SHARE on Ruby: First Bites

VibeGuy

This was not paid content and I think I'm insulted. Read virtually anything I've posted over the years I've been a member and you'll see I have a particular voice and this is how I sound. People who do specific things other people ask for, for money, are referred to using language not suitable for polite society.

This was exceptional; there is no hyperbole. I'm an experienced cruiser across a variety of lines and eras, and this was beyond anything I've been fortunate enough to enjoy. Given the vitriol and skepticism about the concept, I was excited to try it and share it with others.

We'll try it on the Emerald in March, sounds good for us. I can definitely see this not being everyones speed. If a night of fine dining for you is Olive Garden skip SHARE.

Your attempt to shame those of us who dont care for Share's menu falls flat with me. I have never eaten in Olive Garden, but I have a feeling their menu might appeal to me more than the Share menu, and I am not at all ashamed to say so.

Edited by stoneharborlady

OG and Sabatini's in the post-platters-of-apps era shared plenty in common. Don't knock a hot breadstick, and ignore OG's soups at your own peril. They make them daily in-store the same way Princess makes soups onboard. (End rant - OG has really been working on execution for the last year)

My DH is not an adventurous eater (I'll be posting about what happened at Salty Dog last night), and I was pretty surprised that he enjoyed it. Good company helps, but I think what makes the concept work is that the dishes are, at their core, pretty approachable, but delivered with an unexpected turn; a baby lettuce salad with buttermilk dressing isn't that distant of a cousin from iceberg and ranch, but the edible blossoms and nasturtium pesto take it someplace unexpected. Endive isn't super-common in the US anymore because of farm labor costs, but it's served up next to a buttery lobster tail, a staple of cruise dining. I remember duck in the 70s, universally overdone and covered in marmalade, here it's getting twice-cooked.

Lamb neck would be comparatively weird. Carrot foam is just weird for the sake of being weird. SHARE is not doing anything I've never seen before, but it's not frightening the women and children either. I think what made it great was execution excellence - small kitchen, nice ingredients, contemporary recipes and flavors, attention to detail.

I'm also encouraged by the comment that they're planning to change out the menu every six months; while I like having certain favorites from cruise to cruise (see also porcini mushroom soup), and it's hard to shake up the steakhouse menus much, something that encourages me to enjoy alternative dining to see what's new isn't a bad thing.

I wish I had pictures; I neglected to bring my phone and didn't want to interrupt the flow. My friend I thought was photographing was not. Blame the wine. Neither of the dish photos from the gallery on princess.com look anything like any of the dishes we ate. Hopefully someone else will post soon.

Endive isn't super-common in the US anymore because of farm labor costs,

VibeGuy, again, I have appreciated your reportage and am, very much, looking to my first dinnner at Share.

Your comment about endive surprised me. I have no problem finding endive in any of my local grocery stores--I love grilled endive. Personally, I think its lack of popularity in the U.S. is more due to Americans' aversion to anythiing with a bitter taste. I agree that it is more expensive in the grocery store than lettuce, and, make no mistake, there are more varieties of lettuce in the produce section, but, again, I really think that is a consequence of Americans' taste preferences.

I may be wrong. That would, certainly, not be a first. :)

Your posts were great. Thank you for the detailed review.

This was not paid content and I think I'm insulted. Read virtually anything I've posted over the years I've been a member and you'll see I have a particular voice and this is how I sound. People who do specific things other people ask for, for money, are referred to using language not suitable for polite society.

This was exceptional; there is no hyperbole. I'm an experienced cruiser across a variety of lines and eras, and this was beyond anything I've been fortunate enough to enjoy. Given the vitriol and skepticism about the concept, I was excited to try it and share it with others.

OG and Sabatini's in the post-platters-of-apps era shared plenty in common. Don't knock a hot breadstick, and ignore OG's soups at your own peril. They make them daily in-store the same way Princess makes soups onboard. (End rant - OG has really been working on execution for the last year)

My DH is not an adventurous eater (I'll be posting about what happened at Salty Dog last night), and I was pretty surprised that he enjoyed it. Good company helps, but I think what makes the concept work is that the dishes are, at their core, pretty approachable, but delivered with an unexpected turn; a baby lettuce salad with buttermilk dressing isn't that distant of a cousin from iceberg and ranch, but the edible blossoms and nasturtium pesto take it someplace unexpected. Endive isn't super-common in the US anymore because of farm labor costs, but it's served up next to a buttery lobster tail, a staple of cruise dining. I remember duck in the 70s, universally overdone and covered in marmalade, here it's getting twice-cooked.

Lamb neck would be comparatively weird. Carrot foam is just weird for the sake of being weird. SHARE is not doing anything I've never seen before, but it's not frightening the women and children either. I think what made it great was execution excellence - small kitchen, nice ingredients, contemporary recipes and flavors, attention to detail.

I'm also encouraged by the comment that they're planning to change out the menu every six months; while I like having certain favorites from cruise to cruise (see also porcini mushroom soup), and it's hard to shake up the steakhouse menus much, something that encourages me to enjoy alternative dining to see what's new isn't a bad thing.

I wish I had pictures; I neglected to bring my phone and didn't want to interrupt the flow. My friend I thought was photographing was not. Blame the wine. Neither of the dish photos from the gallery on princess.com look anything like any of the dishes we ate. Hopefully someone else will post soon.

Vibeguy I appreciate the review. And speaking of wine, is the same wine menu offered there or might there be a few different selections?

Vibeguy I appreciate the review. And speaking of wine, is the same wine menu offered there or might there be a few different selections?

Sorry I didn't get the wine lists.

There are two lists, a red list and a white list. One of the highlights of the white list is Caymus Conundrum by the glass, which isn't even available in Vines. There is also a Gruner Vetliner, a new sparkling from France that I enjoyed and some interesting new and old world finds. I honestly am so impressed with how Princess has advanced their wine program since 2005.

The red list is interesting as well - light on new world Pinot Noir, but otherwise varied and food friendly. We drank a red blend from, I believe, Spain.

If someone in our group got the wine lists, I'll update the thread.

Us too.....our perks include a specialty dinner, our papework says Princess picks.....but that menu would not work for us... although it may sound good and taste great to some, not our style, some items we would not eat, plus dh has seafood allergy...have never been to Olive Garden, but do prefer a more traditional menu when dining out.

Hoping we could select Crown Grill for our " perk " dinner....not sure how it works on Princess...

Did appreciate the style and effort put into the review and I am sure many will embrace Share.....just hoping we can select something else..

What happens with the "free" dinner or included perk dinner is that you'll have a card in your cabin on arrival with assigned restaurant, date and time. If you're happy with it, nothing needs to be done. If you're not happy with it (venue, date, time, etc) run, don't walk to wherever the table or maitre'd is that is handling specialty dining reservations and change up to what you want. Usually, not a problem at all to switch, however you may need to be flexible with time or date. The earlier you go to change, the better your options will be. Don't wait on the DINE line either...go in person.

Enjoy your sailing!

The menu is not for me either BUT I have some questions just out of curiosity. Where does the "share" part come in? Are you allowed only one item from each section or can you order one of everything?

They've seemingly pivoted on this. It's allegedly about sharing your day, your experiences, whatever. I guard food like a rescue pit bull when it's delicious. I'll share my rabies if you reach for a bite.

I would not describe any of the items as particularly designed for sharing. It's really apps/mains not small plate/large plate/table sides. Crown Grill is vastly more shareable. Most of the apps are composed to be a few perfect bites. The menu has a notation that each guest may select one item from each of the app, entree, side, cheese and dessert sections, and that additional selections will involve a small surcharge. Frankly, the plan I laid out above to have both a cold app and a pasta would violate that rule, but it's not a ridiculous amount of food if you do.

Well, in a delightful turn of events, the wine lists have turned up, and I'll post them as soon as I don't have to type with my thumbs.

I just want to say, "dog gone you, I don't want to spend 39.00/person (there will be four of us), but you made that sound do good...... I am thinking of it."

BTW, loved the review.

Interesting that the press release about the upcoming refit of Emerald refers to SHARE as being "laid back". Hard to put this menu (Nasturtium Pesto) in the "laid back" category. Between this odd description and the pivot away from the "sharing" concept, it seems as if Princess either doesn't know how to roll this out and market it, or is curiously sheepish about "owning" the actual concept. Thanks, VibeGuy, for the report.

Edited by JimmyVWine

Interesting that the press release about the upcoming refit of Emerald refers to SHARE as being "laid back". Hard to put this menu (Nasturtium Pesto) in the "laid back" category. Between this odd description and the pivot away from the "sharing" concept, it seems as if Princess either doesn't know how to roll this out and market it, or is curiously sheepish about "owning" the actual concept. Thanks, VibeGuy, for the report.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "pivot away from the "sharing" concept". Could you expand on the pivot?

I think the "pivot" was more from the wild speculation on CC of what SHARE "might" be than what it actually is. They had no info expect a press release.

People here were freaking out about having to share tables and entrees with strangers, it never was going to be that. They freaked out about the $49 cost...wrong. The freaked about about the tables...wrong. On and on.

People just assumed based upon the SHARE name. And you know what happens when you assume....

I think the "pivot" was more from the wild speculation on CC of what SHARE "might" be than what it actually is. They had no info expect a press release.

People here were freaking out about having to share tables and entrees with strangers, it never was going to be that. They freaked out about the $49 cost...wrong. The freaked about about the tables...wrong. On and on.

People just assumed based upon the SHARE name. And you know what happens when you assume....

In the first videos Stone did suggest sharing food from each other's plates. He was explicit about it. Now the $49 fee thing--I saw that coming and said at the time that they were floating that price to make $39 look like a bargain and I was right.

"Laid back" is accurate in that the dishes are more casually plated than fussy and that its about ingredients more than "Chef-y" techniques. It's not designed to blow your mind with concept, but rather with execution and bolder flavors.

Vibe guy.....thanks you so much for "Shareing" your knowledge.....I will be excited to try this new restaurant....already I love the wines, and I think the menu sounds great...I realize that no all people will think that it is special, but that is what makes the world go round.....and leave an empty table for me....