AmaWaterways 2017 Sailings

doktor

We're planning to use FF miles for the flights. AMA quotes for discounted flight tickets seem to work best for coach. With one of us being tall, we try to avoid coach for longer international flights - if we can.

Bob

I was very curious as I was originally going to book air, but the price, I thought, was high, and they want an additional deposit which was nonrefundable.

Hi all,

We are booked for AMA Certo, 30 Nov 2016 - Christmas on the Rheine.

Looking forward.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

I visited Ama webpage and saw they're offering 40%off plus free pre-paid gratuities on select sailings.

Very happy. My TA is able to switch our booking so now we will be on AMAPrima 28 Nov 2016. Exactly the same itinerary, only a couple of days earlier and a few hundreds dollar saving..... wonderful!

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
What is the usual dress for dinner?

Many, many threads here on this very subject.

Some dress up a bit for dinner (including DH and I), others stay in their daytime clothes and then some are in the middle.

A VERY small minority IME wear sportcoats and I can count the ties I have seen over 11 cruises on two hands.

We are on 11 days Amadante Prague to Budapest. April 16, 2017

We did Amsterdam to Budapest with AMA. My only regret, and my bad, was we did not stay an extra day in Budapest. We had an included excursion with AMA but there is so much more to see and wished we added a day. Otherwise, our AMA experience was perfect! We are booked on their Provence and Spain this year and adding the pre cruise Paris and post cruise Barcelona.

Yes, it is much different on the roll call vs ocean cruising roll calls. However, I did correspond with a great couple from Australia on our prior rivercruise on a roll call. We felt like we knew them all our lives before we met them. So, there is a chance!

I thought , out of the Rhine, Main and Danube we cruised, the Danube is the prettiest and had a lot to offer. Enjoy your cruise! You will surely want to do several more.

We will be taking our 2nd AMA Waterways cruise, Port Wine and Flamenco, along the Douro river, with pre stay in Madrid, post stay in Lisbon, this May. After weighing all cruise options and itineraries, AMA really satisfied all we wanted to experience. Can't wait! We hear the scenery is spectacular along this river and that May is a great time of year to visit.

Edited by nyfeds

This is an email address....did you mean to post a link ?? Thanks.

Sorry, I often get after DH for just this! As soon as I get another email, I will post the web address.

Sandy

We did Amsterdam to Budapest with AMA. My only regret, and my bad, was we did not stay an extra day in Budapest. We had an included excursion with AMA but there is so much more to see and wished we added a day. Otherwise, our AMA experience was perfect! We are booked on their Provence and Spain this year and adding the pre cruise Paris and post cruise Barcelona.

Yes, it is much different on the roll call vs ocean cruising roll calls. However, I did correspond with a great couple from Australia on our prior rivercruise on a roll call. We felt like we knew them all our lives before we met them. So, there is a chance!

I thought , out of the Rhine, Main and Danube we cruised, the Danube is the prettiest and had a lot to offer. Enjoy your cruise! You will surely want to do several more.

I plan on stay an extra day in Budapest. Thanks for the suggestions.

Our 3rd AMA experience will start March 30, 2017 when we board the AMALyra for "Paris & Normandy" plus 2-night Paris extension. April in Paris!:D

In addition to liking AMA's product (obviously), we were attracted by the different offerings for the Normandy Beaches excursions. Also looking forward to Calvados in it's native environment. Perhaps a little Camembert also... ;)

Just booked AmaStella for Christmas Markets on the Danube... embarking Budapest on 12/6/17. This will be our first river cruise, so looking forward to the time going by quickly. It's hard to book that far in advance!

Looking forward to comments from others...

Sounds great. Have you sailed the Danube? If so any info would be welcome d.

We did "The Romantic Danube" on AmaSonata. Prague was new to us and we LOVED it!! Three days only scratched the surface. Our itinerary did not include Nuremberg - lucky you! We added on a couple of nights in Budapest. I was there in the early 80s. To say there have been changes in the intervening decades would be a huge understatement. Again, another city that begs for more time.

Cruising in November in Central Europe can involve challenges (water too high/low; short days; dodgey weather), and we still had a wonderful time. Obviously, we feel the benefits of fewer tourists and cooler weather, coupled with AMA's superb product, overcome the challenges.

We hope you enjoy your first river cruise as much as we did (Rhine & Mosel). It's quite different from big ship cruising. We particularly like the much smaller passenger load that encourages meeting your fellow passengers.

It looks like the weather in mid to late April will be chilly by Florida standards. Should we spend one or two nights extra in Budapest?

Sandy

This is a question only you can really answer, depending on your interests and resources. Personally, I would say yes, and I would take a jacket and/or sweater if concerned about the climate!;)

Perhaps if you looked at some travel guides at your library you could better determine if this is a place you would like to spend extra time.

It looks like the weather in mid to late April will be chilly by Florida standards. Should we spend one or two nights extra in Budapest?

Sandy

A MINIMUM of two nights in Budapest, which is a fascinating, beautiful city. :)

DH and I are seasoned ocean cruisers but complete newbies on river cruising, and have recently booked AmaSerena, December 3, 2017, Christmas Markets on the Danube.

I've learned a lot in the past few weeks here and really excited to keep gleaning from all of the seasoned river cruisers!