Going from Radisson to HAL?

Joanandjoe

We posted this on the Radisson Board on 9/28, four days after returning from a wonderful cruise on the Radisson Seven Seas Navigator. We're curious about the reaction our question will get from HAL cruisers.

We've had two HAL cruises: Alaska in 1998 on the old Noordam, and Canada/New England in 5/02 on the Rotterdam VI. The Rotterdam cruise was great, and we did have a balcony on that ship (but not on Radisson). Nonetheless, the service and feeling of luxury on Radisson was much better than on the Rotterdam, and it was great not having to tip or sign chits for bottled water, soda, or alcoholic drinks (including wine) at dinner. Here is our posting:

"Our vacation time in 2006 is very limited, and we couldn't find a Radisson cruise even with our onboard discount. We're booked for an "SY" mini-suite on Holland America's new Vista class ship, the Noordam, from NYC (10 miles from home) for November, 2006, but have real concerns as to whether we'll be happy with a mass market line after being on Radisson. (That's why we're considering Silversea, and have started a thread on that subject.)

"Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether this will work? Should we try the Noordam, or cancel it and take a land vacation (or possibly Silversea)? We've been on HAL twice, but our last three cruises have been on Celebrity, Windstar, and the Navigator. We've never been on a ship with more than 1.300 PAX, and the Noordam has about 1,900."

"Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether this will work? Should we try the Noordam, or cancel it and take a land vacation (or possibly Silversea)? We've been on HAL twice, but our last three cruises have been on Celebrity, Windstar, and the Navigator. We've never been on a ship with more than 1.300 PAX, and the Noordam has about 1,900."

That's gonna be kind of hard to answer since the Noordam will be a new ship that no one has sailed before. One would assume the accommodations will be fine since the ship will be brand spanking new. The service will be hard to judge, again, because the ship will be new ... will they bring experienced service personnel in from other ships in the fleet, or will they have primarily a brand new service staff who may still be finding their way by the time you sail?

You will have to sign chits for wine and for soda/water, etc., so if that bothers you, then you probably won't enjoy sailing HAL. There's no way around that problem. HAL is not an all-inclusive cruise line. As for the difference in passenger numbers ... I wouldn't let the 1900 passengers bother me. Remember, the ship will be bigger. What I would be concerned with is the exact timing of my sailing. Are you sailing around the Thanksgiving holiday? If so, be prepared for a lot more children onboard. You may actually have more than 1900 passengers since many cabins will have a third and/or fourth person. If you are sailing before the holiday, you may not even have 1900 passengers as the ship may not be sailing at full capacity.

I think HAL is probably the best non-luxury line around. You will have a pretty close experience to Radisson, though it will not have those special elements, such as not having to sign chits, that you seem to enjoy. You will find museum-quality artwork throughout the ship, beautiful fresh flowers, and an ambience that is very definitely missing from many of the other lines.

Personally, I would give HAL a whirl. Hey, it's a cruise. Can't be all bad, right? And, on the plus side, unless you really drink extraordinary amounts of wine and soda, HAL is gonna be a lot cheaper that the luxury lines. If you really find that you don't care for the HAL experience, you can always swear off HAL for the future and stick just with the luxury lines.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I agree with Rita. If you enjoy sodas, purchase a prepaid card. You won't need to sign for those. Radisson and Holland America are different products; but trying HAL out is the only way for you to know for sure if you'll like what they have to offer or not. Good luck, and happy cruising.

I have been on both and both have their pluses.

Radisson is a lot of times cheaper than HAL for me. :confused: . I am a single traveler and like a balcony. When you add in the HAL single sup it is normally around what Radisson charges with their higher first person rate and low single sup.

I enjoyed the "open seating" and seating with different ppl every night. BUT, I always went down during the same 15 time span every night so, that is not that much different than having a fixed time to eat.

I do not drink other than wine at dinner, but so the signing is only for soft drinks on HAL.

NO MATTER what any body says,,, there just isn't any real lines on Radisson. That can not be said of a 1900 + ship.

IMHO, I will only do the R/S class HAL ships. I do not want an zillion ton ship with 2 mile walks to eat, which is that Carnivale is pushing on HAL.

You can forget about getting ANY service at Radisson HOME office. They are the worst I have found.

FYI,,, Radisson is just a marketing company,,, their ships and crews are with the except of the PG all owned and crewed by a company call VSHIP out of Europe.

Radisson and HAL are the only two cruise lines I've experienced. I think the differences between them are fairly well documented and understood. And, despite the words used in your original post, both are "mass market" lines, Radisson just falls into the luxury category while HAL is considered merely upscale.

In any event, I don't really think anyone on an internet message board can give you valuable input to your question. It is purely a personal decision, and only you know what factors are most important to you.

You mentioned you cruised on Celebrity.

So far as I remember, every time we cruised Celebrity we signed slips for our cocktails, wine, soft drinks. If it didn't overly irritate you there, it will be the same on HAL.

Since you sailed on HAL's "old" Noordam, they have instituted automatic tipping. A $10 per person per day charge is automatically added to your shipboard account. If you choose, you do not HAVE to tip anything additional. It is impossible for me to imagine someone not wanting to say an additional thank you if they have received good service.......which, in well over 40+ cruises on HAL, we have always enjoyed.

If you wish, you may tip, in cash, at any time you wish including at the end of the cruise or when the drink is served to you as you did on Celebrity.

If you do not wish to tip additional, then that is something you will not need to think about.

Only you can make the choice. Only you know what you require to satisfy you. HAL is an upper level, mass-market cruise line. In most cases, you will pay more for deluxe cruise lines and you should expect to get more from them.

Thanks for the input so far, and keep it coming! Obviously we wouldn't even consider HAL if we thought that HAL had a bad product; and of course we can get a soda card for Joan and pre-purchase wine if we don't feel like signing for everything. It's equally obvious that we won't keep or cancel based solely on these boards; nonetheless, your views are helpful.

Our biggest concerns are the size of the ship, and the Carnivalization of the HAL Vista class ships. We can take fixed time eating, even though we've been spoiled by the eat when you want, with whomever you choose aspect of the small ships. At least with a fixed early time we don't miss the entertainment because we early birds have fallen asleep before the show starts (which happened several times on Radisson). What we can't take are lines for everything, bad service, and being stuck with tablemates who are incompatible. Frankly, we've heard that service on the Vista ships isn't as good in 2005 as the 2002 service was on the Rotterdam.

We like good food and the feeling of being pampered. Can we get that on a HAL Vista ship? If a smaller HAL ship, Celebrity, Oceania, or any luxury ship, had the 11/06 itinerary we want at a time we can take it, we wouldn't try the Vistas. We also wouldn't take a cruise over Thanksgiving; but hopefully an 11 day cruise starting two days after Thanksgiving won't have many kids. Our last three cruises had zero, zero, and three kids onboard.

VERY strong chance that an elevan day cruise two days after Thanksgiving will have very few (if any) children aboard. At least, any school age children. Might be a child or two younger than school age.

If you are concerned about table mates with whom you are not compatible, it is just a matter of letting the maitre'de (spelling?) know. If possible they will change your assignment. On our last cruise, we were seated at a table for four when we had requested a table for 8. We had reservations in the Pinnacle Grill for the first night, so before we went to the PG, we asked for seating at a larger table. It has been our experience that when seated at a larger table, there is a greater chance for compatibility with at least someone at your table. Our new table was at a table for 6. The other two tables for 6 near us and 4 of the persons at our table were part of a group of 16 delightful ladies taking a cruise w/o spouses. The ladies changed tables each night, so we were able to get to meet nearly all of them and definitely enjoyed the diversity they represented. One of the ladies was on her 25th cruise (but the first w/o her husband) and one of the ladies was on her 1st cruise. Quite enjoyable. So don't worry if you aren't happy with your table assignment. Then, too, there is the possibility that you could get a table for 2.

We like good food and the feeling of being pampered. Can we get that on a HAL Vista ship? If a smaller HAL ship, Celebrity, Oceania, or any luxury ship, had the 11/06 itinerary we want at a time we can take it, we wouldn't try the Vistas. We also wouldn't take a cruise over Thanksgiving; but hopefully an 11 day cruise starting two days after Thanksgiving won't have many kids. Our last three cruises had zero, zero, and three kids onboard.

I have never sailed on Radisson, nor have I been on Celebrity so the only information I can offer is from my recent cruise on a HAL Vista class ship.

We were on the Zuiderdam in August, and yes she is a large ship, but we really didn't feel as if we were ever crowded. The ship was full, but the only time we had to deal with a line was going through the photo gallery when everyone was crowded around looking for their pictures.

We did feel quite pampered, and were pleased with the food. There was a couple with whom we were aquainted with and they requested a different table after the first night and were quickly accomodated as were all of our requests. We certainly felt as if the staff would have moved mountains to ensure we were taken care of. My husband (who had never cruised before) was well pleased and HAL exceeded his expectations, which is saying a lot.

Best wishes for whichever decision you make.

~e

Our biggest concerns are the size of the ship, and the Carnivalization of the HAL Vista class ships. We can take fixed time eating, even though we've been spoiled by the eat when you want, with whomever you choose aspect of the small ships. At least with a fixed early time we don't miss the entertainment because we early birds have fallen asleep before the show starts (which happened several times on Radisson). What we can't take are lines for everything, bad service, and being stuck with tablemates who are incompatible. Frankly, we've heard that service on the Vista ships isn't as good in 2005 as the 2002 service was on the Rotterdam.

Just a thought ... if fixed time dining is a problem, maybe use a combination of the Lido's dinnertime tableside service and the Pinnacle Grill? Just a thought ...

Also, you never have to get "stuck" with incompatible tablemates. If you find on the first evening that you do not wish to dine all week with the group you have been seated with, simply take the matter up with the matre 'd ... he can readily have you moved to another table. He gets those kinds of requests all the time, so it's no "biggie."

Personally, I agree with some other folks on this board. I, too, do not particularly care for the larger ships that carry 2000 or so passengers. While the space ratio ... the amount of public space available per passenger ... may sometimes actually be greater than that on the smaller ships carrying less people, the fact of the matter is that these ships are longer and thus involve a lot more walking to get from point A to point B. Also, popular areas (such as the Lido at breakfast time) are gonna be more crowded. There's no way to avoid it.

The Noordam will be a Vista class ship, so it's gonna be large. But, I guess if you wish to sail out of New York, it's the only HAL option you have.

But, as I said before ... I'd give it a try. See what you think. At least then you'll know what to do in future years.

Blue skies ...

--rita

VERY strong chance that an elevan day cruise two days after Thanksgiving will have very few (if any) children aboard. At least, any school age children. Might be a child or two younger than school age.

Only kids you're likely to get on that one are maybe a handful of home schoolers, and the rest pre-schoolers. That's the beauty of cruises longer than seven days. Parents can't readily pull their kids out of school for sailings of that long. On the seven-dayers, many parents wouldn't hesitate ... and, in fact, many school districts permit vacations of no greater than five days as "excused absences" for the kids.

That's why on the seven-day cruises, it's very, very hard to judge how many kids will be onboard. In fact, I was shocked to read another thread on CC awhile back about all the rowdy kids that were on a seven-day sailing that took place at a time that school would have obviously been in session. I think there were something like 300+ kids on that sailing.

The other problem with seven-dayers is that they are the first sailings that will get cancelled due to a charter.

Nope, I'll take the longer sailings ... at times when the kids are happily engaged in their school activities. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

LOL, Blackbird's rule of thumb, is when I win the lotto :p, I will be doing a World Cruise, and if it is on HAL I would get a table for two, or if Radisson normally "join a group" . :) I have worried about getting table mates that I am not happy with on a very long cruise on HAL. LOL you can get them on Radisson but not every night.

I have been on both Radisson and HAL. Our first cruise on the Radisson Diamond was absolutely marvelous, our second less so. There was a distinct drop in the amount of pampering.

Since then we have been on Princess and on HAL. On our last cruise on HAL, on the Westerdam, we booked an S aft suite. We felt entirely pampered on that cruise. S suite passengers have the use of the Neptune Lounge, which serves a continental breakfast, a light lunch and hors d'oeuvres before dinner. There is a concierge who takes care of all of your reservations and all of your cabin needs. You get free laundry and dry cleaning and pressing. We had a lovely huge balcony on that trip and enjoyed ourselves so much that we booked the same

ship (but another, slightly larger aft suite) for this December. If you choose to travel when others do not, there are wonderful bargains to be had and you can have relative luxury at a good price.

I think that dollar for dollar, we get a better value on HAL.

Roberta

I have sailed on HAL both in a mini suite and full S class suite. I also sailed on the Radisson Navigator last August. In my experience in order to get the level of pampering you are accustomed to on the Raddison Navigator you need to move up to an S Suite.

If you do that you will cut down on the need to do things like stand in lines because you will be entitled to use of the Neptune Lounge and concierge who will provide all the services of the Front Desk (purser, etc) and Shore Excursion Desk) You will also have more personalised service.

When you add in things like laundry, dry cleaning and pressing included in the price of the suite and the mini meals and snacks provided in the Neptune Lounge plus the very personalised service you will actually feel more pampered in a HAL suite than you did on a Raddison ship.

It is very difficult to beat HAL when it comes to Suite Life pampering. Add value for money and it is probably impossible.

I strongly suggest you upgrade. It is an entirely different experience.

Linda

JoanandJoe,

I hope you get the S suite. It is SUCH a lovely experience. We loved it. Now I am totally spoiled. We have four cruises booked (two on HAL and two on Princess) and we are going to be in a suite each time. Our Princess cruises will be a new experience for us. Previously, on Princess, we have been in mini-suites (and before that, balcony rooms). We got hooked on the mini-suites on the Sun Class ships. They are two separate rooms which means that DH can sleep while I read in the other room. Our February cruise is going to be in an aft suite on the Sun Princess, for which we are paying the same price we paid for a mini-suite two years ago in January. The difference is a discount agency.

I'll get a good chance to compare the two lines head to head. Last February we were on a Carnival cruise and while we had a terrific time because we were with my family, it really was not my cup of tea.

I must admit, the New York itinerary for the Noordam is very tempting. But we already have enough cruises booked. Besides which, we promised our grandson that we would take the whole family on a cruise if he made the honor roll for a full year, and we have to leave room for that cruise. (if he produces).

Roberta

We've put in for an upgrade from SY to SA. Our TA believes we have it, but she hadn't yet received a confirmation by the close of business on Friday. Assuming we get the room, we'll try the Noordam.

Joanandjoe

I know you will not regret the upgrade. Have a wonderful cruise.

Linda

We've sailed on the Rotterdam, 1,300 pax The Prinsendam, 750 pax [3 times] and The Westerdam. 1,900 pax, as well as Radisson "Mariner at 750 pax The only time that we noticed the # of pax being a problem was on tender port days on the Westerdam. There were long lines waiting to catch the tenders to reboard the ship. Obviously, it is the more pax, the bigger the ship. On the Vista class ships, we didn't feel crowded. This class tho does make for alot more walking from one part of the ship to another. The shopping offers alot more on the Vista class. Bottom line for us, we don't notice there being an overwhelming # of passengers while on board - only when forced to use tenders during port excursions does the # of pax become iffy.

Kay Stroud

I've recently (08/05) sailed on the Nav. of the Seas to Bermuda and just got off the Zuiderdam (10/06). First, let me say I was extremely disappointed with Radisson Cruises. We had a Balcony Suite that was really showing it's age and overall I felt the ship needed to go into drydock. With the exception of dinners (Radisson does a great job w/dinner) I prefer HALs breakfasts & lunches.

There is no comparison for the overall ride and comfort we always experience on all HAL ships. We have sailed on most from the Prinsindam to all 3 Vista class ships and I have never ever gotten seasick. The overall experience on the Nav. was horrendous. People couldn't make it to dinner on at least 3 nts. and in talking with the gift shop manager she told me that her business is really down due to shop only open when at sea, and people just didn't feel comfortable walking too far on this ship without getting sick.

The Nav. suites w/bal are a little larger than HAL mini suites.

We rec'd 2 liters of Absolut Vodka in our room (vy nice touch) and you could order cocktails or have pretty good wines with dinner. However, for almost double the price of a HAL full Suite we extimate those 2 liters and wine w/dinner would have cost us about $350 for the 7 nts.

If you compare the Prins. to the Nav. (pretty close in size) I much preferred our cruise on the Prins. to this cruise. Would I sail on Radisson again? Maybe if they can improve their stabilizers and improve their prices. Give me a 500sq ft Suite on HAL anyday.

Archived