1st time cruiser and 1st time in miami

cakelady76

This will be our 1st cruise ever going in oct 2016 6 days western carribean with carnival. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on where to stay in miami and things to do we are going 2 days before our cruise to enjoy miami. Thanks for all your help.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I've sailed out of Miami 5 times and never stayed the same place twice! It is good you are coming in a day or two early. While most people prefer Fort Lauderdale or Port Canaveral, I love sailing out of Miami. Check out the portofmiamiwebcam.com to see your ship and other ships.

Where to stay will be a function of your interests & your budget. I would not stay by the airport because there isn't much to do there.

If $$ is a consideration we have always had luck with Hotwire & the name your own price feature of Priceline although in full disclosure the only bad hotel we ever got was through Hotwire & on Collins Avenue in Miami Beach. The Ocean Spray. It wasn't dirty or unsafe it just was less than advertised & in no way a 3 star property. Most of the time, like last weekend in NYC we are pleasantly surprised.

As for what to do: check out Miami beach, stroll Lincoln Road, perhaps go to the Miami Zoo.

Whatever you do be sure to post on the Florida Departures Board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=495

With that said we love Miami and I am an active contributor on that board.

Here is a list of hotels. They represent different price points. All are in downtown Miami which I recommend.

Intercontinental Hotel

Marriott Marquis

Hyatt

Hamton Inn

Holiday Inn Bayside

JW Marriott

I can recommend more but this is a good start.

From each of these hotels you can take a taxi over to South Beach. From there you can walk the area by the beach and even the board walk and you can visit Lincoln Road.

Keith