SHARE on Ruby: First Bites

VibeGuy

Thank you for this very detailed description of the SHARE menu. It's not something my wife and I would be interested in, but I do appreciate you taking the time to "share" it with us.

Since you're first on the Ruby since drydock, I was wondering if you could tell us some of the other changes you've noticed. Was the Salty Dog Pub added to the Wheelhouse Bar? Were new beds installed like they were during the Emerald Princess drydock? Was the Horizon Court Buffet re-configured with the dessert island moved outside the main buffet serving area?

Enjoy the rest of your cruise down to Los Angeles.

Wow, excellent menu. Cant wait to try it.

Having a proper review now I expect it will disappoint the hard core complainers in the other thread, you know -the ones who complain about anything new without actually experiencing it. It sounds great, something new and different.

Sabatinis has been dead for sometime which is why there were always 2for1 offers on the last 5 cruises i have done.

Sabatinis has been dead for sometime which is why there were always 2for1 offers on the last 5 cruises i have done.

We never saw an offer like that, we would have jumped on it!!! We've been on several ships in the last two years....That would have been quite the deal!!

Let me add my thanks to the OP for his excellent report. I can't wait to try it.

Also, I guess I've also been on the wrong cruises because I've never seen any two-for-one deals at Sabatini's. I wonder if there are certain itineraries or clienteles where, as has been suggested, the Sabatini's room is dead. I have never seen Sabatini's "fully engaged"--for that matter, can say the same for Crown Grill--but, in my experience, it has been reasonably busy.

Again, though, Share sounds great.

Alas we too will be leaving this new option to the foodies out there...My DH will take one look at this menu and say "Huh??' Back to the Crown Grill for us! ;)

That's just what I was thinking! We'll stick with CG.....guess we're just 'simple folk' :)

Thanks to the OP for the very detailed review though!

Edited by Paula_MacFan

Having just stood up from dinner at SHARE, a rave is in order. Best meal of any I have had in the last 38 years on Princess (or Sitmar for that matter).

Our party of eight literally ate the menu. Every dish.

The concept is not what you think. Tables are of sizes for every conceivable party. No dining with strangers unless you want to. The dishes are served individually not as platters.

Several questions:

1. I've always recognized that sharing a table was not mandatory for this concept, my concern was that this concept would work better for larger groups. I'm sure it worked quite well for your party of eight, but, in your opinion, how would this concept work for a party of two? I would think it is more than just a table for two.

2. Was the venue very loud?

3. Did you hear of any plans for expanding Share throughout the fleet? Specifically, I have CB booked in late 16 and RG in early 17.

JMHO, but liver is liver is liver and is only appropriate as cat food. ;)

Thanks so much for your review of Share. I'll be on the Ruby in two months and am even more excited. However, I am apprehensive about one thing. I'm traveling solo and am wondering if the Share concept will work for solo travelers. I love meeting new people and do enjoy sharing larger tables for my meals.

Paula

Several questions:

1. I've always recognized that sharing a table was not mandatory for this concept, my concern was that this concept would work better for larger groups. I'm sure it worked quite well for your party of eight, but, in your opinion, how would this concept work for a party of two? I would think it is more than just a table for two.

If I were one of two adults of reasonable appetite, here's how I would order:

One each of the two cold apps/salads (one gets the salad, one gets the shrimp - they are very manageable-sized)

One each of the pastas ( one has the crab, one has the sunchoke)

One entree each

At *least* the potato gratin from the sides (seriously, two perfect bites each - it's the diameter of a tennis ball and less than 1/2" thick) - I could skip the kale and the leeks are *VERY* rich.

One dessert each - four nice bites each.

I would gladly enjoy this as dinner a deux. Ordered this way, it is absolutely less food than a normal Sabatini's or Crown Grill trip. I did not feel anesthetized after.

2. Was the venue very loud? [/uNQUOTE]

As quiet as Sabatinis, perhaps *slightly* "brighter" with the new tile floors. The room is essentially the same outline so there are nooks and spots that are more intimate (like the corner banquettes)

3. Did you hear of any plans for expanding Share throughout the fleet? Specifically, I have CB booked in late 16 and RG in early 17.

JMHO, but liver is liver is liver and is only appropriate as cat food. ;)

Nothing. While there was a table of very senior officers and corporate execs dining there with us, the focus was on getting Ruby and Emerald very right. One of the corporate ECs from Curtis Stone is onboard now, and will be coming to Emerald shortly. He is very personable and very committed to the process of getting this right.

If I were one of two adults of reasonable appetite, here's how I would order:

One each of the two cold apps/salads (one gets the salad, one gets the shrimp - they are very manageable-sized)

One each of the pastas ( one has the crab, one has the sunchoke)

One entree each

At *least* the potato gratin from the sides (seriously, two perfect bites each - it's the diameter of a tennis ball and less than 1/2" thick) - I could skip the kale and the leeks are *VERY* rich.

One dessert each - four nice bites each.

I would gladly enjoy this as dinner a deux. Ordered this way, it is absolutely less food than a normal Sabatini's or Crown Grill trip. I did not feel anesthetized after.

2. Was the venue very loud? [/uNQUOTE]

As quiet as Sabatinis, perhaps *slightly* "brighter" with the new tile floors. The room is essentially the same outline so there are nooks and spots that are more intimate (like the corner banquettes)

Nothing. While there was a table of very senior officers and corporate execs dining there with us, the focus was on getting Ruby and Emerald very right. One of the corporate ECs from Curtis Stone is onboard now, and will be coming to Emerald shortly. He is very personable and very committed to the process of getting this right.

Thank you. Appreciate you taking the time to answer. Showed the menus to the wife. She isn't interested. Too fancy.

Alas we too will be leaving this new option to the foodies out there...My DH will take one look at this menu and say "Huh??' Back to the Crown Grill for us! ;)

Us too.....our perks include a specialty dinner, our papework says Princess picks.....but that menu would not work for us... although it may sound good and taste great to some, not our style, some items we would not eat, plus dh has seafood allergy...have never been to Olive Garden, but do prefer a more traditional menu when dining out.

Hoping we could select Crown Grill for our " perk " dinner....not sure how it works on Princess...

Did appreciate the style and effort put into the review and I am sure many will embrace Share.....just hoping we can select something else..

Edited by hcat

I am excited about it too. Will be on the Ruby in a few weeks, and can't wait to try it......I LOVE the menu.....and I think it is about time, we leave the table without anesthesia....:D Does anyone have any idea whether the Chef's table will be under his domaine also and what a menu might be like? Plead....do tell....

Does anyone have any idea whether the Chef's table will be under his domaine also and what a menu might be like? Plead....do tell....

Yes, it will @ :45 seconds of the video below from Princess, Chef Stone talks about a lobster salad that will be on the Chef's table menu, it looks delicious.

The full menu looks better than the bits and pieces I've seen in preview. Although fish with cheese . . . ? I remain unpersuaded.

That said, your style is so over-the-top that you sound like a press release. You might want to dial it back, lest we all start wondering how much old Curtis paid you to recap your dinner.

The full menu looks better than the bits and pieces I've seen in preview. Although fish with cheese . . . ? I remain unpersuaded.

That said, your style is so over-the-top that you sound like a press release. You might want to dial it back, lest we all start wondering how much old Curtis paid you to recap your dinner.

Seriously!