Shore Excursion Safety

cachouonacruise

Does anyone know, if cruise lines requires tour operators to meet safety criteria or regulations prior to be included as an approved shore excursion offered by the cruise line? The reason of my asking, is what I perceive to be a serie of fairly recent incidents: At least two bus crashes, one plane crash, a lady that drowned snorkeling, and one of my cousins who passed away last month, while on a Princess Shore excursion, caught by a big wave and drowned walking on shore with his wife at Los Cabos. As tourists in foreign lands, we sometimes are at risk to be too trustful of people or tour operators. I fully understand that things happens and that safety can never be 100% guaranteed anywhere. However, Is our trust justified that cruise lines do exerce due diligence prior to select tour operators or do we need to either ask more questions or somehow do more research? Any information on this issue would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Thank- you Keith 1010 for the feed-back. I have looked everywhere I could think and did not find anything. On board the ship, I am fully satisfied that safety standards such as SOLAS and others, are rigourously implemanted and inspected. For shore excursions "contracted agencies", I did not find any specifics.

I agree that unexpected things can happen anywhere and anytime. This said, agencies with a strong safety culture are less at risk to be involved in an unfortunate and unplanned event.

As a cruise ship passenger, can I take for granted that cruise lines have exerced due diligence regarding their choice of tour operators? If so based on what information? Or should I study the safety component of a tour operator more seriously? And if so, how should I proceed? For example, the tour bus agency name, is not often mentioned in the shore excursion description? Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk