Out of Africa, live from the Europa 2 Capetown-Capetown

Catlover54

Catlover54,

Thank you for your very evocative, and entertaining posts, and also thank you to your husband for sharing his photographs.

You refer to sharing a table with the Captain- is it Captain Wolter or Captain van Zwamen?

The A Capella group Ninewe were on my cruise in September.

The soprano Ute Selbig's career makes interesting reading:

http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Bio/Selbig-Ute.htm

There are numerous videos of her on You Tube.

As regards Jacob Meining you are in for a treat if the following video from 2012 is representative:

Hapag-Lloyd do not appear to be stinting on the quality of performers.

A merry Christmas to you, and once again thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on your Europa 2 experience.

Edited by English Voyager

Catlover, verymuch enjoying your posts, as I enjoyed your comments about your first SB experience a few months ago.

We're currently considering trying Europa2, my only misgiving is that I don't speak any German. My husband is fluent, so he'll be fine, but I wonder how much I'd miss full interaction with fellow guests. I would learn some German pre-cruise, but I struggled with it at school and suspect that my middle aged self would find it rather a challenge now!

Anyway, please keep your posts coming as and when you have the chance.

On Day 5 (yesterday, 12/23) DH and I bounced back into the desert shortly before sunset in an assigned van with much worse suspension than the previous day (we each had our own seat, though without detectable seatbelts). It took 1.25 hours to get to the the complimentary signature E2 event, “Dinner in the desert”, mostly over bumpy roads and then off-road.

[snip]

Here is a link to pictures and a couple mini-videos from the Dinner in the Desert on Day 5, 12/23 (plus a picture of a morning sunrise from our suite to lead off ):

http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/randomguy60/slideshow/South%20Africa/South%20Africa%204

Edited by Catlover54

Catlover54,

Thank you for your very evocative, and entertaining posts, and also thank you to your husband for sharing his photographs.

You refer to sharing a table with the Captain- is it Captain Wolter or Captain van Zwamen?

[snip]

Wolter.

Extracted Christmas Day dinner dining rooms menu (I am skipping the lighter “Cuisine Naturelle” options”, and noting that gluten-free and lactose intolerant options can be ordered):

APPETIZERS:

Gateau Mousse of Foie Gras with lemon-thyme brioche, Guanaja chocolate, cinnamon fig and sour cherry

Essence and Truffled Praline of Oxtail with herbs and vegetable pearl

Cashew and Macadamia Gratinated Scallop with spinach and spiced red wine butter

(Honey Thyme Sorbet)

ENTREES:

Fried Lobster and Vanilla Confit Claws on Champagne-Pine Nut Risotto with green asparagus and mango-chili hollandaise

Crispy Grilled Christmas Goose with orange sauce, red cabbage, small baked apple and potato dumpling

Salt Marsh Lamb with beans and chorizo cassoulet, light garlic-pimento jus, tomatoes and potatoes terrine

Piedmontese tenderloin on a ragout of oxtail with tomato-eggplant compote and truffle flavored potato foam

Ravioli with truffle cheese stuffing, spiced tomato, olive tapenade and pesto

DESSERT:

White chocolate cinnamon star, orange chocolate mousse, blood orange jelly and mulled wine

Iced Stollen Parfait with ragout of navel oranges

Baked Apple-Marzipan Strudel with eggnog zabayone"

I had the goose, with a wonderful pinot (Spaetburgunder) from the Baden area in Germany (especially for the price) recommended by the sommelier. Tonight is classical music concert with the violinist and pianist.

Earlier at lunch in Serenissima I had an amazing potato cream soup with chives, and garlic, to which the waitress added as much freshly shaven truffles as I wanted, and a pea risotto.

God/Jesus were definitely allowed to be mentioned, and then some, on board the E2 on Christmas Day. The on board priest Reinhard Kuerzinger held an interdenominational Christmas service in the bow’s Belvedere late morning, to which about 40 people showed up, including this currently non-religious on-board blogger, (to observe, and hear more classical music that was promised). This religious offering was in addition to the evening mass that was available on board Christmas Eve, and the early morning mass where people got bussed into the Namibian town of Swakopmund to the Lutheran church ceremony at 7 AM the morning after the desert dinner (donations welcome to support the church). The priest in the Belvedere (in German only) alternated inspirational sayings with music performed by the on-board 19-yr-old star violinist and the soprano singing and playing calm and beautiful Christmas and religious themed songs, which one can enjoy even without belief in a deity. At the end people were discretely given an option to take communion (not too many did, as many Germans are not Catholic, or have fallen away from the church if they were). I did notice one elegant-looking white-haired German lady solo traveler getting teary-eyed at the priest’s utterances, though she did not partake in any prayer or communion — perhaps she is a widow, or lost a loved one?. The priest went around the room offering (if desired, not pushy) his blessing and good wishes in person with a handshake , but somehow missed the violinist, who had to chase after him a bit to get his communion share, I suppose in part to inspire him for the absolutely remarkable concert he gave that night. Together with the pianist, he performed “Violinissimo":

J.S. Bach

Adagio from the Sonata in G minor, BWV 1001 for solo violin

W.A. Mozart

Sonata in G major KV 301 for piano and violin (allegro con spirito-allegro)

Henryk Wieniawski

Polonaise brillante in D Major for Violin and Piano op. 4

Cyril Scott

Lotus Land op. 47 Nr. 1 Arrangement for Violin and Piano by Fritz Kreisler

and last but not least,

Pablo de Sarasate

Carmen Fantasy for violin and piano op. 25

The latter very difficult piece fully highlighted the violinist’s amazing talents. I was surprised the auditorium was only half full (unlike the Christmas concert the night before, which was packed), so DH and I were able to secure prime seats.

Tonight Dec. 26, there will be another classical music performance early evening called “A Greeting like the Scent of Roses”, highlighting the soprano Ute Selbig and the pianist Camillo Radicke, playing:

Mozart

“Deh Vieni, non tardar” Rose aria of susanna from the opera “The Marriage of Figaro”

Friedrich von Flotow

“Last Rose”, song of Lady Harriet from the opera “Martha”

Intermezzo

Johann Strauss/Sohn

“Roses from the South” Walzer op. 388 for piano solo

Carl Milloecker

“Dark Red Roses” song from the operetta “Gasparaone”

Gerhard Honig

“Es müssen nicht immer rote Rosen sein” (there need not always be red roses), Song and Tango

Gerd Natschinski

“Red Roses song from the operetta “Messeschlager Gisela”

If that does not do it for us, later we can then go hear Mario Pecoraro perform “The Rocket Man”, a tribute to Elton John music. I plan on going to both, and especially look forward to “Candle in the Wind” as we sail down to the horn of Africa, heading for Mossel Bay on the east side of the continent, on this gorgeous sunny day. We did a technical stop in Cape Town (with another quick face check, no disembarkation) and then we had beautiful sail-away views of the city in calm seas.

This is the first time I have seen most of the deck chairs in, around and near the pool occupied, but I still found a spot to sit. I am drinking a strong very nice Cosmo in a shady spot on Deck 10. I am getting some curious looks, not sure if this is because it is only 12 PM and most Germans don’t drink hard liquor that early, or if it is because I am simultaneously clicking away on my latest gold MacBook they may be curious about. One man commented in amazement that he does not understand how I navigate the keyboard, the drink, and the bobbing up and down with the swells simultaneously.

The HL-loving nice American lady I met the other day who is cruising with her husband and child walked by and, smiling widely, said she is having a great time, and is especially enjoying the cruise because she does not need to talk to anyone.

I will be meeting DH (currently sweating at the gym) later on for a Wine Tasting with mini-food pairings, “Sauvignon Blanc and Cabernet Sauvignon” in the Grande Reserve tasting room (80 Euro upcharge per person). What I really should be doing, however, at the rate I have been feeding and watering, is going to the “Belly, Butt and Thighs” offering in the gym.

As I read the list of music selections you are enjoying, I feel a bit of green envy clouding my eyes, but I mostly marvel at how the artistic programmers in this cruise understand that there can be fun people who enjoy all types of music. Classical selections in other luxury liners tend to be more on the light side. Thanks so much for informing us of the menu offering. Happy sailing!

Tea is served daily in the upper bow lounge, the Belvedere, after 12 PM, 3-5 with cakes and pastries (with or without extra whipping cream), 4-5 with piano music. At the beginning of the bilingual menu is the saying, “Tea is Drunk to Forget the Din of the World."

Here are some of the listed tea choices, mostly loose leaf:

Darjeeling Springtime

Darjeeling Summer Gold

Golden Assam

Classic English Tea

Smoked China

Splendid Earl Grey

Superior Oolong

Silver Pi Lo Chun

Finest Shizuoka Sencha

Dragonwell Zhejiang

Jasmine Pearls

White Yin Long

Vanilla Rooibos

Red Fruit

Refreshing Mint

Earl Grey

Morgentau

Ayurvida Herbs and Ginger

Wellness

Verveine

Cream Orange

Sweet Berries

Lemon Fresh

Fennel

Rose Hip

I am more of a coffee than a tea person, but it is fun to be able to explore a world of tea options while perched high in the bow of the ship, and a couple days ago, it was while watching the 2-3 meter swells we had..

The one thing I do not like about the lounge is that it is hard to get away from the “din of the world” with the teas designed to help you forget it, when the overhead plays a steady stream of annoying pop music ( dated pop songs or pop versions of American Xmas carols). Perhaps I am being picky, but I think that kind of music does not fit the decor of this elegant ship and I find it distracting. Unfortunately pop music was also present overhead in the spa and the smaller fine dining restaurants at lunch, and the waitresses in two venues where I asked have said they could only make it quieter, but could not turn it off. I had a similar problem with the distracting overhead music in and outside Seabourn Square. I think it would be better to have classical music, or new age type chill-out music, or just silence as a calming default overhead option in such venues. I will have to start carrying around my iPhone headphones so I can hear what I want, when I want it. Fortunately, there was no such music at the pool, other than for a few minutes at sail-away from Capetown they played a peppy instrumental.

More to follow later today or tomorrow regarding our Grande Reserve room wine tasting last night with the head sommelier, the emotional rose-themed soprano performance, and our excursion today out of the Mossel Bay port to the fascinating Cango Caves and an ostrich farm near Oudtshoorn (DH must edit photo options :)

[a few pictures for the updates below are on a link to DH’s photobucket at the end of this post]

WINE: The 4 PM special event premium wine tasting in the Grande Reserve room 12/26, Day 8, was interesting though not what I expected. I expected a California style sit-down at a table with little bits of carefully chosen food bites to pair with the poured wines, and detailed discussions of the wines. Instead, the head sommelier Markus Alegre Galan and his assistant poured 3 sauvignon blancs and 3 cabernet sauvignons ranging in price from 44 to 285 Euro per bottle (available on E2) to 12 pax standing at two-person bar tables, with little spoons on display in the middle of our tables containing small amounts of foods whose essences we might find in the wines we tasted, such as cassis, blueberry, chocolate, honey etc. We were told we were ideally not supposed to ingest what was on the spoons (tempted though we were) but just to smell them as we tasted. Nor were we to ingest anything else other than the fresh baguette bread they brought around. The seas were picking up a bit, and although I greatly enjoyed all the wines, which were new to me and of which I did not waste a drop, by the time we got to the Napa Valley 2008 Dominus Cab both DH and I were a little wobbly and wished we were sitting down somewhere and nibbling mini-tapas with the pours instead of just standing at bar tables looking at good-looking spoons. The sommelier-in-training practiced her English on us translating the menu during the presentations, and at the end Mr. Galan, a serious young man who seems to know his wines, came over and talked to each guest individually.

SOPRANO Ute Selbig performance of “rose” themed songs and arias:

These were beautifully and emotionally performed in the traditional way, (see program a couple posts above) accompanied by pianist Camillo Radicke, the rose theme tastefully accentuated by the star’s wearing a rose-colored gown (see pic on link). Only about 100 of the 500 pax on board were there to listen, but they were an enthusiastic bunch, with many exclaimed “bravos”. I did not want them to stop, but they had to clear out to make room for the Elton John tribute to get set up.

Day 9 (Sunday 12/27) we did an all-day E2 excursion inland while ported in Mossel Bay: for 2 hours we rode a bus (less than half full, air-conditioned, with comfortable reclining chairs and equipped with an emergency chemically toilet) away from the coast and into the hills and valleys towards the “Karoo” area and pass, which reminded me of the dry, rugged hillsides of the southwestern U.S in many ways, including the dry 38C temperatures, heading for the Cango Caves and an ostrich farm near Oudtshoorn.

CANGO CAVES:

This is a spectacular complex of giant underground caves not discovered until the late 1700’s, and then only accidentally by a hunter. We did a tour of the fascinating surreal underground walkways and chambers full of huge stalagmites and stalagtites (see pics on link), which were amazing and reveal a rich geologic history. However, the highlight of the tour was when our young lady black African guide, who had been guiding in fluent German she had learned in her local high school (English tours also available), suddenly offered to sing for us in a big chamber previously used as an underground concert hall. With the lights dimmed to just one small red lamp reportedly the strength of which the first explorer had when he entered, tourists from around the world, including children, fell silent as she broke into Ave Maria in a beautiful, angelic voice which projected through the huge chamber 600 meters underground, simultaneously inspiring and humbling us as we contemplated what had happened around us on that spot over hundreds of thousands of years, and also how we would only be able to witness a miniscule portion of what is yet to come.

OSTRICH FARM:

Our next stop was to be a commercial ostrich farm, where these close to 2 meter high 200 lb big-eyed but (we are told) not too bright animals who produce eggs the equivalent of 24 chicken eggs, are bred for their lean meat, leather, and feathers. We knew we were getting close to ostrich territory when we saw a sign on the road showing a happy ostrich saying “Take me home, country road”, and also a street ad showing an ostrich in a Santa outfit. The farm is owned by descendants of a Jewish Lithuanian family who bought the acreage and farm for a mere 8000 lb in 1932 when the market for big ostrich feathers had crashed due to WWI, the depression, and the development of enclosed cars, in which it would be awkward to wear plumed hats, so the prior “feather baron” owners were bankrupt and needed to sell. We had an interesting tour and learned more about ostriches than most people would want to know, watched a baby hatching, then met a few adults including “Michael Jackson and Lady Gaga”, two of their star big ostriches (black and white respectively) who are for display only, (not to be eventually eaten). Just as we were getting used to gazing into these creatures’ big soulful eyes as they stared at us in confusion, we were called to our communal lunch, where grilled pieces of their cousins appeared as signature ostrich steaks on platters brought out accompanied by a special sauce (apricot and mustard), rice, veggies, and salad. I am certainly not a vegetarian, and though the family that runs this place practices humane animal breeding, works closely with animal rights groups, and provides an important nutritional source for millions of people who could otherwise not afford it, I had mixed feelings about the tour. But I still ate the steak, and DH took ostrich pix.

http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/randomguy60/slideshow/South%20Africa/South%20Africa%205

Catlover, verymuch enjoying your posts, as I enjoyed your comments about your first SB experience a few months ago.

We're currently considering trying Europa2, my only misgiving is that I don't speak any German. My husband is fluent, so he'll be fine, but I wonder how much I'd miss full interaction with fellow guests. I would learn some German pre-cruise, but I struggled with it at school and suspect that my middle aged self would find it rather a challenge now!

Anyway, please keep your posts coming as and when you have the chance.

Pending a reply from Catlover54, I think that the fact that your husband speaks German fluently would make things a lot easier for you in that he could introduce you to people with a comment that you do not speak German, and I am sure that those Germans who speak English would converse with you.

The following is an extract from the latest review on the Europa 2 my mpfund:

'Final thoughts. This is not a ship where you will make new friends. Although most of the

German speaking passengers speak English and were cordial, they were not very outgoing. They did not seem outgoing even among themselves. The bars do not lend themselves to socializing and I assume this is a cultural preference. I think that once Europa 2 attracts more English speaking passengers this will change. On our cruise

there were 14 English speaking guests; we were the only Americans.

Would I go back? In a Hamburg minute!'

Catlover54's daily postings are giving a real insight into her cruise experience.

To my mind, anyone who enjoys a luxury cruise experience should cruise at least once on the Europa 2.

However, there is the strong possibility that, as has happened with me, having once cruised on the Europa 2 then no other ship is a contender.

Pending a reply from Catlover54, I think that the fact that your husband speaks German fluently would make things a lot easier for you in that he could introduce you to people with a comment that you do not speak German, and I am sure that those Germans who speak English would converse with you.

The following is an extract from the latest review on the Europa 2 my mpfund:

'Final thoughts. This is not a ship where you will make new friends. Although most of the

German speaking passengers speak English and were cordial, they were not very outgoing. They did not seem outgoing even among themselves. The bars do not lend themselves to socializing and I assume this is a cultural preference. I think that once Europa 2 attracts more English speaking passengers this will change. On our cruise

there were 14 English speaking guests; we were the only Americans.

Would I go back? In a Hamburg minute!'

. . . .

[snip]

I think mpfund summed it up well. For a variety of reasons due to a complicated upbringing history, I am familiar with the general German culture, and in general, as well as on this ship, note Germans will be cordial with each other but typically do not just come over and say, in any language, "Hi, I'm Hans from Berlin, what's your name and where are you from?" That would be considered rude (though of course there is a spectrum, and people from further south may be a bit more outgoing, and a bit more inclined to enjoy being tipsy and joking around ). Even when I was sitting next to a ship's officer for dinner he cautiously asked permission to go ahead with each new step of inquiry about myself, DH, and my life, to make sure it was ok to ask certain things that Americans on cruises I have met are more comfortable asking early on without seeking permission (and, though less so, so are Brits and Aussies).

Right now I think English country cruisers who would do best on the E2, given there are so few of us on board, are people who value the luxury cruise and food experience, are ok with not having to be able to chat in a friendly way with almost anyone around them like one can on SS, Regent, and SB, couples who always dine alone anyway and never ask to join a communal table, solos who like to remain solo, and other people who might stick with just their friends or to themselves anyway when cruising (i.e., some cliques whose circle never grows despite many cruises).

But if there were a bigger English-speaking invasion on an E2 cruise, and a trend started, it might change the dynamic a bit.

DH and I, when we cruised together (which is most of the time), usually asked to join a communal table on SS and Regent (with hit and miss results, though always interesting), and he has said on this cruise that he misses that option here, which is not even overtly offered to Germans to join other Germans.

I continue enjoying your reports, thank you again. Although DH and I usually like to dine by ourselves, we enjoy meeting and conversing with other passengers. I am especially outgoing, and would miss social interactions. Hopefully by 2017, when we plan our first E2 cruise, the dynamics might have changed a bit with the inflow of other culturally diverse passengers.

I think mpfund summed it up well. For a variety of reasons due to a complicated upbringing history, I am familiar with the general German culture, and in general, as well as on this ship, note Germans will be cordial with each other but typically do not just come over and say, in any language, "Hi, I'm Hans from Berlin, what's your name and where are you from?" That would be considered rude (though of course there is a spectrum, and people from further south may be a bit more outgoing, and a bit more inclined to enjoy being tipsy and joking around ). Even when I was sitting next to a ship's officer for dinner he cautiously asked permission to go ahead with each new step of inquiry about myself, DH, and my life, to make sure it was ok to ask certain things that Americans on cruises I have met are more comfortable asking early on without seeking permission (and, though less so, so are Brits and Aussies).

Right now I think English country cruisers who would do best on the E2, given there are so few of us on board, are people who value the luxury cruise and food experience, are ok with not having to be able to chat in a friendly way with almost anyone around them like one can on SS, Regent, and SB, couples who always dine alone anyway and never ask to join a communal table, solos who like to remain solo, and other people who might stick with just their friends or to themselves anyway when cruising (i.e., some cliques whose circle never grows despite many cruises).

But if there were a bigger English-speaking invasion on an E2 cruise, and a trend started, it might change the dynamic a bit.

DH and I, when we cruised together (which is most of the time), usually asked to join a communal table on SS and Regent (with hit and miss results, though always interesting), and he has said on this cruise that he misses that option here, which is not even overtly offered to Germans to join other Germans.

On the Europa 2, the total passenger complement is 516, and the various restaurants can accommodate 762 guests.

So, in practical terms the need to offer guests the option to join strangers on a communal table is extremely unlikely to arise.

That does not mean that one cannot initiate a conversation with people on tables next to one's own.

One can, and if I can do it as a solo traveller, it would be so much easier for a couple.

Catlover54,

Thank you for your latest update.

How was the Elton John tribute performance?

We did not get there after all, but will fortunately have another chance at it tomorrow night. When I got back from the "Rose concert" 2 nights ago I found DH immersed in one of the 30 odd English language movies offered in the suite, "The Cobbler" (interesting and whimsical, if you have not seen it) and he was not inclined to abandon it or the room later that night, so we ordered room service and stayed in. BTW room service was pleasantly served by the butler on a roll-in table, including the cheese plate I included a picture on the last photo bucket link.

Tonight was a performance by the ladies of the acapella NINIWE again, beautifully done, very talented.

The only performance disappointment so far was the "Rolf Stahlhofen feat Mousse T. & Emma Lanford", absolutely dreadful. Two German guys tried to act cool, like American and British musicians typically pull off, and were accompanied by a British attractive black lady with a good voice and good moves but who was stuck singing less than subtle lyrics to bad music. DH and I walked out during the song "Horny", where the word was repeated at least two hundred times in a rhythmic sequence without much else. Even Abba's "Gimme gimme gimme a man after midnight" would have been more interesting, and definitely more melodic. We were still joking today about the "Horny horny horny" song and what a mess that show was. However, we did see a couple of the ship's officers, and the group of six Spanish dancers, and a smattering minority of aging Germans, plus an excited 12-year-old lad who was there alone, seriously getting into the "music."

Edited by Catlover54
typo

Some words on the dissapointing show: Mousse T. is a german DJ and record producer. He has been known for his remix of Tom Jones' "Sex bomb". The single was released in 1999 and climbed to #3 in the US and Germany, while reaching #1 in the UK charts. His first chart success, however, has been the single "Horny 98" (#28 in Germany, #2 in the UK), that you so fell in love with. It seems they hired some former/fading celebrity with some past internatinal publicity to his credit.

Mousse T. has been collaborating with Emma Lanford for some of his songs in the past and Mr. Stahlhofen is a less successful german artist, for example he used to be a part of the band "Söhne Mannheims". More information on any one of them ist available at Wikipedia, both in English and (more extensive) in German.

While this is not meant to be an excuse, it might help to explain why the artists have been booked.

Thank you very much for your marvellous and detailed live coverage. I am looking forward to your next post, which hopefully brings better news about the Elton John tribute.

Edited by qwertz

Busy day today. We started out at our favorite breakfast venue, the MDR Weltmeere, which continues to serve excellent buffet and hot dishes off the menu, with dedicated service in a calm environment and beautiful room. DH then went to the ocean-view gym again to pretend to burn off a few picograms of the significantly increased adipose tissue we have acquired this cruise, while I attempted to take advantage of faster ship wifi to contact home for work issues (after my contacts, I suddenly felt like booking an ad hoc world cruise extension on the E2, instead of going home in a few days). Wifi was supposed to be faster because most people had already gone to shore, and indeed, was marginally, emphasis on marginally, faster.

There are about 40 well-behaved kids on board out of a full ship of 516 pax (roughly half teens and half ten and under), some in 3 generation families, and I strongly suspect the older ones stream video movies and are endlessly on Facebook or similar, which slows everything down. The E2’s presence also seemed to overload the local cell tower as well as that was also very slow. Every cruise line has customers complaining about internet issues, and the E2 is no different, at least not in Africa.

In the afternoon we headed out on an interesting E2 excursion to the Tala Preserve, where we saw giraffes, zebras, hippos (vaguely resembling overfed cruise pax on first glance, at least without glasses on) , rhinos, impalas, wildebeests, jackals, more ostriches, and several other hoofed creatures, from the safety and comfort of our triple-decker jeeps with a nice light breeze (though, as expected, while I was pulling OFF layers because I felt warm, many Germans started putting ON sweaters and jackets at the slightest blowing of outdoor air). DH had his biggest lens out to get close-ups of the animals (and to help burn calories lifting it).

When we returned to the E2, we saw Mario Pecoraro perform Rocket Man, tribute to Elton John, part 2. Mario is very talented, a master of his keyboard, has good energy and sings well. Unfortunately someone had decided to run video on the wall of the stage behind the piano that did not work well with the songs and mood. For example, for “Nikita,”, allegedly a song about Elton John’s gay crush on a Soviet border guard when he traveled to the USSR to do a concert in the 1970’s, they showed clips of Soviet propaganda posters, Stalin, and CCCP slogans. It was probably not a good idea to be showing this to Germans on vacation, considering how many millions of them have very unpleasant associations with that era and with Russians in general, for a variety of reasons, and frankly so do I — indeed, applause was tepid after that odd number. Then during Pin Ball Wizard, (with a little history of Elton’s role in the movie Tommy, though he did not write the song) we saw clips of gaudy Vegas in the 1970’s, also distracting and not relevant. The show would have been perfect but for the distracting background videos that added nothing and cheapened Mario’s terrific playing.

Tomorrow is a sea day, so I hope we will post some pictures of today once we figure out which picture of a hippo with his huge mouth wide open, and which picture of the Weltmeere lamps, is the best. I’ll skip the picture of Durban street life showing a shop advertising “herbal and natural” treatments for HIV infections. South Africa has a very high HIV infection rate, unfortunately, and vendors holding out false promises does not help eliminate the problem (and that is only one of many problems beautiful SA has).

For a change, DH and I tried this place for lunch today (open 12:30-2). We came right at the beginning and got seated in comfortable soft chairs at the window in a tastefully decorated dining room with black and red themes. This is a sea day, but for the next 1.5 hours, only 3 other parties came in (including one of the singers), so the atmosphere was calm and service outstanding. As the restaurant is on deck 4, low, (as are most of the smaller restaurants as well as the MDR Weltmeere), as we briskly sailed along close to the waters edge, I looked out the window for a few minutes and was reminded of puffins I had seen on prior cruises running quickly on the water, trying to fly. We see no land today as we head for Port Elizabeth, just a stray sad-looking little sailboat, likely fishermen trying to earn a meager living, far from port. The pool has been drained due to too much motion of the ship.

The offered menu (same for dinner later):

SALADS

From Vietnam

Tartar of langoustines and shrimps in a rice leaf on sweet-and-sour pineapple

From Indonesia

Spicy duck and satay in peanut sauce and cucumber relish

From China

Yuzu marinated black sea bream on pomelo chutney and Chinese spices

“Som Tam”, Carrot and papaya stripes with lobster tamarind dressing

SOUPS

From Thailand

Prawn-mussel stew with garlic, onions and young leek

From Indonesia “Soto Ayam”, Indonesion poultry soup with Shiitake mushrooms and tofu

HOT APPETIZER

From Thailand Chicken Red Thai Curry with coriander chutney

MAIN COURSE

From Singapore

Tuna steak on spicy Chinese cabbage with ginger-orange sauce

From Thailand

Red Snapper on pumpkin-curry vegetables with mild lime-chili sauce

From India

Yellow lamb curry with potatoes, aubergine and chili

Vegetarian from Vietnam

Green papaya in coconut milk with pal coin, beans and slightly sweetened salad of herbs

DESSERT

From Malaysia

Mousse of pomegranate with lychee stuffing, lime leaf ice cream and papaya smoothie

From Japan

Parfait of five spices with green tea ice cream and sake-fruits with ginger foam

From Hong Kong

Honey-coconut creme brûlée with chocolate-cinnamon sorbet and marinated mango sections

The food was surprisingly very good, bursting with aromatic flavors (paired with a Riesling). The items were marked on the menu with little peppers, to indicate levels of spiciness/hotness, plus there were little containers of spices on the side you could add to your food, all explained by the waitresses. DH and I live in a very heavily Asian neighborhood in California with many very good and varied restaurants, so we were skeptical that we would find anything good at sea to rival them. We are going to try and go back again before the end of the cruise.

Such a pleasure to follow your thread. Thank your DH for the photos; the composition and execution were excellent. I found the zebras particularly fetching, and smiled at the giraffe shyly hiding behind a bush while looking at the camera. The menu items are enticing indeed!

Catlover54,

Although the Speciality Restaurants, excepting Sakura which is closed, tend to be under occupied at lunch time, for some reason Elements tends to be the least popular even of an evening.

I am not a lover of excessively hot/spicy food, but, being guided by the staff, I have had very enjoyable meals in Elements.

Incidentally, have you eaten yet in the Sakura Restaurant?

While talking about food, has there been any indication of the menu for the Gala Dinner on New Year's Eve?

Catlover54,

Although the Speciality Restaurants, excepting Sakura which is closed, tend to be under occupied at lunch time, for some reason Elements tends to be the least popular even of an evening.

I am not a lover of excessively hot/spicy food, but, being guided by the staff, I have had very enjoyable meals in Elements.

Incidentally, have you eaten yet in the Sakura Restaurant?

While talking about food, has there been any indication of the menu for the Gala Dinner on New Year's Eve?

We have not eaten in Sakura, just not enough time, or desire to make it a priority to go eat "California roll" when we are surrounded by good ones back home, plus they are only open for dinner. However, I thought similar things about Elements. On hot days on some cruises after excursions I enjoyed coming back to eat salty sushi at the buffet or in Seishin on SS, so if I were staying on board and doing hot excursions, I likely would go.

But we only have 3 nights left: New Years Eve (where all the menus are the same, not sushi, not announced what yet;) 1/1 (probably some extra festive stuff; and 1/2, the day before departure, which will be right after an all day excursion down the Cape, then have to pack.

We have not eaten in Sakura, just not enough time, or desire to make it a priority to go eat "California roll" when we are surrounded by good ones back home, plus they are only open for dinner. However, I thought similar things about Elements.

But we only have 3 nights left: New Years Eve (where all the menus are the same, not sushi, not announced what yet;) 1/1 (probably some extra festive stuff; and 1/2, the day before departure, which will be right after an all day excursion down the Cape, then have to pack.

First, only 3 more nights? Nooo! Have enjoyed your cruise (almost) as much as my Med cruise. (Not really, but the closest I can get for right now - and the closest I'll get to Africa for a while - so won't be choosy.). You've done a great job with sharing and I've very much enjoyed your husband's photos.

We found Sakura to be the least impressive of all the venues. Nothing wrong with it at all. Just not really special compared with all the other options.

I was similarly skeptical about Elements but like you enjoyed my meal there and given more time would have returned and will revisit next time.

We spent far more time in Yacht Club and it seems you've overall preferred the quiet civility of Weltmeere. I'll have to give it a shake for a meal besides dinner next time.

Happy New Year!