Decisions on Alaska 2006???

Joby

We are considering going to Alaska next summer.

It will be 2, 40-something daughters and a 70-something frail Mom who uses a cane/wheelchair to get around. We have sailed on Celebrity Century and Horizon and have an upcoming October trip on the Constellation.

Important things are: good food, ocean view cabin, good service, great possibility of wildlife (marine and land), and price.

We are thinking about either May, early June or August for timing.

We are looking at: Celebrity Infinity and Galaxy//HAL Volendam//Princess Sun, Dawn and Diamond//RCI Vision of the Seas and Serenade//NCL Star and Sun//Carnival Spirit.

Could I get some opinions from those with experience on lines other than Celebrity as well as vetren cruise travelers?

1. What time of year did you travel to Alaska and why did you pick that particular time? Please include weather, wildlife possibilities (both marine and land), prices, etc.

2. Why did you choose the particular line or ship for your trip?

I have been perusing the Alaska board too and asking questions there. Just trying to gather lots of opinions so that we might make a good choice of ship and timing for us.

My husband and I took a cruise to Alaska in September on the Sapphire Princess (sister ship to the Diamond). We went in September because we were already traveling to the West Coast that week and it was fairly inexpensive.

We chose that ship, because we wanted to try a Princess cruise. We have been on NCL and RCCI previously. We love NCL, but the NCL Sun only had suites left by the time we decided to book. Now we love Princess. We chose Princess for the personal choice dining. The ship, service and food were fabulous.

As for your question on the wildlife, we saw plenty. Several whale pods both while on the ship and during excursions, tons of bald eagles and a black bear. I believe you have a greater chance during September to see the black bears because the salmon are spawning during that month.

I would highly recommend the Sapphire Princess or the Diamond Princess.

We're thinking Summer 2007 on Star. We heard it's the best family ship. DD 7 & DS 4. They can be in kids clubs right?

What is the best part of the summer for wildlife viewing?

BIL might come with, if we book seperate cabins with him and DD in one and DW, DS, & me in the other; does he still get the double occupance rate?

I went in mid-July for no particular reason other than the fact that was when I scheduled a vacation. Any month, May-September will do, but you'll miss a lot of kids in May or September.

I chose Norwegian because of its freestyle dining. When I change time zones, and a few at that from east to west, it seems like dining at 6 PM is more like 9 PM with my body. Therefore, I like to dine when and with whom I wish. I couldn't imagine a second late dining experience.....

We are sailing on the Spirit in February from NYC, but for Alaska (this past August), we cruised on the Sun Princess. It seems that Princess has somewhat of a leg up on the other lines for Alaska. With the itinerary that includes Glacier Bay and excursions that other lines don't offer (Neets Bay Bear Watch), just my opinion, but Princess is the way to go for Alaska.

my feeling is the biggest deciding factor is how much time you have and whether you want a roundtrip or one way.

If you really want to see alaska then the one way option is the way to go.

We sailed from vancouver to Seward and then got off the ship and visited Anchorage and did the train up to denali and spent a few days there. The contrasts are amazing from Southeast Alaska to the interior.

On a roundtrip you do not have the opportunity to see interior alaska.

We did the RCCL Vision of the seas and it was a great ship from beginning to end.

Please email me if you have any other questions

Joby,

Went to Alaska this year end of May/beginning of June. Did a northbound trip from Vancouver to Whittier on Coral Princess in a starboard minisuite. The time in Glacier Bay and College Fjord was incredible. I am 50ish and took my mother who is 76. Regarding fellow passengers we had a good mix of 30s-70s, but avg 40s-50s age group. Not too many children. The weather was quite nice and layers that we brought were adequate.

Suggestions: if possible get a balcony cabin for the views! And go to other open decks around the ship for great viewing too.

Re: wildlife, we saw a lot of sea lions, seals, sea otters, loads of eagles in Juneau, many other sea birds including cormorants, some mountain goats, and we saw some whales from the ship [humpbacks mainly, but one orca]. On our whale watching excursion booked independently, we saw many many whales in Auck Bay out of Juneau.

I will say that the onboard naturalist who gave seminars and narrated some of the most interesting parts of the cruise and the park rangers that came onboard for the Glacier Bay day were an invaluable asset.

I have not been on any other line to Alaska, but when I return there I will likely choose Princess again, or possibly Holland America, just because of the onboard naturalists.

When I was planning my cruise, I learned a lot from the Alaska board and also researching the trip online.

Have a wonderful cruise!

My sister and I went to Anchorage and then a quick stop in Denali before heading to a wedding in Fairbanks. We rented a car and spent the first two nights in Anchorage. The Alaskan Native Heritage Center and Anchorage History and Art Museum are great ways to start. Having a background in all of the history and Native Amer. lore was smart. There is not much to see for wildlife in these two cities but many other great things are available to you. Truly thoguh Fairbanks was not my favorite place and it is far away from much else.

In Denali if you do not want to sit on the bus for 6 hours going in and back your choices are few. But if wildlife is that important you may want to. Still, there are no guarantees. We opted for the one and a half hour freebie where you can drive or be bussed to Savage River and back, didn't see any animals there.

As for the Dawn Princess, it was my first with that line so I was excited (and it was chhhhhhheaaaap). Ship, service and food was fine (not fabulous) but we were B_O_R_E_D!!!. I hear NCL is more fun there. Even HAL but the Dawn was subdued and had little entertainment staff on board. I think they figure they have the naturalist to speak while touring Glacier Bay etc. so they really cut down on the other staff, or something. All I know is I was in my room more than I have ever been in 12 cruises. I will assume that this was a function of itinerarty and not the cruiseline but I was disappointed even though I had the best oceanview given for an upgrade from my obstructed one.

On the way to the ship we stopped at the Alaskan Conservation and Wildlife Center where there are animals outside behind fences which have gotten hurt or too close to people. We saw an eagle, moose and bears there. That was most of our wildlife sightings.

Skagway is wonderful and you can see the same sites from the bus if you would like to save $35 per person and still see the Klondke Summit, White Pass Railway is $90. With the bus we also had an excursion to Liarsville (tent city), a short show there featuring a reading of Robert Service, very funny, and we got to pan for gold there too. I hope the ship you choose offers this. It is a ball for $55 each best bargain in twelve days.

In Ketchikan take one of the trolley tours once off the ship for $25. That is a great overview with stops at the totem park, rainforest area, Dolly's house with a great guide.

Have fun and I hope this helps.

Thank you so much for replying and giving me your opinions and experiences. It is all different, but also very helpful in that it gives me a broad range of opinions.

I fear that at this point a balcony is too expensive for us as is a July sailing. Unless we find a super deal, we will have to go with an OV cabin.

Other factors I have read are that only Celebrity, Princess, HAL have Naturalists full time onboard. NCL and RCI do not. Carnival, I'm not sure about yet. That may be a factor in NCL and RCI.

We do want to go RT from Vancouver. I understand it's prettier, especially for RT. We can get air for about $220 + RT from Indiana to Seattle. I think Seattle to Vancouver will not be too expensive or hard to arrange (from my reading).

I always arrange our port excursions. Always use private tours. For us, they are cheaper, smaller and more personalized than the ship's tours. Mom feels more comfortable on smaller excursions.

Please continue to post opinions! Even hints for price cutting if you have them.

Archived