SHARE on Ruby: First Bites

VibeGuy

You're getting argumentative at this point and I can't really understand why.

DH and I live in a major city and we dine out quite often and the SHARE menu looks fresh, modern, and much closer to restaurants opening now. We have enjoyed alternative restaurants on cruises and a carb-heavy three hour meal from Sabatini's does not appeal to us in the least. We can't eat that much food and my rear end starts hurting after hour two, no matter how padded a chair might be.

Thanks for the review VibeGuy. I'm hoping it will be on our Crown cruise next May, along with the Salty Dog. These concepts might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I like variety and options and they have me excited to try new dishes!

You call it 'argumentative, I call it sharing my opinion. Your opinion, VibeGuy's opinion, my opinion are all valid opinions.

You're getting argumentative at this point and I can't really understand why.

DH and I live in a major city and we dine out quite often and the SHARE menu looks fresh, modern, and much closer to restaurants opening now. We have enjoyed alternative restaurants on cruises and a carb-heavy three hour meal from Sabatini's does not appeal to us in the least. We can't eat that much food and my rear end starts hurting after hour two, no matter how padded a chair might be.

Thanks for the review VibeGuy. I'm hoping it will be on our Crown cruise next May, along with the Salty Dog. These concepts might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I like variety and options and they have me excited to try new dishes!

Everything she said. :)

Thanks VibeGuy, this thread is very helpful. I'm looking forward to enjoying SHARE someday.

Everything they said!

Thanks again, VibeGuy. Right now your opinion is what counts for me, because you ate there and have explained the concept and food well enough for me to look forward to it.

Safe Journeys, Paul

Everything they said!

Thanks again, VibeGuy. Right now your opinion is what counts for me, because you ate there and have explained the concept and food well enough for me to look forward to it.

Safe Journeys, Paul

Ditto, VibeGuy, thanks for your detailed review. I can't wait to try Share.

Denise

Everything they said!

Safe Journeys, Paul

VibeGuy ... Joining in with all the above who very much appreciate your time to tell us about SHARE.

Yum! Because of your post, we can't wait to give SHARE a try in January! :D

LuLu

I've asked several times on this board and no one has been able to say whether SHARE will be extended beyond the four ships in the original press release or provide dates. Would appreciate any information.

Rocket, dunno and likely others dunno full schedule at least until concept proves out.

I don't know of any of this is new info for you...

Looks like Coral and Sun may be next. I guess that's what was in original press release?

Google search yielded --

"Following the debut of SHARE aboard Ruby Princess sailing from Los Angeles on cruises to Hawaii and Mexico and Emerald Princess sailing from Ft. Lauderdale to the Caribbean this December, the rollout will continue aboard Coral Princess cruising the Panama Canal in January 2016 and then Sun Princess in April 2016, which will bring Chef Stone’s restaurant to his home country, Australia."

Excerpt retrieved from http://pursuitist.com/chef-curtis-stone-to-open-his-first-restaurants-at-sea-on-the-princess-cruises-fleet/

Source seems to be...

http://homeport.princess.com/latest_news/curtis_stone.html

So info is from July. Kinda dated as it's pre rollout.

I saw one site guess that dry dock maintenance might be scheduled ....

April 5 - 18 sun princess

Jan 16-30 coral

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/ships/fleet-drydock-schedule

----------

But since latest Princess page on Curtis Stone says.....

"Available on select ships only, Chef Stone's specialty restaurant will debut in December 2015 aboard Emerald Princess, sailing from Ft. Lauderdale to the Caribbean, and Ruby Princess, sailing from Los Angeles to Hawaii and Mexico"

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/curtis-stone/?utm_source=princess.com/curtis-stone&utm_medium=mixed&utm_content=Curtis-Stone-Announcement&utm_campaign=Ship-News

....the schedule may not be.... Set in Stone.

Thanks again Vibe Guy for excellent review. My interest is peaked.

For those questioning the name name "Share" I have just got to add....

When I went to the French Laundry the food was fantastic, but never once did they offer to launder or press my shirt.

I dined at a lovely tapas restaurant here in Atlanta last Monday (half price bottle of wine!) DH and I ordered 5 small plates, two for him and three for me. Once the server realized we weren't sharing she just swiped our "sharing" plates to give us extra space on the table. No one will ever *make* you share. Just do what you like and enjoy!

Everything they said!

Safe Journeys, Paul

Ditto. Even if OP had hated the food, I'd still appreciate the detailed descriptions to see what Princess is trying to do with restaurants onboard.

I'm not clear what the $39/person gets you. One of each dish??? A choice of one plate in each category? Inquiring minds want to know! :D

Ditto. Even if OP had hated the food, I'd still appreciate the detailed descriptions to see what Princess is trying to do with restaurants onboard.

I'm not clear what the $39/person gets you. One of each dish??? A choice of one plate in each category? Inquiring minds want to know! :D

$25 has in the Crown Grill and Sabatini's has allowed you to order whatever and as much as you want. With perhaps a few exceptions, you can order additional at the Crab Shack as we were able to do. For $39 you should be able to order as much of anything as you want. Another inquiring mind wanting to know.

Per a little note on the bottom of the menu, one each from the bolded categories, plus the charcuterie plate.

Per a little note on the bottom of the menu, one each from the bolded categories, plus the charcuterie plate.
So in addition to the charcuterie plate you get one appetizer, one main, one side, one cheese and one dessert? They have done the same with the Salty Dog Gastropub setting a limit on you choices. I don't like this trend. If only two people eat at SHARE you can't "share" all of the options [emoji26]

So in addition to the charcuterie plate you get one appetizer, one main, one side, one cheese and one dessert? They have done the same with the Salty Dog Gastropub setting a limit on you choices. I don't like this trend. If only two people eat at SHARE you can't "share" all of the options [emoji26]

Looks like a new trend in collecting revenue. :( I'm thrilled to death that the folks who want to spend the money get to do it, but I'll pass. (That's my prerogative, you know. I don't have to like the idea of a new restaurant just because someone tells me I should.) See you in the MDR, IECalCruiser. ;)

Edited by shredie

$25 has in the Crown Grill and Sabatini's has allowed you to order whatever and as much as you want. With perhaps a few exceptions, you can order additional at the Crab Shack as we were able to do. For $39 you should be able to order as much of anything as you want. Another inquiring mind wanting to know.

Just a quick aside, last month in the Crab Shack, my DH was NOT able to order anything more.....this was on the Regal

Just a quick aside, last month in the Crab Shack, my DH was NOT able to order anything more.....this was on the Regal
That is why my post stated "With perhaps a few exceptions," and I hope this doesn't become the norm. You can order as much of anything you want in the MDR. Why should you be limited when you pay extra for a Specialty Restaurant 🙄

Princess, please do away with the limitations you are placing on the Crab Shack (sometimes), the Salty Dog Gastropub and SHARE. Let us enjoy as much as we want when we pay a surcharge for a Specialty Restaurant.

could not order another appetizer in Sabatini's either.....this was a month or so ago.....Actually, I think most of the meals are too big....and the chef's table...while wonderful.....has you groaning at the end. Now to add to the furor.....I would like to see an excellent Asian or Asian fusion restaurant added to the mix.....not a Panda Express, but the real deal.....:)

could not order another appetizer in Sabatini's either.....this was a month or so ago.....Actually, I think most of the meals are too big....and the chef's table...while wonderful.....has you groaning at the end. Now to add to the furor.....I would like to see an excellent Asian or Asian fusion restaurant added to the mix.....not a Panda Express, but the real deal.....:)

Kai Sushi restaurants have been added to the Diamond and the Sun.

I am planning to try Kai Sushi on the Sun in 2016.

I have heard from others that sushi in Japan is better, but, alas, I won't be in Japan.

I am looking forward to Kai Sushi.

Edited by Cruisin'Rabbit

Just got an email from Princess about a new video on Share. He really emphasizes the sharing aspects. For example, one quote (more or less): "The reason I called the restaurant SHARE is because there is no better way to enjoy food than when you share it with friends or family." Several other mentions about passing food around the table, etc.

One can claim that you don't have to share a table or food with others, but it should be very clear that the entire concept of this restaurant is sharing tables and food. Sure, there are two-tops and you don't have to share, but in order for this concept to work as designed, you need to share. Very much like arguing that you don't have to let the top down to ride in a convertible, but does kind of defeat the purpose of a convertible doesn't it?

One can claim that you don't have to share a table or food with others, but it should be very clear that the entire concept of this restaurant is sharing tables and food. Sure, there are two-tops and you don't have to share, but in order for this concept to work as designed, you need to share. Very much like arguing that you don't have to let the top down to ride in a convertible, but does kind of defeat the purpose of a convertible doesn't it?

Good point.

Just got an email from Princess about a new video on Share. He really emphasizes the sharing aspects. For example, one quote (more or less): "The reason I called the restaurant SHARE is because there is no better way to enjoy food than when you share it with friends or family." Several other mentions about passing food around the table, etc.

Thanks for hanging in there, and for sticking with this issue. I appreciate your analysis.

I am hoping that it is not too late to keep Share from spreading to the Diamond, Grand, and Star.

Thanks so much.