First Trip to Europe - What to Wear

tlund

We will be going on a river cruise on the Danube late October. This will be my first trip to Europe. I'm trying to figure out what type of wardrobe I am going to need for this trip. I want to be comfortable for all of the touring but I don't want to stand out like a sore thumb or an "ugly American". Any do's or don'ts for me. I am a women in my early 50's. Not too fashionable at home. Like comfort.

By October along the Danube, you should definitely have cooler fall temperatures. This will probably eliminate the need for capris/shorts/sundresses as day time wear which sometimes leads to a heated discussion. Overall, I think I would tend to wear stylish jeans or black slacks during the day and be prepared to layer with short and long sleeve T-Shirts, cardigans and potentially a jacket. I would also bring along a couple of comfortable pairs of walking shoes. I prefer a leather shoe for this.

The thing is, in many cases, you will stick out like a tourist because you are one. However, in general, Europeans wear fewer bright colors and their clothes are more tailored in general. White tennis shoes are also not worn as daytime footwear. They do wear jeans and look quite elegant, so I would not discount wearing denim. I tend to shop at places like White House Black Market for clothes that would blend in.

After many years living in Rome and Munich/Augsburg I can confirm you will have a hard fight not being identified as a tourist. Just be a good tourist and the locals will be happy. Yes, by October you are into the Fall season when it can be distinctly chilly or pleasantly warm on a non-windy sunny day. So layers. And the rains can begin anytime between October and January. Have an umbrella of a size you can use in crowds if the ship doesn't supply them. A rain jacket with a light fleece lining or take a pullover or sweater if you have a chilly, rainy day to pair up. I would skip corduroy trousers or jeans because once wet they take forever to dry. Denim is fine especially as many European women love their dark wash jeans. Invest in a good pair of walking shoes. These can be atheletic or trainers in darker colors if you will be doing more walking than bus tours. If you are doing the southern Danube you might want to look at something that leans towards a hiking low boot. I would take a hat that stays put but avoid the baseball style if possible. Your rain jacket should have a hood or the hat should be a rain style. You can save space and pack fewer sweaters if you take along a light weight silk underwear top to layer under them. The silk is nice when it is chilly but won't be overly warm if the sun is shining. Having one on will avoid needing to clean your sweaters as often or let you pack fewer.

If you Google cities along the river closer to your cruise and check local weather you can do some last minute tweaking of your wardrobe. The further south on the river you go the better idea it is to wear simpler earrings and maybe scarves instead of necklaces if eating dinner ashore after dark. Most center cities are very safe but with the current influx of refugees better to play down the bling or pull up your coat's collar when walking back to your boat.

Thank you so much for the advice. The layers are going to be a great idea and probably would allow for more room in my suitcase because I can double up days on sweaters. I am so looking forward to this trip and want to be respectful of the countries we are visiting. Don't intend to bring much bling. Want to make things simple.

I also always pack a scarf that can cover my hair for any orthodox churches or mosques that you might want to visit at the last minute. Although with mosques always ask if non-members are allowed as many are Muslim only. If you need language help if out exploring on your own head toward teenage boys or girls who are normally plugged into some device and many of the younger crowd either are required to take a second language or learn English for Facebook and other social media.

These questions always seem to cause a divide between those who say you'll look like a tourist no matter what, so why bother, and those who feel it's worth an effort. I'm in the latter camp. But do be assured that even if you dress like a tourist, you'll likely be with a group of other tourists and no one will bat an eye unless your behavior is in some way disrespectful (or you go around wearing political statement t-shirts, or the like....)!

To blend in, definitely take darker colors in late October. Europeans will be wearing clothes for fall/winter. Full length pants in darker colors, dark jeans, etc. Plus layers on top. My European travel tends to be late fall usually and I will generally wear a nice dressy t-shirt or a blouse with a cardigan over it (when in a city) or a lightweight fleece jacket if I'll be out in the open somewhere like an archaeological site. I have a lightweight completely rainproof jacket with a hood that I bring along for rain, it is also good over the fleece to block out wind.

If you'll be somewhere with really cold weather at that time of year, a packable lightweight down jacket is a good idea, and these have been VERY popular in Europe for the last several seasons. Try to get one that's water resistant.

Dark shoes work best. If you like boots and want to bring them, they are also very popular in Europe. Whatever shoes you bring for walking, be very sure that they are both comfortable and supportive. My #1 recommendation is to bring two pairs of walking shoes. Nothing is worse than bringing only one pair and having them get soaking wet, or the sole comes off or they aren't as comfortable as you thought -- and you have no spare. :eek:

Attached is the capsule wardrobe from my river cruise. It was a little later in the year and therefore colder (we did Christmas markets, Nuremberg - Basel, Nov/Dec 2014).

However - all I would do is change my outerwear to a lighter jacket (but still water resistant and insulated) and switch out cashmere sweaters for cotton or silk. Maybe merino -depends on the forecast ;-)

I brought a merino black dress (I wore during the day and for dinner) but for warmer temps, I have a silk Eileen Fisher in a similar shape, and also a couple of ponte options I love for travel (I bring them on all my business trips) I happen to like wearing dresses - very few other people on our cruise ever wore a dress or skirt - that's just my personal style. I really packed light for this trip - and so did my husband:p Black chicos traveler pants, black mountain hardwear water resistant pants, and skinny black cords. All worked with my leather Keen knee high boots or my haglofs goretex walking shoes - both did great on cobbles and with all the walking. I did bring privo mary janes for on board and if we did a quick trip - not a lot of walking.

River Cruise capsule.pdf

If you don't want to be identified as a tacky tourist, avoid the following:

• shorts and capris
  • loose, baggy clothes
  • loud/bright colors and prints
  • sneakers that look like athletic shoes
  • fanny packs
  • baseball caps/visors
  • t-shirts that advertise all your past vacation venues

For practical purposes and with the weather in mind, I'd stick to dark, neutral colors, and layers. Look for a stylish all-weather jacket and carry a collapsible umbrella. Use a cross body or messenger style bag as a purse; it's safer than a shoulder bag and less touristy than a backpack or fanny pack.

Attached is the capsule wardrobe from my river cruise. It was a little later in the year and therefore colder (we did Christmas markets, Nuremberg - Basel, Nov/Dec 2014).

However - all I would do is change my outerwear to a lighter jacket (but still water resistant and insulated) and switch out cashmere sweaters for cotton or silk. Maybe merino -depends on the forecast ;-)

I brought a merino black dress (I wore during the day and for dinner) but for warmer temps, I have a silk Eileen Fisher in a similar shape, and also a couple of ponte options I love for travel (I bring them on all my business trips) I happen to like wearing dresses - very few other people on our cruise ever wore a dress or skirt - that's just my personal style. I really packed light for this trip - and so did my husband:p Black chicos traveler pants, black mountain hardwear water resistant pants, and skinny black cords. All worked with my leather Keen knee high boots or my haglofs goretex walking shoes - both did great on cobbles and with all the walking. I did bring privo mary janes for on board and if we did a quick trip - not a lot of walking.

I like your choices:)...those 4 tops on the first line are items I would

bring with me too.

Edited by Lois R

Anyone going to the "tourist" spots will be a tourist! Can't get around that! Bring what is comfortable...you don't need an entirely different wardrobe from your normal clothes!

Not necessarily true. In many towns in Europe, you have the "tourist" sites mixed in with "everyday" places and everyone mixes. Now, if you are in a tour group with 20-50 of your cruise buddies, then you do stick out. But you can "thin the herd" with regard to pickpockets by trying to not dress like a "toorist" and make the pickpockets look for easier pickings within the herd.

You don't need a special wardrobe - just pack what cruisemom/hoyaheel have stated.

I found that darker neutral colors work best in Europe, esp black and greys. European women sometimes have a splash of color in a scarf. Even if you don't agree with the necessity of trying to fit in as a local, this works well when packing. I have my t-shirt only for workouts at the ship's gym. If you travel to Europe at least once a year, it is a good idea to think this through. I remember being in Rome and feeling I was the only women around who had a "colorful" top. The rest of my outfit was black, but even my turquoise shirt seemed too much.

Edited by Markanddonna

those 4 tops on the first line are items I would

bring with me too.

Usually my "base layers" are just representational - I'll choose between short or long sleeve, I have some coolmax, some merino, some cuddl dud layers I'll pick among depending on the expected forecast. And the colors all go with the sweaters & scarves so I can pretty much mix & match with abandon:D

Love the suggestions. I think my closet will accommodate what to pack, as opposed to having to go shopping. Quick question, what type of bag would be appropriate for walking around? My cross body bag is big enough for wallet, paperwork and some other miscellaneous items. However, if I carry an umbrella and maybe shed some layers/scarves, I'd have no bag to put it in. I also have one of those husbands that keeps handing me stuff to put in my bag. Obviously a backpack would work but I understand backpacks are very "American".

I'm not suggesting you pay their prices but if you look at Coach online their Messenger or Saddle bags with a detachable cross body strap type styles would work well. And many European men now travel with a one shouldered pack much as American men do. I'd check Amazon or the major department stores for something much less expensive.

I agree with the darker colors especially with a scarf. I guess I meant you will not be seen as a local without a lot of work and the right body type. North Americans tend to be taller than the average European and we have our own ingrained ideas of cultural traits that most never think of until they are suddenly surrounded by another cultural group. Discovering this is half the reason most travel. We like to see how others live as well as seeing the sites.

Along with Cuddleduds you might try Whispersilks.com for lightweight, silk T shirts for warmth and as sweater layers. And they are easy to hand wash and dry quickly or throw in a machine if they are available.

Love the suggestions. I think my closet will accommodate what to pack, as opposed to having to go shopping. Quick question, what type of bag would be appropriate for walking around? My cross body bag is big enough for wallet, paperwork and some other miscellaneous items. However, if I carry an umbrella and maybe shed some layers/scarves, I'd have no bag to put it in. I also have one of those husbands that keeps handing me stuff to put in my bag. Obviously a backpack would work but I understand backpacks are very "American".

The issue with a backpack isn't just that it is (certainly) a giveaway that you are a tourist, it's also a magnet for pickpockets -- they will open the zippers if you wear it behind you, and if you should put it down for a minute because you don't want to wear it while you're eating lunch, let's say, you may find it whisked away.

I'd look for a good, lightweight, larger-sized crossbody bag. I swear by the Kipling line -- by some magic of design, they seem to look smaller than they really are, because they can hold a lot. I use the Europa model and have been known to pack it with: small wallet, sunglasses, small guidebook or pages of notes, camera (pocket size), Kindle, water bottle, and a few assorted odds and ends including a foldable hairbrush, a small pill bottle, packet of kleenex (also serves as emergency TP) etc.

I do not use an umbrella, I prefer my lightweight rain jacket. Umbrellas are difficult to maneuver with when it's windy or when you are on a busy city street (you end up unwittingly poking passersby). And I can even roll up said rain jacket and it too goes into the purse if not needed.

I'd suggest a Longchamp Pliage large tote, which folds up nicely. Also invest in a packable down jacket. Here's one I can highly recommend:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/search?keyword=32+degree+packable+down+puffer+with+hood

We just returned from a cruise. When we left Boston it was 7 degrees and that down jacket was plenty warm. It compressed and fit in the pouch that comes with it. I bought it in black, which seems to be sold out at Macy's.

I also do a capsule wardrobe and do not bring anything that can't be worn with other items. We cruised with carry-on's and I still overpacked!

Enjoy planning for your trip!

• 2 weeks later...

All of the suggestions so far are wonderful! I recommend checking out http://www.journeywoman.com for their "What to Wear Where" posts from women all over the world.

For walking shoes I love the SAS brand of shoe - sober colors (black, tan), choice of smooth or suede leather, and super comfortable for all-day walking. Not the best looking shoe, but very unobtrusive when worn with dark-colored jeans or trousers.

For bags, check out Magellan's or Travel Smith. Pac Safe and Baggalini both make very nice small cross-body bags.

I hope you have a wonderful time!

Hi, I actually posted photos of what I packed here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2159973

That trip was in late spring, but to cooler locations, when I travel in late fall, I add a long grey cashmere sweater & gloves.

Regarding bags, I have a small bagalleni (sp?) cross body bag that's big enough to fit maps, guides, a water bottle on the outside pocket, I always have the main zipper attached to the metal O-ring of the strap with a mini carbine clip, & my cash & credit cards are inside another zipped compartment.

I know that some people aren't fans of backpacks, but I love my old leather backpack! the outside actually ties down, so it's not easy to get into, then there are hidden zipper compartments inside too, I've felt very safe when traveling with it... if I'm alone on a train or bus I wear it in from of me, otherwise, when with DH, we watch one another's backs, so to say. :)

Have a great trip, & stay comfortable. :)

If baseball caps scream American on a European trip, what would you recommend for my follically-challenged DH who needs headgear protection?

This is what my husband wears, he also has a beige Panama hat for really hot weather...he's been known to wear a USC golf hat & it's fine with me. :) He's got plenty of hair, both of us just try to avoid sun on the face.

IMG_0143_zps3e53eeef.jpg

If baseball caps scream American on a European trip, what would you recommend for my follically-challenged DH who needs headgear protection?

My husband (also mostly bald) has so many lovely hats!!! His favorites are Tilley - he has summer and winter options.

He has at least these I can remember off the top of my head - Classic Winter, and a version of the LTM6 (not sure if it's this exact one, but it has the ventilation)

Our trips are usually cold (or at least shoulder) season so he has a lot of goretex too. My favorite is a goretex + wool flat cap (with convertible ear flaps!!) I found at Sierra Trading Post.

Can't see the winter version but this is a summer version (nylon & goretex, not the wool) of the flat cap.

At home he wears straw hats but we don't pack those (might buy one in Singapore before our Asia cruise in the fall). We also both have sun hats and rain hats that are more casual, but we'll wear if necessary - neither of us like umbrellas in city streets (we have goretex hats from Outdoor Research and Ex Officio)

And for the winter trips, we'll also throw in a fleece beanie for warmth if needed.

Edited by Hoyaheel

My husband (also mostly bald) has so many lovely hats!!! His favorites are Tilley - he has summer and winter options.

He has at least these I can remember off the top of my head - Classic Winter, and a version of the LTM6 (not sure if it's this exact one, but it has the ventilation)

Our trips are usually cold (or at least shoulder) season so he has a lot of goretex too. My favorite is a goretex + wool flat cap (with convertible ear flaps!!) I found at Sierra Trading Post.

Can't see the winter version but this is a summer version (nylon & goretex, not the wool) of the flat cap.

At home he wears straw hats but we don't pack those (might buy one in Singapore before our Asia cruise in the fall). We also both have sun hats and rain hats that are more casual, but we'll wear if necessary - neither of us like umbrellas in city streets (we have goretex hats from Outdoor Research and Ex Officio)

And for the winter trips, we'll also throw in a fleece beanie for warmth if needed.

I like a man in proper hat, NOT a baseball hat. So many good options out there! Adds a touch of class to a man ;) Me - I am a hat person. I have my own hats - a nice white classic Panama-style hat that goes with me in the warmer time. I have a nice big-brimmed beach hat that I bought from J. Peterman years ago - a classic lifeguard style. I have a couple felt hats that come out from Fall to early Spring. And, I have a plethora of toques to choose from in the Winter. I leave my baseball hats to working in the yard, walking the dog, trail running, or camping (OK, also running out to the market…).

One day, I'd LOVE to be able to walk into a Borsalino store in Rome and walk out with one of their hats!!!

I'm trying to figure out what I want to pack for myself for our Asia cruise. I have a great packable straw/paper sun hat, but it lacks a chin strap. My sun hats and rain hats that do have chin straps are more brightly colored than I might want. Or black, which I don't really want in the tropical zone!