Need advice for Xmas gift cruise

lump

Buggins, you are my hero. I booked the MSC cruise, and my wife was thrilled on Christmas morning (after much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth about remodeling needed on our home. LOL). We travel in mid February. Now we are trying to find cheap flights from the midwest. In your opinion, would it be wise to travel to the Da Vinci airport in Rome, if we can get those flights cheaper than the Civitavecchia airport?

We deeply appreciate any advice you can offer.

Lol!! Glad she is thrilled! I would go to the Cruise Air Board to get answers as to air...it's a tough group there, but if you give them very good details of what you are looking for they will go the extra mile to check for flight options.

I would also check in with the MSC board. This cruise will be more European in flair. Understanding the cruise line and setting expectations results in a happy cruise. It will be more like traveling land in Italy. But, you'll be in Europe so you don't need to be bubble wrapped! When I checked cruises available in Europe in February or March, MSC's itinerary seemed to be much better than Costas for what you were looking for.

For ports, go to the port boards...they will help with DIY alternatives in you ports. They all are really easy peasy. And consider looking into buying a copy of Rick Steves' med port guides...he has all the DIY options.

Don't miss the sail into Valletta. As for Barcelona, we've done land there in February and I remember wrapping my jacket around my waist midday.

Buggins, you are my hero. I booked the MSC cruise, and my wife was thrilled on Christmas morning (after much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth about remodeling needed on our home. LOL). We travel in mid February. Now we are trying to find cheap flights from the midwest. In your opinion, would it be wise to travel to the Da Vinci airport in Rome, if we can get those flights cheaper than the Civitavecchia airport?

We deeply appreciate any advice you can offer.

Just noticed ...there is no Civitavecchia airport..most Americans go into FCO.

Thanks for the correction, everyone. I guess my travel ignorance is showing more than I expected. :o

We are just having fun at slightly your expense. It's nice to be able to laugh on some of these threads rather than tons of nastiness. Don't take it too personal. We all have to learn sometime. Every port is the same. We don't fly into Vancouver - it is Richmond and so on and so on.

We are just having fun at slightly your expense. It's nice to be able to laugh on some of these threads rather than tons of nastiness. Don't take it too personal. We all have to learn sometime. Every port is the same. We don't fly into Vancouver - it is Richmond and so on and so on.

Thanks. No harm done, of course.

I have never made arrangements to fly into the Rome area before. After checking out Buggins' advice about the 7 day MSC Mediterranean cruise, I booked it for my wife and I. Now she and I would like to arrive a couple days before the ship embarks, so we can have a quick look around Rome. I am worried about which flight, where to stay, etc. But the flight is my biggest concern, since I know I must book it quickly to get decent rates and a decent flight. I really hope I can get this right, and not make a mess of things.:confused:

Thanks. No harm done, of course.

I have never made arrangements to fly into the Rome area before. After checking out Buggins' advice about the 7 day MSC Mediterranean cruise, I booked it for my wife and I. Now she and I would like to arrive a couple days before the ship embarks, so we can have a quick look around Rome. I am worried about which flight, where to stay, etc. But the flight is my biggest concern, since I know I must book it quickly to get decent rates and a decent flight. I really hope I can get this right, and not make a mess of things.:confused:

I would start with Google flights (which is powered with Itasoft). Check both Cinncinati and Dayton. tHe former will probably have the best options...but, one never knows.

I would start with Google flights (which is powered with Itasoft). Check both Cinncinati and Dayton. tHe former will probably have the best options...but, one never knows.

Agreed. We have found some flights, but we are not sure which airport near Rome is best choice to fly there and return home. Any suggestions on that?

And thanks again for all your advice so far. :)

Edited by lump

Lump,

When searching, use ROM for your destination, it will give you all Rome airports, but the reality is you will most likely end up flying into the International airport, FCO, Leonarda Da Vinci.

Now, to make this easier, how much luggage do you typically travel with? Be honest and realistic. Are you over packers or lightweights? Secondly, give us an idea of your physical abilities....do you walk or exercise regularly or are you limited? And thirdly, give us an idea of your comfort zones...is your lovely wife a bit high maintenance and needs a doorman with white gloves at the hotel, or would she consider a hotel with a two-person cage elevator an adventure? All this will go towards answering the next questions of where to stay, what to do and how to get there.

LBNL I also highly recommend the Rick Steves book on the Med Cruise ports. Very useful not only for port activities but also these other details now under discussion.

Cheryl has some really good points about how light you can travel and comfort level. With those facts the group on the Italy Ports board can help you with hotel and logistic questions.

The Italy port board is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

Some folks on that board know Rome like the back of their hand.:)

A word of caution with flights - make sure you have adequate time for connections and stay away from connections that involve a change of airport.

And, here's the link to the MSC board...folks there can answer ship questions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80

In case you don't know what "adequate time for connections" means, that means more than 1 hour between flights for most US airports. Sometimes, it is best to choose flights with at least 2 hours between flights - for example, at LAX which you have to leave security and then go back through when switching from an international flight to a domestic flight and LAX notoriously has long, long, long lines through security. If your first flight is delayed, that 2+ hour window can be a godsend. It is always best to fly in at least 24 hours before it is time to board your ship - which I see you plan to do. I know you will have a wonderful time on your cruise!

Cheryl has some really good points about how light you can travel and comfort level. With those facts the group on the Italy Ports board can help you with hotel and logistic questions.

The Italy port board is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

Some folks on that board know Rome like the back of their hand.:)

A word of caution with flights - make sure you have adequate time for connections and stay away from connections that involve a change of airport.

And, here's the link to the MSC board...folks there can answer ship questions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80

You guys have been wonderful, and so informative. We are getting excited about this trip. Tonight after work, my wife and I are going to make decisions about taking any excursions at each port, or whether to walk it our selves. Also, we will try to finally decide about drink pkgs, etc. Thanks for all your help, so far.