do i need documents for shore excursions

scarletsmummy

If you get stopped by the police in the UK, and they want to see your licence, then you have a week to take it to the police station. Though all motor documents are now available on-line anyway, so I dare say they don't have to bother any more - I reckon the police will be able to download a copy of the photo without any trouble.

That applies to you and I and, as you say, given a name & date of birth the police can computer-check on the spot that we have an appropriate licence - the days of "produce within 7 days" are pretty-much history.

But if folk don't hold a UK licence the police will not be able to verify on-the-spot, so life can get complicated if they don't carry their licence.

Might even be a legal requirement to carry a non-UK licence (?)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

That applies to you and I and, as you say, given a name & date of birth the police can computer-check on the spot that we have an appropriate licence - the days of "produce within 7 days" are pretty-much history.

But if folk don't hold a UK licence the police will not be able to verify on-the-spot, so life can get complicated if they don't carry their licence.

Might even be a legal requirement to carry a non-UK licence (?)

JB :)

It is my understanding that here in the US if you are not a citizen you are required to carry proof that you are here legally, such as your passport with or without visa depending on what country you are from. While the authorities do have the ability to check the status the law still requires the documents to be carried.

If you get stopped by the police in the UK, and they want to see your licence, then you have a week to take it to the police station. Though all motor documents are now available on-line anyway, so I dare say they don't have to bother any more - I reckon the police will be able to download a copy of the photo without any trouble.

Just out of curiosity, what do you show if you travel to the US and want to rent a car?

Just out of curiosity, what do you show if you travel to the US and want to rent a car?

I've never hired a car in the USA, but the one time I hired a car in Spain I used my ordinary (non-photo) driving licence. I can't remember if they wanted to see my passport too, but I expect they did.

(I hadn't expected to be driving, but that was the holiday when we discovered that UK photo licences have an expiry date after 10 years - and my brother had owned his for 10 years and two weeks! So it had to be mine, which being 30 years old and non-photo, has an expiry date of my 70th birthday, 19 years hence. I wouldn't have been surprised if the hire company hadn't accepted it.)

It is my understanding that here in the US if you are not a citizen you are required to carry proof that you are here legally, such as your passport with or without visa depending on what country you are from. While the authorities do have the ability to check the status the law still requires the documents to be carried.

How exactly would the police know that you weren't born here unless every single person carried proof of citizenship. I'm a citizen now but I can tell you I have never in my life been asked for proof of citizenship, unless crossing an international border. Same goes for the passport. Back when I moved here you didn't need a passport so what exactly would I carry? If the law states that, I doubt the extreme vast majority of people don't know about it or do it.

When was the last time you were stopped by the police for a traffic violation (or anyone you know) and they said "proof of citizenship". No, they ask for DL, insurance and registration. You can get a DL whether a citizen or not.

How exactly would the police know that you weren't born here unless every single person carried proof of citizenship. I'm a citizen now but I can tell you I have never in my life been asked for proof of citizenship, unless crossing an international border. Same goes for the passport. Back when I moved here you didn't need a passport so what exactly would I carry? If the law states that, I doubt the extreme vast majority of people don't know about it or do it.

When was the last time you were stopped by the police for a traffic violation (or anyone you know) and they said "proof of citizenship". No, they ask for DL, insurance and registration. You can get a DL whether a citizen or not.

I didn't say that they check everyone every time they pull someone over or any other time. Be that as it may, the law is on the books. How it is enforced is a different matter entirely.