Why is everyone so unhappy?

mepamgo

Yes the cracked tiles can be overlooked & the meal that might not be cooked to you liking or no towels or chairs available at the pool but there are some major items can make for a miserable trip real quick.

Yes, there are some issues that can make folks miserable. Pretty much, everything here is about opinions and perspective. It's about what people expect out of the cruise experience.

Some folks come on here and say "The food was bad in the Windjammer." Well, does that mean "bad" as in "spoiled" or "not to my liking?" One of those I would take quite seriously, the other- not so much.

For every person whose cruise is "ruined" because someone slipped into the dining room with a collared golf shirt instead of a tie, there is someone else whose cruise is "ruined" because there is a suggested theme of dress in certain areas of the ship. It's their vacation, they should be able to do whatever they please since they paid so much money (the excuse both sides seem to always offer.)

My definition of a "major" problem on a cruise? Some of them are not the fault of the cruiseline.

*If I get sick/injured enough to be confined to my cabin or evacuated from the ship.

* No running water.

* The ship starts to sink.

* A hurricane comes "unexpectedly." - If you are cruising almost any time between June and November- it is a risk of cruising and usually there is a fair amount of warning. If you know something is coming your way and you elect to board the ship and take your chances- just know you MIGHT be in for some rough weather.

* If the crew is exceptionally awful- like they curse at you or throw things at you.

* Somehow another passenger's charges get charged to onboard account. -- Easy enough to remedy- monitor your onboard account and go to guest services immediately if you note a problem.

Mostly, I am good to go with the flow. There might be things that are "disappointing" that might make it less than "perfect" but not enough to ruin my cruise. There are differences between ships, itineraries, lines. I have cruised on a couple of different lines and I have pointed out differences and where I think one line does something better than the other. I am not complaining about either- just making a comparison.

People do get awfully bent out of shape over small things. I agree. But remember that what is small to you may be a big deal to the next person. Being seated in a particular place in the dining room may be difficult with small children or someone in a wheelchair. I don't care if the vegetarian options aren't great because I am not vegetarian, but someone else may be.

We are going on Oasis in March. There are people who might complain that there are "too many people" or "things are crowded." Well, the capacity is over 5,000 and it is a spring break week. Of course things will be crowded.

Whenever you deal with hundreds/thousands of people, you will get massive variety of personalities.

For those that are go with the flow, easy to roll things off their backs, great.

For those who are more anxious or high strung, it is who they are.

For those who are always complaining about something, avoid them if you wish.

I'd hate if we all felt the same way about the same things. We all react from our personality that has been formed through so many life events.

I don't think being harder/easier to please is something we should be criticizing about others. Be who you are and let others be who they are. You cannot know what it is they contribute about which you have no knowledge. Perhaps the big blow mouth loud guy complaining in the buffet is the same guy that just funded a cancer wing of a hospital. He has that kind of money from who know where but it might be that strong personality that made it possible.

Oh joy! We have a cruise critic whistleblower

I hope that was a joke. :confused:

The OP stated that they thought their previous post had disappeared -- apparently forgot where they posted it. Karen (LangleyCruisers) simply found it for them -- and provided a link. This is a very big forum, but there are lots of helpful people who post here. Please do not jump to conclusions. :rolleyes:

Interesting the direction this thread has gone. I come to CC for information that will help in planning my cruises, for entertainment, and to talk with people who love cruising as much as I do. I've never had a bad cruise--not even the cruise where I sprained my ankle on day 2 when the ship listed and I fell down a few stairs. Ended up on crutches. It wasn't the vacation I was planning and I didn't get to do some of the things I was looking forward to, but it was still a great time spent with my family on a beautiful ship visiting places that were gorgeous.

I like to read reviews where people had a great time and I feel for the writer when I read about things that have gone wrong on their cruises and they're unhappy. But, I think what the OP is talking about is those who complain about every single thing and proclaim their cruise was absolutely ruined over something that on the surface appears to be quite minor to me (I'll say "to me" so I don't generalize or assume how others feel). It's not helpful to me to read a review where the writer is so negative because I assume that's just the way they view life in general and they typically lose credibility with me.

We were on a cruise a couple years ago and when we got to the meet and greet and were introducing ourselves, one of the roll call members commented very loudly when I said my user name, "You need to get a life!" I assume that was in reference to how active I was on the roll call. I thought maybe he didn't realize how harsh he sounded and chose to ignore the comment. Well, a while later, we ended up standing next to each other in a line and he starting talking about my camera and how stupid it was and who'd buy such a stupid camera? And then he proceeded to loudly complain about standing in line and what a waste of his time it was. This is the type of person I would choose to not have in my life. But, on a public forum, you can't avoid them. I think sometimes they really don't realize how they come across and often times they don't care. I'm just always amazed when someone can go on a cruise and complain about everything. Maybe it's not the standard they're used to and maybe it really is horrible for them. It's just surprising to me. I'm no Pollyanna, but I do tend to make the best of a situation.

Just my 2 cents. :o

I hope that was a joke. :confused:

The OP stated that they thought their previous post had disappeared -- apparently forgot where they posted it. Karen (LangleyCruisers) simply found it for them -- and provided a link. This is a very big forum, but there are lots of helpful people who post here. Please do not jump to conclusions. :rolleyes:

Also, the link the PP provided has a later time stamp than this one. Weird if it actually was a previous post...

Like you, I thought the PP was just trying to be helpful.

Sail7seas. This is true. But.. Anyone who expects that the brochures will be exactly the same as their experience is doomed for trouble. This is one of the problems of our current culture. People expect that the brochures will show the same thing they are expecting. In what world it that releaistic?

So let me get this strait, we are supposed to "not" expect what the cruise line advertises us to expect and then be happy about it? Hmm. :rolleyes:

Ironically the only way for folks to expect the reality of a cruise ship experience is to review previous cruisers experiences of the ships. That is the whole point of Cruise Critic.

The complainers in these negative threads complaining about negative threads are depressing, I'm moving on to something happier. :cool:

Burt

We were on a cruise a couple years ago and when we got to the meet and greet and were introducing ourselves, one of the roll call members commented very loudly when I said my user name, "You need to get a life!" I assume that was in reference to how active I was on the roll call. I thought maybe he didn't realize how harsh he sounded and chose to ignore the comment. Well, a while later, we ended up standing next to each other in a line and he starting talking about my camera and how stupid it was and who'd buy such a stupid camera? And then he proceeded to loudly complain about standing in line and what a waste of his time it was. This is the type of person I would choose to not have in my life.

WOW --- That's one person I would have gone out of my way to avoid, for the rest of the cruise. What a jerk! :eek:

PS -- LOVE your Francis Drake quote. :cool: My other favorite, of all of the signature lines I've seen, goes something like: I cruise, because that's where the ocean is!

WOW --- That's one person I would have gone out of my way to avoid, for the rest of the cruise. What a jerk! :eek:

PS -- LOVE your Francis Drake quote. :cool: My other favorite, of all of the signature lines I've seen, goes something like: I cruise, because that's where the ocean is!

I did! I was SO happy he hadn't signed up for any of the group tours I was on. there was no indication on the roll call thread that he was such a sour puss. Ugh.

I've seen that quote, too, and appreciate it. :) I'm always taken aback when I mention to someone I love to cruise and they say something about how crazy they'd go being on a boat in the ocean for a week. LOL.

I'm always taken aback when I mention to someone I love to cruise and they say something about how crazy they'd go being on a boat in the ocean for a week. LOL.

LOL -- I only go crazy on the last day, when I realize that I have to pack up and go home! ;)

So let me get this strait, we are supposed to "not" expect what the cruise line advertises us to expect and then be happy about it? Hmm. :rolleyes:

Ironically the only way for folks to expect the reality of a cruise ship experience is to review previous cruisers experiences of the ships. That is the whole point of Cruise Critic.

The complainers in these negative threads complaining about negative threads are depressing, I'm moving on to something happier. :cool:

Burt

Here You Go...;)

We have sailed on Princess exclusively and we have enjoyed every cruise.

The worst cruise was a super bowl cruise was was the back end of a 2 week B2B. We 1 was beautiful. Week 2 was odd-but that was mostly due to a large group of mostly obnoxious people.

There was one guy who was awful. One night they had open seating so we decided to eat in the traditional dining room for a change. We were seated with this bozo. The funny part is that how table mates were there and they were sitting at other tables. He was confused as to why they weren't at his table....

Fortunately, it was only one dinner.

Otherwise, the cruise was great...Since they were all drunk most of the time, breakfast was a quiet affair. The morning after the big game, we went to breakfast around 8:15 am and the ship was almost deserted. The MDR was a ghost town and we has plenty of attention for breakfast.

Our only concern is our cabin. We expect that the plumbing and air will be functioning properly and that the cabin is in reasonable condition.

Try sailing in a cabin without functioning air conditioning and the most easy going cruiser will get irritable.

Especially when you call them 5 or 6 times & the finally tell you there's nothing more that can be done. :mad:

Yes. And we know of one ship specifically where in one location the carpets always look new'. The crew refer to the section as the 'flood zone' because there are always so many ongoing problems. Simply put ..the plumbing is past it's best before date. Yet the cruise line continues to knowingly sell defective cabins in this area to luckless cruisers.

On that same ship fans are stored on certain decks, in certain areas, because the AC fails in those areas with a certain regularity when the temperature exceeds a certain number. Not good on Panama cruises.

The cheerleaders put it down to balcony doors left open or people who do not know how to use the toilets. The fault lies in very poor maintenance and failure to renew critical systems in dry dock. Cheating the customer.

I have never understood why some people feel the need to make excuses for a cruise line or belittle obvious complaints.

Edited by iancal

I would love to have a family cruise booked right now with my family. DS will be graduating college in April and I would like to book one for May before he moves on with his life. But I can't do any planning until after I have a CT next month and the doctor tells us there is enough healing in my carotid artery for us to book it. I was diagnosed with a dissected carotid artery in August after suffering 2 mini-strokes.

After 13 cruises we have never let the small stuff ruin a cruise for us...including getting a tray full of Bahama Mamas dumped on me by a waiter on our first cruise on the Disney Wonder. Things happen and we roll with it and usually laugh about our experience later. I understand that some people have some legitimate complaints, but many, many more are about small petty things that IMHO are not worth getting worried or upset about, over and over again by the same people. Stuff happens. It is up to each person how they handle it. We choose to "Let it Go" and enjoy our vacation. Right now I just wish I could switch places with anyone complaining about the little things and enjoy their cruise for them:D.

Yes. And we know of one ship specifically where in one location the carpets always look new'. The crew refer to the section as the 'flood zone' because there are always so many ongoing problems. Simply put ..the plumbing is past it's best before date. Yet the cruise line continues to knowingly sell defective cabins in this area to luckless cruisers.

On that same ship fans are stored on certain decks, in certain areas, because the AC fails in those areas with a certain regularity when the temperature exceeds a certain number. Not good on Panama cruises.

The cheerleaders put it down to balcony doors left open or people who do not know how to use the toilets. The fault lies in very poor maintenance and failure to renew critical systems in dry dock. Cheating the customer.

I have never understood why some people feel the need to make excuses for a cruise line or belittle obvious complaints.

Is there any reason not to name the ship (as a service to others)?

Soooo many Americans don't take thier paid time off..... Very sad.

Sometimes you have to leave it all behind.... Crap will still be here when we get home lol!

We are not going to worry about very much while on vacation.....we are there to make memories!

:)

Thank you so much for this post. It is just what I needed to make me think about some things.

For 2015, I had over half of my PTO left at the end of November. With a large project, I worked every day from the Saturday after Thanksgiving until January 9 (except Christmas Eve and Christmas Day)- yes, EVERY day including weekends. We were promised some "comp time" to use at our discretion throughout this year, but they decided not to give it.

I have a cruise coming up in March. My supervisor just informed me that I am to be available by email throughout my vacation and will be expected to respond to all emails I receive EVERY DAY. So now I get to haul my laptop with me, and work.

I am seriously evaluating my options at this point. I have always been one to "leave it all behind" when I cruise. I guess that's out now.

But reading your post- I am really thinking about whether the stress and aggravation is worth it.

I am certain that some people wouldn't be happy if they win lotto. Even the recent near on Billiob dollar jackpot.

It is also, in my opinion, part of what I cal the Me Me Me generation (or times might be a Better word) so many people think the world should revolve around them, thus any little thing not exactly "their way" is distressing because it doesn't matter that the line is trying to please a couple of thousand people, if they like their bacon (or whatever else it is) a certain way.....

Also misery loves company. And the seem to feed off each others complaints.

Surely you see the same thing even when at home.

Sure sometimes things go bad.

................take a good look around the ship next time. There are a lot of fellow passengers one banana peel slip away from the grave and cannot yell at people to "get off my lawn"......and there are those who are just plain miserable about EVERYTHING and ANYTHING. And then there are those "GIMMEE,GIMMMEEE, GIMMMMMEEEEEE" peoples......Just thank the Lord that you are not one of "those"......;)

I think the problem has many causes.

First, most of the regular posters on here cruise a lot. They love cruising and cannot fathom how someone would not basically wet their pants at the possibility of taking a cruise. Without doing extensive research, I would be willing to bet and amount that is significant to me that is not true for the majority of people on a ship at any given time. The more you cruise, the larger your personal sample size gets and many things become less important.

Second, as has been mentioned the cruise lines spend millions each year telling everyone with a television, radio or internet access how wonderful they are, how exceptional the service will be, show images of dinner service that would rival any place with three Michelin Stars, etc. Face it, I have dined at several of those places on land and NOTHING I have encountered on a ship even comes close. So the company has, to a degree, set themselves up to "fail".

Additionally, many people on that ship may have had to save for two years (or more) to cover the cost of their vacation. Those are very precious dollars (pounds, euros, whatever) and they do not want to feel as if they have wasted them. They see the advertising and read glowing reviews and build an expectation. When things start falling short of a probably overly ideal image, they start getting upset.

Lastly, when an experienced cruiser encounters one of these people on the ship they have no clue what that person has been going through. They may walk up to the customer service desk and hear them getting very upset and jump to a conclusion. What they may not know is that is the third time that person has been down there for the same issue. A prime example, on our last cruise we purchased an excursion though the line. When we didn't get our tickets we asked...reservation had been messed up, they will fix it and we should come back that afternoon. We come back and speak to the SAME PERSON and they look at us like we are from Mars. No clue what was happening...so they bang on the keyboard for about 30 minutes and proudly announce they have credited our onboard account for the first charge and created new reservations on the excursion we wanted. Our tickets and receipt would be delivered no later than the next morning (I thought enough to write down the name of the person helping us). You guessed it, nothing...so we go back down and guess who is there to help us? She looks in the "system" and there is nothing showing as an excursion but there is a charge for the excursion on our account. Now I am much more angry that I am getting the run-around than I am over the original error. Before you ask...yes, I was difficult and terse. And remember, passengers are human...if one had been dealing with the same issue for days and getting nowhere, the next crew member they encounter that falls even a little short may just be in the wrong place at the wrong time. That isn't fair...but life's not fair.

Lastly, the crew is also human. They may be having a bad day (or week). When a crew member having a bad day encounters the passenger above...well, you can probably guess the way things are going to be reflected in the review.

I am always surprised at the number of people who go after the person giving the review and basically saying they are completely wrong because either they have never had that problem or they were on the same cruise. Never mind that the review may be written by someone in an inside cabin on the bottom deck who had to deal with a lot of issues and the attacker was in a Grand Suite and Diamond+...that is irrelevant.

................take a good look around the ship next time. There are a lot of fellow passengers one banana peel slip away from the grave and cannot yell at people to "get off my lawn"......and there are those who are just plain miserable about EVERYTHING and ANYTHING. And then there are those "GIMMEE,GIMMMEEE, GIMMMMMEEEEEE" peoples......Just thank the Lord that you are not one of "those"......;)

Yah, they have a real nerve living long enough to get old. :rolleyes: How dare they?! ;)