Walking To Fort George From The Cruise Terminal

DENNICH

I was hoping that someone could post directions from the cruise terminal to Fort George. I know that they are very close and that the climb up the hill to the fort is very steep. Do I need to walk through the Sendall Tunnel to get there?

I have been to Grenada many times but never really enjoyed St. George's before. I have always rode off on a tour to another part of the island. Looking forward to getting some good photos from Fort George.

Many thanks for any advice or assistance.

• 2 weeks later...
I was hoping that someone could post directions from the cruise terminal to Fort George. I know that they are very close and that the climb up the hill to the fort is very steep. Do I need to walk through the Sendall Tunnel to get there?

I have been to Grenada many times but never really enjoyed St. George's before. I have always rode off on a tour to another part of the island. Looking forward to getting some good photos from Fort George.

Many thanks for any advice or assistance.

There are two options for walking up. One is very steep; the other less so :o

Option 1: Come out of cruise liner terminal and turn right heading towards the Sendall Tunnel. Just before the tunnel on the right hand side are the steps heading up.

Option 2: Come out of cruise liner terminal and turn right heading towards the Sendall Tunnel. Walk through the tunnel (currently pedestrian only as North Carolina contractors are shoring up the cliff face - thank you NC :)) Immediately after the tunnel on the left hand side are the steps heading up at a more leisurely pace - has flowers and a paved path I think.

Whichever option you choose please take water with you as not sure if they have a shop at the top. Have fun and looking forward to seeing the pictures:cool:

There are two options for walking up. One is very steep; the other less so :o

Option 1: Come out of cruise liner terminal and turn right heading towards the Sendall Tunnel. Just before the tunnel on the right hand side are the steps heading up.

Option 2: Come out of cruise liner terminal and turn right heading towards the Sendall Tunnel. Walk through the tunnel (currently pedestrian only as North Carolina contractors are shoring up the cliff face - thank you NC :)) Immediately after the tunnel on the left hand side are the steps heading up at a more leisurely pace - has flowers and a paved path I think.

Whichever option you choose please take water with you as not sure if they have a shop at the top. Have fun and looking forward to seeing the pictures:cool:

Thank you so much Island Star. You are such a great resource for these boards. I love reading your responses to many questions and your obvious love for your country shines through. I think I am going to take option B, partially because I want to walk through the tunnel. :)

Thank you so much Island Star. You are such a great resource for these boards. I love reading your responses to many questions and your obvious love for your country shines through. I think I am going to take option B, partially because I want to walk through the tunnel. :)

You are most welcome :cool: There had been a plan to make the route you want to take as a garden walk with statues and plants and info but unfortunately it never came off. It is certainly less strenuous than Option1 and now the tunnel is shut to traffic it is a pleasant walk through. Suggest as an additional option if you continue through and follow the road left and left you will come to our new Chocolate museum/shop then you can head back up to the fort.

Have a wonderful day on our beautiful island :D

• 2 weeks later...
I always feel so nervous walking through the tunnel. :eek:

We do it but I don't much 'love it'. :D

I hear you and sympathise BUT at present it is totally pedestrian - not sure how long it will last. I do the walk on a regular basis and as long as you keep to the right hand side (heading away from the cruise liner terminal - left-hand side if on way back) you will be fine.:p If super nervous about the traffic when in there - just stop and hug the wall and wait for it to go past.

I hear you and sympathise BUT at present it is totally pedestrian - not sure how long it will last. I do the walk on a regular basis and as long as you keep to the right hand side (heading away from the cruise liner terminal - left-hand side if on way back) you will be fine.:p If super nervous about the traffic when in there - just stop and hug the wall and wait for it to go past.

Great it is totally pedestrian. Hope that lasts. :)

Many thanks to everyone for the follow ups on my initial question. You all had me second guessing and I was rethinking about taking the steep, non tunnel way up to Fort George. My nervousness has diminished and I am tunnel bound, and I think chocolate museum bound too. I figure even the walk up the gentle way will burn the calories from a few nibbles of the delicious chocolate.

Thanks again Islandstar, sail7seas, and Keith 1010. :) You all are so helpful on these CC boards. BTW - Keith, I enjoyed following your live reporting over on the Silversea board. It was refreshing to get a general, "glass is half full," approach.

Edited by DENNICH

• 3 weeks later...
You are most welcome :cool: There had been a plan to make the route you want to take as a garden walk with statues and plants and info but unfortunately it never came off. It is certainly less strenuous than Option1 and now the tunnel is shut to traffic it is a pleasant walk through. Suggest as an additional option if you continue through and follow the road left and left you will come to our new Chocolate museum/shop then you can head back up to the fort.

Have a wonderful day on our beautiful island :D

Thanks for your advice IslandStar. I made it to Fort George and the views were outstanding. It was well worth the climb. I had to walk farther than expected the ship docked at The Carnage due to the swells. I visited the chocolate museum and had some delicious ice cream. I also enjoyed my walk through the pedestrian only tunnel too.

Earlier in the day I had dome a ship excursion to Clarks Court rum factory and to Mourne Rouge beach, so overall it was a perfect day in Grenada. :)

Thanks for your advice IslandStar. I made it to Fort George and the views were outstanding. It was well worth the climb. I had to walk farther than expected the ship docked at The Carnage due to the swells. I visited the chocolate museum and had some delicious ice cream. I also enjoyed my walk through the pedestrian only tunnel too.

Earlier in the day I had dome a ship excursion to Clarks Court rum factory and to Mourne Rouge beach, so overall it was a perfect day in Grenada. :)

Thrilled you had a wonderful time and sorry you had to dock on the inside - a rare occurrence but we have had some late swells this year :o From my own perspective I would love there to be more for our visitors around the Carenage to visit and appreciate but slowly we will develop our attractions. Hope you visit us again soon.

• 1 month later...

I don't know about another cruise terminal.

Ft. George is a pretty large fort that sit way up HIGH on the hill. Unless you can do a lot of walking, it is not for you. I counted (my friend could not do all the walking/steps) at least 150 - 200 steps just one way. There are two ways to walk the steps, and one of the ways does have a drive/street where cars come through, and that will save you some steps there. All I can say is the view is MORE than beautiful from looking out from the fort. When doing the steps, there is a landing ever so often when you can rest, and then continue up. Beautiful flowers all around as well.