Comparing Princess and Celebrity

Bimmer09

Hi Norris. Using your comparison with the Ruby,I've cancelled my HAL Alaska cruise for 2017, and booked aft balcony #B755 on the Ruby. I was already booked on the Silhouette for 12/17 Southern Caribbean.Thank you for the detailed info on the Ruby.

Uh, no, self-service laundry is not free. I believe it is about $3 for wash and $3 for dry. 20 minutes attention to the laundry is pretty small on a 10 day cruise, when it enables you to cut your luggage almost in half. We find it especially convenient on longer cruises. Definitely advantage Princess.

We have an 11 day X cruise booked and I'm really concerned about packing.

Thanks Rachel and Jim for pointing out that the laundry machines are like any laundromat and need money. $6 seems fair for fresh clean clothes.

And while I am at it thanks to everyone chiming in and informing each other.

I prefer that to me doing a monologue. We're all here to learn something which is what makes CC so great.

Cheers all!

Norris

Edited by Bimmer09

Hi Norris. Using your comparison with the Ruby,I've cancelled my HAL Alaska cruise for 2017, and booked aft balcony #B755 on the Ruby. I was already booked on the Silhouette for 12/17 Southern Caribbean.Thank you for the detailed info on the Ruby.

Princess knows Alaska! Well done. Were they offering any packages and OBC?

What's the itinerary?

You'll see more of her as I wind along...

Norris

When we sailed in the Silhouette, we got to the point we could hardly stand to eat in the MDR because it was so loud...

Luckily we were in an alcove of sorts on the upper deck where the din was subdued.

Just noticed your signature with those Azamara sailings....

I stepped onto my balcony when we were anchoring in Sorrento on the Ocean Princess and saw one of her sisters leaving her overnight berth.

September 25th 2014

15662149032_09380b5314_b.jpg

I see you went to Malta too- isn't Valletta harbor a dazzler?

Norris

Yes, X's MDR can be quite loud. We prefer the smaller and more intimate MDR venues on P.

The MDR's on X, M class ships have an even greater WOW factor with a two deck high glass wall overlooking the wake of the ship. Just another reason why we prefer an M class ship to an S class.

Yes that aft wall with a view is enticing.

Norris

Luckily we were in an alcove of sorts on the upper deck where the din was subdued.

Just noticed your signature with those Azamara sailings....

I stepped onto my balcony when we were anchoring in Sorrento on the Ocean Princess and saw one of her sisters leaving her overnight berth.

September 25th 2014

15662149032_09380b5314_b.jpg

I see you went to Malta too- isn't Valletta harbor a dazzler?

Norris

Ahhhhh....that's my most favorite ship. 👍 🤗 😎 Thank you for the picture. We'll be back on her in August.

Malta is a fabulous harbor. We've been there on the Journey and the Silhouette. There's so much to do, Malta is an easy port to repeat.

Edited by midwestchick

Each ship I am discussing has areas where you can pay to relax. One of them can pretty much guarantee some quiet too.

When we board a Princess Grand class such as the Ruby my first order of business is NOT to go to our room, which is ready, but instead dash up to the upper decks to a place called the Sanctuary. This is a quiet members only area for relaxation but it comes with a price of $40 a day which comes down to $30 a day each if you book for the week (which we usually do unless, like on the Emerald we are going to be off the ship most days) It's ideal in the Caribbean. It's open from 8 to 5.30 and you can buy a morning or an afternoon for $20 if that's all you want and there is availability.

It's forward under the mast. Stairs lead down to this swimming pool which is not members only but doesn't draw a crowd. It has a lap resistance machine you can turn on and annoy the people who want to nap.

18089007501_5c0fc98f70_b.jpg

(photo taken on Caribbean Princess)

As you can see it's always crowded and noisy. BTW it's adults only.

20782166722_9583414876_b.jpg

You get to pick your seats and they remain yours for the week. There is a minimum of 3 "Serenity Stewards" to bring you infused water drinks and free spa snacks (wraps, salads etc). They will go get you drinks from a bar or food from the grill but as you are sending them off the premises there's a $3 fee. They'll need your card to pay for the drinks. If a puff of wind blows up they will scurry over with blankets. Need music- they will bring you an MP3 player with relaxing music.

Hungry at 3.30? Don't worry Afternoon tea will be served at your lounger-and I'll show you what I mean by Afternoon Tea later in the comparison.

The Sanctuary has a canvas roof with gaps in it so rain and wind can come in here and there. If the day is a wash-out there will be a refund to your account.

It is quiet and a great place to nap on a big overstuffed lounger.

20797087351_2a22ba882e_b.jpg

Carol likes to relax. Is that so wrong?

20167480914_1cf4e42a35_b.jpg

Prices usually double in Glacier Bay when it fills more with people wanting that high up forward view. Hot chocolate is served. A waiter will also appear with Irish coffees and such (not free).

The two tents are used by Spa Ladies (pretty English girls mostly) to give massages, including those for couples- very NOT FREE)

16236509438_2455ae0f28_b.jpg

The genial manager stops by on Formal evening to ask if there is anything he can do for us. I tell him there's a seagull casting a shadow on me from above.

He gets a rifle and shoots it. "Will there be anything else you require sir?" Nope!

15807230193_285aab672d_b.jpg

Next...the Alcoves.

Hi Norris. No extra perks unfortunately. Only for 2016. I will be watching for 2017 perks. Itinerary is inside passage from R/T Seattle, and Glacier Nat'l Park.Juno, Skagway, Ketchikan, Victoria. Can't wait.

Mel

I love those ports. You must pick your excursions when they become available on the Princess Personalizer. Those ports have dazzling ways to spend a day and some money.

If you have some nice weather you must book an Ultimate Balcony Dinner-you'll see one coming up way later in this review. You can thank me when you get home. I'll show one we did sailing the inside passage just for you.

I've never sailed from Seattle but we have been there a few times to go to the Opera. We stay at Inn at the Market which is at Pikes Place and 30 yards from the original Starbucks and a great place that sells Russian savory snacks. There's also a great Irish pub with Irish food called Kells.

Norris

We (me and hubby [in our late 30's/early 40's] and my parents [late 60's]) sailed on the Silhouette in April 2015 (Eastern Caribbean) and LOVED the food in the MDR. Every night (other than my standard shrimp cocktail and Caesar salad) we ordered something off the changing (left) side of the menu for our main entree's and desserts. Having access to the Sommelier in the MDR allowed hubby and I (who aren't normally wine drinkers) to try some different stuff that we also LOVED. My parents are pretty dedicated to Princess having at least 5 cruises under their belts. Hubby and I did one Princess in 2014 on the Caribbean Princess in March 2014. It was okay. Not spectacular, but not fantastic either. It was a cruise and we weren't at work for seven days so it would be hard to be that bad! We also liked the buffet on X. My parents are NOT buffet folks and they chose to eat lunch there every day. I would either do buffet or grab a burger from the grill and join the family for lunch. Hubby liked the deli sandwich options on X.

We are going on the Ruby Princess to the Mexican Riviera/Sea of Cortez on April 8, 2016 and have a Southern Caribbean booked on the X Summit in April 2017. The X 2017 cruise was supposed to be in March 2017, but we got bumped for a private booking of the ship, and X tried to placate us with offering the Eastern Caribbean on the Silhouette (which we just did...) so our TA went to bat for us and we got moved to the April 2017 sailing, we had booked Aqua Class aft cabins and got bumped from those which SUCKS. We were looking forward to our first aft cabin experience. We are considering seeing if we can push the X 2017 cruise to maybe 2018 and doing another Princess in 2017, but we'll make that decision later after we see what kind of "deals" we'll be offered on board in April.

Actually, based on our experience, this is inaccurate. It may seem like a small point, but there are two doors that must be opened before you actually enter the laundry room, therefore there generally is no direct line of sight into the room.

Second, and we always try to book a cabin as close as possible to the self service laundry due to the convenience, we have never experienced any noise noise from slamming doors or milling people. You basically don't even know it's there unless you use it.

Finally, as has been stated previously, many of us take longer vacations and cruises and find the self service laundry to be an enormous and economical convenience. Also, my husband cringes at the thought of someone else doing his laundry, but that of course is a product of his control freak OCD thing. :D

Actually I am quite right, I've seen it.....pax had somehow locked or tied up the doors open probably cause it was hot and there were 4 or 5 of them all hanging out just outside the laundry door for I assume the same reason, heat. I have seen this a couple of times on different ships, not always but it does happen but if you have OCD issues I could see the benefit, for me and ESPECIALLY my wife laundry is strictly a no go on vacation, same as eating at the buffets...she only wants her food to be served to her and her laundry to be done by anyone but her! :D

There are 5 S Class ships each of which have lawns on deck 15. The last two ships in service, Silhouette and Reflection feature The Alcoves - 8 revenue producing relaxation pods with waiter service and a sun shade. The cost is $99 total for a port day and $149 for a sea day (obviously the more popular day)

Here's an Alcove

24806058211_a831b29ee1_b.jpg

As you can see there is seating for more than two people- you are paying for the whole Alcove, not per person. There is a walking track a foot behind them so you may hear people talking as they walk by on their way to the Sunset bar nearby.

They are available to you, once reserved by dialing 7000 on the ship and I believe can be booked online before you sail. If you book on the ship you can use OBC to pay for them. If you want a particular one (and I wanted one closest to the Sunset bar so I could pop out for a smoke) you see this man, Rodrigo on the Silhouette, when he's setting them up before 9 a.m.

24319537203_ccf18d79f8_b.jpg

Express your preferred location (2 of them are very close to the Lawn Club Grill where there will be cooking demos and people eating/talking) and your name goes on it.

24271269064_5662c497fe_b.jpg

Pool towels and bottles of iced water are provided as is a fruit plate to get your day started.

24272533033_66b72baf29_b.jpg

For drinks you pick up the phone in the Alcove and Rodrigo answers. After that exertion you may want to go lie down in one of the 8 hammocks there.

24271279034_10449bb1f4_b.jpg

At 3 pm your cheese plate arrives. Rodrigo is assisted by Val from the Lawn Club Grill who doesn't know portion control. Cheese for two people. LOL!

24272537123_34eff2d716_b.jpg

More....

There's a useable Wi-Fi signal here, between the funnels on deck 15

24272535163_59499f13ca_b.jpg

Check your daily news sheet in the morning to see whether lawn games will be played today. They are held on the port side lawn and can be noisy.

Bocce Ball

24603385902_e58a25a2db_b.jpg

Starboard side would be quieter. If you get hungry at lunch time you can dine at the Lawn Club Grill. The waiter is there for drinks only so you can't send him to the Mast Grill for a burger. As the two people serving you in the Alcoves work in the LCG I am sure they could bring you lunch from there. Lunch is $25, dinner $45 per person. Yummy food.

24094497273_46d12720c8_b.jpg

If there's a concert on the Lawn you already have a front seat.

24353650809_27634510aa_b.jpg

Surprisingly given the price the Alcoves can be booked solid for the week. We put our names on the waitlist and got them twice so cancelations do happen.

PAYING TO RELAX?

ADVANTAGE PRINCESS

(FOR THE LOWER COST, THE PEACE AND QUIET AND PROXIMITY TO A POOL/HOT TUB)

Yum, just mentioning Lawn Club Grill has reminded me that it may be time to look at the Specialty restaurants.

Ruby Princess has two fixed ones and a pop-up called the Crab Shack which appears in a section of the buffet on a few nights.

The fixed ones are Sabatini's (which has been replaced on Ruby since by a new concept-SHARE by celebrity Chef Curtis Stone from Australia) and The Crown Grill a steak house found on many Grand Class ships.

Sabatini's is Northern Italian cooking so dishes aren't swimming in marinara sauce. We usually eat there on our first night as we get the dinner comped, being Suite guests. It lets us know for sure we are back at sea on a Princess ship. Italian music softly plays overhead.

The only time we changed this ritual was our Emerald Cruise where we spent 2 days in Rome before boarding. We thought it would be unfair on Sabs after eating Roman food cooked by Italians. We think you need an Italian to cook Italian food.

It just tastes better.We ate in the Crown Grill instead. Italy isn't known for it's seared meats the way the USA is. (Texas I'm talking about you!)

The room though and the service are part of a good dining experience for only $25 per person.

* The following pics are from Ruby's sister the Emerald Princess.

22247310720_0d1bbd464f_b.jpg

22248453589_5c86d35e56_b.jpg

A room for a dinner party

22247562868_09eb538df7_b.jpg

A view over the stern

22409257716_10d80e90c3_b.jpg

Every Italian restaurant needs one of these meat slicers

22435260565_2a26dc5e53_b.jpg

And certainly one of these

17899437590_f6066a66cc_b.jpg

Alas, Sabatini's has discontinued our favorite dish which was Branzino (Sea Bass) baked in a salt crust and filleted table side.

Next- Crown Grill

Thanks, Norris. I think this is the third review of yours I have read and have greatly enjoyed all of them. I especially appreciate the way you deal with contrarian responses to your conclusions. Case in point ... Meeting the sheriff in either martini setting to discuss your different points of view.

We head to Buenos Aires on Friday to go around the Cape on the Star Princess, then have a New England cruise booked in 2017 on X Summit. Having been on both cruise lines before I enjoy them both ... For us X wins by a nose, and not a Jimmy Durante nose, but more a Shirley Temple type of nose. Am I showing my age? I guess I could have gone with Wolowitz's nose on the Big Bang vs Beyonce's, but I'll stick with Jimmy and Shirley.

Wow, you are an opera fan! Opera in Seattle..... May I guess it was Wagner's Ring cycle?

First time was a A Ring Cycle in 1995, then Tristan und Isolde (my favorite) in 2000. We travel for Wagner and no one else. We have been to Bayreuth twice but failed to get tickets this year. Last time was 2013.(my first Blog story).

Our cars have Wagner opera personalized plates but one was stolen so the replacement car can't use that plate.

Norris

Thanks, Norris. I think this is the third review of yours I have read and have greatly enjoyed all of them. I especially appreciate the way you deal with contrarian responses to your conclusions. Case in point ... Meeting the sheriff in either martini setting to discuss your different points of view.

We head to Buenos Aires on Friday to go around the Cape on the Star Princess, then have a New England cruise booked in 2017 on X Summit. Having been on both cruise lines before I enjoy them both ... For us X wins by a nose, and not a Jimmy Durante nose, but more a Shirley Temple type of nose. Am I showing my age? I guess I could have gone with Wolowitz's nose on the Big Bang vs Beyonce's, but I'll stick with Jimmy and Shirley.

Hi and welcome, I envy you sailing around the Cape!

Third review? Six more to go!

Regarding my responses- I answer anyone who disagrees in a calm and reasonable way as that's my nature. If, however someone seems illogical, as happened early in the review and is looking to indulge in verbal swordsmanship then I pass with a sigh and move on. Life's too short to get your panties in a bunch over nothing-at least mine is. I make light of "first world problems" when I know the problems faced by the majority of people on earth.

Some guy didn't like my banter and humor but that's me and always has been.

I like to laugh. I suggested he not read it. It's not essential reading and anyone who doesn't like it can quote that phrase and say "you're telling me" and feel better about himself. CC is an opinion and info board and I have opinions on just about everything but so does everyone else.I also have plenty of info and don't mind sharing it even if it takes a lot of computer work.

I am glad you enjoy it.

Bon Voyage!

Norris

Norris, you said not to miss the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. How much is it, and how would that work in Alaska? Thank you.

Mel

1 $100 for two.

2. Wait and I'll show you later in pics and video.

Norris

Hey now.....debating over Martini's was my idea! :eek: :D

Crown Grill is a steakhouse on Princess ships where for $25 each people can chow down on succulent seared meats and warm water lobster. Eat as much as you want. The meat cuts are Saran-wrapped and brought out for you to choose.

We usually order the 8 oz filet as we love it and also want to have apps and desserts afterwards. There are a number of sides- mushrooms, creamed spinach, baked potato, herbed French fries etc. They will bring you all of them if you can't decide and you can share. I always go for French fries and spinach and a few lobster tails. A bottle of Malbec and I am happy.

16242067537_2b63258299_b.jpg

Decor is old school steakhouse-dark wood, dim lighting, leather booths etc.

it can get very busy even though it is a huge room with walls and doors so definitely reserve a table. There is an open kitchen where savory smoke wafts and the sound of sizzling flesh resounds. I'm getting hungry here.

16448019641_2b6e99ecfa_b.jpg

16448824762_5bd821ac35_b.jpg

Open Kitchen

16263517819_174fb47689_b.jpg

They have a dessert called the Crown Dependence which is actually 5 small desserts on one plate. Too much for me after Tiger Prawns, Onion Soup and a steak dinner so I usually have this....a peanut butter dessert by Master Chocolatier Norman Love...

16241732719_cac1d2d637_b.jpg

You cannot get food this good on land for $25 a head...

Next...X (later)

The genial manager stops by on Formal evening to ask if there is anything he can do for us. I tell him there's a seagull casting a shadow on me from above.

He gets a rifle and shoots it. "Will there be anything else you require sir?" Nope!

Quote from Norris

You are too funny, you really make my day.

Mj