AmaWaterways 2017 Sailings

doktor

We will be on the Lyra Paris to Normandy cruise at the end of September, and when I accessed the Special Interest Cruises on the check in page, the only tours listed were for days 4 and 5. Neither was filled. Does anyone know why the tours on days 7 would be missing? Both of those piqued my interest.

Also, as I follow this thread, is it possible that additional tours will be available for sign-up or purchase only upon embarkation? I am trying to plan ahead, but like to know the options from the beginning. It is still almost 3 months away, but it is beginning to feel real. I appreciate all the information people are sharing.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

Our 1st river cruise was last year with AMA...a Bordeaux wine cruise. We only signed up for one Special Interest Tour online. Our TA had told us there would be more info on the tours once we were onboard. On embarkation day in our cabin there was a sheet with all the regular tours and the different special tours we could sign up for. All were no charge except for one which was a full day brandy or cognac tasting tour. The cruise manager had a info session on all the different tours available and we picked out then which ones we wanted to go on even if we had signed up for ones online. As far as I know, everyone got the tours they wanted and it didn't seem to make any difference signing up early for them online. That said, it was our first river cruise and others may have had different experiences but that's what I'm assuming will happen on our cruise this time. The Special Interest Tours don't happen at every port and one of the ones we signed up for online isn't showing up anymore, don't know what happened to it but will find out in August!

I had booked online 2 Limited Edition tours after final payment for my Colors of Provence and took a copy.

On embarkment day, in the cabin there was a list of all the tours to choose from including the Limited Edition tours. The list was to be handed in by the next day. I noticed one of the Limited Edition tours I had picked was not on the list.

I went to guest services and she said I had no tours listed. I went to cruise director, again it showed no tours listed. I showed him my copy to show I had booked online with a confirmation.

It turns out, AMA had cancelled one of the tours and when they did that, they had cancelled the other one, since I had my copy to show I had booked online he added my name for the other tour.

You can only book your everyday tours while onboard, as the cruise director has to know how many tour guides to order. We were able to change a tour to another with no problem.

I enjoyed how AMA has different tour speeds, easy, regular, hike for each of their tours.

Wow, as I'm catching up on the topic of tours, it really seems like experiences are varied. Could depend on time of year I suppose.

I will ask my TA (who happens to be my DH) to contact AMA again and request a list of the additional tours for cost. Since the original call resulted in them telling us to view the list on the website (in a nice way, not snarky), my hopes aren't high for them to provide the full list to include those that cost.

We are 5 months away now, and I'd really like to know what to plan for/budget for.

I think we were on the same cruise as PlanoCruisers (AMA Prima). There were 3 additional cost tours that I was aware of on our sailing. Two of them were the same day....The Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna and the concert later that evening. We went on both. Then there was a bus tour to Salzberg.

Hi Evelyn, We are on that cruise also and have booked the Chocolate tour in Rouen. That takes place in the afternoon and is no additional charge. We also booked the Palais Benedictine a Fecamp tour which no longer was shown when we booked the Chocolate tour. We booked that one early May and is no additional charge. We took the Bordeaux wine cruise with AMA last August and on embarkation then, more details and times where given about the Special Interest Tours. You also had another opportunity to sign up for these tours.

Karen

Karen,

The chocolate tour in Rouen sounds good. My husband's great-grandfather was from Rouen so we are looking forward to visiting the city. I booked us on the Day 7 Passages Couverts tour before I looked up the details for the scheduled tours of Chateau Malmaison or the Artists' Walk tour. Both of those sound better than the Passages Couverts. I am hoping the Passages Couverts will be in addition to the Chateau or Artists' Walk. But, either way, it looks like I will be given the opportunity to cancel and/or sign up for another tour if there is a conflict.

Evelyn

Thanks, LTC, for sharing your experience with tours. It is encouraging that the supply does not exceed the demand. I would really like not to wait until boarding, but I suppose I am just being impatient. This will be our first AMA river cruise, so I don't know exactly what to expect. Last year we took our first river cruise with Tauck on the Danube, which was wonderful, and we have heard so many good things about AMA that we are very excited about this trip too.

Thanks, LTC, for sharing your experience with tours. It is encouraging that the supply does not exceed the demand. I would really like not to wait until boarding, but I suppose I am just being impatient. This will be our first AMA river cruise, so I don't know exactly what to expect. Last year we took our first river cruise with Tauck on the Danube, which was wonderful, and we have heard so many good things about AMA that we are very excited about this trip too.

Good morning, I hope you have a wonderful time. I sailed AMA last year and it was fantastic:D....it was my first

River Cruise. What can you expect? Well, from my experience, great food, excellent service, friendly and cordial

staff/crew, wonderful excursions, overall a totally awesome cruise:)

Wow, as I'm catching up on the topic of tours, it really seems like experiences are varied. Could depend on time of year I suppose.

I will ask my TA (who happens to be my DH) to contact AMA again and request a list of the additional tours for cost. Since the original call resulted in them telling us to view the list on the website (in a nice way, not snarky), my hopes aren't high for them to provide the full list to include those that cost.

We are 5 months away now, and I'd really like to know what to plan for/budget for.

Once you are paid in full you can sign up. Go to the online "preparing for your cruise" pamphlet. On page 34 you see the link for special excusions. Click the link and it will show the list. Just click on what you would like.

Once you are paid in full you can sign up. Go to the online "preparing for your cruise" pamphlet. On page 34 you see the link for special excusions. Click the link and it will show the list. Just click on what you would like.

This will be our plan. :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
Can anyone tell me what type of internet connectivity is available on AMA ships? I understand we'll have a connection in our cabin, but what exactly is it? Use of a laptop? Are we able to navigate the web and check email? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

On our recent cruise in September on the AmaLyra, there was an Apple monitor (iMac?) and keyboard. You can do whatever you want. Wifi was available throughout the ship. However, I did not get a chance to try it on the sun deck, as it was rainy.

On our recent cruise in September on the AmaLyra, there was an Apple monitor (iMac?) and keyboard. You can do whatever you want. Wifi was available throughout the ship. However, I did not get a chance to try it on the sun deck, as it was rainy.
Thanks for the info! We're not Apple people, but hopefully we'll figure it out. :)

Thanks for the info! We're not Apple people, but hopefully we'll figure it out. :)

On the Apple platform Safari is the web browser (equivalent of Internet Explorer). From there, you can go to any web/e-mail site you might want.

Sent from my iPad using Forums