Abbreviation Usage

Tom O.

I agree with ellieann. I think it's just lazy writing. I also wish that posters would use spell check before they post. I might be being pedantic but I think that it is just respectful to the other members of this forum. I think we should raise the bar instead.

Spell check is great, but at least on my computer (not sure if it is part of CC or not) it auto corrects.

So upsell became upset & I've had other changes that I did not require. (Not an excuse, but, if you are sure you typed it correctly...)

I regret starting this thread now.

All I had in mind was something to help newbies interpret the posts of the more experienced posters.

First I was scolded that there have been similar threads in the past.

Then my suggestion that there should be a sticky with an abbreviation glossary was unanimously voted down.

Then, bickering broke out between responders (I guess I should have expected that).

Is it really so bad to make the forum more user friendly for newcomers? Or is the objective to discourage new posters?

So many stickies is NOT more "user friendly". It's less.

Absolutely. And surely after reading CC and any related cruising forum for a very short while, you would have no need to scroll through a list to understand what an abbreviation is. Most pick it up quickly, or ask a short simple question. I wonder how many of us actually ever had to read the previous such sticky to understand a post.

I regret starting this thread now.

All I had in mind was something to help newbies interpret the posts of the more experienced posters.

First I was scolded that there have been similar threads in the past.

Then my suggestion that there should be a sticky with an abbreviation glossary was unanimously voted down.

Then, bickering broke out between responders (I guess I should have expected that).

Is it really so bad to make the forum more user friendly for newcomers? Or is the objective to discourage new posters?

Don't be. Not everyone feels that stickies are the end of the world.

I have never been fond of abbreviations, particularly in forums because it id far too easy to misunderstand when they mean and it makes it feel like a club f you don't know the lingo. I tend to skip posts that are a bunch of alphabet soup rather than real words.

We are not limited in characters in our posts so the need to shorten things is not as great. It's not difficult to type things out, especially if it would be difficult for the un-initiated to figure out what you mean without asking. Just because you know what you are posting does not mean everyone does. And many people, myself included, will not take the time to look up what abbreviations mean.

My take on it is this:

Anytime one picks up a new interest or hobby or even (for some of us still working) joins a new company, there is a new vocabulary and new set of abbreviations to learn. For example, when you take up cooking you have to learn a new cooking vocabulary (sous vide, agrodolce) and abbreviations (Tbsp vs tsp anyone?).

Posting on internet forums in general has its own set of conventions and abbreviations, as do specific forums. Most are pretty easy to figure out. I cannot recall more than a couple of instances where I wasn't able to figure out the meaning from the overall context, even though I may not have been specifically correct. For example, I know the set of abbreviations for various HAL suites but as I am not a suite customer, I just gloss over it. (Knowing that suite levels are being compared is about all I need to know.) Plus, doesn't HAL literature use these same designations?

It is a good thing to exercise our minds and keep learning. I am an editor and have been one for nearly 30 years, yet daily I find that I look up things that need clarification and learn new things. Contrary to what some people opine, language usage does change over time -- just think how many new words have been added in the last decade or two. How did we ever live without "bromance", "jeggings" and "bling" among others....:D

" Last year, my DH and I decided to take a cruise with our family for our 40th WA. Our TA was away so we contacted a PCC at HAL. After many discussions and having considered a B2B TATL and TPAC, we finally compromised on a C2N departing from FLL.

Our family is large so we booked a PS, NS, 3SSs and GTYs for 2VSs, 2OVs and one HC on the NA. OMG, we practically had to sell our house to afford this cruise. LOL. JK! But DH used his AMEX. BTW, FWIW, the PCC was far better than any TA we have ever used.

D-day arrived and after embarkation we went to the MDR for lunch. My DH, DD, DDIL, DGD, DS, FIL, MIL, DS, FIL, MIL, DSIL, DGM and I ordered the DOD. IMO, or rather, IMHO or IMHO, it was delicious.

We then made reservations with the DM for the PG that evening. We also made reservations with SHOREX for our first POC, although, TBH, IIRC, ISMH at HAL's prices."

TBC

" Last year, my DH and I decided to take a cruise with our family for our 40th WA. Our TA was away so we contacted a PCC at HAL. After many discussions and having considered a B2B TATL and TPAC, we finally compromised on a C2N departing from FLL.

Our family is large so we booked a PS, NS, 3SSs and GTYs for 2VSs, 2OVs and one HC on the NA. OMG, we practically had to sell our house to afford this cruise. LOL. JK! But DH used his AMEX. BTW, FWIW, the PCC was far better than any TA we have ever used.

D-day arrived and after embarkation we went to the MDR for lunch. My DH, DD, DDIL, DGD, DS, FIL, MIL, DS, FIL, MIL, DSIL, DGM and I ordered the DOD. IMO, or rather, IMHO or IMHO, it was delicious.

We then made reservations with the DM for the PG that evening. We also made reservations with SHOREX for our first POC, although, TBH, IIRC, ISMH at HAL's prices."

TBC

Thanks for providing a great example of abbreviations gone mad. I had a good laugh (LOL).

TBC

Thank_You.gif.656141914a827f8331dfef6454d8ae41.gif

Joanie

Happy_Happy_Face.jpg.9292240bd0caf83004a8c015f26ebf14.jpg

LOVE-It-heart-Button.jpg.ce99660ff87d4313f130d030ad5278fa.jpg

• 1 year later...
After intense searching through my User CP, I was able to find my Original Cruise Critic Acronym Thread that once graced the Sticky section.

Here it is: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1296357

Side note to jtl513; John you made me search:)

Joanie

Thanks Joanie...That's what I was just looking for..Someone mentioned abbreviations in the tipping thread & I thought it would be a lost post..I was going to start a new thread & quote your list,..Wish that Walt would make your list a sticky again..New posters have a difficult time with all of our acronyms..I remember I did when I first joined..

I have a separate list (not yours) in my PC & still sometimes have to look at it..[Going to copy & paste your list too in my docs..Hope you don't mind../SIZE]

A few more:

IRTCA - I'm ready to cruise again.

WTDTLO - What time does the Lido open?

IMTYYM - I miss the Yum-Yum man.

DIRHTDU - Do I really have to dress up?

BPP - Bigger plates, please.

AYSTDC - Are you saving that deck chair?

BBC - Basketball court

;)

Once upon a time there was a Sticky thread that grew quite long with abbreviations used here and in cell phone texting, but in a clean-up it and some other useful/popular stickies got pitched.

And for that reason I usually say T-A for Trans-Atlantic just because most people use TA for travel agent.

Deleted after realizing the date(s) and that I'd posted the list 2 posts above....Duh, shows you why it's important to read every post before replying to one...(Hanging head im embarrassment)....

Betty, and any others that wish to copy and paste, be my guest. I created the list for all of us:)

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

TBC

I wanted to reply to this using abbreviations, but you've covered all the ones I can think of!

And yes, I understood this, although I will admit it looks funny.

When everyone was using a computer with a full keyboard, people did tend to type out every word. But users of "virtual keyboards" found typing to be a PITA (ooh! I found one you didn't use!!) and abbreviations made life easier. Most can be inferred from context. That's how I learned the lingo here.

A list of abbreviations definitely should be one of the sticky threads. I am only seeing four sticky threads today (1/18/17). I would also like to see a list of groups and charters as another sticky thread. Nothing wrong with six very informative sticky threads.

igraf

The last thing the Holland America forum needs is another sticky. It was finally down to a reasonable amount, then BAM! back up to 11, mostly useless, stickies again. It's back down, but still has more than are needed.

If any newbie can't get the meaning from the context, they can ask the veterans of this forum, and any number of them will be happy to answer.

A list of abbreviations definitely should be one of the sticky threads. I am only seeing four sticky threads today (1/18/17).

You went back and quoted a post from a year ago? :rolleyes: Well, since you did ...

I stand by what I posted then. Apparently, at the time, we were up to 11 stickies; recently we were up to 15. That's not counting the announcements; I forget what the count was on that at the highest. Together they took up almost half of the first page before you got to the latest new post.

Both threads you referred to were once stickies, but the people in charge of those things decided to unstick them.

Edited by RuthC

My take on it is this:

Anytime one picks up a new interest or hobby or even (for some of us still working) joins a new company, there is a new vocabulary and new set of abbreviations to learn. For example, when you take up cooking you have to learn a new cooking vocabulary (sous vide, agrodolce) and abbreviations (Tbsp vs tsp anyone?).

Posting on internet forums in general has its own set of conventions and abbreviations, as do specific forums. Most are pretty easy to figure out. I cannot recall more than a couple of instances where I wasn't able to figure out the meaning from the overall context, even though I may not have been specifically correct. For example, I know the set of abbreviations for various HAL suites but as I am not a suite customer, I just gloss over it. (Knowing that suite levels are being compared is about all I need to know.) Plus, doesn't HAL literature use these same designations?

It is a good thing to exercise our minds and keep learning. I am an editor and have been one for nearly 30 years, yet daily I find that I look up things that need clarification and learn new things. Contrary to what some people opine, language usage does change over time -- just think how many new words have been added in the last decade or two. How did we ever live without "bromance", "jeggings" and "bling" among others....:D

Exactly! When I joined the Airline Industry I had to learn thousands of new codes & a new way to send Telex Msgs. to Europe & other Carriers in order to do my job correctly.. Learning to use acronyms is easy if someone is willing to take the time.. I would never avoid posts with acronyms, since I'm very interested in what others have to say..

Host Walt posted another list which is actually a Cruise Critic topic on on the other thread (about tipping) today.. This is a topic about how to construct posts on Cruise Critic,.. That WEB site is quite interesting..

Here's another list (along with other useful stuff):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting

The acronyms are the third topic on this page.

Unquote Edited by serendipity1499

I did make a point of mentioning the date.....

Fifteen stickies is too many and I think that four is not enough. I personally think that it is bad manners to use a lot of abbreviations without some reference. Normally, one spells it out once and then uses the abbreviation in subsequent use. The excuse recently used that one should figure it out by the context of the post is not sufficient.

igraf

ps People using NA don't fool me. They just don't want to look up how to spell Nieuw Amsterdam! :-)

You went back and quoted a post from a year ago? :rolleyes: Well, since you did ...

I stand by what I posted then. Apparently, at the time, we were up to 11 stickies; recently we were up to 15. That's not counting the announcements; I forget what the count was on that at the highest. Together they took up almost half of the first page before you got to the latest new post.

Both threads you referred to were once stickies, but the people in charge of those things decided to unstick them.