Water Taxi on St. Martin

breezy1200

Water taxi was $6pp round trip last year. In the past the water taxi usually stopped at Bobby's Marina as well as the main pier that drops you off near the center. But last year we did not stop at Bobby's Marina - not sure if this is permanent but in any case it is not a big deal as it only takes a couple of extra minutes. Some people prefer the main pier as it allows you to go to the beach on go straight into the main shopping areas of Front Street.

Walking to town is clear and easy - but the water taxi adds a little flair to your island visit as they play music and you get a nice boat ride!

Pull up a map of St. Maarten on the internet and you can get the "lay of the land" - it's an easy place to get around.....have fun! We will be there in 3 weeks!

The Water Taxi has been $7 for All Day and $5 for one way since at least early 2013.

th_DSCN0374.jpg

(click)

There are actually three Water Taxi stops in downtown Philipsburg - Bobby's Marina, Little Pier (center of the beach) and the relatively new Downstreet/Walter Williams Jetty, near the Sea Palace at the far end of the Boardwalk.

I don't think you can guarantee the direction of travel (or even if they will visit the Downstreet Jetty).

The Water Taxi can provide some great photo ops, and they usually have cheap water and beers on board to get the party started.

gary

When departing the cruise ship and walking to the cruise port, the water taxi

will be on your left with a large overhead sign. It is after the "Welcome to Sint Maarten" sign. I have never used the water taxi, don't know how many stops it makes.

I believe it just goes between the 2 points. It is almost exactly a .5 mile walk.

• 3 weeks later...

I was trying to figure this out as well as last time we were there we did Bernard's Island Tour. I figured we would hang at the beach this time. What I found under a Google search is one stops at the Greenhouse (Bobby's Pier?) and the other at the middle of the beach. It said to ask before you get on where it is planning on going.

As for Google Maps, don't try to use the photos to help you much. You can kind of see the Water Taxi dock to the left of the main pier. But it doesn't even show the new pier building so it is old. I was trying to discern if there was a nice walkway but again, the photo being old made it impossible to see. If you zoom in on the beach area you should be able to identify the Greenhouse Restaurant at the very east end of the boardwalk. The dock in the middle is easy to spot as well. As for Front, Back and Old Street, it is all in Dutch on the map.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The Water Taxi has been $7 for All Day and $5 for one way since at least early 2013.

th_DSCN0374.jpg

(click)

There are actually three Water Taxi stops in downtown Philipsburg - Bobby's Marina, Little Pier (center of the beach) and the relatively new Downstreet/Walter Williams Jetty, near the Sea Palace at the far end of the Boardwalk.

I don't think you can guarantee the direction of travel (or even if they will visit the Downstreet Jetty).

The Water Taxi can provide some great photo ops, and they usually have cheap water and beers on board to get the party started.

gary

Good you pointed out there are several stops the water taxi makes.

We have seen many people get off on the first stop and they are still a bit out of downtown by getting off there.

If you want to get off downtown, get off on the second stop.

I've always walked it or else walked to where I would pick up a rental car, but next week we are taking a cruise that starts and ends in St. Maarten. I was wondering if any of you know if they would allow you to bring your luggage on the water taxi in the morning and how far is the drop off from the water taxi to Holland House Beach Hotel. Will probably just walk it even with luggage since even taking a land taxi almost doesn't seem worth it. I was just thinking the water taxi would give a different feel.

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone! traveling to the Southern Caribbean for the first time with my family on the adventure of the seas, and I'm trying to figure out different excursions. First stop is St. Maarten and I want to do the "beach Rendezvous" through the cruise ship but on the way back i really wanted us to go to the Tiki Hut snorkel park on our own, so my question is, does anyone know how ofter do the water taxis go to and from the pier? I'll probably have only 3 hrs left and of course I want to make it back on time! thanks!

• 2 years later...

BEWARE: 

My purse was dropped on the water taxi on the return ride to the cruise port. It was found by Norwegian cruise liner passengers whom turned the purse into port authority security staff on the bay side. The contents were stolen by the security staff. They detained me for questioning. I was the absolute last passenger back onto the Regal Princess last week, January 24, 2019. Completely scared to death being separated from my two lil girls and husband.

8FADF788-FA21-484B-8B6E-5BF9BB92BCED.jpeg

956A9FC8-B7FD-4344-A196-F7781FE217F2.jpeg