Newbie Cruiser trying to compare NCL with RCCL

katmu

My friend and I were about set to book a cruise on RCCL on the Oasis of the Seas when another friend suggested we look at NCL. I understand that some people feel that NCL sort of "nickel and dimes" passengers but after looking at the ships and what they offer I'm still feeling like NCL might be a better fit for us. We are looking at cruising on either the Escape out of Miami or the Epic out of Port Canaveral on December 10th to the Eastern Caribbean. The cruise on Oasis would be a similar itinerary in January.

About us-

Mid-40s.

Not traveling with any kids this trip.

looking for beaches, good dining options and some nightlife.

looking at most likely a balcony cabin.

I'm into fitness so I would want to get some workouts in but probably not the climbing wall, ropes course type.

I was looking at booking with the drinks package with NCL which still puts our total price less than RCCL by a fair margin so I'm thinking this would cover if we want to order room service a few times, maybe do the specialty dining package, etc. We like the idea of freestyle dining and all of the food and nightlife options on the NCL ships appealed to us more than the options on Oasis.

I've only taken one cruise before and my friend has never sailed on either RCCL or NCL so anyone who can compare the two for me would be very helpful. Am I missing something? RCCL seems to have a better reputation at least on CC than NCL and I'm not quite understanding why.

...... RCCL seems to have a better reputation at least on CC than NCL and I'm not quite understanding why.

Not sure that's really true - every cruise line has people who like it, and others who prefer another line.

As for comparisons: IMO, it's really comparing apples and apples. All the major cruise lines provide basically the same product, and pricing doesn't really vary all that much. What one cruise line includes, another will charge for, but the first line will make it up somewhere else.

I think it comes down to whether you like bigger ships or smaller ones (bigger ones having more add-ons like rock climbing walls or zip lines), and whether you prefer assigned dining or do-your-own thing dining, and whether or not you're booking into a suite. Once you get into the suites, the amenities offered by different lines do begin to vary some.

Edited by VideoTech

Not sure that's really true - every cruise line has people who like it, and others who prefer another line.

As for comparisons: IMO, it's really comparing apples and apples. All the major cruise lines provide basically the same product, and pricing doesn't really vary all that much. What one cruise line includes, another will charge for, but the first line will make it up somewhere else.

I think it comes down to whether you like bigger ships or smaller ones (bigger ones having more add-ons like rock climbing walls or zip lines), and whether you prefer assigned dining or do-your-own thing dining, and whether or not you're booking into a suite. Once you get into the suites, the amenities offered by different lines do begin to vary some.

I think my impression came mostly from some old threads I read. I also thought that the Escape looks like a very nice ship and the rating on CC seems a little low to me, not sure if that could be that it's still new and maybe working out a few kinks.

We liked the look of NCL because of all the dining and nightlife options. The flowerider and zipline on RC weren't something we were interested in, although we might try the waterslides if the ship had those. I would like a nice fitness center and the spa/themal suite area sounds really nice. I'm thinking those facilities would generally be nicer on the newer ships?

I've only done one previous cruise and it was one of of Carnival's bigger ship, plus it was Spring Break week so absolutely to capacity with lots of kids.

We were looking at balcony or mini-suite size cabins. I doubt that we would go with the full suites unless we found a really good deal.

And sauerkraut thank you for the links to the other threads. Those were helpful.

When it comes to trashy "tats" I have to give a hand down for Carnival with double kukos to the females out of new jersey. Every "tat" has a backstory and I want to hear them all. I have a strong stomach and like the old National Enquirer, "inquiring minds want to know."

O.P mentions NCL's supposed reputation for nickle & diming. I have never paid extra for anything I didn't want

That's the thing that makes the least sense to me so far. From what I can tell the other major lines charge for a lot of the same things-- specialty dining, drinks including soda, internet service, etc. so I'm not seeing how NCL is really any different.

And as long as I know what things are included and what things are extra upfront, I'm ok with the NCL model as then we can choose to pay for the things that are important to us if we want to.

Edited by katmu