Celebrity Itineraries vs HAL Itineraries

mcrcruiser

We took one HAL cruise and were very unhappy with many things about it, but for about 5 years after that we would get their brochures and they have GREAT itineraries!!

They also had great experts on the ship (it was a Panama canal cruise).

BUT, we will not cruise HAL. Their service was horrible, the ship had lots of plumbing and maintenance issues, and mostly their demographic was from 75-90 years old and they cater all their shore ex and entertainment to that demographic. NO THANKS

SO, yes, I wish X would have more exotic itineraries.

I've done a few longer cruises with X (New Zealand/Australia, 2 Westbound TA's & the Eastern Med/Israel) and am wondering, where else do you want them to go? With the exception of Africa/South Africa they seem to have ships positioned throughout the world during the year.

I've done a few longer cruises with X (New Zealand/Australia, 2 Westbound TA's & the Eastern Med/Israel) and am wondering, where else do you want them to go? With the exception of Africa/South Africa they seem to have ships positioned throughout the world during the year.

For one X could reinstitute the R/T Hawaii from San Diego which they abandoned when they sold the Century,15 night . They could also do a R/T to Tahiti /Hawaii & back ,29 night . Those are just for starters :D

We have done 9 X cruises and what drew me away from NCL to X was itineraries all over the World. HAL does have the world cruises, where you can stay on board for 4 four months, but that is way too long for us. For us 28 days on a cruise ship is our max.

Also, when we wanted to cruise Japan, I searched all the cruise lines and only Princess and HAL did Japan (did not search expensive lines that I would not use like Oceana).

HAL has some great looking itineraries, but Celebrity seems to be a better fit for us.

Also, we would not handle all the smoking very well.

We have done 9 X cruises and what drew me away from NCL to X was itineraries all over the World. HAL does have the world cruises, where you can stay on board for 4 four months, but that is way too long for us. For us 28 days on a cruise ship is our max.

Also, when we wanted to cruise Japan, I searched all the cruise lines and only Princess and HAL did Japan (did not search expensive lines that I would not use like Oceana).

HAL has some great looking itineraries, but Celebrity seems to be a better fit for us.

Also, we would not handle all the smoking very well.

We did a 21 day SD to Sydney cruise on HAL's Noordam (built in 2006 ,Vista class ) in a balcony cabin . That ship was going another 14 days on to Melbourne & New Zealand ports . Then it was staying in the Australia market for the season. We flew back from Sydney after a week in that lovely city :D

Celebrity does use Soltice for the Pacific crossings ;but ,it sails back & forth from Vancouver & not a American port . Even if Soltice was to sail back & forth from SF or LA ,there would be no necessity to fly except back from Australia or New Zealand one way . By sailing from or to Vancouver ,it makes the need for one more flight to a foreign airport .Prices are much higher flying in & out of Vancouver vs a West Coast USA airport ;)

A fabulous cruise would be a R/T Tahiti /Hawaii ports ;which Princess & some times HAL does . Princess does it from San Pedro world Cruise center ,near LA & HAL usually does it from San Diego .That particular itinerary is done by each cruise line once or twice each year . We would not consider Princess ;but do consider HAL for that cruise & no need for air for us :)

For one X could reinstitute the R/T Hawaii from San Diego which they abandoned when they sold the Century,15 night . They could also do a R/T to Tahiti /Hawaii & back ,29 night . Those are just for starters :D

That itinerary was our first cruise. Loved it. 29 night R/T west coast/Hawaii/Tahiti would be fantastic but it's not going to happen, at least not anytime soon.

I asked about both and the answer more than once was 'no'. The reason that I heard recently is with all the sea days, 12 of 15, the itinerary did not meet profit goals. Consumption of more fuel and less shore excursions. Seems like a lame excuse. There are a few alternatives such as Holland and Princess.

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

That itinerary was our first cruise. Loved it. 29 night R/T west coast/Hawaii/Tahiti would be fantastic but it's not going to happen, at least not anytime soon.

I asked about both and the answer more than once was 'no'. The reason that I heard recently is with all the sea days, 12 of 15, the itinerary did not meet profit goals. Consumption of more fuel and less shore excursions. Seems like a lame excuse. There are a few alternatives such as Holland and Princess.

Rob we can only hope that one day either X or RCCL ships will plow those waters . X & RCCL do risk loosing that part of their customer base & I wonder what their plans could be with a ever upsetting Europe market & the opening of the new Canal to take perhaps larger ships ,if they can clear the bridge .;)

We took one HAL cruise and were very unhappy with many things about it, but for about 5 years after that we would get their brochures and they have GREAT itineraries!!

They also had great experts on the ship (it was a Panama canal cruise).

BUT, we will not cruise HAL. Their service was horrible, the ship had lots of plumbing and maintenance issues, and mostly their demographic was from 75-90 years old and they cater all their shore ex and entertainment to that demographic. NO THANKS

SO, yes, I wish X would have more exotic itineraries.

Just got off a HAL cruise in September to Alaska. Great land and cruise itinerary but agree 100% with above post regarding the ship.