Dinner in Honolulu.

calamity

Hi

Can anyone advise as to the best place to have a special dinner with views in Honolulu, we are there on my 50th birthday, we have never been to Hawaii and this is our first ever cruise ( Summit 18 Dec 05).We are great lovers of sea food but it does not matter as we like most things.

Many thanks

Kleo

There is a strange relationship in Honolulu that the better the restaurant is, the worse the view gets. To some extent, this makes things difficult for tourists that wish to book a special dinner with a view. The only restaurant that I can think of that satisfies that requirement might be La Mer in the Halekulani hotel - http://www.halekulani.com/dining/la_mer/ - considered one of the best restaurants on Oahu. It's VERY French with corresponding prices. Jacket required for men (actually, checking the web site now, it says that a long-sleeved collared shirt will do as well - if so, that's news to me). It's got a killer view around sunset though. Be warned that it was easily the most expensive meal that I've ever had in Hawaii.

OK, I just thought of 2 more options. Michel's at the Colony Surf is an institution in Hawaii - http://www.restauranteur.com/michels/ - it calls itself French but it's not really - it's more American French or kind of a throw back to old style gourmet dining (complete with tableside preparations of foods like steak Diane and flambe desserts). Great view. Cheaper than La Mer but not in the same category in terms of food - still very good though. Also, Bali by the Sea in the Hilton Hawaiian Village - http://www.hiltonhawaiianvillage.com/dining/bali-by-the-sea.asp - is rather nice as well - view and food not as good as the first 2 options but more reasonably priced and still well worth a visit.

Hopefully you find something that you like in these choices!

Spleen

Hi Spleen

Thank you very much for the dining tips. They all looked very nice but I think we will go for La Mer.As for price well I think hubby can handle it, if not I'm sure they can do with extre hands in the dish wash!:)

My birthday is the 27th Dec so I will email and see how booked up they are as its between Christmas and New Year it might be very busy.

I have learnt alot about cruising from this site and picked up some good advise you have given to others,thank you.

Kleo:)

Hi Spleen

Thank you very much for the dining tips. They all looked very nice but I think we will go for La Mer.As for price well I think hubby can handle it, if not I'm sure they can do with extre hands in the dish wash!:)

My birthday is the 27th Dec so I will email and see how booked up they are as its between Christmas and New Year it might be very busy.

I have learnt alot about cruising from this site and picked up some good advise you have given to others,thank you.

Kleo:)

Calamity, Double check the port times for Honolulu especially as your sail date gets closer. We are going on the Infinity in November and originally we were to be in port until 10 PM. When we got our docs this week, it shows we will only be in port until 7 PM.

Calamity, Double check the port times for Honolulu especially as your sail date gets closer. We are going on the Infinity in November and originally we were to be in port until 10 PM. When we got our docs this week, it shows we will only be in port until 7 PM.

cujosmom

Thank you I will keep an eye on any change with port times at the moment we are ok.Sorry you had your port time cut, I hope you got to do everything you wanted to do.

Thanks Spleen we will have a great time.:)

Kleo

Calamity, if the timing doesn't work out for you think about going to Orchids at the Halekalani hotel. They do a great Sunday brunch buffet with the same great views as Le Mer but a lot less money and you won't have to worry about getting back to the ship. Also, Michels is also a great place for lunch too with those "oh, to die for views" and I actually enjoy the daytime view more than the evening one.

Archived