Just back from the Legend

Tiki_Man

Great review! Thanks! We are on the same cruise in early Jan. and appreciate all the great info. We too will be very upset if they skip Culebra -St. Thomas - noooo! This is our 4th trip with Windstar, but the 1st on the yacht. You do need to try the sailing ships - they are wonderful. Hope they get the tender problems solved before we get there.

US Dollar except Euro on St Barths and the other French islands but they too are pretty happy to accept US money or credit cards other than Amex.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We were too busy swimming and snorkeling to do much shopping, but friends from the ship said that the small merchants/restaurants on Jost Van Dyke were reluctant to accept credit cards. They were very keen on US$ cash money, though!

Here is a picture of the infamous Tenders. 25 Pax each, top speed (just a little slower than our daughter can swim probably :) ).

https://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a5cc34b3127cceea8baa173fb800000030O00CZM27Vu0csQe3nwM/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00109475730220151215185902984.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Cheers

Mark

Saw the 2nd tender in the water yesterday but not sure if it was fully operational. Do not miss Montserrat. Buried city sobering and an experience like no other. Ship is wonderful and service superb. Will update on the tender when we hear or see something.

When those tenders were new (I sailed on the then Seaborne Pride shortly after she was commissioned by Shirley Temple Booth) those tenders were state of the art, they even had [working] air conditioning which I believe was an industry first! The three Seaborne 'yachts' also had 3 foot circular portholes in their bottoms [near the aft elevators]. Talk about jumbo glass bottom boats!

Well, 2016 is just around the corner which says to me, perhaps it's time to change those tenders :rolleyes:. As reviewed, many of the crews that operate them need to be properly trained in the art of docking - even in fair weather. As a boater, I always shake my head in amazement during docking adventures that actually are successful ----------- on the first attempt :eek::eek:.

Couple more pics of Culebra since it is new to most folks. The Pier (NO bathrooms close by) and the Harbor.

https://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a5cc37b3127cceeab5536c166c00000030O00CZM27Vu0csQe3nwM/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00109475730220151216200253188.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

https://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a5cc37b3127cceeab52bee16d200000030O00CZM27Vu0csQe3nwM/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00109475730220151216200300960.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

So glad to hear the tenders are back working.

WinnCruiser - you will love the small ship aspect. I made the joke that there were more people at our last big ship Life Boat station than on the entire Legend. Completely different atmosphere.

Magnum - did not notice if there were any "peek a boo" portholes but honestly we only rode the elevator 1 time all week, first day just to say we did :)

One night during sailaway cocktails we offered to pass around the hat to scrap up enough money to buy a new Tender at our next stop. Windstar certainly needs to upgrade the Tenders and I overheard that at the next DryDock they plan to work on the Aft below deck areas and possibly have new Tenders. Sounds like the First upgrade $$$$ were for the common rooms and staterooms and I must agree that those are very nice.

Nope they're gone. They steel plated the bottom where the glass was and poured what looks to be cement on top of that. Not sure about the Legend but there is a palm tree sitting on top of where the glass bottom was on the Pride (looks like Mr. Roberts palm tree from the movie).

I thought the elevators (they're pretty small) were changing rooms. Now I know why that nice lady screamed as the door opened :eek:.

Like you, I didn't really need the elevators because these wonderful ships are not eight million stories tall like some of the new ships.

Thanks for the update on tenders! At least with all the comments WS can't pretend that this is a new issue. Hopefully Culebra will be on the schedule next week.

This will be our first WS cruise and we are looking forward to the small ship experience. The OP's comments and Mrs. Tiki's review in the review section are great to hear. Paul Gauguin in Tahiti has been our smallest ship so far. We are not picky as long as we sense that they are trying to do the right thing . . .

They are more than doing the right thing. Service food and staff all first class. As for the tender problem that is no longer an issue, if you have ever owned boats you know that "stuff happens". Have a great trip. Ours is going to be over much too soon.

Thanks for the update on tenders! At least with all the comments WS can't pretend that this is a new issue. Hopefully Culebra will be on the schedule next week.

This will be our first WS cruise and we are looking forward to the small ship experience. The OP's comments and Mrs. Tiki's review in the review section are great to hear. Paul Gauguin in Tahiti has been our smallest ship so far. We are not picky as long as we sense that they are trying to do the right thing . . .

Nova - funny, our other previous experience on a smaller ship was the Gauguin in 2013. We loved that so much we had to try Windstar and now we are hooked. Can't go back to the Mega Boats (at least until we have Grandkids :) ). The experience is very similar as the PG, just no shows with native Dancers. Have a great time next week - that is the way to celebrate the Holidays.

Cheers

Mark

Looks like they are working on tender again this beautiful morning on Jost. Best advice would be to make a plan B for change of port next week. St Thomas can be ok if you plan for it. They had some good snorkeling trips etc. But if you wind up there don't do Best of St Thomas tour. Dreadful.

So did they actually tie up to the Pier in St Thomas? Havensight?

Taking a cab over to Meagan's Bay is a nice Beach day in St Thomas. A sailboat rental out of Red Hook is fun if there is wind. Snorkel boats that go to Honeymoon Beach are good also, the reef life there is still abundant.

Maybe they can arrange for a hired Tender in Culebra but honestly there did not seem to be much capacity for that service in that little harbor. Culebra is nice but its not outstanding, a fun snorkel day or beach day in St Thomas can be fun if you can avoid the crowds.

Oh well, Mary and I are now looking at the Costa Rica itinerary in March, I did say we were hooked - right :)

Mark

Hahaha. We've been hooked for a while. We did dock which was nice. They couldn't rent reliable tender on Culebra which is why they changed ports. They did excursion to Megans Beach but can go there on one's own by cab. Lots of great beaches along the way so culebra not a huge loss and we're from Clearwater so we think we already have world's best beaches. But I must say sitting at Gertrudes on Jost brings us back every year. Gorgeous day. Wish y'all were here with us.

Looking forward to Jost too. We were supposed to sail there on a bareboat a few years ago but the Christmas winds came early. Looking forward to Soggy and Foxy's. Gertrudes's is new to me so nice to have the recommendation!

Tiki/Mark, we were on the PG in 2011 and 2012. Would love to go back but we are east coast also and Tahiti is a haul. Hoping as you may have discovered that WS hits those notes for the Caribbean.

Thanks to all and enjoy your holidays!

I honestly hope this tender issue gets sorted out sooner rather than later...it's not like they haven't known it's been a problem? And yes, I do own a boat and know stuff happens but no one is shelling out thousands to sail on her.

I have enjoyed my Windstar vacations very much, but I can get the small ship experience with IMO better service and an all around better value on a line like Seabourn. I chose this cruise because of its itinerary, which is something I think Windstar currently does better than anyone else. Yes, I am an experienced cruiser so I know ports get changed out all the time, but there is a difference in switching out because of weather or something that happened on our last WS cruise, the captain decided to switch to a smaller port because there were just too many large mega ships in the original port to make our time seem special. No one seemed to mind...as a matter of fact, that is one of the great things about these small cruise lines...but if they have a problem they could solve and it would add value to their customers why aren't they making it a priority?

Okay, I'm rambling but you get my point. My guess is most of you who chose this itinerary did so because of all the new ports not found on every other cruise out there. The Caribbean is all about the beaches, so it isn't just as simple as swapping one island out for another, especially when 5,000 of your "closest" friends just showed up at the same time.

Anyway, I hope they are doing their best to rectify the situation and all is smooth sailing for all of us.

We don't buy ship wifi. Have a better deal with our Verizon plan. Lots of wifi available in ports. Only saw scuba 2 tank dive offered last day in Virgin Gorda. Snorkeling offered almost every day. Suggest you look to trip advisor to book your own dives along the way. Great trip. Accommodations and food excellent. Crew really nice people. Captain went home when we did so don't know who came on. Weather was perfect. No complaints other than a few crabby passengers who should just stay home to keep the rest of us from being subjected to their personal misery. Will get a review posted in a few days.

Hi, all.

Great review!!! I'm so glad to hear all the positive things, PLUS it sounds like the tenders may be under control. We're going in Feb. Really hope they don't skip Culebra.

I'd love to know WHICH NIGHT they hold the deck BBQ? Can someone tell me, please??

Also, odd question. I liked the Davis Bynum chardonnay, Can anyone tell me if it's sold by the glass? I bought the all inclusive drink package for Feb, but just read it doesn't include bottles of wine. So, wondering if that's offered by the glass. If not, what Chardonnays are offered by the glass. Sorry, I know that's a bit specific, but I don't drink liquor or beer and not a sweet Chard person. Just hoping I didn't make a bad decision buying the package.

Can't wait to hit the islands again on Windstar. We've been on Windsurf once last year. This is only our 2nd WS trip and we're hooked. Hope the motor vs sail is just as fabulous. Looks like you can't go wrong with the rooms!!

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Carole