Late arrivals to fixed seating in MDR

On our last cruise ( 12 night Serenade) the family at the next table (9 people) arrived 30-75 minutes late for FIXED second seating every night. In addition, they would come in at a few at a time and want to start dinner. Two would arrive at 30-45 minutes late ( place a multi course order and want to be served) , 2 more an hour late ( place a multi course order and want to be served) , and the rest 75 minutes after the fixed seated time ( place a multi course order and want to be served). The staff would have to stop what they were doing for the patrons who had arrived per the scheduled fixed seating, and explain the menu, take the order and deliver meals each time for those who arrived at different late times.

Since they were not at our table, we never thought it would matter. But the lateness, staggered arrival and multi course/multi portion demands of the group would really throw our wait staff off. When we (and the other tables they had) were done dinner and ready for coffee and dessert, the wait staff and head waiter would be consumed with the dinner order/delivery/re delivery for these late patrons. A few times we simply left.

The wait staff apologized every night for the break in service. The Head Waiter offered assistance to the staff and also noted to us that the standard service was off because of the lateness and staggered arrival of the next table but there was nothing he could do. The staff specifically asked us not to hold the service break against them when we completed the survey.

Honestly I place the blame with the Maitre D for allowing folks to enter the MDR more than an hour after the FIXED dinner time. We tried to speak to the Maitre D on the 4th night but I am sure he didn’t hear as during the two minutes we were speaking with him, he answered his phone 3 times. We walked away after he answered the third time. I know RCCL does not want to “upset” any passengers, but the actions of the 9 they did not want to offend, created a negative impact on several other tables of passengers. At some point, the dining rooms doors need to be closed so that those who selected fixed dinner can be properly served. I know the MDR doors close at a specific time for breakfast and lunch, why not at fixed dinner also?

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Thanks. M

We never experienced anything like that ourselves, except a young couple seated at our table came in maybe 4 times during our 15 day Hawaii cruise and know they didn't tell our waiter because he asked us. He ended up taking our orders when our family arrived. Hopefully the people at the next table didn't wait and ordered. On our Serenade cruise last Oct, they closed the doors but to cut down on the draft plus we were MTD for that cruise, normally we go with early dining.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

"...The wait staff apologized every night for the break in service. The Head Waiter offered assistance to the staff and also noted to us that the standard service was off because of the lateness and staggered arrival of the next table but there was nothing he could do. The staff specifically asked us not to hold the service break against them when we completed the survey".

We have never experienced anything like that but if we had I would have politely advised the wait staff including the head waiter that we would not accept any less service due to the late arrivals at the other table. If anyone's service was to be below standard or a break in service it will be the late arrivals at the other table. Not us and not our problem. I would also have advised the wait staff if we receive the so called break in service/below standard service it would be negatively noted on the post Cruise survey. Another reason we always request a table for two. At least we don't have to deal with inconsiderate people like the people next to your table.

Edited by davekathy

Unfortunately, we've seen something similar happen on other cruise lines so it's not an RCCL issue; it's a rude passenger issue. As is the case too often in any service industry, the customers who make the most noise or create the most problems suck up an inordinate amount of attention from the staff to the detriment of other guests.

I agree that the servers should not make an unreasonable effort to accommodate persistent inconsiderate behavior, but unfortunately that never seems to be what happens,

Back in the day the dining room door were closed 10 min after fixed time. It was considered unacceptable to enter after that. It was printed in the newsletter that the doors would close and promptness would be appreciated. Maybe they should go back to that system. Wouldn't that be refreshing? :eek:

We had a table for 4 and the first evening (early dining) our waiter asked if we were waiting for the other couple we said no and he took our order. Around the time we got our dessert the other couple showed. This happened the whole cruise. My thoughts were what was happening to the second seating cruisers. We don't know if there was anyone sitting there for the second seating. We really felt sorry for our wait staff.

Agree with the above post from LovesCruising. Close the doors and say "Sorry, you will have to go to the buffet tonight since it is past the start of the fixed dining time."

Edited by retiredgram

I think the doors now closed 30 minutes after the opening time, I agree it was unacceptable and rude, the Head waiter should have dealt with this after the 2nd night, as for the Maitre' D think after what He/ She did I would have wanted to speak to the Hotel Director.

Edited by BARNET

We had a table for 4 and the first evening (early dining) our waiter asked if we were waiting for the other couple we said no and he took our order. Around the time we got our dessert the other couple showed. This happened the whole cruise. My thoughts were what was happening to the second seating cruisers. We don't know if there was anyone sitting there for the second seating. We really felt sorry for our wait staff.

People like this should get My Time dining - unfortunately they are VERY inconsiderate. They should have been told by staff that second seating would be needing that assigned table for other guests and to please try to arrive promptly. Sad the cruiseline is so afraid of upsetting a guest.

I think the doors now closed 30 minutes after the opening time, I agree it was unacceptable and rude, the Head waiter should have dealt with this after the 2nd night, as for the Maitre' D think after what He/ She did I would have wanted to speak to the Hotel Director.

Wish I had thought of the hotel director. I guess I felt badly for the staff and didn't want to get them in trouble. They were trying hard. Head waiter was apologetic but did nothing to remedy the problem and the Maître D was worthless/and ignored our brief conversation .

We were in the back of the dining room so if they closed the doors, these folks came in anyway. By the last few days the staff served the late comers appetizer, soup and entrée at the same time. Didn't help much as they came in the dining room in shifts and staff had to go through the process at least 3 times.

Our dinners came on time, maybe a bit quickly as they knew what was coming later - it was the coffee/dessert that suffered.

M

I suspect there are passengers, especially first timers, who are simply clueless regarding dining etiquette on cruise ships. They may need to be clued in (by either staff, table mates or by meeting with closed doors) that there is an expectation that one will be on time for fixed dining. We had relatives going on their first cruise mention that their assigned time was too early for them but it would be "no problem" since they planned to just show up late. They had no idea this would inconvenience anyone and probably would have done it for the entire cruise (and even subsequent cruises?) if everyone had continued to smile and accommodate them.

"...The wait staff apologized every night for the break in service. The Head Waiter offered assistance to the staff and also noted to us that the standard service was off because of the lateness and staggered arrival of the next table but there was nothing he could do. The staff specifically asked us not to hold the service break against them when we completed the survey".

We have never experienced anything like that but if we had I would have politely advised the wait staff including the head waiter that we would not accept any less service due to the late arrivals at the other table. If anyone's service was to be below standard or a break in service it will be the late arrivals at the other table. Not us and not our problem. I would also have advised the wait staff if we receive the so called break in service/below standard service it would be negatively noted on the post Cruise survey. Another reason we always request a table for two. At least we don't have to deal with inconsiderate people like the people next to your table.

We had a lovely table for two, at the window just in front of a nice wine cabinet. Had I been seated at a table with such inconsiderate passengers, I likely would have requested a change.

M

we were on a cruise at a table for 8.Early dining. first couple of nights there was one solo guest that would arrive 15 or 20 minutes late. Then on the next night he arrived about 40 minutes late. waiter politely told him that it was too late for him to order a main course, but he was welcome to order dessert. problem solved.

Edited by retird

We had a group like that at the table next to us on Independence about a year ago. They'd roll in 30-60 minutes late every meal looking like they just came down from the pool deck (another issue entirely). It was a 6 night cruise, and they were never less than 30 minutes late any of those 6 nights. There was one time we were ordering our dessert as they came and sat down.

Every time they showed up late it really threw off the wait staff, but nothing was ever said to them that I heard. There were multiple times the wait staff had to completely switch gears to deal with the late arrivals which caused big delays in servicing the rest of their table. The one night they showed up just over an hour late I wondered if they would even be able to finish dinner before the late seating arrived.

I'd say 15 minutes is more than a fair amount of time to wait for late arrivals. If dinner is 6:00pm and you can't get there by 6:15pm, you should be directed to the Windjammer. If you want to set your own dinner schedule, sign up for MTD.

Often it is rude passengers, and in that case nothing short of closing the doors and politely refusing service if they manage to slip in will work.

SOMETIMES it is passengers who truly don't understand the concept of a fixed dining time, and the Maitre d' needs to politely inform them "that in order for everyone to get gracious service, you must be here before 6:15 (or whenever) or plan to eat elsewhere" and enforce it. This enforcement needs to come from the Maitre d' and should not be the job of the waiter.

Unfortunately it is the squeaky wheel that gets attention, and until we all start complaining to the Maitre d' (and if that doesn't work, the Hotel Director) it is not going to change.

Thom

Last year, we ran into a situation where our table guest asked for 3 appetizers and the first night, our waiter waited until they were done to serve everyone their entree. We politely asked our guests if they minded if we were served our entree as soon as we were done and they had no problem. It all worked out and we ended up ordering our desserts at the same time and enjoyed the rest of the evening with them at the table.

we were on a cruise at a table for 8.Early dining. first couple of nights there was one solo guest that would arrive 15 or 20 minutes late. Then on the next night he arrived about 40 minutes late. waiter politely told him that it was too late for him to order a main course, but he was welcome to order dessert. problem solved.

Why can't they all have the guts to do this?

Years ago when you first arrived for dining, the waiter and assistant would introduce themselves. Then they would ask that you please try to be on time as it was very important

Why can't they all have the guts to do this?

Years ago when you first arrived for dining, the waiter and assistant would introduce themselves. Then they would ask that you please try to be on time as it was very important

I agree but can you imagine the headline," Family is refused dinner service on Royal Caribbean ship" :eek:

M

Last year, we ran into a situation where our table guest asked for 3 appetizers and the first night, our waiter waited until they were done to serve everyone their entree. We politely asked our guests if they minded if we were served our entree as soon as we were done and they had no problem. It all worked out and we ended up ordering our desserts at the same time and enjoyed the rest of the evening with them at the table.

Really? It used to be if you ordered a soup and a solid appetizer they would bring the soup first, let you finish, then bring the second one. However, the last few years it seems like every Royal Caribbean waiter I've had will just stack multiple appetizers in front of you at the same time if you order more than one.

On our last cruise ( 12 night Serenade) the family at the next table (9 people) arrived 30-75 minutes late for FIXED second seating every night. In addition, they would come in at a few at a time and want to start dinner. Two would arrive at 30-45 minutes late ( place a multi course order and want to be served) , 2 more an hour late ( place a multi course order and want to be served) , and the rest 75 minutes after the fixed seated time ( place a multi course order and want to be served). The staff would have to stop what they were doing for the patrons who had arrived per the scheduled fixed seating, and explain the menu, take the order and deliver meals each time for those who arrived at different late times.

Since they were not at our table, we never thought it would matter. But the lateness, staggered arrival and multi course/multi portion demands of the group would really throw our wait staff off. When we (and the other tables they had) were done dinner and ready for coffee and dessert, the wait staff and head waiter would be consumed with the dinner order/delivery/re delivery for these late patrons. A few times we simply left.

The wait staff apologized every night for the break in service. The Head Waiter offered assistance to the staff and also noted to us that the standard service was off because of the lateness and staggered arrival of the next table but there was nothing he could do. The staff specifically asked us not to hold the service break against them when we completed the survey.

Honestly I place the blame with the Maitre D for allowing folks to enter the MDR more than an hour after the FIXED dinner time. We tried to speak to the Maitre D on the 4th night but I am sure he didn’t hear as during the two minutes we were speaking with him, he answered his phone 3 times. We walked away after he answered the third time. I know RCCL does not want to “upset” any passengers, but the actions of the 9 they did not want to offend, created a negative impact on several other tables of passengers. At some point, the dining rooms doors need to be closed so that those who selected fixed dinner can be properly served. I know the MDR doors close at a specific time for breakfast and lunch, why not at fixed dinner also?

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Thanks. M

This exact thing happened to us a few years back and I knew this would be a problem the entire cruise, so the next afternoon, we went to the dining room to request a change of seating (letting them know it wasn't the wait staff, but one table causing the problem). The Maitre 'D asked us to give it another day, which we did and again the same thing.

The Maitre 'D witnessed what we had told him and let us know the next evening would be different. Well..........he made sure of it, because he waited on us personally, along with another of his staff that evening. I'm one of those that don't want a lot of muss or fuss or draw attention to myself, but my sons enjoyed having food constantly brought out to them - even if they didn't order it.

The rest of the cruise was fine, as our wait staff made sure we were taken care of in a timely manner and if the other table of 12 had to wait, then so be it. Actually, the other table could have cared less that they had to wait for any period of time to be served. I never noticed any of them get demanding or looking perturbed during the entire dinner. They probably didn't even know there was another dinner seating after theirs and frankly could have cared less.

We had a 30 minute delay in table mates a few times. But we must have had some very experienced waiters, because they simply took the orders and caught them up. These guests didn't act entitled.

I wonder why they didn't just move the staggered table to another station w/ fewer tables or maybe a station just for them.

We did have an Assistant Waiter on Serenade that concentrated on selling wine instead of doing her normal duties like bring the second round of rolls. If you wanted a second roll, you had to take it the first time around. Seldom got my coffee. On our second cruise on Serenade, our Assistant Waiter (a man) was fabulous! Needless to say, he got a glowing evaluation, but not her. In fact, I think she was the first person I've roasted in over 20 cruises.

Basically, I'm more likely to give someone an excellent that probably doesn't deserve.

I'm wondering if RC is creating some of their own problems with this.

I've booked My Time dining on Explorer at the end of the month.

I pre booked my times leaving out nights we will be in specialty restaurants.

I mainly did this hoping for a table to ourselves.

My understanding was we would eat on level five.

Just got my cruise docs though and we are booked in on level two which I thought was for normal dining.

Are they mixing up My Time diners into the set dining?

I guess I'll find out. :)

UCF Knight, the waiter brought the 3 appetizers for the 7 guest after they finished the first, not all at once. Our first evening we waited for them to finish all three, then our daughter and husbands sister asked us if we could be served and not have to wait on the other guest. They did ask the other guest if they minded and they had no problem so when we were done with our appetizers, our waiter served us our meal. We really had a nice table for that cruise.

Edited by Desert Cruizers