Stockholm 2016 information and advise

A new maritime archaeology museum will open in Stockholm in 2020. It will be located at Galärvarvet next to Vasa.

http://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/statens_maritima_museer/pressreleases/new-maritime-archaeological-museum-about-the-unique-cultural-heritage-of-the-baltic-sea-2387795

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/stockholm/nya-sensationella-historiska-vrak-funna-i-stockholms-skargard

https://www.sjohistoriska.se/marinarkeologi/ostersjonsskatter

http://royaldjurgarden.se/vi-valkomnar-ett-nytt-marinarkeologiskt-museum-*****-ostersjons-varldsunika-kulturarv/

It will a new type of museum that focus allot on digital solutions to show the collections of maritime history

that are lying at the bottom of the Baltic seas. There are hundreds of very well preserved wrecks but

it is extremely unlikely that any of them will be salvaged. They are too fragile and it would cost too much money.

My speculations are that they are perhaps going to have 3D-cinema or some sort of Virtual reality,

They have done some digital 3D models of the wrecks, like this one of Bodekull (Dalarö wreck):

https://sketchfab.com/models/9dd0c8b9f37f4ea284569ee313d81ad3

----

Royal Djurgården official visitors guide; http://royaldjurgarden.se/en/

Djurgården visitors center is located at Galärvarvsvägen 2 (directly to the right of the Djurgården bridge):

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gal%C3%A4rvarvsv%C3%A4gen+2,+115+21+Stockholm/@59.330799,18.0939841,3a,21.1y,232.58h,85.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svgvluxyrIDmsdHabJTW4bA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x465f9d53c75dae3f:0x54edc3a3173be11!8m2!3d59.3307845!4d18.0931706

Hello Stockholm experts,

Sailing on NCL in July, 2019, we will have 1 day in Stockholm. I understand we won't know where exactly we are docking until probably next year. At any rate, I was thinking we could forego an organized tour in Stockholm and see it on our own. All we really want to do is:

-Stroll around Gamla Stan

-Visit Djurgarden, rent bikes

-Visit Skansen

Does this sound doable in an 8-hour day? What about if we dock at 1 port vs. another, I understand one is further away.

Can anyone advise as to the most efficient way to get these done? Looking at Rick Steves guide it seems we could start in Gamla Stan, and once we walk through it looks like we end up near a ferry that goes to Djurgarden which would work out well.

Not sure if we end up at the other port, what would be the best plan. from what I understand it's a 1-hour ride just to get to stockholm from that port?

Thank you.

You mustn't forget The Vasa ship. It's more or less one of a kind in the world when it comes to museums. It is located at Djurgården though.

However you probably won't be able to do all that in just 8 hours. Vasa alone will require around 2 hours. Skansen is nice but not a must IMO.

A bike tour sounds nice but I have no experience from it. Old Town is also really nice.

My suggestion of order of visit would be

1, Vasa

2. Bike tour of Djurgården. If it rains you could swap bike tour for the Viking museum.

3. Old Town

Transport depends on where your ship berths.

From Nynäshamn:

1. Walk or bus (port shuttle) to Nynäshamn station Commuter train to Stockholm City station, use Klarabergsviadukten exit

2. Go with red bus #69 towards Manilla, get off at Djurgårdsbron and walk across the bridge to get to Vasa.

3. Bike tour I don't know which one you are interested in or where it starts.

4. From Djurgården to Old town either use Djurgården Ferries or HoHo boats from Allmänna gränd,

The other option is bus #76 towards Norra Hammarbyhamnen from Djurgårdsbron (opposite side of where you got off).

Get off at either Slottsbacken or Räntmästartrappan.

5. Back to ship. Walk to Stockholm City station from old town, then commuter train back to Nynäshamn.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/59.3267063,18.0654203/Stockholm+City/@59.3282346,18.061902,16.5z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f9d607c0d4e79:0xaf45e010e373b0b8!2m2!1d18.0586906!2d59.3304724!3e2

1 & 5 will depends on where your ship berths.

From/to Frihamnen use bus #76.

From/to Stadsgården S167 use HoHo boats or M/S Emelie to Allmänna gränd and walk to Vasa.

From Old Town use bus #53 towards Henriksdalsberget and get off at Londonviadukten. Walk is also

an option. It's quite a nice walk but also quite far.

You mustn't forget The Vasa ship. It's more or less one of a kind in the world when it comes to museums. It is located at Djurgården though.

However you probably won't be able to do all that in just 8 hours. Vasa alone will require around 2 hours. Skansen is nice but not a must IMO.

A bike tour sounds nice but I have no experience from it. Old Town is also really nice.

My suggestion of order of visit would be

1, Vasa

2. Bike tour of Djurgården. If it rains you could swap bike tour for the Viking museum.

3. Old Town

Transport depends on where your ship berths.

From Nynäshamn:

1. Walk or bus (port shuttle) to Nynäshamn station Commuter train to Stockholm City station, use Klarabergsviadukten exit

2. Go with red bus #69 towards Manilla, get off at Djurgårdsbron and walk across the bridge to get to Vasa.

3. Bike tour I don't know which one you are interested in or where it starts.

4. From Djurgården to Old town either use Djurgården Ferries or HoHo boats from Allmänna gränd,

The other option is bus #76 towards Norra Hammarbyhamnen from Djurgårdsbron (opposite side of where you got off).

Get off at either Slottsbacken or Räntmästartrappan.

5. Back to ship. Walk to Stockholm City station from old town, then commuter train back to Nynäshamn.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/59.3267063,18.0654203/Stockholm+City/@59.3282346,18.061902,16.5z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f9d607c0d4e79:0xaf45e010e373b0b8!2m2!1d18.0586906!2d59.3304724!3e2

1 & 5 will depends on where your ship berths.

From/to Frihamnen use bus #76.

From/to Stadsgården S167 use HoHo boats or M/S Emelie to Allmänna gränd and walk to Vasa.

From Old Town use bus #53 towards Henriksdalsberget and get off at Londonviadukten. Walk is also

an option. It's quite a nice walk but also quite far.

Thank you. After much consideration, we've decided to skip Vasa. This will be at the end of a long vacation with many tours planned, I think we will be museum-ed out by that point. And to be honest, nobody was very interested in it to begin with. But, I will reconsider , run it by the kids again, and possibly we would swap out skansen for that. Gamla Stan and bike ride around the park are our "must dos" (unless it rains).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thank you. After much consideration, we've decided to skip Vasa. This will be at the end of a long vacation with many tours planned, I think we will be museum-ed out by that point.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I know that some thinks this is just another museum but well this isn't like any other museum. Vasa is the thing

to see in Stockholm. It's more then a museum. It's almost like a temple built in honour of the ship.

There is also lots of different type of exhibits as well as free guided tours and screening of a documentary

about the ship in the museum's own auditorium On August 10th this year, it will be 390 since she sank.

The museum was visited by almost 1.5 million people last year which meant that it overtook

Skansen as the most visited museum in Sweden in 2017.

https://www.thelocal.se/20180111/stockholms-vasa-museum-sails-into-top-spot-on-most-visited-list

https://www.vasamuseet.se/en

https://www.tripadvisor.se/Attraction_Review-g189852-d208277-Reviews-Vasa_Museum-Stockholm.html

I know that some thinks this is just another museum but well this isn't like any other museum. Vasa is the thing

to see in Stockholm. It's more then a museum. It's almost like a temple built in honour of the ship.

There is also lots of different type of exhibits as well as free guided tours and screening of a documentary

about the ship in the museum's own auditorium On August 10th this year, it will be 390 since she sank.

The museum was visited by almost 1.5 million people last year which meant that it overtook

Skansen as the most visited museum in Sweden in 2017.

I can see your enthusiasm for Vasa. :D I promise I will reconsider. I will amend my original plan so it is

Priority 1 - Gamla Stan

Priority 2 - Bike around Djurgarden

Priority 3 - Visit ONE of the museums on Djurgarden. I am making all the decisions on this trip, I think I will leave this one up to the kids to decide.

Funny note - I just Googled "things to do in Djurgarden" and saw Museum of Spirits come up and thought "OOOH! My kids will LOVE this!" thinking it was about ghosts and such...... alas, upon further inspection I see it is a museum of alcholic drinks. probably not a good idea for the kids, ha ha

We did the "Stockholm On Your Own" aka the transportation only option through NCL. The bus ride was 1 hour to Stockholm and then we had several hours to explore the city. We're really glad we did this and were impressed with how much we were able to see during our day. You will want to have a sightseeing plan since you have limited time here.

We were dropped off near the Opera House which is within walking distance of The Royal Palace. The HOHO boat tours are in front of the palace and offer a nice way to see the city.

There are 2 different HOHO boat tours identified by either Red or Green boats. These are separate companies and you can't take a red boat if you bought tickets for the green boat. Many people were confused by this which is why I'm pointing this out. Boats arrive every 15-20 minutes.

We had a beautiful sunny day so we decided to take the HOHO boat to get around which ended up being really fun and a great way to see the city. You also get a set of earbuds so you can listen to the audio guide which is available in multiple languages.

Our first stop was Vasa. This was the one thing we didn't want to miss in Stockholm. We got there around 10am or so. We walked right in and just happened to catch the beginning of a tour with the English guide. We spent about 1.5-2 hours here before moving on.

Because we had such great weather, we decided to visit Skansen Open Air Museum for several hours. This was really cool and would be a great place for kids. After Skansen, we walked around this part of Stockholm for a bit, saw the outside of the Abba museum (it was too busy and we really didn't want to wait to get in) and hopped on a boat to the old town.

We spent the rest of afternoon walking around Gamla Stan and walking down the old streets and exploring shops.

We met the NCL bus where we were dropped off. It was a bit chaotic because everyone was pushing and shoving to get on one of 2 buses back to the ship. People didn't seem to understand that there were 15+ buses that brought everyone there, so there were 15+ buses to bring everyone back. Bus arrivals were staggered because there isn't enough room on the street for more than 2-3 buses to park. We had to show our NCL excursion ticket to get on the bus so keep it with you!

The ride back to the ship was pleasant and I think pretty much everyone on the bus took a nap!

I think we’ll do something similar. How did you get from the bus drop to vasa? That’s so,etching I’d like to do. And how far is the open air museum from vasa? That looks interesting too.

We did the "Stockholm On Your Own" aka the transportation only option through NCL. The bus ride was 1 hour to Stockholm and then we had several hours to explore the city. We're really glad we did this and were impressed with how much we were able to see during our day. You will want to have a sightseeing plan since you have limited time here.

We were dropped off near the Opera House which is within walking distance of The Royal Palace. The HOHO boat tours are in front of the palace and offer a nice way to see the city.

There are 2 different HOHO boat tours identified by either Red or Green boats. These are separate companies and you can't take a red boat if you bought tickets for the green boat. Many people were confused by this which is why I'm pointing this out. Boats arrive every 15-20 minutes.

We had a beautiful sunny day so we decided to take the HOHO boat to get around which ended up being really fun and a great way to see the city. You also get a set of earbuds so you can listen to the audio guide which is available in multiple languages.

Our first stop was Vasa. This was the one thing we didn't want to miss in Stockholm. We got there around 10am or so. We walked right in and just happened to catch the beginning of a tour with the English guide. We spent about 1.5-2 hours here before moving on.

Because we had such great weather, we decided to visit Skansen Open Air Museum for several hours. This was really cool and would be a great place for kids. After Skansen, we walked around this part of Stockholm for a bit, saw the outside of the Abba museum (it was too busy and we really didn't want to wait to get in) and hopped on a boat to the old town.

We spent the rest of afternoon walking around Gamla Stan and walking down the old streets and exploring shops.

We met the NCL bus where we were dropped off. It was a bit chaotic because everyone was pushing and shoving to get on one of 2 buses back to the ship. People didn't seem to understand that there were 15+ buses that brought everyone there, so there were 15+ buses to bring everyone back. Bus arrivals were staggered because there isn't enough room on the street for more than 2-3 buses to park. We had to show our NCL excursion ticket to get on the bus so keep it with you!

The ride back to the ship was pleasant and I think pretty much everyone on the bus took a nap!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

This sounds what I’d like to do though I don’t see a Stockholm on your own option for our tour. How did you get from the drop off point to vasa? And how far is the open air museum from vasa? That looks interesting too.

This sounds what I’d like to do though I don’t see a Stockholm on your own option for our tour. How did you get from the drop off point to vasa? And how far is the open air museum from vasa? That looks interesting too.

I did the Stockholm pass which includes entrances and transportation. I think I took the city bus to vasa and then the hoho bus to the open air museum.

You don’t need the “Stockholm on your own” if you dock in the city. The transportation is very easy. I’d only consider if you dock in nynashamn.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did the Stockholm pass which includes entrances and transportation. I think I took the city bus to vasa and then the hoho bus to the open air museum.

You don’t need the “Stockholm on your own” if you dock in the city. The transportation is very easy. I’d only consider if you dock in nynashamn.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It does seem that we’re docking there. My reservation doesn’t state it yet but the port website lists it as being in Nynäshamn. But since the cruise hasn’t modified the info yet, there doesn’t seem to be a Stockholm on your own option so far

No need to take the bus from Vasa to Skansen. It is entirely walkable if you enter Skansen via the western entrance called Hazeliusporten.

The distance from Vasa to Hazeliusporten is only about 500-600m. http://www.skansen.se/en/hazeliusporten

https://kartor.eniro.se/m/b9hrz

https://www.google.com/maps/@59.3275959,18.0953805,309m/data=!3m1!1e3

You could also walk through the cemetery (the green area to the right of Vasa) on the way from Vasa to Skansen.

Hello Desdichado62 & everyone reading up on Stockholm,

Thanks for starting up and staying active in such a resourceful thread and to all our members that have continued to help it continue to thrive since 2015!

The time seems right, after hundreds of posts and a few years, to open up a new thread with updated information that’s also a bit easier for any newcomers to browse through for information.

The previous thread will remain open to search for information, it’s only closed to new posts.

Also, please don’t feel obliged to compose a voluminous multi-linked opening post - the choice is yours., We’re just glad you’re all here :)