Bed Pillows Cleaned or Replaced?

Canadianguy

Does anyone know how frequently the pillows on the cabin beds are cleaned or replaced? I read an article about hotel pillows having dust mites and other issues if they are not deep cleaned or replaced frequently. Had me wondering if we should bring our own pillows on our next cruise.

A cruise a week 52 weeks 2 people average a room 104 people on the pillow, adds up t o being very expensive in replacement if you think they will change out the pillow each week?

When you check out the pillows only get a sheet change, how often, hardly seen then change out.

Bed bugs are also a thing you need to worry, so will you bring a Cot along for your trip, or just some spray and a Plastic sheets. a lot lighter.

Chances of catching a cold is better than catching bugs

Does anyone know how frequently the pillows on the cabin beds are cleaned or replaced? I read an article about hotel pillows having dust mites and other issues if they are not deep cleaned or replaced frequently. Had me wondering if we should bring our own pillows on our next cruise.

While traveling I sometimes place a fresh bath towel over the pillow overnight. I bet online there are pillow protective covers to take on trips.

When you meet your cabin steward, ask about fresh pillow cases but they are not likely authorized about the pillow life cycle schedule itself. Good Luck

rarely. maybe doing short dry docks or a deep clean post Noro they would swap out and clean them. but they certainly do not have the inventory to do this on all cabins every week.

And if you ask for new ones, all you will get is the inventory that has been sitting on a shelf, unprotected/uncovered.

if mites are a deal breaker, bring your own. at least then the mites will be family.

Edited by spookwife

If nervous about this, I would suggest bringing some pillow protectors with you. It is like a pillowcase with a zipper and prevents mites and anything else from getting on to you. This would be a lot easier than bringing pillows.

Also, it would not hurt to ask for brand new pillows upon your arrival. I don't see why they would not oblige.

New pillows? Seriously?

The stewards are happy to provide more pillows and or another type of pillow on request and all of them will have fresh cases. With the temperature of the laundry on X nothing could live. LOL.

As to how often they are replaced am sure only the head of housekeeping would know. but are you more likely to have an issue with a once used pillow or one a year old? How about the bed?

[quote name=

if mites are a deal breaker, bring your own. at least then the mites will be family.[/quote]

EXACTLY! I always take my own pillow along with my own mites. I don't want to lay my head on someone else's drool. It's down and rolls flat and fluffs back in shape. It's also more comfortable than any ship/hotel pillow.

My guess is that they would not be able to oblige since they don't carry that sort of inventory on board.

I am severely allergic to dust mites. I have asked and received brand new pillows on past X cruises. They have them. Just need to ask. The also have brand new towels. Just need to ask.

I am severely allergic to dust mites. I have asked and received brand new pillows on past X cruises. They have them. Just need to ask. The also have brand new towels. Just need to ask.

Simply take a pillow protector. Put it over the pillow. The case has been steam cleaned so no issue there. But . . . . As to dust mites what about the bedding? Isn't that a far worse problem?

New towels - unless they were washed what could be on them from Sri Lanka, Pakistan or? Most towels say to wash before using. Again the laundry system on X is steam. They can turn a men's XL cotton shirt into a faded Medium!

Edited by az_tchr

Does anyone know how frequently the pillows on the cabin beds are cleaned or replaced? I read an article about hotel pillows having dust mites and other issues if they are not deep cleaned or replaced frequently.

Are you saying that there might be mites? :eek:

Simply take a pillow protector. Put it over the pillow. The case has been steam cleaned so no issue there. But . . . . As to dust mites what about the bedding? Isn't that a far worse problem?

New towels - unless they were washed what could be on them from Sri Lanka, Pakistan or? Most towels say to wash before using. Again the laundry system on X is steam. They can turn a men's XL cotton shirt into a faded Medium!

I suggested a pillow protector.

I sleep with the sheets that have been washed and dried with heat. So, no problem there. I dont use the comforter, but a cotton blanket.

As for towels - the new towels I have rec'd have been washed. I have only requested this once when the towels in the cabin had holes and were not the ones that are to be in suites. Had nothing to do with dust mites.

Are you saying that there might be mites? :eek:

Of course there are dust mites. They are everywhere humans inhabit. They get washed out of the sheets but are in the mattress (and pillows) most likely. They, by themselves, are harmless. However they consume dead skin cells. You lose 1M per day. The stuff they save behind can cause allergies and other respiratory problems for those who are sensitive.

For those with issues a pillow protector is best. They are not very expensive. I recommend those from Protect-a-Bed

This is great to know. I have allergies too and will be asking for dishes that have never been eaten off of, glasses that have never been drank from, chairs that have never been sat it, napkins that have never been used and best of all a cabin that has never been slept in by anyone else. Its good to know they will accommodate my severe allergies with brand new unused items!

This is great to know. I have allergies too and will be asking for dishes that have never been eaten off of, glasses that have never been drank from, chairs that have never been sat it, napkins that have never been used and best of all a cabin that has never been slept in by anyone else. Its good to know they will accommodate my severe allergies with brand new unused items!

Wow. So mean and sarcastic?!?

I'm sure the replacements were not new but newly cleaned. A great way to minimize the problem at home is to put a pillow in a plastic bag then insert your vacuum hose and seal the opening. The vacuum will take all the air out of the bag and pillow and remove much of the dead skin and dust mite by product.

Also, it would not hurt to ask for brand new pillows upon your arrival. I don't see why they would not oblige.

they won't (Can't) oblige because there will not BE any new, unused pillows on board at all. only during a major dry dock that includes new linens would that happen.

they won't (Can't) oblige because there will not BE any new, unused pillows on board at all. only during a major dry dock that includes new linens would that happen.

sorry but you are wrong. i have seen with my own eyes the steward take new pillows out of plastic.

Don't forget the carpet and drapes. :)

It glad to know that a Steward has new pillows?

But I an not rude like many here., I would love to learn how a person is Alergic to dust mites? Intereting , never knew, thank you?

So let me ask a Stupid question here since we got Sarcastic people here. Should I take a Hot shower and increase the bacteria?

Sunday comics are in. don't need the real one's, yes ido, the people here got not a better thing to do but bust balls Ejoy your cruise, and you be laughing at the group here since they won't be on their's

The, well most, room stewards are trained to check for slobber or drooled on pillows, and replace them as needed. I do know if they see a tiny drop of blood, anywhere on the bedding, they will replace the sheets pillow cases immediately.

I am not glad I read all this, but read it just the same.

Initially I thought of all the extra pillows that are on the bed. I always just throw them on the couch and then find them again on the bed. Well I think I will hide them this time, maybe where they keep the life jackets. Then I saw that it is the main pillows that the poster is talking about.

I always ask for feather pillows hoping that many are allergic to them and they are never used. No chance of that eh?