Why no Celebrity WORLD CRUISES?

zoncom

I asked a similar question on another thread, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2292257

I think the issue is needing to have a smaller ship to get enough people signed up ho have a high probability of keeping the reservation and sailing.

- Joel

We did a world cruise on a ship that held 2,200 people. About 700 did the "full world" and the rest were people doing various segments of 20-25 days or double or triple segments.

One issue for me would be the lack of storage in the Celebrity cabins combined with no passenger laundry facilities.

Edited by jeno

I did the Insignia(ex R ship, like Azamara). Lots of storage. They did have laundry machines but most of us had wash and pressing included.This is perfect size for WCs. Gets into city ports big ships cannot .Had 8 segments; mix of long and shorter.Az, at lesser price, would be acceptable.

There is some word about Azamara doing this in '17 or'18. Might be the first step.

Azamara Journey will be offering a World Voyage, beginning on March 7. 2018. You can read more about it here : https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/destinations/2018-world-journey

Sure wish I could do it, but that's going to have to wait until retirement.

They don't have enough ships in the fleet to spare one . Also most of their ships don't fit the current Panama Canal.

Hi Kamloops50,

The M-Class ships would fit through the canal... but I think it's more about Celebrity not having enough ships in the fleet, to sail everywhere. Besides, world itineraries (if taken for the entire length of the cruise) are not an option for many, as it's a very specific target audience.

As I've said for ages, Celebrity should have kept at least one of the Century class ships, and revitalized it. Century, or one of her sister ships would have been a great option for the more exotic itineraries.

Edited by Host Andy

A WC wouldn't work for a Celebrity ship. It's really not that the cabins are too small, because Crystal has small cabins and they do world cruises, but I think the main problems would be not enough variety in food options ( can you see the same menus rotated every two weeks) due to provisioning difficulties for such large ships, not enough potential passengers to make it profitable, no self serve laundries, and finally, Celebrity would have to expand their entertainment staff and not reduce it like they've been doing for two years.

I also don't think that Celebrity would want to provide the perks that world cruisers expect such as limo transport to the airport, first class flights, four figure OBC, free internet and free luggage shipping.

I've done parts of world cruises on Crystal and I have to be honest when I say that I would never consider doing a partial or full world cruise on a Celebrity ship.

OP, why not do your "World Cruise" the way we did - in eighty-four days at sea over seven years on Celebrity and Azamara [although Celebrity also now do the segments we did on Azamara]? OK, the segments we did were not all in the same direction but it amounts to the same thing and, along the way, we got to do some highlights that otherwise would have been missed by taking "side-trips".

In October I am looking at this combo as kind of a world cruise-

Fly from the US to Sydney, take the Oct. 8 Sydney - Singapore sailing which arrives Singapore Oct 22 on the Solstice then fly Singapore to Barcelona and take the Equinox TA Barcelona - Ft. Lauderdale which departs Oct 25.

The flights work out pretty good from SIN-BCN and the cabin costs for both are very reasonable. Since my wife & I both work time off for five weeks is the biggest issue.

Apparently size doesn't always matter. Cunard does world cruises yearly with all three ships. QE and QV are basically the same size as M class, and QM2 is larger than S class. No lux perks like Crystal, but they do have free self serve laundry, soap included. And I haven't heard complaints about boring menus. EM

Hi Kamloops50,

The M-Class ships would fit through the canal... but I think it's more about Celebrity not having enough ships in the fleet, to sail everywhere. Besides, world itineraries (if taken for the entire length of the cruise) are not an option for many, as it's a very specific target audience.

As I've said for ages, Celebrity should have kept at least one of the Century class ships, and revitalized it. Century, or one of her sister ships would have been a great option for the more exotic itineraries.

Agree with Andy, only nine ships and they are probably put where they will make the most money.

Apparently size doesn't always matter. Cunard does world cruises yearly with all three ships. QE and QV are basically the same size as M class, and QM2 is larger than S class. No lux perks like Crystal, but they do have free self serve laundry, soap included. And I haven't heard complaints about boring menus. EM

And P+O does a world cruise with 8 ships

Hi Kamloops50,

P&O Aurora left on her world cruise today and the Arcadia leaves in a few days, also on a world cruise. Oriana is about to embark on a 50+ nighter. That's three ships out of a complement of eight (soon to be seven).

For me the main problem would be the lack of a laundry. On both the world cruises I've done, the laundrete was always busy. As for the menus, they rotated every sector, so effectively repeated 5 times in a hundred plus days. I bet you repeat meals more often than that at home!

Infinity does the Panama Canal, but it seems X keeps their ships pretty busy without a WC.

We are doing our own WC, it will spread over five years and will include a fair amount of land travel to have more than just the 'taste of' that the cruises give.

Edited by SPacificbound