8A+ room....always on the side of the ship....7th floor or higher.

Well....off to that four letter word!

Well, I have told the DH that I will be taking more than 2 pair! He told me he didn't care, but I was the one that was going to have to get all my luggage to the airport (since we'll be flying from seperate locations!). So, basically, he'll never know how much I packed or didn't pack until we get to the ship!

I bought some luggage for my DS this weekend. It's a 3 piece set, but it's really only 2 because one is for make up and stuff like that. I'm getting myself a 5 piece set. But I'll probably use part of that for his luggage too. And since we can take 4 pieces of luggage a piece, I shouldn't have a problem with all that I want to take. And it'll all be on rollers!

I'm excited about the balcony! And we're hoping we can get an upgrade, if not, I'd like to stay in one of the Aft balconies. We usually do breakfast from room service, so I'm sure we'll enjoy it on the balcony! Plus watching us leave the piers from the balcony has to be just TOOO cool!

I better get back to work, I was sick yesterday and I'm still not feeling real good today, but OH WELL, I'm here.

Typically...luggage-wise, (and of course everyone is different...totally to each his own)...but my wife and I usually get away with bringing...two big bags...duffle type....one garmet bag....folding type with suit and dresses...and then usually my wife has a make-up bag...and that's it! We line the garmet bag with shoes...they stick all around inside of it! But that's what we bring....we've never had a problem....and of course...we typically buy another bag or something on the trip...so we bring home a little more than we take....(but that is part of the plan too.)

Yes, the balcony will be great....I love it best at night...nothing like relaxing....just sitting there....drinking a beer...out on the balcony...with the ocean going by!

Have a good day....off again!

I hadn't thought about putting shoes in my garment bag! That's a good idea! I'll remember that one!

I'm ready for vacation! I wish it were February! I'm hoping the weather will be good. From what I've read it usually is.

My son is looking forward to going too. I don't think he understands the part about the balcony though. He used to sit in the window in the OV's that we've had before. I can't think of a better place for the bon voyage party either!

Did you watch Survivor last night? Pretty interesting, if you ask me!

Have a good weekend! Don't work to hard!

Archived