Stockholm 2016 information and advise

Hi all,

Thanks for all the feedback on my previous posts - great information as always :) I'll be in Stockholm at the end of the month for 2.5 days before boarding my cruise. I heard somewhere that there are canal/boat tours in Stockholm, but I can't find the posts. I'm interested in learning about any - looking for something up to 3 hours long that will maybe catch the sites of the city. I think I read somewhere about a bridges tour - but again couldn't find the posts.

Thanks in advance for the feedback :)

You have several cruises to choose from:

http://www.stromma.se/en/stockholm/sightseeing/sightseeing-by-boat/

https://www.redsightseeing.com/the-bridges-and-canals-of-stockholm/

OK, I've read this whole thread at least twice. Good reading as well as good information.

But I haven't found specific answers to these questions. If I've missed the answers, go ahead and mock me or slap me up side the head, but after that - please answer:

We dock at F634 FRIHAMNEN on August 16.

1. Can we get cash at that location? Where?

2. Can we purchase bus tix at that location? Where?

Anxiously waiting to find out if I should duck.

Phoebe

OK, I've read this whole thread at least twice. Good reading as well as good information.

But I haven't found specific answers to these questions. If I've missed the answers, go ahead and mock me or slap me up side the head, but after that - please answer:

We dock at F634 FRIHAMNEN on August 16.

1. Can we get cash at that location? Where?

2. Can we purchase bus tix at that location? Where?

Anxiously waiting to find out if I should duck.

Phoebe

1. Good question. I am not sure but I think there is an ATM inside the terminal (Magasin 2).

2. Yes. Either at the tourist kiosk (think it might be in the terminal as well) or use the ticket machine at the bus stop.

Hi,

Thank you everyone on this thread for all the information. I have a few more questions.

1. What will be the fastest way from Gamla Stan to S167 on 7/15/2016 and how much time will be needed? Our ship (regal Princess will leave at 2:00pm.

2. Is there a ferry that runs from S167 to Vasa Museum at 7:00am? Will it be faster than HOHO bus or taxi?

Hi,

Thank you everyone on this thread for all the information. I have a few more questions.

1. What will be the fastest way from Gamla Stan to S167 on 7/15/2016 and how much time will be needed? Our ship (regal Princess will leave at 2:00pm.

2. Is there a ferry that runs from S167 to Vasa Museum at 7:00am? Will it be faster than HOHO bus or taxi?

1. I think a taxi would be the fastest way, possible there might be lots of traffic at 1pm on a friday afternoon and in that case the only option is to walk.

It would take about 30 minutes to walk the 2.2km:

https://www.google.se/maps/dir/59.3227029,18.0732916/59.3187534,18.0798339/59.3155436,18.1026538/@59.3220127,18.0743302,18.09z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e2

2. The first ferry departs at 07.28 from the farther end of the quay. There will likely also be hoho boats.

HoHo buses I something I recommend NOT to use in Stockholm, very expensive and rarely goes in the most optimal order between the sights.

Also very prone to getting stuck in traffic.

Taxi could be fast but at 7 in the morning is rush hour even if many people are enjoying the summer break from work. It also depends on if you are part of a larger group travelling

together or if it's you and your family.A larger group would probably benefit from going by taxi while if you only are 2-3-4 people, HoHo boats or ferries would be a more suitable choice.

Edited by Desdichado62

1. I think a taxi would be the fastest way, possible there might be lots of traffic at 1pm on a friday afternoon and in that case the only option is to walk.

It would take about 30 minutes to walk the 2.2km:

https://www.google.se/maps/dir/59.3227029,18.0732916/59.3187534,18.0798339/59.3155436,18.1026538/@59.3220127,18.0743302,18.09z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e2

2. The first ferry departs at 07.28 from the farther end of the quay. There will likely also be hoho boats.

HoHo buses I something I recommend NOT to use in Stockholm, very expensive and rarely goes in the most optimal order between the sights.

Also very prone to getting stuck in traffic.

Taxi could be fast but at 7 in the morning is rush hour even if many people are enjoying the summer break from work. It also depends on if you are part of a larger group travelling

together or if it's you and your family.A larger group would probably benefit from going by taxi while if you only are 2-3-4 people, HoHo boats or ferries would be a more suitable choice.

Thank you Desidichado62. Can you tell me if this schedule is doable? We are a party of four. Also, any suggestions for the walk route when touring Gamla Stan and where to arrive when coming from the ABBA museum and where to pickup taxi for return to ship?

1. Take taxi or HOHO boat to Vasa museum between 7:15-7:30 and and arrive to Vasa museum by 8-8:15am. Purchase tickets for opening at 8:30am.

2. Spend maximum 2 hours at Vasa and then walk or take taxi to ABBA museum. I have pre-purchased tickets for 10:45am entrance. Leave no later than 12:00pm.

3. Take taxi to Gamla Stan, walk around and take pictures until 1-1:15pm.

4. Leave Gamla Stan via taxi and return to S167 by 1:45pm. Ship leaves at 2:00pm.

Hello,

Thank you everyone for the really useful information in the thread. My cruise ship will be docking at Nynäshamn on 4 July, and I understand the train will not run all the way between Nynäshamn and Stockholm Central that day. The Nynäshamn tourism site advises that there will be replacement buses. Would Stockholm public transport publish the timetable for these buses? If so, when would the timetable be available? Just trying to do some planning for my peace of mind...

Thanks again for helping!

deb66, it depends on the rules your cruise line have for when the passenger have to be back on the ship.

So you might need to reduce some of the time you have planned to spend at the ABBA museum.

cruisingroo, I have checked the SL website and I have not been able to find any information.

To dee66, i am an aussie living in Sweden and i think your plan sounds great. I loved the ABBA museum and Vasa museum is great too and can be done in a short time frame. Gamla stan is also fun to look around and do some shopping and take a "fika" coffee and cake. Hope you love Stockholm as much as I did. I have been in almost every city in Europe and Stockholm is one of the best in my humble opinion.

Hello,

Thank you everyone for the really useful information in the thread. My cruise ship will be docking at Nynäshamn on 4 July, and I understand the train will not run all the way between Nynäshamn and Stockholm Central that day. The Nynäshamn tourism site advises that there will be replacement buses. Would Stockholm public transport publish the timetable for these buses? If so, when would the timetable be available? Just trying to do some planning for my peace of mind...

After some googling I have found some info:

http://sl.se/sv/info/resa/forandringar/pendeltag/nynas-sommar-16//Date

https://mitti.se/dags-att-hoppa-pa-ersattningsbussen-sa-drabbas-du-av-sommarens-tagavstangningar/?tag=haninge

From July 4th, you will have to go by bus all the way to Farsta strand where you can change to subway and commuter train.

Also see this for specific time stamps/stops where and when you need to change transport:

http://sl.se/en/#/Travel/SearchTravelById/Nyn%C3%A4shamns%20station%20(Nyn%C3%A4shamn)/Djurg%C3%A5rdsbron%20(Stockholm)/9720/1100/2016-07-04%252007_30/depart/en/null/null/2,8,1,4,96,/null/null/null/null/null/false/null/0/0/null/false

In your case you have three choices from Nynäshamns station:

1.1 Bus 801 to Gullmarsplan (the bus' end destination).

1.2 From Gullmarsplan Subway Green line #19 towards Alvik. Get off at Slussen.

1.3 From Slussen, bus #76 towards Frihamnen, get off at Djurgårdsbron. 1.4 From Djurgårdsbron walk across the bridge to Vasa.

2.1 Replacement bus 35X to Farsta strand.

2.2 Commuter train 35 towards Spånga, get off at Centralstation.

2.3 Bus #69 towards Blockhusudden, get off at Djurgårdsbron.

2.4 From Djurgårdsbron walk across the bridge to Vasa.

3.1 Replacement bus 35X to Farsta strand.

3.2 Subway green line 18 towards Hässelby strand, get off at Slussen.

3.3 From Slussen, bus #76 towards Frihamnen, get off at Djurgårdsbron.

3.4 From Djurgårdsbron walk across the bridge to Vasa.

From Slussen, you can also walk across Slussen to Djurgårdsfärjan berth, go with Djurgårdsfärjan to Allmänna Gränd and walk to Vasa from there.

Edited by Desdichado62

After some googling I have found some info:

http://sl.se/sv/info/resa/forandringar/pendeltag/nynas-sommar-16//Date

https://mitti.se/dags-att-hoppa-pa-ersattningsbussen-sa-drabbas-du-av-sommarens-tagavstangningar/?tag=haninge

From July 4th, you will have to go by bus all the way to Farsta strand where you can change to subway and commuter train.

Also see this for specific time stamps/stops where and when you need to change transport:

http://sl.se/en/#/Travel/SearchTravelById/Nyn%C3%A4shamns%20station%20(Nyn%C3%A4shamn)/Djurg%C3%A5rdsbron%20(Stockholm)/9720/1100/2016-07-04%252007_30/depart/en/null/null/2,8,1,4,96,/null/null/null/null/null/false/null/0/0/null/false

In your case you have three choices from Nynäshamns station:

1.1 Bus 801 to Gullmarsplan (the bus' end destination).

1.2 From Gullmarsplan Subway Green line #19 towards Alvik. Get off at Slussen.

1.3 From Slussen, bus #76 towards Frihamnen, get off at Djurgårdsbron. 1.4 From Djurgårdsbron walk across the bridge to Vasa.

2.1 Replacement bus 35X to Farsta strand.

2.2 Commuter train 35 towards Spånga, get off at Centralstation.

2.3 Bus #69 towards Blockhusudden, get off at Djurgårdsbron.

2.4 From Djurgårdsbron walk across the bridge to Vasa.

3.1 Replacement bus 35X to Farsta strand.

3.2 Subway green line 18 towards Hässelby strand, get off at Slussen.

3.3 From Slussen, bus #76 towards Frihamnen, get off at Djurgårdsbron.

3.4 From Djurgårdsbron walk across the bridge to Vasa.

From Slussen, you can also walk across Slussen to Djurgårdsfärjan berth, go with Djurgårdsfärjan to Allmänna Gränd and walk to Vasa from there.

Thank you for the detailed information and replying so quickly too! You are very kind, much appreciated.

Hi Desdichado

I heard that Stockholm Subway has the longest art exhibit in the world.

I need your advice. This is our DIY itinerary:

Arrive on S167

[*]Booked a taxi to go to Vasa Museum

[*]afer Vasa Museum, booked another taxi to go to Gamla Stan

[*]Taxi will pick up at 2:30 PM to go back to ship. ship leaves at 4:00 PM

My question is we want to see some subway arts. Where is the best station to go and view these arts. How do I include that in my itinerary.

My cruise ship will be docking at Nynäshamn on 4 July, and I understand the train will not run all the way between Nynäshamn and Stockholm Central that day. The Nynäshamn tourism site advises that there will be replacement buses.

Have you ever had to take replacement buses when London trains are out of service?

Nynäshamn is over 22 miles from Stockholm. The road is good but if there are no trains running, that will mean a lot more traffic. The Scandinavians are a very efficient bunch but I would still be a bit worried about the time it would take, particularly as you're going to lose time changing buses/trains as well.

The cruise will be running a shuttle and I'd be inclined to take that - at least if a shuttle is delayed, the ship will wait for you. If the rail bus is delayed, they may not.

Edited by Marisawrite

deb66, it depends on the rules your cruise line have for when the passenger have to be back on the ship.

So you might need to reduce some of the time you have planned to spend at the ABBA museum.

cruisingroo, I have checked the SL website and I have not been able to find any information.

Thanks Desdichado62.

Do you have a recommendation on where we should arrive in Gamla Stan when coming from the ABBA museum?

Also where should we pickup a taxi when returning to S167 from Gamla Stan?

Any walking tour in Gamla STan that is recommended?

Thanks for all your help.

Hi Desdichado

Arrive on S167

My question is we want to see some subway arts. Where is the best station to go and view these arts. How do I include that in my itinerary.

As for the subway art, see info under Arts museums (and similar):

in this post http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49023362&postcount=2

Since you will need a ticket to get access to the stations, I would suggest that the taxi drop you off at Kungsträdgården subway station from where you go with the subway (via t-centralen) to Gamla Stan.

From Kugsträdgården;

Blue line #10 towards Hjulsta or blue line #11 towards Akalla , at T-centralen change to Green line #17 towards Skarpnäck or green line #18 towards Farsta strand.

The entire journey shouldn't take more then 8-10 minutes+time to check out the arts.

Edited by Desdichado62

As for the subway art, see info under Arts museums (and similar):

in this post http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49023362&postcount=2

Since you will need a ticket to get access to the stations, I would suggest that the taxi drop you off at Kungsträdgården subway station from where you go with the subway (via t-centralen) to Gamla Stan.

From Kugsträdgården;

Blue line #10 towards Hjulsta or blue line #11 towards Akalla , at T-centralen change to Green line #17 towards Skarpnäck or green line #18 towards Farsta strand.

The entire journey shouldn't take more then 8-10 minutes+time to check out the arts.

Thank you - so Farsta strand is the subway stop for Gamla Stan? When we get out of the subway, which part of Gamla Stan do we see. We are planning to do the walking tour.

Have you ever had to take replacement buses when London trains are out of service?

Nynäshamn is over 22 miles from Stockholm. The road is good but if there are no trains running, that will mean a lot more traffic. The Scandinavians are a very efficient bunch but I would still be a bit worried about the time it would take, particularly as you're going to lose time changing buses/trains as well.

The cruise will be running a shuttle and I'd be inclined to take that - at least if a shuttle is delayed, the ship will wait for you. If the rail bus is delayed, they may not.

We do take replacement buses when the trains are out of service in London, depending on whether the stop is serviced by another train route. However, in the UK rail works only happen during the weekend, so there is more traffic but not so much more that I would add hours to my journey.

Thanks for your reminder though and I will rethink venturing to Stockholm on our own and also look into the cruise shuttle.

Hi Desdichado

Arrive on S167

Hi there, we are not on the same ship as you (I don't think) but in any event if you go on Storytours facebook page they have some pictures as well as some info about the train stations with artwork. Hope this helps.

Hello,

It appears to be a problem with transportation between Nynashamn and Stockholm this summer. Many of us are doing tours even while trying to keep the costs down. There are two groups of us using Storytours and the cost is around $110. or less depending on the number of people in the group. There are also two people of your age in this group. If interested contact renata at this company to find out more info.

Thank you - so Farsta strand is the subway stop for Gamla Stan? When we get out of the subway, which part of Gamla Stan do we see. We are planning to do the walking tour.

No. Towards=the destination of that particular line, Gamla Stan stop is called Gamla Stan and it is the first stop after T-centralen. Farsta Strand is the end stop of that line.

Edited by Desdichado62

We do take replacement buses when the trains are out of service in London, depending on whether the stop is serviced by another train route. However, in the UK rail works only happen during the weekend, so there is more traffic but not so much more that I would add hours to my journey.

Thanks for your reminder though and I will rethink venturing to Stockholm on our own and also look into the cruise shuttle.

I agree with one of the previous posters. If you are looking for a tour that departs and returns from Nynashamn, check out StoryTours. We are a group using them in August- the price is great and you get a comprehensive tour along with free time

Here is a link to their website:

http://storytours.eu/tours/stockholm...rom-nynashamn/

Website price is 1275kr or $157, less 27% discount (promo code) = $115

Promo code: STNYNS16. The pp cost may be even less, with more people

Leta

No. Towards=the destination of that particular line, Gamla Stan stop is called Gamla Stan and it is the first stop after T-centralen. Farsta Strand is the end stop of that line.

Thank You. How far is S167 to Vasa Museum. Taxi ride time? If I request to be picked at the port at 7:45. We'll we be at the museum by 8:15?

Thank You. How far is S167 to Vasa Museum. Taxi ride time? If I request to be picked at the port at 7:45. We'll we be at the museum by 8:15?

Hi Desdichado,

Can you please help me here. we are arriving in Stockholm on Aug. 16 at Norwegian Star.

I thought our Berth would be S167 but Norwegian is telling me its Frihamnen alternative is S167.

I am trying to book a taxi and I need to tell them which port/berth they should pick us up.

How far are these berths to Vasa Museum.