debit cards vs credit cards

soonergirl15

I am afraid you are incorrect my credit union doesnt work that way I have never had a double hold on my account and it has never taken 14 days maybe you should change banks or keep more money in your account plus i have plenty of money in both of my accounts also when the real charge comes thru the cruise line is not the one still with the hold on your account it is your bank like i said already mine releases the hold the moment the charge comes thru my wife and i do this every year at least a couple of times a year and never had a problem with any holds i advise everyone to check with your bank to see what their policy is

Edited by jaluvma
addition

I am afraid you are incorrect my credit union doesnt work that way I have never had a double hold on my account and it has never taken 14 days maybe you should change banks or keep more money in your account plus i have plenty of money in both of my accounts also when the real charge comes thru the cruise line is not the one still with the hold on your account it is your bank like i said already mine releases the hold the moment the charge comes thru

errrr, you've mis-read my post. ;)

You'll see that I've accepted that your credit union doesn't work that way. What I've said is that it's not typical of banks in general - so others should be wary of the potential problem created by holds.

I don't keep a large sum in my checking account, I get better tax-free interest elsewhere. But since I have a high credit limit on my credit card & use it only as a charge card (ie automatically paid-up each month) I use that card for purchases, and that avoids the problem.

We both agree that those for whom the delayed release of holds might be a problem should check with their own bank. :)

Regards,

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

• 3 weeks later...
Ok thank you!! I was just looking on their site and the gift cards to see if that would work also. I seen where you can purchase the photo cash in advance. U guy's are a big help:)

We always use cash. When you check in to get your sea card they will ask you for the credit card you would like to use for your account. Just tell them you will be using cash and when you get on the ship go to the Customer Relations desk and tell them you want to put cash down for your account. We always start with $600 and add if we need to but we both drink.

It saves a big hassle of using a debit card or if you are running low on your available credit on your credit card.

Also, if you are going to use a card MAKE SURE you call the card company prior to the cruise to let them know you will be cruising. We made this mistake before and it was not fun.

I'm a new cruiser too. I see there are a lot of knowledgeable people here--I have a very similiar question and it directly relates here. We'll be doing a 7 day on RC. We already have $350 OBC. I'll gladly use my CC to secure the sail pass..but how much exactly would they "hold" for 2 adults? Just prefer not to have surprises :)

We have always used a debit card when cruising. Never had a problem. Last cruise all gratuities and drink packages were prepaid. Never bought anything else on ship. they never put a hold on our card. Not sure why, as previous cruises there has always been at least a $200 hold on the card. We always pay cash in ports.

Travelers Check is an awesome idea if you dont have/want a credit card. Nice thing with Travelers check, you can use them at your ports of call or back home. A but safer than cash too. Not sure hiw much they charge but ut should not be too much.

http://www.aetclocator.com/wheretobuy/landing?option=travelerscheques

Travel internationally much? Travelers cheques are often refused. Just get a separate credit card just for travel. A number of Chase cards are travel savvy including all sorts of trip insurance coverage that basically offset the cost of the card. Google "United Airlines Explorer VISA" and read the fine print. Unless you have "pre-existing conditions" (medical), this card can save you a "chunk of change."

Thank you!! We only have our debit cards so was just wondering how to work it.

If you really cannot get a credit card, you will have to use your debit card - but you will need to have a fairly substantial balance in the account which is behind that debit card - they will want to put a HOLD on the amount they reasonably think all people on your booking will run up - daily service charges, reasonably anticipated daily items.

If, in fact you like to pay in cash, then just draw a fair amount of cash from your account and deposit it upon sign in.

The fact is, if you use a debit card it will take up to a week for the hold to be cleared on the amount reserved by the ship.

There is NO good reason for not getting a credit card. If your credit is so bad that you cannot get one, you should consider not going on a cruise and using the money saved to pay debts or otherwise cure your credit problems. I'm sure that is not what you wanted to hear, but you did ask for advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all if we set up a cash account to avoid debit card holds (no credit card) can we buy obc before boarding (enough to cover what we'll spend on board) and then not put any additional cash into the account?? Also to the last poster, we are unable to get a credit card due to a bad loan over five years ago. In our country it takes seven years for bad debt to clear so it's not always current bills that people have that prevents them getting a credit card. Thanks

Hi all if we set up a cash account to avoid debit card holds (no credit card) can we buy obc before boarding (enough to cover what we'll spend on board) and then not put any additional cash into the account?? Also to the last poster, we are unable to get a credit card due to a bad loan over five years ago. In our country it takes seven years for bad debt to clear so it's not always current bills that people have that prevents them getting a credit card. Thanks

Yes, you should be able to purchase onboard credit prior to going. It should be available somewhere on the cruise line's website.

Have you also looked into a secured (prepaid) credit card? That is what I will have to do because of bad debt.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Have you also looked into a secured (prepaid) credit card? That is what I will have to do because of bad debt.

I would double check with your cruise line, some of them do not accept those.

A good suggestion - not only is it a safe and convenient way to fund your shipboard account: much better than carrying a lot of cash --- it also is a good first step in rebuilding your credit, which simply paying cash does not do.

A good suggestion - not only is it a safe and convenient way to fund your shipboard account: much better than carrying a lot of cash --- it also is a good first step in rebuilding your credit, which simply paying cash does not do.

I may have misunderstood the PP but if it is a credit card secured by a savings account then that would work (and is a good way to rebuild credit). If it is a prepaid credit card such as you may obtain at a store then it might not work.

If it is a prepaid credit card such as you may obtain at a store then it might not work.

My thoughts exactly.

As you & I have expressed on another very recent thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2349979

Those planning to use a "pre-paid debit card" should definitely check with their cruise line whether it's acceptable

Edited by John Bull

Apparently the pre-purchased OBC does not always appear immediately in your on-board account (some lines it can take a couple of days). Could make buying that sail-away cocktail tricky!

Edited by SteveH2508

Apparently the pre-purchased OBC does not always appear immediately in your on-board account (some lines it can take a couple of days). Could make buying that sail-away cocktail tricky!

Even with OBC you are still expected to secure the account with a card or cash. On NCL our OBC showed on our accounts the next day.

I never use my debit card for anything anymore. I had my checking account (which is linked to my savings account) get hacked twice via my debit card, wiping out both my checking and savings accounts. Last time someone bought 15 iPads from Best Buy online with my card information. Fortunately my credit union gave me my money back, but legally banks are under no obligation to do so.

That's why I only use my credit card now. If someone is going to make purchases with my card info, let them steal the credit card company's money, not mine. You get more protection with a credit card. And I don't pay interest because I pay it off every week. But I do earn points for flights which I use to book free flights for my cruises.

Edited by bakersdozen12

The secured credit card is not a prepaid debit card or gift card purchased from a store. You secure a credit card by paying the cc company a set amount and that becomes your credit limit. It then functions like a regular credit card that you have to pay each month when you use it. They are designed to help people with no credit or bad credit establish good credit. Be sure to read the fine print and compare fees.

Debit cards gave two strikes against them 1. The dreaded hold. 2. As a class debit cards gave a higher liability for fraud. You could get stuck with more of the risk if it is stolen. With credit cards, just report the theft, it's the issuers liability. With a debit card, you can have a "deductible". How much that is depends on the issuer.

Not all countries have that option. We don't so that's a shame

That's a new one on me too.

But I don't entirely understand how it's different to a pre-paid debit card. :confused:

If you can only spend what you've loaded, then I don't see how it can be classed as a "credit card".

Mebbe more a more-permanent track record, easier to load, etc, but spending your own money rather than money borrowed from the card supplier.

But I don't entirely understand how it's different to a pre-paid debit card. :confused:

If you can only spend what you've loaded, then I don't see how it can be classed as a "credit card".

Mebbe more a more-permanent track record, easier to load, etc, but spending your own money rather than money borrowed from the card supplier.

A secured credit card is just that: it is issued in your name, unlike many pre-paid debit cards. You will be billed as with any regular credit card, and are expected to pay the amount due, (the difference is that you have secured a specific dollar amount of potential charges by having a hold against that amount). To the merchant (in this context, the cruise line) there is no difference between the secured card and a regular card.

You also enjoy the protections enjoyed by credit card users as opposed to the lack thereof with debit cards.

What you secure the card with is your credit limit. So if your limit is $500 and you charge $200 you get a statement at the end of the billing period. You will have a minimum you have to pay or you can pay the entire balance of what you charge. You get a bill just like a regular card. Month to month charges must be paid, they are not paid from the amount you secured the card with. Here are some of the top companies offering secured credit cards.

https://www.creditkarma.com/creditcards/explore?pubKey=RFSVDJ8NOUC11YT1&categoryID=3&pgsz=0&adposition=1t3