Zika virus disney cruise

Kimmer727

Bring your bug spray.....

Mosquitos have never been a problem on Castaway during the day. That doesn't mean that they don't exist, but we've never been bothered by them (and I hate the little monsters). I don't know what DCL does about insect control (if anything). But as the virus spreads, it is only logical to assume it will hit the ship's locations.

Bring your bug spray.....

Mosquitos have never been a problem on Castaway during the day. That doesn't mean that they don't exist' date=' but we've never been bothered by them (and I hate the little monsters). I don't know what DCL does about insect control (if anything). But as the virus spreads, it is only logical to assume it will hit the ship's locations.[/quote']

Thats true! As I think of all our visits to Castaway Cay I never remember any mosquitos. The only problem we ever had was on one visit the ocean had sea lice and we got eaten alive! But they come and go randomly. In fact on that trip we went to Castaway twice, two days apart and had the sea lice incident the first time and they were completely gone by the second visit. The Disney Concierge told us its just random based on ocean conditions.

• 2 months later...

Our cruise is in August and we received this letter today from DCL

We appreciate you booking a Disney Cruise Line vacation.

As you may be aware, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has recently issued a travel alert for travelers to specific countries in the Caribbean and Latin America due to the Zika virus, a mosquito related illness.

The precautions recommended by the CDC are similar to those to prevent other mosquito borne illnesses like dengue fever, chikungunya, and West Nile virus and include wearing long-sleeved shirts and long pants and using insect repellents containing DEET to avoid mosquito bites. While the most common symptoms are usually mild and include fever, rash, joint pain and pink eye, pregnant women should pay special attention to the travel alert and take necessary precaution to avoid mosquito bites.

Additional information can be found under the Travelers Health section of the CDC website at http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices.

Should you have any questions related to your sailing, please feel free to call us at 800-939-2784 or 407-566-7000.

Sincerely,

The Cast and Crew

Disney Cruise Line

According to current CDC page these are the areas of concern in the Caribbean:

The Caribbean

Currently includes: Aruba; Barbados; Bonaire; Cuba; Curaçao; Dominica; Dominican Republic; Guadeloupe; Haiti; Jamaica; Martinique; the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, a US territory; Saint Lucia; Saint Martin; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Sint Maarten; Trinidad and Tobago; US Virgin Islands