Formal nights in the Caribbean - gentlemen's attire!

Sitting in the very wet UK, dreaming of sunnier climes and wondering what to pack and could do with some advice! First time in the Caribbean and I get the impression that formal nights are not as formal as we are used to in Europe (no problem with that - very sensible too!). But what should I take for the other half? He is a farmer so his clothes go from one extreme to the other - black tie or extremely casual! I think black tie would be a bit over the top. He does have a couple of nice blazers which he can wear with contrasting trousers/chinos - would that be ok? I am sure nobody would mind, but I would hate to think I was turning out my man under-dressed!

Anything goes these days, the cruise line is loathe to enforce any rule or suggestion. While there are still men in tuxedos, what you described should be in the middle of the range of attire.

Edited by clarea

Sitting in the very wet UK, dreaming of sunnier climes and wondering what to pack and could do with some advice! First time in the Caribbean and I get the impression that formal nights are not as formal as we are used to in Europe (no problem with that - very sensible too!). But what should I take for the other half? He is a farmer so his clothes go from one extreme to the other - black tie or extremely casual! I think black tie would be a bit over the top. He does have a couple of nice blazers which he can wear with contrasting trousers/chinos - would that be ok? I am sure nobody would mind, but I would hate to think I was turning out my man under-dressed!

This might be heresy in here, but nowadays he'll feel overdressed in a tux, or even a black tie. A blazer with contrasting slacks/trousers would be perfectly fine for the formal night. I did a business suit and tie on the Oasis in 2014 on both formal nights and even then I was on the upper end of dressy. I wore a sports coat, Hawaiian shirt, and khakis on the first night, and one of the bartenders topside was ribbing me a bit jokingly asking if it was a formal night already, if that helps at all

Be prepared for this thread to degrade into a battle between those for and against wearing formal wear. I always take and wear my tux, but hey, I have to get some use out of it.

There are a couple of interesting threads on this topic going on now on the Princess boards.

I used to always wear a tux but now I wear a sport coat with a fun tie or even a bow tie sometimes. Also, a tux is a lot to get into if you're flying to your cruise and you're trying to get it all into one suitcase.

Ask him what he wants to wear.

The only way he'll feel overdresses is if he cares what other people *might* think about how he looks. If he doesn't, a tux is as fine as a polo shirt.

I personally like to dress up, so I have a jacket and tie, sometimes a nice suit. I'm fine if anyone else thinks I'm overdressing- as I really don't care what other people think.

FWIW- my personal gut feeling is that most people think that people who dress up look good. Not that it's too much. I like seeing women in dresses and men in suits/tuxes.

But that's just me. My wife does like that I enjoy dressing up.

Also, a tux is a lot to get into if you're flying to your cruise and you're trying to get it all into one suitcase.

Not necessarily. The tux is just the choice of clothes for those nights. We have to fly to every cruise, and packing the tux and cocktail dresses don't affect things much. One suitcase for me and one for DW, which we cross pack. They each typically weigh in around 38 pounds for a one week cruise. Extended (10+ day cruises), we take a third suitcase and also plan on laundry.

Be prepared for this thread to degrade into a battle between those for and against wearing formal wear. I always take and wear my tux, but hey, I have to get some use out of it.

There are a couple of interesting threads on this topic going on now on the Princess boards.

I was hoping to avoid that debate, but I know it is a sensitive subject! I love dressing up - you note there is no questions about what I should wear!! Just trying to gauge the right level. Glad to hear you'll be wearing your tux - nothing makes a man look smarter, but I suspect mine will opt for his blazer.

A tuxedo is not really appropriate for the Caribbean. Too dark. The white dinner jacket is the normal level of formality for the Caribbean. (They basically don't do real formal in the Caribbean.) See the attached pic.

Of course, it is worn with the same pants, shirt, tie and shoes as a tuxedo.

Edited by UpcountryTravelers

A tuxedo is not really appropriate for the Caribbean. Too dark. The white dinner jacket is the normal level of formality for the Caribbean. (They basically don't do real formal in the Caribbean.) See the attached pic.

Of course, it is worn with the same pants, shirt, tie and shoes as a tuxedo.

Tux or dinner jacket, rally doesn't matter. I feel if you are bringing a blazer or sport coat, just bring a tux. Never know who you'll run into.

1451950622908.jpg.776879fe1bfe78975030e37d9320e5dc.jpg

If my husband owned a tux, that is what I would pack - he wouldn't get much of a choice ;) . But I LOVE dressing up lol

Go buy him one. I paid less than $100 for mine 20+ years ago and it's gone on at least 30 cruises, plus a few land events.

Of course the pants are adjusted to the max and the jacket won't button. But it looks good after all these years

My hubby wears a tux or dark suit with tie to formal night (in the Caribbean and elsewhere). He isn't the only one and doesn't stand out as overdressed. As others have mentioned it does vary widely what people wear, and slacks with blazer or sports coat would be fine! But don't feel that he can't wear the tux if he wants to.