Cannot eat solid foods-How Can I Still Cruise?

Florida Papa

I need help... Recent surgery and stroke left me unable to swallow any solid foods. So I'm now on an all-liquid pureed food diet that includes 3 bottles of Ensure-Plus Nutrition liquid + misc. pureed soups, etc. daily for adequate nutrition. But even eating (drinking) my meals is highly embarrassing and disrupting to others because of uncontrollable coughing.

My wife had already booked and paid for our next cruise (12-day British Isles on board the CMV Magellan for May 31, 2016). I can adjust to having to eat my meals alone in our stateroom, but will our cruise line be able to accommodate my highly restrictive diet? And if so, how do I make the suitable arrangements?

I've searched the internet and cannot find any cruise/cruise line info dealing with my particular problem. This forum seems to be my last and only hope. Please, can anyone help?

I can't see any reason why the cruise line wouldn't be able to cope. Plenty of people have severely restricted diets, and presumably the actual consumption of the food can be handled by you and your wife without additional help?

As LHT28 said, speak to the cruise line. Directly for choice, not via your travel agent, on something as imporatnt as this.

I just had an e-mail from a friend who has a similar condition.

They contact the cruise line's special needs/ship's services department at the cruise line headquarters and made arrangements for their required Ensure or whichever brand they use to not only be available but delivered to their cabin and they will eat privately in their cabin. They also do not wish to be in the MDR so the spouse who can eat will order Room Service and the liquid diet will be delivered to them when requested.

Good for you for wanting to continue doing the things you enjoy in the best way possible for you. Best Wishes.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will contact the CMV special needs people to see if they'll be able to accommodate me.

And I'll definitely post the results here to let everyone know their response...

And (assuming all goes well) I'll post again when we return from the cruise to tell everyone how well they followed through.

One last thing... I'm going to begin rehab this week in hopes they'll be able to help me re-learn how to eat & swallow. If that works out maybe this post would have just served as good info for anyone else with this problem who might read it. I can only hope...

Thanks again.

-- Florida Papa

Wishing you all the best on your cruise!

This site is filled with many good people who are always willing to help.:) Amazing that Sail7Seas just had knowledge of how a cruise line helped a friend and was able to pass it on to you. Good job, Sail.:)

Not really a cruise related reply but. ... had some medical issues many years ago including complete vocal cord paralysis. So could not speak or swallow. The physical therapy they can do for these conditions was amazing then (16 years ago)and is even more amazing now. Wish you all the best in a speedy recovery as I feel your pain. Good luck! Don't know where you are in fl BTW but the Cleveland clinic in south fl has a terrific rehab and therapy facility.

Edited by acjahart

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will contact the CMV special needs people to see if they'll be able to accommodate me.

And I'll definitely post the results here to let everyone know their response...

And (assuming all goes well) I'll post again when we return from the cruise to tell everyone how well they followed through.

One last thing... I'm going to begin rehab this week in hopes they'll be able to help me re-learn how to eat & swallow. If that works out maybe this post would have just served as good info for anyone else with this problem who might read it. I can only hope...

Thanks again.

-- Florida Papa

Wishing you successful rehab and a wonderful cruise.

You deserve to have a great vacation.

We'll look forward to hearing from you. :)

Thanks again.

-- Florida Papa

Good luck! I hope the rehab goes well and you can start eating again. You sound like a very caring person with a positive attitude. All the best!

If you are using a thickening agent, I would recommend bringing a good supply because I think that is one thing the ship would not have.

I wish you well on your recovery. You may find that you could get some fun things to eat from the regular menu. Certainly many of their soups are delicious and any of them could be pureed. Desserts such as creme brulee, puddings, key lime pie filling can be mixed with things to make them the right consistency. Shakes or smoothies are delicious.

Enjoy your cruise. You and your wife should have fun together. Yes, it won't be like other cruises, but it can also be a celebration that you are still able to do this together.