Scared to cruise

Scaredcrazy

Hello. I need help. Iv planned a cruise to the Caribbean with my children. San Jaun St Thomas St Martin and Labadee. I have just been reading some horrible things about cruising and the ports being dangerous. I'm so very nervous to take them now , in fear someone will try to kidnapp them or possibly being held up on an excursions. Can anyone give me advice to what I should do..[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

You are going to safe ports. You will be in no more danger than you would be in any of the cities of NE.... (I see you say NJ is home.)

Use the usual common sense. Tell you children what you expect of them while you are traveling. Make the rules and stick with them. Only carry with you cash you will need for the day, minimum of 'stuff' you don't need.

Millions of us cruise every year and all you hear about are some reports by a small number and we don't ever usually hear the 'whole story'.

Don't take dumb risks and you all should be fine.

You are going to safe ports. You will be in no more danger than you would be in any of the cities of NE.... (I see you say NJ is home.)

Use the usual common sense. Tell you children what you expect of them while you are traveling. Make the rules and stick with them. Only carry with you cash you will need for the day, minimum of 'stuff' you don't need.

Millions of us cruise every year and all you hear about are some reports by a small number and we don't ever usually hear the 'whole story'.

Don't take dumb risks and you all should be fine.

Great advice! You are going to three of my favorite ports.

Labadee is a private Royal Caribbean beach resort. The only place you can get into any trouble is going past the vendors kiosks where they try to make you buy things. I don't like hard sells and hawkers, so I just take the other way to the beach. Otherwise it is a great beach day.

San Juan is no issue if you stay to the main areas. There is one area in Old San Juan below a cemetery that is a bad neighborhood, just don't go down there! It is between the two forts down by the ocean. There is a free trolley that goes from point to point that is great.

We enjoy St Thomas and we have always felt safe there and on St John. Don't flash lots of jewelry or money, only use the taxis that come to the port and don't follow people who offer you a,shopping deal down an alley. We tend to hop on the ferry to St John to go to the beach or take a taxi to one of the St Thomas beaches.

Is there crime on the islands? Sure there is. However, in my small town of 2,500 in Maine, sad to say, we have had recent meth lab and heroin busts, so even we are not immune.

Hello. I need help. Iv planned a cruise to the Caribbean with my children. San Jaun St Thomas St Martin and Labadee. I have just been reading some horrible things about cruising and the ports being dangerous. I'm so very nervous to take them now , in fear someone will try to kidnapp them or possibly being held up on an excursions. Can anyone give me advice to what I should do..[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

I would not worry at all about kidnapping. Excursions have been held up in the past but I don't think it was in your ports. If you have a 30 k diamond or expensive watch you may want to leave those in the safe on the ship. You should research dengue and chikunguya viruses though and learn how to prevent the mosquitos bites that cause them.

Oh and welcome to cc. Threads from newbies do breathe fresh air into cc. :)

Edited by Karysa

I can't imagine what you've been reading that would scare you like that! The Caribbean is pretty safe.....probably safer than your shopping mall parking lot at home! Labadee is the private beach...just like being on the ship...but on land! Great day!

As far as kidnapping..no worries...I'm sure no one really wants someone else's kids....

Edited by cb at sea

I have a suggestion - stop reading. Seriously, you will not have any problems on those stops.

DON

As others have said, cruising is really safe. For extra confidence on your first cruise why don't you just book all cruise ship excursions? Short of actually holding your hand they will usher you around, ensure your transport is safe....

As others have said keep valuables to a minimum, we use a lanyard wallet to avoid pickpockets, keep your family together as a group and you will have a great time!

As others have said, cruising is really safe. For extra confidence on your first cruise why don't you just book all cruise ship excursions? Short of actually holding your hand they will usher you around, ensure your transport is safe....

As others have said keep valuables to a minimum, we use a lanyard wallet to avoid pickpockets, keep your family together as a group and you will have a great time!

Taking ship excursions ensures that the ship will wait for you but ships excursions have been held up. They are generally larger so more bang for your buck if you are a robber and they would have a very set schedule as well.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Your children and you will be fine.

Just take precautions in the ports -- the same you do when going to the malls, etc. at home.

Start thinking positive and talk to children as to what they want to do in the ports. Since you are a first time cruiser, take the ship's excursions. They will make certain that you get back to the ship on time in the various ports.

Taking ship excursions ensures that the ship will wait for you but ships excursions have been held up. They are generally larger so more bang for your buck if you are a robber and they would have a very set schedule as well.

This is true, but usually robberies happen for excursions that take place on a bus - on land. I've never heard of, for example, a snorkel or sailing excursion being robbed. First off, most people don't bring much money to snorkel or sail and secondly, no one wears jewelry to snorkel and hopefully not to sail either. So what would be the point of robbing an excursion boat?

Thank you everyone for responding.. Iv also been doing some you tube as suggested by a cruise associate, which does show ports and how the environment is, however in all the videos I watched I hardley saw any children on the pier which also makes me wonder as well.

We have been cruising since my kids were under 10 and find it a great family vacation. I would not hesitate to take kids on a cruise. Having said that as with anywhere else you do need to be aware of your surroundings and not take chances.

The islands you are visiting are fine just plan ahead and make sure you are comfortable with the tours you sign up for. Since this is a first cruise stick with ship excursions and maybe even shorter ones to get a feel for what is out there. If you find you feel uncomfortable after the first stop rethink what you will do at the next ports. My thoughts, however, is you will do your first and look forward to the rest.

My kids, if given the choice, will pick a cruise for vacation. Of course they both young adults now but its been that way since their first cruise.

To those mocking New Jersey, the entire state is not what you see in Newark, it is called the garden state for a reason. The majority of the state is actually quite rural, where I live I am surrounded by trees and the only place I can walk to is my neighbors and that's a bit of a trek!

We have been cruising since my kids were under 10 and find it a great family vacation. I would not hesitate to take kids on a cruise. Having said that as with anywhere else you do need to be aware of your surroundings and not take chances.

The islands you are visiting are fine just plan ahead and make sure you are comfortable with the tours you sign up for. Since this is a first cruise stick with ship excursions and maybe even shorter ones to get a feel for what is out there. If you find you feel uncomfortable after the first stop rethink what you will do at the next ports. My thoughts, however, is you will do your first and look forward to the rest.

My kids, if given the choice, will pick a cruise for vacation. Of course they both young adults now but its been that way since their first cruise.

To those mocking New Jersey, the entire state is not what you see in Newark, it is called the garden state for a reason. The majority of the state is actually quite rural, where I live I am surrounded by trees and the only place I can walk to is my neighbors and that's a bit of a trek!

I don't think that anyone was mocking EnJay, we were saying that we've heard "things" about the state but that did not keep us from visiting:).