Following the Lewis and Clark trail

Rebel2386

• 2 months later...

Anyone know how long it is from the end of the cruise in Vancouver to PDX?

Also were Taxis available at the docking location?

Thinking of a fall cruise on Amer Empress

Any washer & dryer on the ship yet?

Thanks

Thanks

Hi

We took the cruise starting in Vancouver so cannot answer the question about taxi availability. But I can tell you there are no washers or dryers on the ship. The ship is beautiful and we loved the cruise. I wrote a detailed review on CC about our experience. We have cruised quite a bit on larger ships and I think we are now spoiled for the smaller, more personal experience.

I would do this cruise again.

Thanks

If you mean literally PDX (the airport) about 15mins plus traffic - and DO NOT LET THE DRIVER TAKE I5 (it's a shorter distance but ALWAYS takes longer than I205, plus the bridge needs raised for ships occasionally - all of which means extra coin for the cabbie whereas the 205 bridge does not have a lift).

If you mean somewhere in downtown Portland I'd ballpark double that but with even more randomness due to traffic (you'll be driving in with all the commuters from Vancouver WA the entire route). If for some bizarre reason there are no cabs, there are plenty who will show within minutes of calling (plus Uber, Lyft).

Personally I'd recommend as long an extra stay in Portland post-cruise as your vacation allowance can handle - it's a truly awesome city.

If you mean literally PDX (the airport) about 15mins plus traffic - and DO NOT LET THE DRIVER TAKE I5 (it's a shorter distance but ALWAYS takes longer than I205, plus the bridge needs raised for ships occasionally - all of which means extra coin for the cabbie whereas the 205 bridge does not have a lift).

Personally I'd recommend as long an extra stay in Portland post-cruise as your vacation allowance can handle - it's a truly awesome city.

Thanks I was thinking of times to book a flight home

I would have no idea which the route the taxi would take us ;)

Guess I could always say go on I205

On the Amer Queesn we were CVG at 8:30 am for a noon flight would like to avoid the long wait again :D

Hi

But I can tell you there are no washers or dryers on the ship. The ship is beautiful and we loved the cruise.

Thank you

was hoping they found a place to add the washer/dryer on the ship

It came in handy on the Amer Queen trip

Yes we prefer smaller ships ..never again on anything with more than 1500 pax :D

Hi all, we are just off the American Empress, Vancouver to Clarkston. First I want to say that the crew was phenomenal and the entertainment enjoyable!

To possibly help you that are going on the Vancouver to Clarkston, here goes:

1. Mount St. Helens Tour

Be prepared for a long bus tour. Interesting tour of Portland, then long bus ride to 1st stop for lunch. Enough time to eat (lunch was soup, salad, and a make it yourself sandwich plus ice cream) Not worth it IMHO. Time enough to enjoy the scenery at the lodge. Then next stop was the lake made by the volcano. NOT enough time to enjoy at all. very rushed. Then the Visitor's Center. Seriously, not enough time. This is where we should have spent most of our time! This is where the rangers are giving their talks about Mt. St. Helens and the films describing what happened as well as the best views. We had less than 1 hour there. Then, it is approx a 2 hour plus drive back to the AE. AQSC really needs to rethink this excursion IMHO. Best to arrive a day early, rent a car and see everything on your own.

2. Lewis and Clark Experience

Was good. Our guide kept us quite entertained on the bus ride The Cape Disappointment Visitor Center was educational and we saw eagles and comorants. Nothing noting that it was where The Guardian was filmed. Fort Clapsop was good also, as they had a ranger lead us thru it and explain everything.

3. The first afternoon in The Dalles, we just did the HOHO. The Columbia Gorge Museum was only interesting to me for the raptors on view.

The Fort Dalles Museum was interesting and be sure to go across the street to a old homestead/barn tour. Was free and docents took you on a tour and explained the way of life back then. Then the Winery. They had samplings of 4 reds and 1 white for $7. Many boat people there enjoying! As for the downtown shopping, there was none! At least we did not find it. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

4. Multnomah Falls and Vista House

Definitely worth the $49 pp. First you make 2 panoramic stops (2nd one is the Vista House), then drive-by's of several falls. As someone else said, best to sit on door side of bus. Then Multnomah Falls. Definitely not enough time there. We had time to quickly walk up to the bridge seen on photographs, take pictures, and walk back down, that was it. no way to shop at the gift store and walk up to the bridge. Again, be prepared to spend most of your time on the bus.

5. Richland. Arriving in the afternoon, we did have time to go to the Reach on the HOHO. Well worth it and very educational about the Tri-Cities and their part in the

Manhatten project. But, only takes an hour to hour and a half tops. Much smaller than anticipated. Again we found no downtown shopping.

The second day in Richland, we did the Sacajawea Park. nice park but the Sacajawea museum will take only 30 minutes tops to go thru.

The people arriving back from the Wine and Spirits on Red Mountain tour seemed to be very happy! They reported the wine was flowing freely on their stops!

We did not meet anyone who did the Hanford B-Reactor tour so cannot comment there.

6. Hell's Canyon Scenic Jet Boat tour. My husband loved it, I did not. There is only some bumpiness to the ride. No getting wet except slight spray to those sitting in the back outside. About an hour boat ride to get to Hell's Canyon. Canyon is interesting but scenery does not change so became boring quick (to me!) The stop is very short. It takes awhile to unload everyone off the boat, you go to a barn-like shelter, get a cookie and a drink, use the porta-potty, then get right back on boat. We did see deer, waterfowl, and big-horn sheep. The guide also stopped and explained the geologic formations and showed us petroglyphs.

What I learned-- prebook your premium shore excursions, they sell out quickly. You have 36 hours to cancel prior to the excursion to get a refund.

Bring a swimsuit. In Richland, you are docked in a park where there is swimming and paddleboards, jet skis and kayaks to rent.

• 2 weeks later...

I really appreciate the info sharing.

Can anyone express a bit more about the dining?

What was your preference.....the Grill or the MDR.....for dinner?

Was there a Buffet-style option for dinner?

Were there two shows, one for each dining time, or was there only one show?

Is the early seating jammed full, and the late seating less crowded?

7:45 pm is wayyyyy too late for me to eat, but I wasn't given a choice.

Any thoughts on how easy it is to change your dining time once onboard?

TIA!

Hi Wishlist5,

I feel your pain as we had the 7:45 MDR dining time too. You definitely can go to the 1st seating and ask if they have room for you to dine early that night. Several of the people we met did that and had no problem getting in.

There is no night time buffet, only breakfast and lunch. There is room service but my husband refused to utilize it so cannot help there. The room service menu is in the cabin.

As for the River Grill at night. When you are checking in for boarding, you have the opportunity to sign up for 2 nights dining there. This is very popular and few times were left by the time we signed up. It is tablecloth service tho a tad less formal than the MDR. This is where the lobster tails and filet mignon are served. Yes, you can order both!:D There were other things on the menu but that was all we were interested in:o The menu does not change in the River Grill. On the 2 evenings we ate there, the room was 1/2 empty. I asked the server why when so many people wanted to eat there. She replied that there were only 2 servers, so could handle only so many tables each and provide good service. So there is our answer.

The are 2 shows, one for each seating.

yes, the 1st seating MDR is much fuller than the 2nd.

We did not try to change our seating as we did not have any luck doing that on the Queen. However, truth is, the 7:45 worked out well for us. Here is why. You usually return to the boat around 4:30 or 5 pm. Cool off, get a snack and drink in the Paddlewheel Lounge, then get changed and ready to go to the 1st show. The show usually ends around 7 pm, then you go get your HOHO tickets for the next day and mingle with the other 7:45 passengers waiting to enter the MDR!

Hope this helps some.

Cruzjunky,

Your posts have been very informative! Thanks for taking the time.

I will try not to let the LATE time affect my enjoyment of a much needed vacation. I have read about this issue in a few reviews. Perhaps, AQSC should look at how to make this better, since customers are paying a premium price.

Honestly, I cannot imagine eating so late in the evening, then basically, going to bed on a full stomach.

One solace will be that the Dining Room will not be crowded at the second seating, and that the first Show will have plenty of seating!

Anyone else have any experiences about (Breakfast, Lunch, or) Dinner?

Would love to hear them!

Happy Cruising to all :)

Initially I was unhappy with the late seating as well, but it worked out just fine. Since you usually arrive back close to the first seating time, you would be rushed to freshen up and change for dinner. It was lovely going to the Paddlewheel Lounge and listening to the piano player and enjoy a light snack or popcorn with a drink, then go to the first show. The shows were great. The food is good in both the River Grill and the Main Dining room. I am a steak and lobster person so I was in heaven. I preferred the main dining room for breakfast and lunch. The food was excellent and not overwhelming, but I am not much for buffets. I prefer to be served rather than juggle a plate and go back to find a drink. After all, it's vacation!

• 3 weeks later...

We just back from our first steamboat trip. We traveled on the Queen from St. Louis to St. Paul. The Mississippi was awesome and we enjoyed the small towns and the HOHO's were a nice addition. The ship was delightful with excellent evening entertainment and the crew did a great job. We liked the cruise so much that we immediately booked the Columbia River cruise. I've appreciated the suggestions so far and looking forward to meeting anyone joining us in October of next year. And if anyone has any questions about the cruise we just took please let me know and I'll answer them as best I can.

• 2 weeks later...
We just back from our first steamboat trip. We traveled on the Queen from St. Louis to St. Paul. The Mississippi was awesome and we enjoyed the small towns and the HOHO's were a nice addition. The ship was delightful with excellent evening entertainment and the crew did a great job. We liked the cruise so much that we immediately booked the Columbia River cruise. I've appreciated the suggestions so far and looking forward to meeting anyone joining us in October of next year. And if anyone has any questions about the cruise we just took please let me know and I'll answer them as best I can.

We're on the 10/22/17 American Empress cruise! I've just started a roll call for all 2017 Columbia river cruises - please join us on the River Cruise Roll Call thread!