New To NCL

dolphins76

Yes it is an extra cost.....prepare for everything to be an extra cost. We just sailed on the Escape for our first time on NCL and we probably will not cruise with NCL. It just wasn't up to par with other lines to us. But who knows you might love it!

This will be our first NCL cruise and it will be on the GEM. I saw they have sushi...is that at an extra cost?

The sushi bar is a la carte. They have sushi sometimes at the buffet in the afternoon and there's no charge for that.

Yes it is an extra cost.....prepare for everything to be an extra cost. We just sailed on the Escape for our first time on NCL and we probably will not cruise with NCL. It just wasn't up to par with other lines to us. But who knows you might love it!

Wow. That's extremely pessimistic.

To answer the OP, yes, sushi is an extra charge.

The 2 MDRs, the buffet, the poolside grill, O'Sheehans (24 hour "comfort food") and the chinese restaurant are included. Continental breakfast is complimentary from I think 6 - 10 AM, but hot food incurs a service charge.

Specialty restaurants are included in the SDP package, but if you do not have that, some are a set upcharge and some are a la carte.

here is a very hard to read list, I think it is up to date

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/DiningGuide_042115.pdf

It is entirely possible (and easy) to not use any services that require extra money on NCL.

Wow. That's extremely pessimistic.

To answer the OP, yes, sushi is an extra charge.

The 2 MDRs, the buffet, the poolside grill, O'Sheehans (24 hour "comfort food") and the chinese restaurant are included. Continental breakfast is complimentary from I think 6 - 10 AM, but hot food incurs a service charge.

Specialty restaurants are included in the SDP package, but if you do not have that, some are a set upcharge and some are a la carte.

It is entirely possible (and easy) to not use any services that require extra money on NCL.

Reading over at the RCCL threads.. people are having the same issue with "charging for everything".. seems to be a fairly normal trend for the mega ships. Charging for room service.. and specialty restaurants.

Not sure why everyone thinks its only happening on NCL.. or RCCL for that matter. These companies are creating premium options.. but in turn... creating more problems for themselves. :rolleyes:

As even the filename says, that version is from last April and there have been quite a few changes since then so that document is already outdated.

They already had a newer version published in October (the official link http://www.ncl.com/diningguide always redirects to the latest version of that document) but they have screwed that up and the link now returns "not found" error - I've sent few emails to NCL's webmaster but they have not reacted in any way.

By the way, the appetizers in the Chinese restaurant are very good. Not overly crazy about the entrees. We do stop in for just the appetizers.

I am booked for the 4th time on the Gem. There is much more good than bad in my opinion. If I wanted everything included I would be paying top dollar on a luxury line. I am very happy with the way it is.

Enjoy your cruise! Don't listen to the downers.

Reading over at the RCCL threads.. people are having the same issue with "charging for everything".. seems to be a fairly normal trend for the mega ships. Charging for room service.. and specialty restaurants.

Not sure why everyone thinks its only happening on NCL.. or RCCL for that matter. These companies are creating premium options.. but in turn... creating more problems for themselves. :rolleyes:

Nope. Some of us like the options.