NASA Rocket Launch

jb1842

Hi. Taking our first cruise on the Sensation from Jan. 31-Feb. 4. It looks like NASA scheduled a launch on Feb. 3, our sea day. I know we will be too far away to actually see the rocket, but wondering if weather permitting will we be able to see the smoke trail. Anybody ever see this before? The geek in me wants to look for it.

Hi. Taking our first cruise on the Sensation from Jan. 31-Feb. 4. It looks like NASA scheduled a launch on Feb. 3, our sea day. I know we will be too far away to actually see the rocket, but wondering if weather permitting will we be able to see the smoke trail. Anybody ever see this before? The geek in me wants to look for it.

If you are at sea returning to port, you might be too far away. I witnessed the last launch of the shuttle Discovery from the Disney Dream in Port Canaveral while docked prior to our sailaway. It doesn't take very long for the rocket and smoke trail to get out of sight.

Edited by evandbob

Unfortunately probably not. The rockets launched from the cape tend to be on the smaller side these days. For example, I live just outside of Disney World and this is what we could see from the last Space X launch a couple of weeks ago. Taken with an iphone from about 60 miles away.

c4c813a6-7050-41bb-b0ef-ee254490cf71_zpsc1yxv7j5.jpg

I know this doesn't answer your question, but in 2006, the space shuttle was scheduled to launch on Thursday during our vacation in Daytona beach. We had planed to watch over dinner & drinks from our ocean-view balcony, when the launch was scrapped.

Saturday morning, when I went online to check in for our Sunday am flight home on SWA, I discovered that I had actually booked the return flight for Sat, and missed it. After scrambling to get another flight, the only one I could get was for 8pm that night (Sat), cutting our vacation short a day, and creating a chaotic rush to pack, check out and get to the airport.

About a half hour into the flight (from Orlando to Hartford), the captain announced that the Space Shuttle had launched and he had received permission to turn the plane around temporarily so we could view it from the air. It was an incredible sight, but the most memorable thing about it to me was the excitement in the Captain’s voice as he made the announcement – like a little kid about to meet his favorite sports hero.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but in 2006, the space shuttle was scheduled to launch on Thursday during our vacation in Daytona beach. We had planed to watch over dinner & drinks from our ocean-view balcony, when the launch was scrapped.

Saturday morning, when I went online to check in for our Sunday am flight home on SWA, I discovered that I had actually booked the return flight for Sat, and missed it. After scrambling to get another flight, the only one I could get was for 8pm that night (Sat), cutting our vacation short a day, and creating a chaotic rush to pack, check out and get to the airport.

About a half hour into the flight (from Orlando to Hartford), the captain announced that the Space Shuttle had launched and he had received permission to turn the plane around temporarily so we could view it from the air. It was an incredible sight, but the most memorable thing about it to me was the excitement in the Captain’s voice as he made the announcement – like a little kid about to meet his favorite sports hero.

We had a cruise in Dec 06 and it was a launch as well. Then it got scraped till the next day. I forgot how far we were out and we forgot to go out and see it. We were very fortunate though to have a gentleman who was a reporter for the launches on board. This was one he was taking a vacation. He pointed us in the right spot though and got great pics for launch pad. What a great pic to have for the memory.

We were lucky enough to see two launches from Cape Canaveral. One in 1996 and on the next year in 1997. The first one we were disembarking from the Fantasy and the shuttle was scheduled for an early morning(6 am) takeoff. What an amazing sight. The next year the flight was schedule on the morning we were sailing, so got to watch it from our hotel.

Wow, that must have been a once in a lifetime deal. WTG.

It all depends on how close you are. 200 - 300 miles and if you are looking at the right spot, and there aren't any clouds between you and the rocket, you probably can.

I watched two or three shuttle launches from Orlando and followed the rockets for many minutes, so it can be done.

I just arrived at Port Canaveral for a day Ecstasy cruise. While we were handing over our luggage to the porter, a rocket launched at Cape Canaveral. The port area shook and the rocket was extremely loud with sonic boom noises. The launch was a surprise and it happened so quickly that you barely had time to see the rocket before it disappeared. It was an interesting experience.:cool:

we watched one from Rustys in Port Canaveral... you could see for a long way. if your ship is close you will see it

Depends on where your ship is. Feb 3rd I'll assume your heading back to port in Florida. Might be close enough to see it. What port are you coming from and going to on the 3rd? I understand it's a sea day. Also what time is the launch? If it's a early morning launch like an hour or 2 before sunrise you might see the smoke trail when the rocket gets high enough for the sun to light up the smoke trail high up in the night sky.

Kinda like this.

Trails from minotaur rocket launch

This was apparently a night launch in California shortly after sunset and once the rocket got high enough the sun lit up the smoke trail.

Decided to look up on NASA's website and they have a rocket launch tomorrow about noon EST. but I don't see any other launches scheduled.

http://www.nasa.gov/launchschedule/

Edit found the Feb. 3rd launch on Kennedy space centers website. Rocket launch is at 8:47 am EST.

Another edit, Ok yes you should be able to see it. You will be between Nassau and port Canaveral on Feb. 3rd. Almost all NASA launches go up and towards the southeast direction so it will probably go right over your head. If it's a clear day you should see it directly overhead.

Edited by Jeepenfun

Decided to look up on NASA's website and they have a rocket launch tomorrow about noon EST. but I don't see any other launches scheduled.

http://www.nasa.gov/launchschedule/

Edit found the Feb. 3rd launch on Kennedy space centers website. Rocket launch is at 8:47 am EST.

Another edit, Ok yes you should be able to see it. You will be between Nassau and port Canaveral on Feb. 3rd. Almost all NASA launches go up and towards the southeast direction so it will probably go right over your head. If it's a clear day you should see it directly overhead.

Oh cool! We're sailing from Port Canaveral tomorrow! I'll keep an eye out!

Oh cool! We're sailing from Port Canaveral tomorrow! I'll keep an eye out!

If your in the Canaveral area Around noon you'll not only see it but you'll hear it too.

Hmmm. Kennedy space center website doesn't show tomorrow's launch. NASA's website shows a launch tomorrow and has a T-minus count down on it too. Weird.

In the upper right side. http://www.nasa.gov. Launch is at 1:42pm

Edited by Jeepenfun