Cabin location on Nieuw Amsterdam

rphmbl

This is our first cruise on HAL and we chose the NA for an Alaskan cruise in August. I have read several posts stating that the VB cabins on deck 5 have smaller balconies than on other decks. Is this true? Would you recommend choosing another deck? Not too many cabins left to choose from and we want to have a decent size balcony for the glacier viewing. Also is there much motion in a forward or aft cabin?

Thanks in advance for your input.

The Nieuw Amsterdam is very stable. We did a TransAtlantic + Mediterranean with her last spring. I have heard of at least smaller ships having to pull in their stabilizers in Alaska if too much ice, and getting some motion then, but I think there is little worry of that in August.

I do not know about the balconies. Someone should be along...

I have read several posts stating that the VB cabins on deck 5 have smaller balconies than on other decks. Is this true?
NO. The VA cabins between 5053 and 5138 are just 4.5 ft deep, (as are the VQ cabins on decks 10 and 11) but the side VB and VC on deck 5 are 6 ft deep.
Also is there much motion in a forward or aft cabin?
It depends on the ocean. We've had several high-forward and a couple of high-aft cabins. In a couple of the high-forward ones we've had some short spells (1-3 hours) of lots of motion, but in the high-aft we had only moderate to low motion.

Of course down low and forward or aft you will get much less rolling motion, but the same pitching as up high. Personally the rolling bothers me more than the pitching but I've heard others say the opposite.

Edited by jtl513