Calanques from Marseille

tricmurr

We are considering doing a boat trip to the Calanques once we dock in Marseille. Has anyone done this before? If so suggestions on how or who you have used as a tour guide?

Regards and many thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

We were there in 2014. My husband found quite a bit of info over at trip advisor prior to our trip. We were VERY pleased with our day and I would love to go back! I'm pasting this from another post I wrote:

This summer we took a boat ride to the Calanques from Marseille. It was great. You have a several options/hours to choose from. If you’re at the far end/mouth of the harbor of the Old Port (Vieux), their booth was on the upper left corner. We were there on a Saturday, so I didn’t see other options for a Calanques tour, but I’ve heard there are more. You can also do a boat excursion to Chateau d’If and to the Frioul Islands. These boats are on both the upper right and left corner of the harbor and have regular departures (several companies offer these trips). See http://www.marseille-tourisme.com/en...at-excursions/ and http://www.croisieres-marseille-calanques.com/ for more. Advance reservations are not necessary (but I do recommend getting there early for a shaded seat).

As you’re exiting the harbor on these vessels, look back at Marseille for an amazing view! (Note: the view coming out of the harbor is even better than the view from the ship).

Though I didn’t go, the Palais Longchamp is a beautiful setting for a stroll. Of course, there’s the Cathedral not far from the Old Port and the Basilica Notre Dame de la Garde that sits above the city.

-----

Have a great cruise!

As far as transportation, this Thread discusses a number of options.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2221515

Here's another with general info on the area: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2203494

We took our ship's shuttle because we did not want to take any chances with the boat sailing times. Other options are taxis, the local bus (+ metro), the free shuttle and there's also a boat.

Enjoy your cruise.

• 7 months later...

Back from our Mediterranean Vista cruise.

One of the highlights has been exploring the Calanques for the whole day on a private semirigid boat from the Vieux port.

We shared with two other families from our roll call.

We explored Chateau d'If, Frioul islands, a wonderful cave and many Calanques.

We had four swimming stops out of crowds with one of the best waters ever.

There's at list three companies doing it, we choose l'Eden Boat and it was a blast.

I think Les Calanques is a perfect option at the end of an exhausting and intensive Mediterranean cruise.

One of the highlights has been exploring the Calanques for the whole day on a private semirigid boat from the Vieux port.

There's at list three companies doing it, we choose l'Eden Boat and it was a blast.

I think Les Calanques is a perfect option at the end of an exhausting and intensive Mediterranean cruise.

Thanks for the encouragement! We have a Calanques boat tour from the Old Port to Cassis for our upcoming trip...very excited about it!

• 8 months later...
Hi,

We were there in 2014. My husband found quite a bit of info over at trip advisor prior to our trip. We were VERY pleased with our day and I would love to go back! I'm pasting this from another post I wrote:

This summer we took a boat ride to the Calanques from Marseille. It was great. You have a several options/hours to choose from. If you’re at the far end/mouth of the harbor of the Old Port (Vieux), their booth was on the upper left corner. We were there on a Saturday, so I didn’t see other options for a Calanques tour, but I’ve heard there are more. You can also do a boat excursion to Chateau d’If and to the Frioul Islands. These boats are on both the upper right and left corner of the harbor and have regular departures (several companies offer these trips). See http://www.marseille-tourisme.com/en...at-excursions/ and http://www.croisieres-marseille-calanques.com/ for more. Advance reservations are not necessary (but I do recommend getting there early for a shaded seat).

As you’re exiting the harbor on these vessels, look back at Marseille for an amazing view! (Note: the view coming out of the harbor is even better than the view from the ship).

Though I didn’t go, the Palais Longchamp is a beautiful setting for a stroll. Of course, there’s the Cathedral not far from the Old Port and the Basilica Notre Dame de la Garde that sits above the city.

-----

Have a great cruise!

How long was the boat ride out of Marseille?

• 9 months later...

Do you remember what company your used for this tour? This sounds so perfect for our group.

Thanks

The most beautiful Calanques are in Cassis.

I recommend you to take a tour to Cassis and join one of the many boat trips offered there. If you prefer a private service rather than the cruise tours: provenceprivatetour.com.

I personnaly did their Calanques National Tour and it is a must. I didn't want to board the classic boat tours because they don't stop for a swim. Our guide knew a walking access to the Calanques. After a 20 minute walk (hike) we were swimming in the laguna. On the way back to the ship we could have a panoramic tour of Marseilles.

Enjoy France !

• 1 year later...
On 2/18/2018 at 5:18 AM, David Rayburn said:

The most beautiful Calanques are in Cassis.

I recommend you to take a tour to Cassis and join one of the many boat trips offered there. If you prefer a private service rather than the cruise tours: provenceprivatetour.com.

I personnaly did their Calanques National Tour and it is a must. I didn't want to board the classic boat tours because they don't stop for a swim. Our guide knew a walking access to the Calanques. After a 20 minute walk (hike) we were swimming in the laguna. On the way back to the ship we could have a panoramic tour of Marseilles.

Enjoy France !