Cancelling a cruise - what to do?

TickledBlue

I booked a cruise through a big online TA during a cruise line special where I had to pay only a $50 deposit. When I made the reservation, I asked the agent if there were any cancellation fees and was told 'no'.

Turns out that I'll need to cancel that cruise, called the TA, and was sent a form to cancel. On the form, it said it would cost $50 to cancel. I looked on their website and can't find any small print regarding this fee.

Here are my options:

1. Fill out the cancellation form, pay the $50 to the TA.

2. Don't cancel and loose my $50 deposit to the cruise line.

3. Call the TA and appeal to them to forgive the $50 cancel charge on the basis that it wasn't clear that it existed and that I've been a loyal customer, booking many (10 or so) cruises with them over the years and never cancelled before.

I'm partial to number 3 and will likely do this even though $50 isn't a huge deal. I understand that TAs do work for their commission and don't get paid on a cancellation, but it seems reasonable to write it off in this case.

I fear that if I did number 2, the online TA would still try to charge $50 cancellation on top of the lost deposit.

Any thoughts?

Is the $50 fee for the cruise line or the TA??

I would try #3 then #1

or see if you book another cruise if they would waive the fee

If you leave it as #2 you may end up paying more

When is Final payment day?

Is there anything on your invoice from the TA stated they have a fee if you cancel ?

I would cancel the cruise with the TA, protest the cancellation fee and call upon the TA to direct you to the language on their website where they indicate they assess a cancellation fee. If the wording is there, they are entitled to the fee. If there is no wording, take it further.

If the TA tapes conversations as we are often advised phone calls might be taped 'for quality blah blah blah', ask them to pull the tape for the date you asked if they had a cancellation fee and you were told 'No'.

Please let us know how it works out.

Sorry you have to cancel your cruise.

Do not opt for your choice #2.

If you have to cancel, you have to cancel. Don't leave the reservation dangling.

If for no other reason, there well could be someone trying to book your cabin/a cabin and you are holding when you know you will not be making final payment.

First #3. Ask for the penalty to be waived. If no luck ask to speak to a supervisor. Be politely insistent.

If it's still a no do ask for the place on the website where it's shown. Possibly it's in "Terms & Conditions" that literally nobody reads.

Final course is to let them know that they made 50 bucks and lost a long term customer.

If they can't show proof of the charge you can still dispute it with your credit card company.

Good Luck

Charlie

Some TA's charge cancellation fee's .

Yes they do and they can and that is just fine but they must answer truthfully when asked if they impose a cancellation fee. It should be indicated on any written material pertaining to the booking and certainly should be 'findable' on their website. They are an Internet TA and their website needs to show such information.

Edited by sail7seas

First #3. Ask for the penalty to be waived. If no luck ask to speak to a supervisor. Be politely insistent.

If it's still a no do ask for the place on the website where it's shown. Possibly it's in "Terms & Conditions" that literally nobody reads.

Final course is to let them know that they made 50 bucks and lost a long term customer.

If they can't show proof of the charge you can still dispute it with your credit card company.

Good Luck

Charlie

I looked all over there website again can could not find their cancellation policy. Did a mock booking and found a link to the TA's terms, conditions and cancellation policies just prior to purchase. There was NOTHING about cancellation was in the legalese even though the link said it would.

I looked at the invoice from the TA -- sent AFTER purchase -- and yes, there was verbiage there that they MAY impose a $50 cancellation fee. I guess the argument could be made that if I objected to it, I had 24 hours to cancel without fee (I think this is a US law?) but it didn't say that there.

Bottom line, it's kind of shady to not be upfront BEFORE purchase about any cancellation fees. I really like Charlie's suggestion and I'm going to go down that path.

Make sure to read through your initial cruise paperwork (Called a Cruise Authorization Form by our agency) from the TA before saying you weren't notified. Ours has a very clear "Cancellation Policy" section that spells out the $50 cancellation fee. You would have had to agree to their terms and 'sign' the form electronically and send it back to the agency before they officially booked your cruise with the cruise line. Hopefully you kept a copy since that's what spells out any amenities and your total cost, etc. The possibility of having to pay that fee if we had cancelled was well worth it to us, considering the very substantial OBC we got.

Have you called the TA and asked?

I use an online TA whose paperwork says they have a $50 cancellation fee but I have never been charged it.

I actually cancelled a cruise with them yesterday and the charge was waived.

Call them.

Lois

This sounds like you booked a Carnival cruise when they were having a special of $50 deposits. And they booked you on Early Saver. If you book Early Saver fare on Carnival, and you cancel, they keep $50 and the rest of your deposit is held for use on a future cruise. Since your deposit with the special was only $50, that is what you lose. EM

whatever you do make sure you do cancel your cruise before any cancellation penalties kick in from the cruise line...those fees will make your $50 seem pretty small.

Since the OP has only paid $50 the reservation will be cancelled if not paid in full by the due date. The line won't assess a cancellation penalty greater than what has been paid in.

The concern over my $50 touches my heart. :)

I sent in the cancelation form pleading my case for waiving the fee.

Got the cancelation confirmation back along with a note that they're waiving the fee. All is well.

Thanks to all for the tips.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The concern over my $50 touches my heart. :)

I sent in the cancelation form pleading my case for waiving the fee.

Got the cancelation confirmation back along with a note that they're waiving the fee. All is well.

Thanks to all for the tips.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Very happy it worked out for you.

Thank you for sharing the 'rest of the story'. :)