customer service at NCL is an oxymoron

trish1c

Ugh.

I have to change cruise lines going forward. It's a shame, really, because we're Gold Latitudes, which isn't as high as many of you, but we're good customers.

Over the course of the last few days the price has dropped about $100 pp and NCL is now offering 2 complimentary promotions for new bookings. My ship is not sailing full as of today.

I'm not sure you are serious, of if you are joking.

If you are serious, I think you have unrealistic expectations. You agreed to a price you thought was good at the time, had the ability to plan and arrange flights, etc. at the best rates, and now are going to change to another cruise line over $200? Last minute deals occur all the time.

Those two promotions are probably not available for your sailing, as others have noted. Try a mock booking on NCL.com and see if they come through for you.

After final payment, unless you are willing to spend more to upgrade to another class that is available at much less than when you booked, you are "stuck" with what you originally thought was a good deal. You are an experienced cruiser, so this isn't a case of not knowing what has been the practice on every cruise line for a long time.

I filled up my gar with gas on Saturday. Price was $1.69/gallon. Today it's $1.65/gallon. They aren't giving me anything for the price drop. I bought a new television in early November. Now it's being advertised at $200 less than I paid. Not getting anything from the store....

Not really the same thing. Once you filled up the car you drove away and started to consume the gas you had paid for. In the case of a cruise one pays for all or part the good well in advance of delivery.

Some stores will match a new, lower price if the change happens within a particular period of time. So their customers can walk out the door with the product and still get credit if the price drops after the fact.

Has anybody had success in getting NCL to provide any concessions under these circumstances? I know what I'm going to talk about at my CC meeting on board! Because I know some NCL rep will make the announcement if anything on board is a problem to let them know before I come here and post. ...

Do not talk about it at the CC meeting! That is not what that meeting is for. The meeting is to "meet and greet" your fellow passengers. The NCL reps there will give you their cards with their onboard contact info. Use that info to talk to one of them privately.

Has anybody had success in getting NCL to provide any concessions under these circumstances? I know what I'm going to talk about at my CC meeting on board! Because I know some NCL rep will make the announcement if anything on board is a problem to let them know before I come here and post. I doubt anything will be resolved to my satisfaction but I don't understand a business model which antagonizes customers & punishes early booking.

Those NCL staff at the meet and greet don't determine the rules, that is corporate and when they ask about letting them know of any issues before you come and post, they are talking about any issue you had while you are onboard the ship. They have no control over issues prior to you coming onboard.

I remember in the "old days" Celebrity would credit your credit card if you called and there was a drop in price, even up to a few days before the cruise, but unfortunately those days sailed some time ago and they are pretty much the same as NCL.

If you really feel that they should have accommodated you by giving you something because of the promotion/price decrease, then I would suggest writing a letter to corporate explaining to them why you feel that they should change their rules to make customers happy. I would also note how you were treated by the Manager. I really don't think sending a letter will change anything, but it might make you feel better by getting it off your chest.

Hopefully by the time you cruise, you won't remember this, because you'll just be thinking about what a great time you are having on the ship.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Changing cruise lines isn't the answer. This is pretty much standard. As a poster above stated. I check prices at final payment and then don't look back. We just returned from the Getaway. Fabulous vacation! I'm sure some people paid more - some less. This is currently our favorite ship and feel we get great value for our money.

Unfortunately, one of our flights was delayed and people started talking about what they had paid. The difference in the round-trip fare was astonishing - $128(booked during a special "sale") to $618(last minute). We were in the middle at $390. Then checking at the Marriot Marquis I heard someone at the check in counter say they just booked on a "last-minute" site and paid $125+/-. WHAT!!! I booked 2 1/2 months ago and thought I got a fair pre-paid price of $245 for a super nice hotel.

Yes but this year is almost over and additionally there have been numerous posts about how the OBC for price drops is no longer occurring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes but this year is almost over and additionally there have been numerous posts about how the OBC for price drops is no longer occurring.

Always worth a try. If the information is beneficial to OP, great.

It is inappropriate and rude to talk about this issue at the meet and greet. Even if an officer gives you his card' date=' it is also not within his purview to discuss your dissatisfaction with the price.

Your expectation is unrealistic.[/quote']

Agreed

Always worth a try. If the information is beneficial to OP, great.

I believe the OP has already called and was offered nothing which is why they are frustrated. You are right can't hurt to call and try again. Just best not to have any high hopes per many recent cruisers failed attempts.

Op, we experienced almost the same thing on our Dawn repo cruise. We booked nearly a year in advance- before they started offering any of the promos. The month after we booked they started offering promos and I tried to upgrade to get the UBP only we they didn't offer it on repo cruises. I was disappointed but got over it. Then a few weeks before sailing the priced dropped to what we had paid and they were offering new bookings a choice promo including the UBP. Being a 14 day cruise, the perk had a $1200 value. I felt the same as you. I tried to upgrade and get the promo but NCL wouldn't budge. I did receive $50 OBC [emoji57]

If the OP booked 10 months ago with the UBP they aren't paying the gratuities for the UBP.....which is worth a bit of change. About $10 pp per day ? So those new people booking are paying gratuities on the UBP and SDP .... The UBP is a very attractive perk especially sans gratuities

Ugh.

I have to change cruise lines going forward. It's a shame, really, because we're Gold Latitudes, which isn't as high as many of you, but we're good customers. Anybody who knows anything about business knows it's much harder & far more expensive to get a new customer then to make an existing customer happy.

Booked a GTY cabin with UBP promotion about 10 months ago for a cruise in a few weeks. NCL has had my money for a long time.

Over the course of the last few days the price has dropped about $100 pp and NCL is now offering 2 complimentary promotions for new bookings. My ship is not sailing full as of today.

I called to see if NCL would do anything for me, even so much as dinner for 2 in one specialty restaurant or some Wi-Fi minutes, even moving my cabin from a BD to a nicer room. The way I see it, the new people are getting almost $500 more in benefits then I am receiving, plus NCL had use of my money.

The customer service rep was sweet as she politely informed me there was nothing she could do. I asked to be transferred to a manager. He was snide. Not a good quality in a customer service rep.

Has anybody had success in getting NCL to provide any concessions under these circumstances? I know what I'm going to talk about at my CC meeting on board! Because I know some NCL rep will make the announcement if anything on board is a problem to let them know before I come here and post. I doubt anything will be resolved to my satisfaction but I don't understand a business model which antagonizes customers & punishes early booking.

Every other cruise line I have ever sailed does something to make the customer happy. NCL could care less. In the past I was usually the one booking last minute so I didn't have to deal with these kinds of issues but this type of cavalier treatment is going to drive me to another line.

1) You obviously have no idea what an oxymoron is.

2) You are WAY past final payment. You asked if there was anything that could be done (even though you knew that you were entitled to nothing) and then rather than just simply telling the NCL thank you for looking into it, you wanted to keep pressing the issue.

3) There is nothing to be resolved to your satisfaction or not. Your satisfaction (based on your entire post) would be for NCL to give you something that you are absolutely NOT entitled in any way, shape, or form.

4) LOL cavalier treatment, you are hilarious!

Not really the same thing. Once you filled up the car you drove away and started to consume the gas you had paid for. In the case of a cruise one pays for all or part the good well in advance of delivery.

Some stores will match a new, lower price if the change happens within a particular period of time. So their customers can walk out the door with the product and still get credit if the price drops after the fact.

That is irrelevant. You entered into a legally binding contract when you booked the cruise. Actually having sailed or not is irrelevant.

Also NCL has a price match withing a particular period of time policy as well. Read the web site.

You knew the rules and rolled the dice. Sometimes you win. Other times you lose as in this case here. Fact of life. No one is being mistreated here. Just go enjoy the cruise and forget about who gets a better deal than you.

Ugh.

I have to change cruise lines going forward. It's a shame, really, because we're Gold Latitudes, which isn't as high as many of you, but we're good customers. Anybody who knows anything about business knows it's much harder & far more expensive to get a new customer then to make an existing customer happy.

Booked a GTY cabin with UBP promotion about 10 months ago for a cruise in a few weeks. NCL has had my money for a long time.

I called to see if NCL would do anything for me, even so much as dinner for 2 in one specialty restaurant or some Wi-Fi minutes, even moving my cabin from a BD to a nicer room. The way I see it, the new people are getting almost $500 more in benefits then I am receiving, plus NCL had use of my money.

The customer service rep was sweet as she politely informed me there was nothing she could do. I asked to be transferred to a manager. He was snide. Not a good quality in a customer service rep.

Every other cruise line I have ever sailed does something to make the customer happy. NCL could care less. In the past I was usually the one booking last minute so I didn't have to deal with these kinds of issues but this type of cavalier treatment is going to drive me to another line.

I was successful in getting a concession a couple of cruises ago. We were after final payment and right around a month from sailing. The price dropped more than 50% which totaled out to roughly $1600 less than what we paid. I called AARP EXPEDIA and they contacted NCL. NCL gave me 50% of the $1600 difference to be used on a future cruise. They placed $800 in my NCL "wallet" which I used on our cruise last year on Getaway. I'm not sure how they would handle the same situation today, but I was happy with the outcome. Enjoy your cruise.

Ugh.

Sorry, but this is NOT a customer service issue. This is a you wanting something that you are not entitled to receive but hoping that you could get it.

You booked, and paid for your cruise, that should be the end of the discussion.

Sooner or later (probably sooner) the cruises lines (all of them) are going to say once you are booked that is it, no changes.

I just posted this yesterday on the Princess board. It's like there's an epidemic of this kind of thinking lately. Substitute "NCL" for "Princess":

This is the second post in 10 minutes on this Princess board where I've read someone complaining about Princess' customer service not bending the policy for the poster's "special" situation. I'm getting the impression people think that the more cruises they taken, or the more money they've spent, or the more money they are going to spend in the future, that it entitles them to special treatment.

I've got cruises booked on Azamara, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, NCL, and Princess right now, and I'm seeing this frequently as I read these boards, so it's not just Princess.

I just posted this yesterday on the Princess board. It's like there's an epidemic of this kind of thinking lately. Substitute "NCL" for "Princess":

This is the second post in 10 minutes on this Princess board where I've read someone complaining about Princess' customer service not bending the policy for the poster's "special" situation. I'm getting the impression people think that the more cruises they taken, or the more money they've spent, or the more money they are going to spend in the future, that it entitles them to special treatment.

I've got cruises booked on Azamara, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, NCL, and Princess right now, and I'm seeing this frequently as I read these boards, so it's not just Princess.

I just read an article a few days ago about how the customer service industry has turned into entitlement fulfilling rather than servicing customers. And I agree...we live in a me, mine, I want it now and I don't care kind of world.

People expect and demand NCL to play by the rules in posts on here daily. It's a two way street. You know what you signed up for. You know the risk you take. You won't get any concessions from the car dealer after you bought your car at full sticker price and a guy 11 months later bought the same car with a $4000 rebate. Your bank isn't going to give you anything in return when your mortgage is at 4% and your neighbor just got theirs at 3%. The hotel isn't going to put you in the penthouse because the last minute rate is less than what you paid in advance for your double room. It doesn't make business sense.

You either have the luxury to take advantage of the last minute deals or not. I personally do not have that flexibility. I have to book months in advance knowing full and well that prices may change. Someone may be in my same cabin or on my same flight for half of what I paid. But I booked when I was content with the price and it fit my needs. Pay the credit card off and go about enjoying your vacation :cool:

That is irrelevant. You entered into a legally binding contract when you booked the cruise. Actually having sailed or not is irrelevant.

Also NCL has a price match withing a particular period of time policy as well. Read the web site.

Reading a thread and the posts responded to prevents nonsensical responses like this quote.

Pointing out faulty logic is not irrelevant to any discussion.

Had my post actually been read in context the erroneous assumption that I was the subject of this thread might not have been made.

It is troubling that there are those who feel compelled to misinterpret and misconstrue any and every comment they deem negative.

I just read an article a few days ago about how the customer service industry has turned into entitlement fulfilling rather than servicing customers. And I agree...we live in a me, mine, I want it now and I don't care kind of world.

People expect and demand NCL to play by the rules in posts on here daily. It's a two way street. You know what you signed up for. You know the risk you take. You won't get any concessions from the car dealer after you bought your car at full sticker price and a guy 11 months later bought the same car with a $4000 rebate. Your bank isn't going to give you anything in return when your mortgage is at 4% and your neighbor just got theirs at 3%. The hotel isn't going to put you in the penthouse because the last minute rate is less than what you paid in advance for your double room. It doesn't make business sense.

You either have the luxury to take advantage of the last minute deals or not. I personally do not have that flexibility. I have to book months in advance knowing full and well that prices may change. Someone may be in my same cabin or on my same flight for half of what I paid. But I booked when I was content with the price and it fit my needs. Pay the credit card off and go about enjoying your vacation :cool:

I agree.

One of the posts yesterday that blew me away was someone who had booked a $100k world cruise, but was going to cancel it and never cruise on Princess again because they wouldn't reverse his $50 internet charge he thought was excessive! I would not have believed that one if I hadn't read it with my own eyes.

Another was someone who thought because he/she had 20+ cruises with a cruise line that they deserved an after final payment discount.

I've been cruising for 42 years, have 59 cruises, and do my homework before I book, like you said above. I feel no special "entitlement" because of my cruise history or money spent.

I was whining to my husband a few weeks ago because I thought SiriusXM should give be a "loyalty" break on pricing when I added a second car radio. My husband just gave me the "look", and I said "oh, yeah, this is SiriusXM we're talking about, aren't we?"

Edited by pcur

Sorry, but this is NOT a customer service issue. This is a you wanting something that you are not entitled to receive but hoping that you could get it.

You booked, and paid for your cruise, that should be the end of the discussion.

Sooner or later (probably sooner) the cruises lines (all of them) are going to say once you are booked that is it, no changes.

I'll have to add, You have X number of days to cancel your cruise for a full refund.

The new rule is that if you book and cruise in under 30 days you get no perks so the new people will not be getting those perks that you are wanting

I just did a mock booking for Jan 16 (less than 30 days) and the perk options showed up and I could select any of them.