Sandcastle or Rainbow Beach?

tamilyn

Good Morning

We will be arriving on April 13th. We are looking for a nice beach to swim and lay out. I don't mind music and having a bar is ok but bathrooms to change in would be good. We are traveling with 3 kids ( 9, 10, and 7 and four adults) I would love to have calm water to just float in.

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Drake

Thank you for being so informative about your island.

Our cruise arrives in St Croix Feb 13th, 2019.  We are thinking of purchasing the day pass package at Sand Castle by the Sea but are concerned about the noise level from the ongoing renovations.  Just what is being done and are they close to completion?  Are they putting finishing touches or is there actual construction going on? What condition is the pool and surrounding area?

Thank you in advance.

Not sure how much has changed since last year but we had planned in going to Sandcastle but cab station gal talked us into Rainbow.  The beach had deep soft sand that looked like it was trucked in but the water area was extremely rocky.  I would say take beach shoes.  There was plenty of chairs and the bar was nice but had no beach service. 

If i return we we are going to Sandcastle. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/16/2018 at 8:03 AM, drake2014 said:

I'm so sorry I missed this one! After the storms I wasn't around here much so I'm trying to catch up now.

You've probably already been here but I'll answer anyway in case it helps someone.

The best off-the-beaten-path beach in the world is Sandy Point at the southwest tip of the island. There are no amenities there of any kind since it's a wildlife refuge, and it's closed from April-August for turtle nesting season, but if you time it right you may be the only people on 2 miles of perfect white sand beach. It's absolutely incredible!

There's more info here: http://www.gotostcroix.com/st-croix-beaches/sandy-point/

Please plan appropriately as there are no amenities of any kind and limited shade.

For good shopping in Frederiksted I would recommend the courtyard behind Polly's and walking along the waterfront, there are lots of cute boutiques and shops along there.

Hope this helps someone!

Drake, just saw this on CC. Looks amazing! We will be in St Croix early next year. 2 questions......cab ride there, how long and how much? Also, from the link to the website.....reads no stakes in the ground for shade umbrellas, but 1 of the pictures show a personal umbrella staked on the beach. Can we bring shade umbrellas or not, do you know?

Thanks so much!

• 5 months later...

Can you go to Sandcastle without taking the $25 pass. I thought I saw a post that you could get a chair and umbrella for $10 per person. Is the taxi rate $10 per person round trip or $12? Thank you in advance for responding.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will be going to Sandcastle on my Nov 30th cruise on the Grandeur.

I believe the taxi is $6 pp each way.

The $25 day pass is a better deal for us. We have access to the pool also. And I'm assuming rest rooms.

Not sure if you just use the beach and rent chairs.

• 2 weeks later...

We are interested in going to Sandcastle on our next cruise.  I read the link about the day pass which sounds great.

It looks like it’s first come first served and we aren’t able to make advance reservations.  Has anyone been able to reserve in advance so we know for sure what we’re doing that day.  I’d rather confirm if possible instead of chance them being booked up and then we’re going to plan B (which we haven’t figured out yet)

Noreen

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do not have details about Sandcastle, but last week went to Rainbow beach &would not send my worst enemy there. Lousy beach, overpriced chairs at 2for $40.  Wi-Fi that was unusable and despite paying for the chairs, could not use bathrooms. They had portopotties🤮