Stockholm 2016 information and advise

We will end our Baltic Sea cruise on the Viking Star in Stockholm; docking at

Stadsgarden Cruise Terminal on July 14, 2017 and disembarking on Saturday, July 15. We have a flight to

Amsterdam at 9:35 a.m. on KLM. There are four of us in our group (women aged 70), and would appreciate

information on the recommended way to get from the ship to the airport and how early we should arrive at

the airport. I think we might prefer a taxi or private car, so we don't have to deal with our luggage. Since it's

a Saturday, will the traffic be less of an issue? Thank you very much.

Yes there will be less traffic on a Saturday morning. If your prefer a taxi then just pre-book a taxi to pick you up.

As for how early at the airport, KLM website says that check-in for intra-European flights closes 40 minutes prior

to scheduled departure, so maybe 1.5-2 hours before departure?

Desdichado62,

Thank you for all of your helpful advice. We are arriving on the Crown Princess on July 13 at Frihamnen. I see

there is a sales point for travel cards right at the end of Frihamnen (thanks to your link). Do you think we

will be able to buy two 24 hour travel cards with cash (Swedish Krona)? Thanks for your help!

Yes, they should accept both cash and card.

However if you feel that you want a more definite answer, you could email VS and ask,

http://www.visitstockholm.com/en/Good-to-know/Tourist-information-centers/

I need to go from the center of Stockholm (near the Ice Bar) out to Brommaplan for a hot air balloon ride. Can anyone tell me how easy it is to use the subway/train system in Stockholm, would train(s) i'd take and if they recommend using it versus taking a taxi? I will have a 8 going. Thanks for any input.

Chris

This sounds really cool. I can't find anything with a google search. Can you share details?

Hi, we'll be arriving in Stockholm (Frihamnen) on 20/06 Tuesday. I've tried booking tours through Viator, Alla & SPB and all have turned me down. Alla wanted an additional 6 people (we're a group of 4 & my roll call is DEAD), SPB isn't running a tour due to low turn out & Viator stated their tour isn't running that day.

We'd like to experience a little bit of Stockholm. Visit Gamla Stan, a viewpoint of Stockholm for pictures would be nice. A stop at Vasa isn't top priority but would be welcome along with a palace stop. We'd like some time in Gamla Stan to explore & maybe shop/eat.

Any recommendations?

Hi, we'll be arriving in Stockholm (Frihamnen) on 20/06 Tuesday. I've tried booking tours through Viator, Alla & SPB and all have turned me down. Alla wanted an additional 6 people (we're a group of 4 & my roll call is DEAD), SPB isn't running a tour due to low turn out & Viator stated their tour isn't running that day.

We'd like to experience a little bit of Stockholm. Visit Gamla Stan, a viewpoint of Stockholm for pictures would be nice. A stop at Vasa isn't top priority but would be welcome along with a palace stop. We'd like some time in Gamla Stan to explore & maybe shop/eat.

Any recommendations?

I'd do a quick stop at Vasa the first thing in the morning since it is along the way between Frihamnen and Gamla stan

anyway and Gamla Stan doesn't really come to life until after 10am which makes a morning stop at Vasa ideal.

The palace is in Gamla stan which means you should do it while also doing Gamla stan.

View points see "Great free views of Stockholm:" at this link (post #2 in this topic) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49023362&postcount=2

Additional Moneteliusvägen link

https://www.google.se/maps/dir/59.3200372,18.0573754/59.3203449,18.0634641/@59.3207451,18.0614761,3a,75y,7.15h,91.34t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1s7BIxEc5UNjTBkVj2IJoldQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D7BIxEc5UNjTBkVj2IJoldQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D356.80447%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!4m9!4m8!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d18.0588918!2d59.3206305!3s0x465f77e6b9a38d0d:0xa3e6f61e0c3d03f8!1m0!3e2

Any recommendations?

We have booked a private tour with Thomas Andersson for 2 of us. He has been great to work with online -can't say how good he is in person until we going August:). His email is thomas.andersson@live.com if you want to contact him.

Our family of 4 arrived Frihamnen cruise port last year in June and we explored Stockholm by ourselves via public transportation (bus, subway). It was pretty easy and doable.

Basically, we purchased the 24hr SL Travel Card from the port then hopped on Bus 1 to town.

We visited the City Hall, explored Gamla Stan, Myntorget, Jarntogett then took the ferry to Djurgarden Island for Vasa Museum. Stockholm was the last port of our cruise so the next morning, we used the same Travel card to go to the airport.

Very easy and saved us a lot of money.

• 2 weeks later...

Parkteatern outdoor shows during the 2017 summer (schedule is in Swedish) some shows are in English

http://kulturhusetstadsteatern.se/parkteatern/

http://kulturhusetstadsteatern.se/Kalender/#?filter=parkteatern&id=4673&year=2017&month=6

http://kulturhusetstadsteatern.se/Documents/Parkteatern/Parkteatern%202017.pdf

Page 28 and forward have all the date/locations listed. Events marked with a star are in English language.

A midsummer night's dream have English subtitles or is performed in English but is only played during June.

The shows are held outdoors at different locations in Stockholm. Locations are:

Parkteatern

Vitabergsparken

Åkeshovs slottspark

Solursparken, Vällingby

Galärparken, Djurgården (next to the Vasa museum)

Blecktornsparken

Bredäng

Directions (in Swedish)

http://kulturhusetstadsteatern.se/parkteatern/Spelplatser/Innerstan/

http://kulturhusetstadsteatern.se/parkteatern/Spelplatser/NorrortVasterort/

http://kulturhusetstadsteatern.se/parkteatern/Spelplatser/Innerstan/

http://kulturhusetstadsteatern.se/parkteatern/Spelplatser/Kranskommuner/

Just reporting in on our experience with the SL 72-hour travel card. We docked at Frihamnen. Having researched this ahead of time, we even had instructions of how to purchase the tickets from the machine at the bus stop. Arriving at the bus stop there was a long line of tourists trying to use the machine. No one succeeded in purchasing a travel card while I was there; some purchased single tickets while others took a taxi. Meanwhile, because this was taking so long, busses were passing by. After about 15 minutes, we gave up and walked back to the travel information desk back in the cruise passenger building to buy the passes. And then back to the bus stop. It's 850 metres from the ship to the bus stop, 850 back to the travel desk, 850 metres back to the bus stop ... so that's a fair bit of walking plus over an hour of our time just to get the passes. One of the passes worked just once. After that, every time we got on a bus we had to plead with the driver to let us travel, because the pass was not working. We didn't even attempt a T-bana ride because of the hassle. So, all in all, this did not work out to be a great transportation option for us. Still, our overall impression of Stockholm was very positive; what a beautiful city and so much to see.

• 2 weeks later...

Some information regarding changes in Stockholm's bus network.

Blue bus #1's stop Gärdet will temporarily move to stops at Tegeluddsvägen

Red bus #54 Östermalmstorg stop is temporarily moved to Linnégatan, between June 23rd and December 10th.

Red bus #54 Nybroplan stop is temporarily moved to Strandvägen between June 23rd and December 10th.

I also want to remind you that all SL-buses will start using summer schedule on Friday and will end using it in mid/late August.

Djugårdsfärjan uses summer schedule from today until 2017-08-20.

Just a reminder that the new Viking museum opens tomorrow, location is just a couple of hundred meters from Vasa.

http://www.vikingaliv.se/en/

https://www.facebook.com/vikingalivdjurgarden/

I have finally read thru the 21 pages of postings, thanks so much for the information. There is the Nordic Museum close to the Vasa. How is this different from the new Viking museum? We won't be in Stockholm until June of 2018 but I like to plan:D

I have finally read thru the 21 pages of postings, thanks so much for the information. There is the Nordic Museum close to the Vasa. How is this different from the new Viking museum? We won't be in Stockholm until June of 2018 but I like to plan:D

Nordiska museet = Swedish society history during the modern era (1500—) . What people ate, how they lived and etc.

The new viking museum is well Vikings only.

For Swedish pre 1500-history in general, Historiska museet is the place to go to.

Nordiska museet = Swedish society history during the modern era (1500—) . What people ate, how they lived and etc.

The new viking museum is well Vikings only.

For Swedish pre 1500-history in general, Historiska museet is the place to go to.

Thank you for the clarification. I'm not up on the difference between Nordic and Viking. I'm sure I will be by the time we finish the cruise next year.:o

M/S Emelie harbour ferry - summer time table information.

Thank you for the clarification. I'm not up on the difference between Nordic and Viking.

I'm sure I will be by the time we finish the cruise next year.:o

Nordic is a region that consists of Sweden, Norway, Denmark (the 3 Scandinavian countries) + Finland and Iceland.

Viking is sort of a people that mainly lived in said region about 1000 years ago. They basically were Norse/Nordic seafarers.

Thanks for the Summer timetable for Emelie Desdichado62. ( just have to translate it now haha.)

Do you know if Emelie runs the same time table when cruise ships arrive on that day.

We arrive on the Regal Princess Friday 14th July and wish to go straight to the Vasa first thing in the morning hopefully to beat the crowds.

Cheers Johhno

Thanks for the Summer timetable for Emelie Desdichado62. ( just have to translate it now haha.)

Do you know if Emelie runs the same time table when cruise ships arrive on that day.

We arrive on the Regal Princess Friday 14th July and wish to go straight to the Vasa first thing in the morning hopefully to beat the crowds.

Cheers Johhno

Emelie uses the same schedule regardless of if cruise ships are in town or not.

My wife and I will be in Stockholm next month (late July 2017). When our Royal Caribbean ship docks in Stockholm, we have a 2 night stay near central station in Stockholm. I was just wondering what is the best way to get from our port, Fihamnen to the hotel, Scandic Grand Central. If a taxi is the best way, I'm ok with that. Otherwise, what other (if any) options are there?

Hello, I tried to search for this answer but could not find it. If we arrive from the airport on the Arlandia Express with our luggage and want to take the T-Bana to Slussen, can you please describe the walk from one platform to the other. Does it involve escalators or is there an elevator. I know that there are 2 lines but I would like to know what is involved in the transfer since we would have our luggage with us.

Thank you.

Hello, I tried to search for this answer but could not find it. If we arrive from the airport on the Arlandia Express with our luggage and want to take the T-Bana to Slussen, can you please describe the walk from one platform to the other. Does it involve escalators or is there an elevator. I know that there are 2 lines but I would like to know what is involved in the transfer since we would have our luggage with us.

Thank you.

Arlanda Express arrives at track 1 and 2. Walk to the main hall of the Central station (centralhallen) and go to the lower level.

At the lower level follow the sings towards Tunnelbana/metro. I don't know which platform but there are monitors/traffic boards that will show you which platform is for which line/direction.

There are three lines that goes from T-centralen past Slussen; 17 (towards Skarpnäck), 18 (towards Farsta strand)

and 19 (towards Hagsätra).

A map of Stockholm central station:

https://www.arlandaexpress.com/files/kartor/sthlm_orienteringskarta_k4.pdf