Stockholm 2016 information and advise

Just make sure you get a safe taxi, as described in the first post here.

To be more specific, the price shown in the largest font on the yellow taxi sticker seen in the first post, should be somewhere around 300-320 kr for a decent taxi, as I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong).

To be more specific, the price shown in the largest font on the yellow taxi sticker seen in the first post, should be somewhere around 300-320 kr for a decent taxi, as I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong).

It varies depending on what time of the day it is and depending on what company it is,

Rush hour times are usually more expensive then day time but less expensive then evenings/nights.

There is one thing I forgot in the original post and that you can check which ships that have ordered a pilot.

Just go here: https://eservices.sjofartsverket.se/lotsinfopublic/lotsning_frames.asp

For "Område" Select Stockholm/Svartklubben LS Then for Best.start: select the desired date.

You can only see orders for the nearest 7 days.

So selecting the above parameters will get you this result today:

lots-1_zpsqfqovgem.png

best.start is when the pilot have been booked to start the piloting.

plan.start is when the pilot is planned to start the piloting.

Fartygsnamn is the name of the ship.

Från is where the pilot will board the ship.

Till is where the pilot will disembark.

Påbörjad is when the piloting started.

Avslutad is when the piloting finished.

This will indicate if the ship is planned for Stockholm or for Nynäshamn. Nynäshamn can be found under Södertälje LS.

You can also use this as an indication to when your ship will enter the archipelago.

Svartklubben is a small island with a lighthouse in the northern most part of the archipelago: https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svartklubben

Most cruise ship however, will likely arrive to the archipelago at Tjärven lighthouse which is where the pilot will board the ship. https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tj%C3%A4rven

Edited by Desdichado62

Just found out our ship (Regal Princess) will dock directly in Stockholm. We are only in port from 7:00-2:00. I'm sure this means that all aboard will be 1:30. We'd really like to see the Vasa, Old Town and the Abba museum. Is this even doable? We were considering the HoHo buses but I see they don't start running until 10:00 in the morning.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Just found out our ship (Regal Princess) will dock directly in Stockholm. We are only in port from 7:00-2:00. I'm sure this means that all aboard will be 1:30. We'd really like to see the Vasa, Old Town and the Abba museum. Is this even doable? We were considering the HoHo buses but I see they don't start running until 10:00 in the morning.

FraudBroad, If I may jump into your conversation - I'd like to ask you how you found out where your Princess cruise ship is going to dock and whether you know its specific berth or just that it will be in Stockholm (and not Nynashamn)? I'll be on the Pacific Princess, docking in Stockholm July 5, 2016, but I haven't been able to find out which berth. The Pacific Princess is not listed in Vessel Calls http://www.portsofstockholm.com/vessel-calls/ for that date.

FraudBroad, If I may jump into your conversation - I'd like to ask you how you found out where your Princess cruise ship is going to dock and whether you know its specific berth or just that it will be in Stockholm (and not Nynashamn)? I'll be on the Pacific Princess, docking in Stockholm July 5, 2016, but I haven't been able to find out which berth. The Pacific Princess is not listed in Vessel Calls http://www.portsofstockholm.com/vessel-calls/ for that date.

Someone posted on the Princess board so I went and looked an my itinerary on princess.com. Sure enough it now says "Stockholm" and they times have changed. We are only in port from 7-2.

Forget the HoHo buses. They are very slow and unsuitable way to get around.

I think your schedule is very tight, it's not impossible but you will not have much time at Vasa or old town if you want to do Abba as well.

For transport, I don't know if there will be a HoHo boat that early in the morning, if there is then use it, if not try to get out can very early to try to get to the edge of the quay

so you can go with the harbour ferry M/s Emelie.

It leaves at 07.28 from the point marked out on the pic in the first post.

If you realize that you want make it to the ferry and there is no HoHo boats , then bus is your only option. See directions in the first post.

Since you have to buy tickets before boarding the bus, you can save time by using the official ticket app from SL. http://sl.se/en/eng-info/fares/app/

We will be in Stockholm for 2days before our cruise in June. Is the Stockholm Pass with the additional Travelcard an economical way to see major sights?

To be honest, I think it's very much down to you, what you want to see and etc.

A 2 day pass with travel costs about 1000SEK and the other option is to by a SL 72 hour travel card

which costs 230SEK and gives you unlimited travel for 72 hours. http://sl.se/en/eng-info/fares/travelcards/

Then pay for each sight that you want to do.

However as I said, it's down to you and what you want to do that decides which option is the moste economical.

A bit confused. We are on Regal Princess arriving in Stockholm on June 1. Princess lists the port on everything (itinerary, shore excursions, web site) as Nynashamn, but the vessel calls website shows the ship docking at Frihamnen.. Any ideas on how to confirm where the will actually be going? Trying to do some planning...

We are on the same ship. The itinerary has changed and the website has now been updated. Our TA sent us the notice that we will be docking in Stockholm and the port website shows it as Frihamnen.

To be honest, I think it's very much down to you, what you want to see and etc.

A 2 day pass with travel costs about 1000SEK and the other option is to by a SL 72 hour travel card

which costs 230SEK and gives you unlimited travel for 72 hours. http://sl.se/en/eng-info/fares/travelcards/

Then pay for each sight that you want to do.

However as I said, it's down to you and what you want to do that decides which option is the moste economical.

Thanks

We will be in Stockholm for 2 days before our cruise in June. Is the Stockholm Pass with the additional Travelcard an economical way to see major sights?

Note that the cost for the additional travel card for all combinations (1 day, 2 days, 3 days , 5 days) is exactly the same as buying the corresponding Stockholm local traffic (SL) day cards (115 kr, 230 kr, 230 kr, 460 kr) so you will not win anything. But the Stockholm pass will be delivered worldwide (at an extra cost) saving you the trouble to find a place to buy the SL day card after you arrive at Stockholm.

Edited by Ultima Thule

I am confused about how to buy tickets for public transportation. I followed your link to SL Fares & Tickets. It appears that as a one day cruise ship visitor, what I want is a 24 hour or zone "Single Use Travel Card". Do I have to purchase an SL Access Card first? Also, where can I buy these? You posted that tickets are sold at cruise terminals, but the SL site http://sl.se/en/fares--tickets/ does not list cruise terminals among the places where Single Use Travel Cards can be purchased.

Edited by islandwoman

It appears that as a one day cruise ship visitor, what I want is a 24 hour or zone "Single Use Travel Card". Do I have to purchase an SL Access Card first? .

That was the situation earlier but then they came to the correct conclusion it was crazy that a tourist had to buy a SL Access Card that he/she would use just once.

So now there is a non-rechargable paper 24 hour ticket for one time use (115 SEK). It has some electronic stuff between the layers of paper and will start counting the time when used the first time.

Edited by Ultima Thule

I am confused about how to buy tickets for public transportation. I followed your link to SL Fares & Tickets. It appears that as a one day cruise ship visitor, what I want is a 24 hour or zone "Single Use Travel Card". Do I have to purchase an SL Access Card first? Also, where can I buy these? You posted that tickets are sold at cruise terminals, but the SL site http://sl.se/en/fares--tickets/ does not list cruise terminals among the places where Single Use Travel Cards can be purchased.

The SL access card is only needed if you plan on purchasing a ticket for 7 days or more.

All sales points or not individually listed on the fares-tickets page since there are way too many to list there but:

goto the start page and click on the blue/White icon in the top right corner in the map.

Check "försäljnings ställen" or "sales points" the map will display all places that sales tickets and travel cards.

Click + or - to zoom in/out.

The cruise terminal sales points are operated by Stockholm visitors center and only sells single tickets, 24 and 72 hour travel cards.

I had intended to include the link into the first post but I forgot about it. ;)

Edited by Desdichado62

More specific info on the map at SL.se

Red ticket markers only sells single tickets+24/72-hour travel cards.

Blue is ticket machines, SL-access card refills + paper zone tickets

Green markers are retailers that sells all of the available SL-tickets and travel cards.

Our cruise ship will dock at the Frihamnen (Freeport) F638 on Saturday, June 25 around 11 am. The ship will be there for two days. Please let me know if this is doable for our departure from this dock to ARN Airport for a 12:25pm flight back to USA.

With the 24 Hour SL Travel Card that we purchased the day before, we plan to take Bus 1 near the cruise port to Stockholm City Central Bus Station. Walk to Stockholm Central Station to board the commuter train Pendeltåg Line 36 towards Märsta station. At Märsta, take bus 583 or 583X to Arlanda Versailles bus stop at the airport.

Thank you very much.

I can't say at the moment. I checked the routes in the original post when I made this thread but if I try to find that route now, SL's travel planner won't return that route any more.

However I have also checked the bus connections between Märsta and Arlanda terminals 2/3. This bus line still exist so you should be able to use the route that you have planned.

The route planner on the other hand insists that you use the blue bus #1 towards Stora Essingen to Cityterminalen and then walk to Centralstation just like you write.

However instead of going via Märsta, it suggest that you use the commuter train towards Uppsala and that you get off at Arlanda C.

The latter is faster but you will have to pay an extra fee at Arlanda C to be able to exit the station.

Thank you for your information.

A few more questions..

1) What is the number of the commuter train towards Uppsala?

2) How much the extra fee that we have to pay in order to exit at Arlanda C station?

3) Our flight is the SAS so which stop at the airport would be the best? The Commuter Train 36 has these stops: Arlanda Terminal 5 and SAS hangaren.

4) I just found out that June 25 and 26 are Mid-Summer Eve holiday in Stockholm. Is everything closed during this time? Museum, stores on Stortoget, Rahuset, Royal Palace, Cathedral, .etc.? Also, would the public transportation, bus, tram, metro, train, .etc. run on schedule or different?

Thanks again.

Thank you for your information.

A few more questions..

1) What is the number of the commuter train towards Uppsala?

2) How much the extra fee that we have to pay in order to exit at Arlanda C station?

3) Our flight is the SAS so which stop at the airport would be the best? The Commuter Train 36 has these stops: Arlanda Terminal 5 and SAS hangaren.

4) I just found out that June 25 and 26 are Mid-Summer Eve holiday in Stockholm. Is everything closed during this time? Museum, stores

on Stortoget, Rahuset, Royal Palace, Cathedral, .etc.? Also, would the public transportation, bus, tram, metro, train, .etc. run on schedule or different?

Thanks again.

1. Uppsala commuter train's designation is J38.

2. per http://www.swedavia.com/arlanda/to-from/train/ the fee is currently 85SEK (10 USD)

3. SAS flights to Copenghagen and USA departs from Terminal 5 but the train #38 only stops at Arlanda C, to get to terminal 2,3 or 5 you need

to go via Märsta (as you originally had planned) with bus 585 from Märsta.

4. Most stores will be closed, supermarkets will have limited opening hours. Vasa, Skansen, Royal Palace will be open as usual. I think Abba museum will be open as well.

Most other museums will likely be closed/you have to check them. Not sure about the City Hall and Storkyrkan.

Transportation (as it says in the opening posts) will use Saturday schedule for Midsummers eve and Sunday schedule for Midsummer day.

Edited by Desdichado62

A bit confused. We are on Regal Princess arriving in Stockholm on June 1. Princess lists the port on everything (itinerary, shore excursions, web site) as Nynashamn, but the vessel calls website shows the ship docking at Frihamnen.. Any ideas on how to confirm where the will actually be going? Trying to do some planning...

There was some discussion about the Regal docking in Stockholm on the main Princess forum a few months ago. Earlier this week I did receive notice of this change from Princess thru our TA and posted this information on the 2 roll calls of our cruise in late May...one from Copenhagen and the other from Berlin. What I am not sure of is the location of the cruise terminal in Stockholm and as of yesterday there was nothing shown on the Stockholm port site(s). Obviously, the Regal will need to use the largest pier wherever that may be.

Perhaps the OP could shed some light on which is the main cruise terminal in Stockholm.

Updated info regarding airport coaches.

TRSM Group 1's company Air Shuttle have ceased to operate airport coaches between Stockholm City and Arlanda airport.

http://www.airshuttle.se/?lang=en

That means that Flygbussarna again is the sole provider of airport coaches between Stockholm City and Arlanda airport.

Edited by Desdichado62