Peanut Allergy????

Snowbaby369

A couple of weeks ago we were flying out of Toronto on West Jet. We had just taken off when a flight attendant came to us and informed us that someone in our vicinity had a severe peanut allergy, and to please refrain from peanuts. There was then a general announcement to everyone. I had a snickers bar, and some nuts that I had planned on snacking on. So I went the next three hours with nothing. It turns out it was a lady in front of us. She was going on a 10 day Celebrity cruise. I have never encountered such a broad request. Can anybody tell me how she would manage on a cruise? Reading food labels, there is very little that does not say may have come in contact with peanuts. I understand that people have food allergies, so does this mean that others around must change their eating habits? Would a cruise line remove peanut butter from breakfast?

A couple of weeks ago we were flying out of Toronto on West Jet. We had just taken off when a flight attendant came to us and informed us that someone in our vicinity had a severe peanut allergy, and to please refrain from peanuts. There was then a general announcement to everyone. I had a snickers bar, and some nuts that I had planned on snacking on. So I went the next three hours with nothing. It turns out it was a lady in front of us. She was going on a 10 day Celebrity cruise. I have never encountered such a broad request. Can anybody tell me how she would manage on a cruise? Reading food labels, there is very little that does not say may have come in contact with peanuts. I understand that people have food allergies, so does this mean that others around must change their eating habits? Would a cruise line remove peanut butter from breakfast?

The same as anyone with an allergy that cruises.

Putting aside any frustration I may have had, I am just very curious how someone with such a severe allergy copes on a cruise. It's one thing for her to not eat nuts herself, but how does a person with severe allergy that cannot come into contact manage in a setting such as a cruise?

For example in small settings, such as classrooms, peanuts and such products are not allowed in.

I do understand your question. Severe allergies are life threatening and I would not want to be responsible for it. I have a friend with severe reactions to celery. I know what it takes to avoid any contamination. Having a drop of celery juice on a knife, plate or anything else can be enough to send him into shock.

But, how can any one on a cruise ship guarantee there will be no cross contamination?

I'm very eager to hear that answer as well.

If you inform the ship ahead of your cruise, they will make your food separately from anything that might contain whatever your allergen is....All cruise lines have a "Special Needs" dept...

Personally, I don't see how anyone eating their Snickers bar and not coming into contact with the allergic person could cause any harm, unless you were to drop the candy in her lap!

Edited by cb at sea

CB - people with severe allergies to peanuts can react to peanut through the air.... Not just touch. It is a very scary thing and certainly can be life threatening. Children have peanut allergies the most. Not eating peanuts on a plane could save a child's life...really.

Besides, on a cruise ship a person can get up and move to a different area - not so on an airplane or some other confined space. And it really is confining, whereas a cruise ship is not, in my opinion.

OP Snowbaby369, if you and/or your family do not have life-threatening allergies, it is understandable that you would question this and not quite understand. No one wanted to make your life miserable and of course you were frustrated at not being able to eat your snack of choice, but perhaps now you realize that it is very serious to some people and perhaps you (and others reading this) will make other snack choices for air travel in future.

And yes, my son has a peanut (and several other nuts) allergy. :(

Langley- truth. My wife is 52 and just got peanut allergy. She went into anaphylactic shock from eating chili- she ate it before all the time. I made the chili and checked all of the ingredients afterwords and found that none of them said they contain peanuts. It's amazing you can be completely careful and still go through what she did. We have taken two cruises since this allergy-and it takes a lot of careful planning and awareness. We do have 11 hour flight to Europe coming up and it concerns me. When you're on a plane you are trapped and cannot get the medical attention you need. So far she has not been allergic to it airborne-but as we know that could change any time. I am sorry to hear about your son-that must be stressful.

Putting aside any frustration I may have had, I am just very curious how someone with such a severe allergy copes on a cruise. It's one thing for her to not eat nuts herself, but how does a person with severe allergy that cannot come into contact manage in a setting such as a cruise?

For example in small settings, such as classrooms, peanuts and such products are not allowed in.

Hi! I can answer your questions - although I don't think you're asking a question - sounds more like you did not enjoy your flight :-)

Firstly - perfectly understandable that cross-contamination can occur from a mere one row apart - let's say you are allergic to peanuts. The person behind you eats a snicker bar, coughs, touches your seat as he / she gets up to go to the bathroom, doesn't wash his hands, there you go. You've got obvious cross-contamination. So imagine in a plane... Closed quarters and you can't land in a nutshell, no pun intended.

On a cruise ship - simple rules for anyone with allergies. I cruise a lot and I've never had any problem.

1) special needs need to have it on file before you get onboard

2) never eat in the buffet - under any circumstances - I don't even walk through the buffet

3) private table slightly away from other guests in dining rooms

4) usually you have the menu the day ahead and choose ahead of time

5) self-responsibility - you carry your epipens with you at all times, benadryl, prednisone

6) avoid specialty restaurants where known allergens are the speciality

7) have good insurance

I'm guessing you are not acquainted with anyone having serious food allergies.

She would be wise to bring medication, because they mght control it on a plane but no way to control with thousands of people. Funny how years ago every kid took pb sandwiches to school and there were not people dropping left and right. Now you mention sending one in a lunch box and wow watch the fun!

She would be wise to bring medication, because they mght control it on a plane but no way to control with thousands of people. Funny how years ago every kid took pb sandwiches to school and there were not people dropping left and right. Now you mention sending one in a lunch box and wow watch the fun!

Scott6444 you must be of same vintage as me. We raised four kids on everything including PB.

Consider this.......a recovering alcoholic bourds a plane and requests fight attendant that they not serve alcohol because it will cause him great anxiety and it will relapse him to drinking. Where does it end, where does one take responsibility for themselves?

A severe Peanut allergy is very dangerous (it can be fatal). Many years ago when I worked as a Paramedic, there were some cases we encountered that were very difficult to get under control. Folks with that problem will generally meet with senior dining staff on their ship who do have experience with severe food allergies. Anyone with a severe case of this allergy will always carry emergency drugs (i.e. an Epi Pen) but even with the right drugs a reaction can be very dangerous.

Hank

Consider this.......a recovering alcoholic bourds a plane and requests fight attendant that they not serve alcohol because it will cause him great anxiety and it will relapse him to drinking. Where does it end, where does one take responsibility for themselves?

I understand the point you are trying to make but your example is in no way the same as the peanut allergy you started this thread about - absolutely no comparison, IMO.

Scott6444 you must be of same vintage as me. We raised four kids on everything including PB.

What kind of a comparison is that? I also understand the point you are trying to make, but it cannot be compared. Period.

Btw I will admit to the fact that too many people declare themselves allergic to this and that, which complicates things.

But confirmed allergies by allergists are indeed very serious and life threatening. It's not just a case of feeling ill.

To answer your question "where does it end, where does one take responsibility for themselves"... You had the answer when you were on that plane and you were asked to not eat your Snickers bar.

At that precise moment, the woman sitting in front of you was taking responsibility for herself.

Edited by bellevuemountain
Typo

• 1 month later...

I have a son with peanut allergy and your right, when we grew up no one had allergies to food. However, allergies have more than tripled in the last decade and doctors are trying to figure out why. Same with autism, no one had that when we were growing up either. On a plane the air is recycled and the dust is everywhere. Two small children i know found out they were allergic while on a plane. Its definitely not like a restaurant, it is basically an enclosed steel tube with cross contamination everywhere. I personally I don't think they should even serve peanuts on a plane when there are plenty of other options with no risk out there. Please educate yourself before judging. Its not something we would ever wish for our child or anyone else!!!!

THREE ENTIRE HOURS with no snacking????

How did you possibly survive?

I personally I don't think they should even serve peanuts on a plane when there are plenty of other options with no risk out there...

I don't think the airlines even serve peanuts anymore - this was a snack brought on board by a passenger.

THREE ENTIRE HOURS with no snacking???? How did you possibly survive?

Had to get one in there, hey? :( This thread is a chance to educate people and politely explain the reasoning behind potentially life-threatening decisions. Gee.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't think the airlines even serve peanuts anymore - this was a snack brought on board by a passenger.

This is an old thread, but just thought I'd mention that Southwest Airlines still serves peanuts on their flights.

I have a serious allergy to mango, unfortunately. I can't touch them or taste them and I can get sick from cross-contamination. I have to pay careful attention to what I eat and to know what ingredients are in my food. Fish in a tropical sauce? I need to know what the "tropical sauce" is. No eating random, unspecified, risky things.

Fortunately, I've never had a problem with aerosolized food allergy but I have heard of it in relation to peanuts and certain other allergies. It just really depends and the person in question does not have control over the reaction at all.

I never would have considered a cruise before but recently, I have realized that as long as I stay vigilant and do research as well as inform and work with the staff, it can be a good way to travel to regions that might otherwise be difficult for me. It can allow me access to a competent staff that understands food allergy management. It's a real selling point for the idea of cruising for me.

People with allergies still want to enjoy life and experience new things. It's an annoying medical problem but it shouldn't be the end of the world.

You can eat your candy bar tomorrow, but that woman will be dealing with her condition most likely for the rest of her life.