Just back from the Legend

Tiki_Man

Deck bbq was St Martin. I only like dry chardonnay and whatever I was served by the glass was excellent. They have a few and will let you taste. We don't buy drink packages. Just can't drink enough to justify. You can cancel it when you board or before and you'll get a credit. Tenders were fine last couple of days. It was just one of those things. Don't miss Montserrat. Try to arrange private tour with Sun Montserrat tour. He is amazing. Look on trip advisor. Most of all have fun. Great itinerary. We only missed sails the first night and learned that this is a lovely ship.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SB44 THANK YOU. You're amazing. What a quick response.

As far as the package, long story, I got offered an all inclusive deal that included wi-fi, drinks, 3 excursions, and a few other things. I took it, but realized after that it was more than I thought. (subtotal on first page, final total on 2nd page) I made a mistake! I'd like to cancel the drink package, but will lose the other things. I'll figure it out before Feb.

Did you say what room you booked? I think we're in 122. No balcony, but fine by me. The rooms are nice no matter what. I think they're all the same size anyhow, unless you booked a suite.

Have some fun for all of us sitting at home!!

Rooms are amazing. We booked cheapest room and it is the largest we have ever experienced.

Tenders are running and we did Flamenco Beach today. Easy to get one of the taxi buses for 3 USD pp each way. The taxis look for you (even on a rainy Sunday) so don't worry about that.

Captain this week is James griffiths. Losing signal so will hit send button.

Still have signal so wanted to let Mark know that I conveyed his greetings to Tori. She was excited.

This does not seem like a scuba cruise. As compared to a couple of cruises we did in Tahiti that were half divers. The water sports platform was not open today. Probably due to the rain. They said it would be open tomorrow.

Back to the room. I can't get over it. So many drawers you won't remember where you put things. Nicely refurbished. You can tell what is twenty years old but it is fine. The less permanent furnishings are new and beautiful.

Mark is right that the pillows are firm and the mattress too. If I think about it will try to get a more fluffy pillow but I am a good sleeper.

Off to a good start! Will try to remember to get info on the Chardonnay.

Still have signal so wanted to let Mark know that I conveyed his greetings to Tori. She was excited.

This does not seem like a scuba cruise. As compared to a couple of cruises we did in Tahiti that were half divers. The water sports platform was not open today. Probably due to the rain. They said it would be open tomorrow.

Back to the room. I can't get over it. So many drawers you won't remember where you put things. Nicely refurbished. You can tell what is twenty years old but it is fine. The less permanent furnishings are new and beautiful.

Mark is right that the pillows are firm and the mattress too. If I think about it will try to get a more fluffy pillow but I am a good sleeper.

Off to a good start! Will try to remember to get info on the Chardonnay.

So glad yall are having fun AND you were able to go to Culebra. Dave and Tori are so fun. Have a great time, take lots of pics and then write up a big review next week.

Cheers

Mark

SB44 THANK YOU. You're amazing. What a quick response.

As far as the package, long story, I got offered an all inclusive deal that included wi-fi, drinks, 3 excursions, and a few other things. I took it, but realized after that it was more than I thought. (subtotal on first page, final total on 2nd page) I made a mistake! I'd like to cancel the drink package, but will lose the other things. I'll figure it out before Feb.

Did you say what room you booked? I think we're in 122. No balcony, but fine by me. The rooms are nice no matter what. I think they're all the same size anyhow, unless you booked a suite.

Have some fun for all of us sitting at home!!

My lovely Bride enjoys Chardonnay and they served Round Hill in the package. It was decent, according to Mary a bit oaky, not buttery (whatever that means - I am a Red Wine guy). For the reds - I had the Pinot most nights, it had a bit of after taste, not as smooth as I like. The Italian Red was very smooth and for Candles night I had Jeem bring out the Frogs Leap Cab. It was more than our package would cover so I paid full price per glass ($16.50 for a couple of glasses). Jeem said he would hold the bottle and let me just "buy" the bottle to make it less expensive but it got confusing the next night, and while Bobby tried to work it out, the bottle was empty (someone else enjoyed Frogs Leap also - good for them). No worries. It went back to the Montipecelio (very bad spelling) and it was very nice.

Please advise about ability to go Scuba Diving in each of the ports and also about wi-fi availability both on and off the ship. Very much enjoyed your detailed posts. Thanks so much.

Scuba - I agree with SB - this in not a diving cruise unless you do it on your own. I would have loved to have been able to dive similar to Paul Gauguin but just not an option.

Never saw any Dive operations in Culebra, St Barts had a couple of shops with boats in the harbor. Montserrat had a Dive Operation right at the pier, just behind the house where everyone comes off the Tender, looked decent. St Martin does not have good diver operators out of Marigot (and honest just not good diving on that Island), Jost had the best option and I thought about it but bailed. VG would be hard. The ship only takes you to Prickly Pear beach with the tenders and then 1 trip to the main island for Ship tours but you would have a way to get back unless the dive boat literally brought you back to the Prickly Pear pier (which it could maybe).

I would suggest Montserrat and Jost if you need to dive and use local operators - Trip Advisors has options.

In regards to Wi-Fi - our package included unlimited WI-FI for 1 piece of equipment per person (Mary's phone and my tablet). We were both able to have email and internet connections all week - it was surprising good (much better than the Mega Ships). I would not trust it completely for work related - but you are on vacation. We were able to stay in touch with our daughter during the week so that make the girls happy. I connected to Pandora each night as we were getting ready for dinner and it was so nice to have music in the cabin on a great Bose speaker.

Let me know you if you have other questions.

Cheers

Mark

Could you give an approximate location on each island where the ship actually anchored. Thanks again for the great reviews.

In Culebra, in the main harbor, across from the Tender to San Juan.

St Barts, in the Saint John Harbor, but WAY out. The St John Quay is where the drop you, next to Shell Beach

Montserrat, Northwest part of island, tiny pier and tiny town.

St Martin is in the Marigot Harbor, just outside the private yacht circle breaker.

Jost is in the Harbor with Foxy's bar, just south of White Beach with Soggy Dollar

VG - a couple hundred yards off Prickly Pear - NO TENDER service to anywhere EXCEPT Prickly Pear unless on a ship tour. You can NOT get to Bitter End on your own. Just the private island.

Mark

Not getting to Bitter End was only part of cruise changes that really bugged me. We were there last two years on the Surf and I had planned some shopping in their gift shop plus we love Pussers. We also took ferry from there last year to explore other areas of the island. It was very frustrating and I was told a couple of different stories including one that a ship let sick passengers off last year and everyone on the island got sick so they won't allow ships in. That didnt make sense since Sea Dream still is taking passengers there. I understand port changes due to weather or broken tender but this was not either. The brochure and itinerary said Virgin Gorda but unless you are on a WS excursion you cannot set foot on the island. Personally I don't care for the beach party so just stayed aboard and read. Don't get me wrong. Still loved the cruise but was let down on 2 of our 6 days. Can't count it as 7 since don't sail until 10 p.m. on departure date.

Sb44 - We will be on the Feb. 13 sailing and have a tour booked with Sun for Montserrat. I was so happy to read that you had such a good tour with him! We are so looking forward to this tour.

I so appreciate you and Tiki_Man posting about your experiences., as well as others on board now!

Pam

Please give him best regards from Susan and Steve Brown in Clearwater. We were there in 1984 and he made what happened on the island since then so real. It's an amazing story and you are so lucky to be booked with him. We saw 5 times what the people who booked through WS did just because of Sun.

Can let Carole know that Davis Bynum Chardonnay is available by the glass - at least in the restaurant. I took a photo of that page and will attempt to post when we get home. It was not on the bar menu but I'm sure you could get it.

They did have a fluffy pillow for me upon request.

The deck bbq was tonight and really fabulous. Lots of lobster which I know makes a lot of folks happy. [emoji3]. The cherry on top was the music afterwards. Some of the crew performed in addition to the professional musicians and that is always fun.

In case I forget to mention this later in my comments take bug spray to Culebra. I had spray on the ship but didn't put in in our day pack and am still paying the price.

Sb44 - I will give Sun your regards! This will be our first visit to the island. It would be especially meaningful to have seen it before the volcano. It sounds like we will be learning a lot. So glad we booked him!

Pam

First of all, thank you for posting this review. I've not sailed this line, but this particular itinerary interested me as we are repeat visitors to Montserrat and knew that Windstar would be calling there beginning this winter.

I was not able to see the photos, kept getting error messages. Did you dock at Little Bay? The closest I've ever gotten to Plymouth (the buried "capital" city) was from the water on a couple of 'round-the-island boat tours.

It's truly a wonderful place, the people there are among the happiest I've ever encountered... and they will hopefully continue to recover from the devastation that's impacted the island. It's such a beautiful island.

Yes. We tendered in at Little Bay and toured every nook and cranny wit Sun. The day we were there we were allowed into the V zone which is totally restricted. It was not planned; just worked out that way. Actually walked on old Plymouth pier and drove through what used to be the city. The people who live there are lovely friendly and optimistic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just now seeing this NOVA CRUISER!!! THANK YOU for the info. YAY!!!

Can let Carole know that Davis Bynum Chardonnay is available by the glass - at least in the restaurant. I took a photo of that page and will attempt to post when we get home. It was not on the bar menu but I'm sure you could get it.

They did have a fluffy pillow for me upon request.

The deck bbq was tonight and really fabulous. Lots of lobster which I know makes a lot of folks happy. [emoji3]. The cherry on top was the music afterwards. Some of the crew performed in addition to the professional musicians and that is always fun.

In case I forget to mention this later in my comments take bug spray to Culebra. I had spray on the ship but didn't put in in our day pack and am still paying the price.