Booking Hotel Rooms through AQSC

Kathy53

We have reserved the New Orleans to Memphis cruise from September 4 - 12, 2016. We are actually arriving in New Orleans on September 2nd, so when booking the cruise, our booking agent through AQSC suggested that she reserve those 2 nights at the same hotel we will be staying at before our cruise so we wouldn't have to change hotels. The hotel is the Hyatt Regency New Orleans. We then told her that we would be staying in Memphis for 2 nights post-cruise and she made the same offer. This is at the Sheraton Memphis Downtown. This is not a pre or post cruise City Stays, just a hotel booking. Consequently, we booked through AQSC because I was told that they offer a better room rate for cruise guests. I noticed that the posted room rates on the respective hotel websites were lower than what we were quoted. I inquired with AQSC and was told that the manager of both hotels confirmed that we were getting a preferred rate. Our invoice indicates a Standard Room. Has anyone booked hotels through AQSC in this way and found that their rooms were upgraded? Has anyone found it best to book independent of the AQSC? This will be our first river cruise and while both of these hotels are excellent properties, we are not familiar with how AQSC treats these bookings. Any information you have, would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

We are doing the same itinerary in March, but the opposite way. They told us the same hotels as you listed in each city. But I couldn't get the Sheraton Memphis...all sold out for dates before our cruise, so we will have to move :( and I found the Hyatt $$$... So we booked our own hotels through online sites.

We have never sailed AQSC before, but I find the cruise lines rates are usually higher than I can get on my own. I search online sites and book there. Just my 2cents.

Good luck...expensive cruise, but looks interesting and different...enjoy.

Thank you so much for your comments. Believe me, while I found the rates quoted by AQSC rather high (considering our CDN $ has no prospect of recovering within the next 6 - 8 months) I thought that we should at least be given the 'preferred' rate as promised. I just might make a call to the Hyatt in New Orleans and get the $171 rate rather than the $255 per night rate we are paying AQ because they do have availability for the nights I need. The Sheraton is only a $10 difference to AQ advantage so will probably leave as is. In any event, I appreciate the feedback. Enjoy your cruise. We are very excited about it as well.

I recently booked AQSC for a Snake/Columbia River cruise next fall. This booking includes one night in Spokane before the cruise. I booked directly with the same hotel the night prior at what I think was a pretty good rate. At this time, they were not able to "link" the two nights...same hotel but, I'm trying to avoid changing rooms. At the moment, the hotel only "sees" the block booking by AQSC, no individual names have been provided to the hotel.

I appreciate your feedback. Interestingly enough, I called the Hyatt Regency New Orleans last evening to be told that our room for the 2 nights prior to our cruise was NOT as yet booked. There was a significant difference so I booked the 2 nights and when we finalize our payment in June, AQSC will then book the night prior to the cruise which, as we all know, is included in the cruise price. We don't want to change hotels either for one night, and some may not want to change rooms, but the person I spoke with at Hyatt said to tell the Front Desk when we check-in the arrangement with AQSC and we will likely be allowed to stay in the same room. I then booked 2 nights in Memphis through the internet and sent an email to AQSC asking them to remove those bookings from our invoice and send an updated one - minus the hotel stays, which was done immediately.

I understand that AQSC commits to a block of rooms for their passengers since their offering is to book everyone in a hotel the night prior to the cruise. Consequently, they negotiate an exceptionally good rate because of volume and while I appreciate the offer that they will book any additional nights, I didn't appreciate paying well above the posted rates on the hotels' websites. I don't expect to pay what AQSC pays for the rooms but paying such a high premium on that rate, is somewhat unreasonable. But, it is up to the traveller to make sure they do their homework.

I was intrigued reading this thread because we always book before-and-after stays. But for what it's worth, since we are flying into these cities from the West Coast with several stops and potential delays, we book hotels (and B&Bs) online for the best rates and flexibility. Our last trip was into Memphis, with significant weather delays and circumnavigation. We finally made it and enjoyed two days of delicious recuperation before embarking on the AQ. I think you will appreciate the freedom your own initiative gives you. At least, we do!

"Riversights", thank you. This cruise has been on our bucket list and so very excited about it. We're excited to spend, basically 3 days in New Orleans pre-cruise; 2 days in Memphis post-cruise and then we're heading up to Nashville for 2 more days before we return to Vancouver, Canada. This is going to be one great adventure. I sure hope we don't have delays but, we have some leeway if that happens. Fortunately, we only have one stop each way in Denver so keeping our fingers crossed. And, can't get any better than enjoying the savings and putting it towards great food in these 3 amazing cities. Wishing all of you in this thread a great cruise. Cheers!

• 2 months later...