Seattle hotel - Amtrak?

familycruzer

My schedule is finally coming together so I can plan a budget to pay for my cruise.

We will be flying into Seatac on a Friday around 3pm. We want to spend Saturday and Sunday in Vancouver and our ship sails on Monday. On our return from the cruise the following Monday we will transfer back to Seattle and fly out Tuesday morning.

We know for sure we are going to quick shuttle back to Seatac since we can get a pick up at the cruise port and just stay by the airport since our flight home will be at 6 am.

We would like to take the Amtrak to Vancouver but with a 3pm arrival I believe I will miss the train. My question is ... Amtrak only leaves from King Station not Seatac correct? If so, where can we stay for a night that is safe, clean, and reasonable ($150 and under if possible) and catch the first train out to Vancouver? We dont mind using public transportation if the directions are easy to follow.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We would like to take the Amtrak to Vancouver but with a 3pm arrival I believe I will miss the train. My question is ... Amtrak only leaves from King Station not Seatac correct? If so, where can we stay for a night that is safe, clean, and reasonable ($150 and under if possible) and catch the first train out to Vancouver? We dont mind using public transportation if the directions are easy to follow.
Right, the trains leave from King Street.

But unless Amtrak reschedules the trains, I don't know why you'd miss the evening train departure. The train goes out at 6:50 PM, so if your plane gets in at 3, after collecting your bags etc. you're looking at 3:30 or 4 PM on the street worst case, and it's a 20-min. cab ride from the airport to the train station. Sounds to me that you'd be cooling your heels at King Street for a couple of hours.

There aren't any downtown hotels - especially ones costing $150 during cruise season - that are super convenient to the train station; you're looking at a $10 cab ride from most parts of downtown, maybe $15 from the Seattle Center area. On that budget you'd probably be better off getting an airport-area hotel, but with the understanding that you're going to be up with the chickens in order to get to the station in time for the early morning departure.

Silly question, but why not just fly to Vancouver?

Free airfare to Seattle with Southwest! Plus I want to do the train.

In September will it still be light enough out to see the sights on the train with the evening run?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by familycruzer

Daylight disappears quickly during Sept, so it depends on WHEN in Sept.

Use the table in this link:

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp

You could stay near the airport and catch the morning train .... it's only 20 minutes by cab from SeaTac to King Street. You should be able to find an aiport hotel for $150; Hampton, Sleep Inn other chain hotels

LINK is also super-convenient for Seatac/Amtrak travel, as there's a station next door (International District/Chinatown). Of course you need to be able to handle moving all your bags around by yourself...

Last time we were on an early train from Seattle we stayed in Hotel Five - cost us less than $10 for a cab to King St station, took c.10 minutes.

Check the sunset time for your travel date - if it's 8:30pm or later you really won't miss anything on the evening train. Train is scheduled to leave Bellingham at 9pm and after that it's just boring flat stuff. Southbound the stop right at the border is nice in daylight - beach, sometimes lots of eagles - but there's no stop northbound so you don't get much time to see it.

Edited by martincath

if you try for the evening train then take the towncars at seatac for a $45 flat rate. If you take a taxi they charge by time and miles so in traffic you may easily pay more than the flat rate towncars. There is a phone in baggage claim and you call ground transportation and they come right to baggage claim to pick you up.

• 3 weeks later...

Best Western at the airport. They have a free shuttle to and from the airport and they will also drop you off at the light rail station for free (if you're staying the night there). Take the light rail to the Chinatown/International district. It's a short walk from that station to Amtrak. Made that exact trip several times.

Edited by idahospud

• 1 month later...
Best Western at the airport. They have a free shuttle to and from the airport and they will also drop you off at the light rail station for free (if you're staying the night there). Take the light rail to the Chinatown/International district. It's a short walk from that station to Amtrak. Made that exact trip several times.

This is what I do. I love this property and the shuttle service cannot be beat. Always good prices as well.